Author Topic: knowledge of self  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
knowledge of self
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:32:31 pm »

Do you have a soul?

Does your reading and writing here at HEF contribute to its growth?

Should this community have a holistic sense of self and belonging?

How can more introspection serve us all?

Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
Re: knowledge of self
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:15:53 am »

So much of the work in the afrofuturist tradition brings healing and inspiration ... what does it feel like to examine works like Black Kirby?

http://www.blacksci-fi.com/features/article/black_kirby_krackles_part_2_afro_futurism_and_hip-hop/#.Uhtw8-CjLww
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:20:33 pm »

does you use a committed meditation/prayer on a daily basis?
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »
Need to stay up on the HEF posts more. I'm actually surprised there haven't been more responses to this thread.

You might consider rewriting the subject line.

Do you have a soul?
I'm more of the opinion that I am a soul who has a body.

I would hope it does. It's the sole remaining forum I still come back to that isn't based on social media. Whether you agree, disagree, or even get along with other HEF members, there tends to be a richness of perspective that challenges you. Without that level of engagement from some of the best and creative minds around, I don't know if I would come back.

I don't think I can answer these questions. The community already has an identity, though I'm not sure I'd put it in the "holistic sense of self and belonging." Are you suggesting that there is a deficit or that the HEF is in need of a particular change?

So much of the work in the afrofuturist tradition brings healing and inspiration ... what does it feel like to examine works like Black Kirby?

http://www.blacksci-fi.com/features/article/black_kirby_krackles_part_2_afro_futurism_and_hip-hop/#.Uhtw8-CjLww
I'm away from home and can't check out the article now. I'll try to check it out tonight.

does you use a committed meditation/prayer on a daily basis?
It's one of the things I've been working on.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:31:42 am »
 I was curious about the core HEF participants' views about the overall experience here and how it serves them in outside life.  My gratitude for the community here is profound, so I'm always looking for opportunities to enrich it.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:29:14 am »
This a challenging thread to respond to.  I've been told that the level of discourse at HEF scares off some participants.  But there must be a safe space for elevated conversation.  By way of comparison, fb's "progressive black thinkers" site is always where the dumbest conversations happen. 

But as for soul, I believe in it.  And love and positivity enhances it.  I think this site does that. 

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 12:28:45 pm »

Do you have a soul?

1. I am a soul. My body is simply the mortal attachment to this plane of existence. The Bible affirms this.

2. I would like to think so. When the HEF was first founded I posted a critique of BET, a rather scathing one. A short while after some guy who posts here became President of entertainment at BET. Coincidence? You decide! 8)

3. I think the community has a sense of connection to one another. Being here from the beginning there are core members who come in and out but that are always an integral part of what happens here. The moderators help to facilitate this but not going on power trips when discussions become heated. Like any relationship with deep connections there will be conflict.

4. It would help us to realize our time is finite here and that ultimately we have a responsibility to leave the world a better place than we found it. The purpose is to accept Christ as Lord and savior and receive the blessing of eternal life.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »
I've been told that the level of discourse at HEF scares off some participants.  But there must be a safe space for elevated conversation.  By way of comparison, fb's "progressive black thinkers" site is always where the dumbest conversations happen. 

It may come off as immodest and even arrogant but I think HEF is what Black entertainment should look like in the 21st century. Every topic is covered here with a breadth of experience and a diversity of background that makes things interesting.

I think the HEF family may need to invade these other sites and link back here. As, Reggie, mentioned the other places that are supposedly bastions of intelligent Black thought are sorely lacking.