Author Topic: Black Geek Stockholm syndrome  (Read 2212 times)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Black Geek Stockholm syndrome
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:58 am »
Black Geek Stockholm syndrome

Stockholm syndrome is named after the Norrmalmstorg robbery of Kreditbanken at Norrmalmstorg in Stockholm, Sweden, in which several bank employees were held hostage in a bank vault from August 23 to August 28, 1973. During this situation, the victims became emotionally attached to their captors, rejected assistance from government officials at one point and even defended them after they were freed from their six-day ordeal. Now how does this apply to geek culture especially black geek culture?

Recently the book Mighty Avengers is on its way and of course the nerds of color were foaming at the mouth. How is this attempt any different than what DC was doing with this “diversity push”? There is a myth and that we have to “buy 2” to make it work for this book. If we don’t do this then “don’t complain if things aren’t working out”. I find this logic to be highly debatable. That was done before that has failed miserably. “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result is insanity” Expecting the big 2 to make changes and you still pay money and then whine about why things aren’t working is insane.  I guess because your favorite hero of color finally made an appearance for the first time in 8 years?

For years you have writers rarely addressed anything that exists for people of color. You have writers comparing the sentinels to burning cross as a “symbol” of bigotry. You have writers whom flat out placed the N word in their books and want to claim that “mutey” is the equivalent of that. You have writers whom created some bogus claim that a character of color isn’t black. You have writers whom want to make it seem like an African male can relate to a black American woman because of their skin color. What was that dumb ass line again “soul brother”? You have writers whom will always have the white hero save their magical negro and this negro “risked his life” while pointing a finger: Look captain watch out! You have writers whom create a pretty bland and boring character of color that has no substance. This same bland and boring character of color will make the white hero “look better” especially if this one is a “black version” of the white one.

I’ve been reading Powernomics by Claude Anderson and been a frequent poster on a facebook group (comic nerds of color). Both of these have opened my mind that the big 2 don’t really give a rat ass about your viewpoint nor dollars. Why continue to bark at the airplane if they cannot hear you? What is the solution? Obviously support books that are written by people color whom are writing quality work. Seriously the book by Redjack is amazing. Jamal Igle has a kick starter of a 10 year old girl (yes she is white) but he has his own company to get this character out for young girls to relate to. Brandon Thomas’ Miranda mercury is actually a fun read. I haven’t read anything from Brandon Easton but he is a rising star and is the main writer of the current thunder cats reboot. He currently wrote a book that is receiving praise from many critics. I mean seriously we have the people and the products out there.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Black Geek Stockholm syndrome
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:40:34 am »
LOL, I started that topic!  (which I guess means I just revealed my real name)

Yeah, the syndrome is real, and I have no idea how to solve it.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:57:20 pm »
I got it from Comic Nerds Of Color on FB. Brandon Easton I think brought it up.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »
I got it from Comic Nerds Of Color on FB. Brandon Easton I think brought it up.

Yup...  And I started topic.  Easton was the first to respond, LOL.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:05:22 pm »
fair enough. Ever since read that line it is like wow. It goes ham and peoples get upset too. Oh well. It is what it is. What I just posted I could've kept going.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
I can't disagree with Bmore's points. That being said, I am intrigued to see what's going to happen with Mighty Avengers. I'm also supporting Batwing and John Stewart on GLC. However I don't think many black comic book fans who are looking for realistic, three-dimensional, or kickass depictions of black characters (and not all black readers are looking for those things) are going to get a lot of that at either Marvel or DC. Heck, throw in the other major companies as well. Sometimes you might, but that's usually followed by a reversal.

I need to check out Claude Anderson. I read one of his books back in the day and I see he has some You Tube videos. I've been meaning to watch those.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »
I can't disagree with Bmore's points. That being said, I am intrigued to see what's going to happen with Mighty Avengers. I'm also supporting Batwing and John Stewart on GLC. However I don't think many black comic book fans who are looking for realistic, three-dimensional, or kickass depictions of black characters (and not all black readers are looking for those things) are going to get a lot of that at either Marvel or DC. Heck, throw in the other major companies as well. Sometimes you might, but that's usually followed by a reversal.

I need to check out Claude Anderson. I read one of his books back in the day and I see he has some You Tube videos. I've been meaning to watch those.
Dude those youtube vids of his are no joke.