Author Topic: ANOTHER ANGLE ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
ANOTHER ANGLE ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:10:02 pm »
Reggie,

Some years ago I wondered how the federal courts would react if a black player who was cut by a National Basketball Association (NBA) team, sued that team for racial discrimination because white players with lesser skills (running, jumping, dunking, etc.) than he, were hired by the team.  At that time the NBA was nearly 80% black, but about 90% of those buying tickets and NBA paraphernalia were white.  Given this disparity, it was whispered that if the NBA were forced to hire without regard to race, it would become essentially an all-black league and cease to be a viable commercial enterprise.

Certain friends who remember my long-ago musings have contacted me lately and suggested that,  if the U. S. Supreme Court rules in favor of Ms. Abigail Fisher in her affirmative action case against the University of Texas, the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Football League (NFL) should expect similar lawsuits.

Weíll see.

Best regards,

Dave

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
Re: ANOTHER ANGLE ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:45:48 am »

American jurisprudence distinguishes between public (government-funded) and private (family/investor-funded) institutions.  The NBA is a corporation, and "corporations are people, my friend."  Somehow, though, the University of Texas, the University of Michigan, Congress, and the Executive Branch are not "people," and thus, their actions to achieve racial equity in education, contracting, and employment must be challenged.

Private academies, country clubs, neighborhood associations, and sports leagues must be able to preserve their right to discrimination, especially racially.

I don't see any state, circuit, appeals, or federal court siding with an African American player against the NBA.  There is no legal recognition of the systemic advantages white, heterosexual men enjoy and those privileges are shielded from any scrutiny by their pervasiveness in private organizations.

One significant mistake of the civil rights and anti-discrimination protections of the mid-1960s was their emphasis on showing how women, immigrants, the disabled, and African Americans suffered negative effects of public policy *without* a similar focus on how men, the native-born, the able-bodied, and whites benefited from positive evaluations in the private sector.

As a result, segregationists like the Council of Conservative Citizens who fought every effort to implement civil rights laws over the last  forty years can now fund cases like Fisher to "protect" the rights of white Americans against fictitious discrimination in public institutions.  They even have Justice Clarence Thomas to justify to re-segregation of the United States as the maximum benefit to African Americans as he did in yesterday's concurring opinion.

Until there is a network of private institutions as dedicated to racial justice as Hollywood/Wall Street/HWCUs/USCoC are to racial inequality, there will be no chance for true freedom for African Americans in the United States.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:24:47 am »
Now if I am not mistaken isnt the majority of the school already white as it is where 80% of UT is the case. Basically in sum a black player whom was denied can use the race card since he wasn't selected to be drafted because a "white male whom isnt as qualified was drafted"  ::)
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:23:08 pm »
"... black player whom was denied can use the race card.." ? ?

What is this...?    Poker?

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »
"... black player whom was denied can use the race card.." ? ?

What is this...?    Poker?
sarcasm
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:35:40 pm »
sarcasm

Oh, sorry. :-[

Sometimes, It's difficult to pick up on that through HEF.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:55:37 am »
My first real introduction into organized sports was in the Quarter-Back position (#8). Somehow I Ďwindupí in the Wide-Receiver's position (#88). The exact opposite. I wanted to finish what I started. I learned early about the politics of the QB spot. I didnít take it personally. I knew there was an entertainment aspect to the game (in integrated schools).

History created AA not black people. 

In Alexandria they tried to monopolize all written texts. Knowledge was born in Africa. Itís too bad Africans were denied the very information they help create. After that, many Africans drifted back into a simpler way of living & later classified as savages. 

Everyone deserves an equal opportunity to education.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:17:50 am by APEXABYSS »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:08 am »
it's depressing to see the latest legal developments-- it seems many/most people out there really do believe in all the hackneyed "colorblindedness will cure all" ethos--

http://tinyurl.com/ktadmd5

Be Kind to Someone Today.