Author Topic: Hell On Wheels  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Hell On Wheels
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:22:53 am »
Anyone checking out "Hell On Wheels" on AMC?  The U.S. Government is trying to get the Trans-Continental Railroad on the right track in a post-Civil War setting but there are obstacles, stalls and just plain ol' hard work to get the trains up & running in the wild, wild West.   I don't know why the construction on the railroad is such a problem when Hell On Wheels...
...just makes Common sense.

I know this promotional image is long overdue but I really, really like it and yes...  the show is historically, a great drama. The look & feel of the show kinda reminds me of DJANGO UNCHAINED...

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Hell On Wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:12:25 am »
How often does Common's character run up against racists?  Is it handled "fairly"? does he get verbally abused (or worse) a lot?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:51:42 am »
How often does Common's character run up against racists?  Is it handled "fairly"? does he get verbally abused (or worse) a lot?

Quite often, Hype.   
That's what I find admirable about this show, is that it's very clear that the racist sting of  post-Civil War atmosphere is quite prevalent in the American timeline. For example, there was a scene in the season premiere where the main character, Cullen Bohannan had to pretend Common's character, Elam, was his butler alongside the other Black butlers to gain access inside a building where a group of White businessmen convened in a meeting in New York to win a contract on the Railroad.  Elam had no choice but to go along with the ruse. 

Elam gets dissed a lot on the show but he handles it well because he always gets the fun & biting quips.  It's not just him because he's Black... there are a lot of female characters that get dissed because they're women. Native Americans get dissed because they're considered savages that are to be pushed out of their territories.    We're talking 1867 here, so there's a lot of rich historical references in the dialogue and setting.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:02:20 am »
Hm.
New York Tribune

By Louise Ellison

Cullen Bohannon

HELL ON WHEELS, NELife on the prairie is ‘not worth the powder it takes to blow it all to hell,’ so say the denizens of ‘Hell on Wheels,’ the rollicking tent city that moves with the transcontinental railroad as it creeps across the country at a pace of two miles per day.

It is no place for women or children, as the men who labor here, veterans of the recent conflict, immigrants, and free Negroes, often take to drink and unchristian pursuits when not swinging a hammer or laying track.

Since spring has thawed the Nebraska soil, the new U.P. work site is up and running again. Rebuilt from its destruction at the hands of Indians last fall, the camp is teeming with immigrants fresh off the boat in search of work, railroad doves ready to provide their services, and a new Chief Engineer at the helm: former Confederate Cullen Bohannon.

I came to this Sodom and Gomorrah to see if the transcontinental railway can unite this war-torn nation. I came to interview the hardscrabble men who journeyed West to undertake such a grand endeavor in the name of national progress.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:22:12 am »
I just saw this thread, and now I must give this series a good looking into. Thank you, HEFfas...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:37:00 pm »
I just saw this thread, and now I must give this series a good looking into. Thank you, HEFfas...

The new season starts this Saturday on AMC, Supreme and anyone else who may be interested. 
I'm hoping this set of new episodes don't disappoint.  I certainly wasn't disappointed last season.  :)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:40:37 pm »
Wow.

That was some season finale in this evening's episode!