Author Topic: Detroit officially files bankruptcy  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit officially files bankruptcy
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:45 am »
The "irony" is that Mr. Orr-- an alumnus of U. of Michigan, like the governor-- is an avowed Democrat who campaigned for Obama in the 2008 and 2012 elections-- before his appointment by governor Snyder, there was much local speculation on who the emergency czar would be: whether the self-described moderate Snyder would appoint someone with "strong conservative credentials", whether current career ties to Detroit/Michigan should be considered, and whether race should factor into the choice.

Hm.  Orr...?    ???

That name rings a bell...   especially around my way.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit officially files bankruptcy
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 09:51:09 am »
You know as person that is more 3rd party than anything. I grow tired of the self-righteous "conservative" mindet of pointing fingers but unwilling to take action. You're a resident this city why should find it cool to see your city detoriate regardless of party ties. You want "limited government" but at the same your states and counties are the ones that receive the most handouts all the time from the federal government.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Detroit officers engage in "Stop and Rob"
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:02:33 am »
 :o
"trust no one!!!"

Two veteran officers arrested, links to robberies of motorists--  depending on how this plays out, people are going to be more on edge than ever..

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22949343/breaking-news-police
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
"Free Sandwiches" Mayoral candidate carjacked
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 06:59:42 am »
ah, geez--

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/5875/write-in_candidate_mike_dugeon_carjacked#.Ufu6GkPD9Hg

this fellow is a write-in (stunt) candidate, who happens to share a similar-looking surname with yet another write-in (serious) candidate (whose write-in status resulted from a state court ruling on residency guidelines)--

more drama for sure by the primary next Tuesday-- the city clerk-- who is also running for reelection this year-- says it may take up to two weeks for all the votes to be completely tallied.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Detroit's first primary under bankruptcy
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »
Detroit's 2013 municipal primary is underway.  candidates for mayor and city council, primarily..

I voted at lunchtime. The good thing is, I was able to basically go right in and vote without a wait. The bad thing is, I was able to basically go right in and vote without a wait.  News reports estimate that folks only voted 13 - 17%, overall.  Primaries here are usually 'low'-- but it seems that issues of perceived voting rights abrogation under Emergency Receivership and bankruptcy didn't really motivate a groundswell of folks to show up at the polls this time.

-- the city may have its first legitimate white contender for mayor in decades, in former county prosecutor and ex-hospital chairman Mike Duggan.  Duggan also reportedly has the lion's share in fundraising PACs ($3 million+), including endorsements/donations from assorted bigwigs in the local corporate community.  Already accused of carpetbagging early on in his campaign (he moved into Detroit from an affluent suburb in the spring of 2012), Duggan nonetheless has maintained consistently high-polling among city residents.  County Sheriff Benny Napoleon will be the 2nd candidate; he was Detroit's chief of police from 1998 - 2001, leaving office just as a federal investigation began into the police dept. over various allegations of abuse and undue lethal force-- a federal consent decree demanding department-wide reforms has yet to be 100% compliant.