Author Topic: Al Jazeera America  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Al Jazeera America
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »

There is most definitely a "Liberal Media Vacuum".
I'm open to anyone who can articulate a vision of Civilization
As opposed to the mythical John Wayne Every-Man-For-Himself wild, wild west.
NWI (News World International) was a FANTASTIC alternative until Al Gore messed it up

Yeah, I'll give Al Jazeera a go

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:46:13 am »
I gave Al jazeera a shot a long time ago looking at "Al Jazeera english" whenever I had a chance to. It is refreshing to see people of color whom are the lead anchors of an international broadcast.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:20 am »
I'll check it out for sure, to see what it's about, and what type of coverage is involved with various subjects-- (Soledad O'Brien's coming back!  :-* )  Hopefully there will be lots of human interest stories about parts of the USA/world that are neglected in coverage, particularly in poorer/developing communities.

also, there is a suburban Detroit-based Arab-culture TV/internet-radio network, Middle Eastern America TV, that has a distribution deal with Comcast-

Website www.meatv-radio.com
Phone: 248-996-9636
Fax: 248-996-9635
Organizational Background: MEA TV and Radio is a 24 hour National Middle Eastern American television and radio network broadcasting on cable and satellite.

Curiously:  When AJA made a local press release announcement concerning opening a Detroit bureau, the language in it decried the rationale that metro Detroit has the largest Arab/ethnic middle-eastern population in the USA, but instead said the company's point of interest was the American auto industry.

I happened to be with a group of local black journalists who met with the CEO/President of MEA TV, Wally Jadan, a few weeks back.  Regarding the debut of Al-Jazeera America, he was less overwhelmingly enthused.  Based on the conversation that we had, he is convinced that AJ, is, quietly, just as agenda-driven as a Fox/NewsCorp, citing historical ties to the Qatar government, and allegedly anti-west provocateurs therein.

But we'll see-- hopefully AJA's reporters and anchors-- as well as production staff-- prove to be just as diverse as the parent network.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:29:30 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »

I'm excited to see a new option in cable news.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Al Jazeera America
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »

I'm excited to see a new option in cable news.

Actually, I'm excited to see YOU.