Author Topic: Paula Dean and Driving Miss Daisy Muffins  (Read 9665 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Paula Dean and Driving Miss Daisy Muffins
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:51 am »
The Paula Dean controversy has to be one of the most contrived news events of recent memory. A White woman who was born in the heart of the Jim Crow era used the word Nigger. I defy anyone above the age of 10 to say they have never used a racial epithet of any kind during their lifetime. Now this is no tragedy as Dean is a multi-millionaire and her being fired from Food network is a part of the game. She could've easily been dropped for flagging ratings, a younger Southern version, contract dispute etc. its a business and right now Dean is bad for the brand.

The notion that hypocrisy should be celebrated over candor and transparency is the worst aspect of this entire episode. A simple denial and Paula could've been hardening the nation's arteries at will for years to come.

I expect that in a few weeks Saint Oprah will have Dean on her network and absolve her of all sins.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Paula Dean and Driving Miss Daisy Muffins
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:28:27 am »
What is the "Paula Dean controversy"?   

What happened?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:41:21 pm »
I'm not shocked at her revelation.
Still, I can't say I feel sorry for her.  Compared to the neighborhood diner waitress who mouths off at a customer and is fired, she'll be just fine.

side note- who (if anyone) is the African American analog to her shtick?  I scarcely pay attention to most of these food/cooking 'gurus'...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:41 am »
The Paula Dean controversy has to be one of the most contrived news events of recent memory. A White woman who was born in the heart of the Jim Crow era used the word Nigger. I defy anyone above the age of 10 to say they have never used a racial epithet of any kind during their lifetime. Now this is no tragedy as Dean is a multi-millionaire and her being fired from Food network is a part of the game. She could've easily been dropped for flagging ratings, a younger Southern version, contract dispute etc. its a business and right now Dean is bad for the brand.

The notion that hypocrisy should be celebrated over candor and transparency is the worst aspect of this entire episode. A simple denial and Paula could've been hardening the nation's arteries at will for years to come.

I expect that in a few weeks Saint Oprah will have Dean on her network and absolve her of all sins.

Perhaps you are right about Oprah :).

As for Deen I'm not too shocked about this, though I think her being Southern is an excuse. Many whites, North, South, Midwest, you name it say the n-word presently or have at the past. I think Deen just got caught out there, she violated an unspoken code. She is a public figure who revealed her racist language and her fondness for the antebellum period without resorting to vagueness or euphemisms and it's made it easier to skewer her than to reflect on how many people out there still harbor similar views. And why that might be so? Blaming it solely on the South or her age are cop outs. So in 60 years time she has never been anywhere but the South? And she hasn't learned anything different about race in 60 plus freaking years? Even within the South there is a lot more diversity than is generally acknowledged or portrayed in the media and she never ventured into any of those places? Perhaps not, but I don't think it does the country a benefit to just hang it on living in the South.

I'm fine with Food Network's decision. Sure Deen has the right to say that word but doing so involves consequences and she's reaping some of that now. I think a lot of this outrage is overblown. A white person said something racist. Why are we shocked by this? I think all of us have that tendency to put our head in the sand too much and pretend that even legalized segregation was a million years ago instead of a generation or a couple in the past. It's a generation for me, but maybe a couple or more for younger folks.

Since that time we've had fights over school integration, affirmative action, unequal justice, gentrification, voting access, etc., etc., and yet most of us seem to want to cling desperately to the idea that many of the things that animated the 50s-60s Civil Rights Movement were slayed for all time, when perhaps they just changed forms. Others might have given way and some advancements made, but still a lot of work is left to be done.

Further this need to pretend that race isn't a big deal anymore makes us ill equipped to deal with situations like this when it hits you in the face, so there is an overcompensation of outrage to cover up perhaps peoples' own racist feelings or their naivety regarding racial progress.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:27:46 am by Emperorjones »

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:33:08 pm »
I DEMAND that all Food network and QVC celebrities take the Paula Deen litmus test! 8)

I guarantee there will be a lot of blank stares, running past reporters, and ice-grills taking place.

ambush Reporter- Excuse me, Mr. Flay, may I ask you a question?

Bobby Flay- Sure, go ahead.

Ambush Reporter- Have you ever heard used a racial epithet?

Bobby Flay-...

Ambush Reporter- Mr. Flay, Mr. Flay, could you please.. huff.. pufff .. slow down and answer the question?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:37:32 pm »
I don't think we have to go that far. Deen was answering questions in a deposition because someone brought a discrimination suit against her. It's not like she was plucked from out of the blue and made this month's racist poster child.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 07:46:50 pm »
I don't think we have to go that far. Deen was answering questions in a deposition because someone brought a discrimination suit against her. It's not like she was plucked from out of the blue and made this month's racist poster child.

I think we should.

The hypocrisy being shown here has reached ridiculous levels. Deen told the truth under oath, quite obviously a lie would've been better for the bottom line. If Food Network doesn't support this language then all of their stars should be vetted for the same offense.

You can add any other celebrities who are so "Shocked" and "Outraged" about it.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:58 am »
By applying that standard, where would it stop? Almost every person in America-of all colors-would be fired if the use of racial slurs-past and present-were a litmus test to employment.

There are two issues here, IMO, one is Deen's use of racial slurs but also (IMO more importantly) the discrimination suit. If the other Food Network stars are using racial slurs in private, but that is not affecting their work environment, should they be 'outed' and then fired? If it's a private thing-even though I don't like it-I think the case for getting rid of them is a slippery slope. Now if they make their views public, and since they are public figures and the faces of a company-then their employment status should be fair game because it now interferes with the company's bottom line.

I think it's a higher issue with Deen not simply because she has been exposed but because of the alleged hostile work environment she created. This is more than a free speech issue, which perhaps it is getting depicted as by defenders and detractors.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 05:45:25 am »

I think we should.

The hypocrisy being shown here has reached ridiculous levels. Deen told the truth under oath, quite obviously a lie would've been better for the bottom line. If Food Network doesn't support this language then all of their stars should be vetted for the same offense.

You can add any other celebrities who are so "Shocked" and "Outraged" about it.
She didn't just "say" a bad word.  She's racist.  She practiced racial discrimination and made a hostile workplace.  And was clueless about it.  The Food Network saw her as a liability and fired her .  Smart move on her part.  She's gonna lose the lawsuit, be in the time out box, and, sadly, get another job six months from now.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:45:06 am »
I've never like any of her crappy cooking utensils, anyway.

My mother has a set of frying pans stamped with her signature on them and the coating flakes off very easily like any other cheap junk.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:41 pm »
I don't know about this one, if it was so hostile why did the worker wait almost a decade to say anything? Not saying Paula deen is innocent or anything just saying the worker might not be the innocent little lamb herself

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 05:47:29 am »
I don't know about this one, if it was so hostile why did the worker wait almost a decade to say anything?

Because when it comes to high profile discrimination lawsuits, the legal wrangling almost always takes approximately 10 years before the case appears in court.

Besides, the word was out already years ago.  The rumors of this case began to surface in stand-up comedy acts.*

*See Paul Mooney: Godfather of Comedy

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46:35 am »
Or to be more specific about it, it took the plaintiff that long after deciding on this route to A) find credible legal counsel B)have said counsel  assess the merits of the case C) present a settlement offer to the other side.

Im guessing attempts to settle out of court failed, so here we are.

I can't imagine there being a 10 year statute of limitations on a discrimination case.

P.S.:  She was hired in 05 and finally quit in 2010. That accounts for everything time wise.

It didnt take the plaintiff 10 years to file a lawsuit. She took the alleged abuse for 5 years then it took her
3 years to take it to court.

As for why she took it that long, you will put with a whole hell of a lot if you have a family
and jobs are hard to come by.

Hell you can even forget the "have a family" part.

If I had a quarter for every time I heard the "I need my job" line given as a reason why complainants tolerate
scrappy to hellish job situations, I could retire myself.

Nothing about this is beyond the pale.

For the restaurant biz?

There is lot of stuff like this happening I'm sad to say.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:12:03 am by Vic Vega »

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:00:47 am »
Gotcha. Also I don't live in that area so it's probably a lot harder to prove and win a discrimination lawsuit.