Author Topic: who are we? where you at?  (Read 57938 times)

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
who are we? where you at?
« on: August 01, 2006, 06:46:47 pm »
Thought we could try this again without BS.

I'll start, again.  Sorry to those who posted, if you could post again that would be cool.

Aiight.  Figure I'd try to combine some of the biography threads from the old forum.

Me? 

Vocatoin: HS Special Ed Teacher, former Police Officer, Former Social Worker, Former Nightclub bouncer. 

Marital Status: Married

Long Term Goals: Size 38 waist

Short Term Goals: Keep my school from burning down

Education: Graduate, U of Wisconsin, Madison, BA English/Creative Writing and Sociology (double major)

Likes: Pie.  BBQ.  Lemonade.  Comic books.  Action figures. Michael Mann. 

Dislikes: Depeche Mode

You cats can do it this way , or whatever way you want.  Let's just get to know each other a little better...

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
Re: who are we? where you at?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:57:06 pm »
I thought I was in a phase shift bcuz I was about to make a post then BAM, an error message came.  Here I go:

Vocation:  Satellite Installer (DISH)

Married Status:  Married w/ HS sweetheart w/ 2 daughters (next to God they are my foundation)

Long Term Goal:  maintaining a good health w/ type I diabetes

Short Tem Goals:  getting a 2nd job to afford MORE COMICS

Likes: God, His prophets and messengers,  BBQ Beef Ribs, Telapia (Fish and I know I spelled it wrong), comic books, my conversations w/ HEF members.

Dislikes:  Satan, fake ass / disrespectful people, snakes (I will not see Snakes on the Plane)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 05:21:36 am »
So... you deleted the thread to start again?

Vocation: Office monkey, looking to go into teaching next year

Marriage status: Single

Long term Goal: Get a better job, get inshape, keep everyone happy

Short Term Goal: Pay off credit cards (nearly there), not be single

Likes: Football (the real kind, where you can't use your hands), comics, animation, hip-hop, indie writing, drawing

Dislikes: Most politicians and fanboys, Diddy

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:26:37 am »
So... you deleted the thread to start again?

yeah, some of the arguing and hate spilled over into this thread and was taking it over.  Rather than have that ugly stain on here anytime anyone wanted to get to know each other better I thought it would be best to start it over. Again, sorry for the inconvience, just trying to remove some of the animosity.  From ALL sides (I am not trying to single anyone out).  I deleted my puppy/michelle yeoh thread for the same reason.  What started out as a joke became more BS, and I think there has been enough of that around here lately.  I'll post up more puppies and michelle yeoh later...  ;D

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 06:46:50 am »
I'll post up more puppies and michelle yeoh later... ;D
Oh, you better. ;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:42:05 am »

Vocation: Broke-ass musician. Former high school choir director. Former church musician. Former musical director.

Marital Status: Single

Long Term Goals: Breaking 250 lbs. Making a living. Getting my music out there.

Short Term Goals: Get everything done. Keep home from falling apart.

Education: B.S. Music Education. Florida A&M University. M.M. Music Theory. Indiana University.

Dislikes: Running. Elevator "music." Being broke. Being fat. Instigators.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 08:41:35 am »

vocation: supervisor at a residential treatment facility for youth

education: degree in sociology georgia southwestern university b.s. sociology; about 30 hrs in m.s. in community counseling

likes: comics, home theater, new dvds presented in dts format, video games, computer, hef forum, n.f.l. football go falcons, beer

dislikes: fanboys, rude people, gas prices

special powers: the uncanny ability to see through and detect bullsh*t

long term goals: save enough for my own business ( a sports bara)

short tem goal: do some work on my truck

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:28 am »

vocation: supervisor at a residential treatment facility for youth

education: degree in sociology georgia southwestern university b.s. sociology; about 30 hrs in m.s. in community counseling

likes: comics, home theater, new dvds presented in dts format, video games, computer, hef forum, n.f.l. football go falcons, beer

dislikes: fanboys, rude people, gas prices

special powers: the uncanny ability to see through and detect bullsh*t

long term goals: save enough for my own business ( a sports bara)

short tem goal: do some work on my truck

but you forgot, looks uncannily like Martin Lawrence...  ;D

CIENCIANO

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 09:25:42 am »

i study sociology too.
who are your favorite sociological books??

I like Siemmel a lot.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:30:49 am »

i study sociology too.
who are your favorite sociological books??

I like Siemmel a lot.
--------------------------
first of all i would like to keep this convo simply about the bios that sam wilson wants for this thread. so keeping it on track i will tell you that i was the first college educated person in my family. i did not choose sociology as a major it choose me. i was general studies major when i started school and i looked for the major that had the least amount of math involved and i would find the most interesting. i sat in a sociology 101 class and loved it. i was a natural for the field. to answere your question i did not go to school for "intellectual enlightenment" or to be a social activist. i wanted to make money and in my hometown you either worked at the local mills, went into the millitary or you hit the corner. i found another option go to school. i pimped the system and got a sheet of paper that said i could make a little more money then the next man who did not have that sheet of paper. come to find out my field of study won't make me rich. in fact becasue of my hard work in beig promoted through the system i would not make any more money finishing my masters degree unless i change careers. i did manage to learn a little something something at the university. i like

dr. harry edwards a big emposing black man who you would be proud to know organized the famous boycott at the 1968 summer olympics (remember the black fist in the air?) he started a course of study called sports sociology. his impact on the world might not be as much as a marx, lenin or some of the other names you mentioned but when he talks he makes sence to me. some of you might remember him from the oj trial. every white interviewer wanted to have him on his show because he did not mind calling oj a sell out and uncle tom and would have an educated learned way of saying it. so the thing about erv is that im a regular nig erm brother from around the way who know a little something something. i know all about the ramifications and the history of the middle eastern, israli/ palenstine conflict but since im not going to be taking up arms and fighting anyone im going to sit my a*s over here sip on a m/f brew holla at yall on the hudlin forums and raise my son. i will also try to steer these bad ass kids i work with the right way and if i can stop one of them from choosing a life of prostitution or drugs then i can say  i made my mark. :)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 11:55:49 am »
Dr. Harry Edwards, Professor of Sociology at the University of California - Berkeley is from East St. Louis.  Respect, blue.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 12:01:12 pm »
Dr. Harry Edwards, Professor of Sociology at the University of California - Berkeley is from East St. Louis.  Respect, blue.

small world brothers, my brah, Vern Andrews, did his dissertation in Sociology and Sports, and he went to Berkley for his undergrand.  I'm betting that Edwards guy was one of this professors.  Small world indeed...

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 12:32:56 pm »
omg. that is deep on so many levels. see the paradox? we are so similar on this board in taste, beliefs, likes and dislikes. when i listen to you brothers i feel like we are right on the same page (doing the two finger point at the eye thing). so for you all to point that out it's almost like that 6 degrees of seperation thing or is it the six degrees of kevin bacon? lol. anyway dr. edwards ison fire. i like him becasuse he is so anti b/s and he can wade in and out of that intellectual/ street relm easily. east st lois, curtis metcalf, reggie hudlin, miles davis and now dr. harry edwards. wow.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 12:42:25 pm »

small world brothers, my brah, Vern Andrews, did his dissertation in Sociology and Sports, and he went to Berkley for his undergrand.  I'm betting that Edwards guy was one of this professors.  Small world indeed...

It would've been hard to avoid Dr. Edwards.  He was the pioneer in Sociology and Sports.  He had to defend it as a worthy academic pursuit.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is one of the reasons your man went into Sociology and Sports.  He is just as blue describes him, flowing easily from academia to street and in between.  He was working as a consultant with the 49ers also.  One of my role models. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 12:43:29 pm »

vocation: Executive Assistant (FT), actor/model (PT), Vendor (PT)

education: 2 years at University of Colorado at Denver

likes: traveling, reading, running, volleyball, basketball, music

dislikes: fanboys, rude people

special powers: the uncanny ability to work 5 jobs simultaneously and go for months without a day off

long term goals: save enough for my own business ( professional clown)

short tem goal: have a Roth IRA before the year is out