Author Topic: 12 Years a Slave  (Read 14634 times)

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Years a Slave
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 08:14:15 pm »
http://www.jewishjournal.com/hollywoodjew/item/the_black_holocaust_will_america_re_examine_its_shame

Here is an article from the Los Angeles Jewish Journal, prompted by (and promoting) the film. Discusses the "Black Holocaust" and issues surrounding memorials (or the lack thereof), and so forth. Think you might find it interesting.

The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:17 am »
http://www.jewishjournal.com/hollywoodjew/item/the_black_holocaust_will_america_re_examine_its_shame

Here is an article from the Los Angeles Jewish Journal, prompted by (and promoting) the film. Discusses the "Black Holocaust" and issues surrounding memorials (or the lack thereof), and so forth. Think you might find it interesting.
Good piece.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »
I had my doubts it would win the Oscar, but I'm happy I was wrong. It won!
And kudos for Lupita Nyong'o for picking best supporting actress for the same movie.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2014, 06:30:17 am »
‘12 Years’ Enjoys a Seemingly Narrow Victory
By BROOKS BARNES and MICHAEL CIEPLY
MARCH 3, 2014

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood made history on Sunday night — barely.

The best picture victory by “12 Years a Slave” at the 86th Academy Awards finally handed cinema’s most prestigious prize to a movie by a black filmmaker, in this case, the British-born Steve McQueen. But the triumph, which found Mr. McQueen dancing happily onstage, had all the earmarks of a true squeaker.

“No one will ever know the margin, but it certainly was not an easy win,” said Stephen Gilula, a president of Fox Searchlight, which released “12 Years a Slave.” “It was really a tossup right until the end.”

Perhaps because “12 Years a Slave” arrived at the ceremony without the air of historic inevitability, Mr. McQueen came across as a bit timid about seizing his place in the history books. When the best picture envelope was opened, the first to speak was one of the film’s white producers, the already famous Brad Pitt.

When Mr. McQueen did speak — before 43 million viewers, a 6.4 percent increase over last year’s TV audience — he did not immediately address the weight of what had just happened: Out of 500 films nominated for best picture over the years, his was the first black-directed winner. Instead, he thanked his publicist and numerous other people who dragged the film across the finish line, perhaps inadvertently exposing the puffings and wheezings of a six-month campaign.

“I think he was overwhelmed,” Mr. Gilula said by telephone on Monday morning.

Going into the night, a lot of professional awards strategists privately said they expected best picture to go to Alfonso Cuarón’s “Gravity.” That space thriller ended up winning seven Oscars, leaving “12 Years a Slave,” a period drama about a free black man kidnapped into slavery, with unusually light voter support. Mr. McQueen’s film won three Oscars; he notably lost best director to Mr. Cuarón.

Best director and best picture almost always win as a pair, with some high-profile exceptions. Francis Ford Coppola, for instance, lost the directing prize the year his “Godfather” took best picture. So there was no particular shame in Mr. McQueen’s slight. But the split was one more indicator of the presumably narrow margin by which “12 Years a Slave” won Hollywood’s highest honor.

Speaking to reporters backstage, Mr. McQueen at first sidestepped a question about his film’s historic win, deferring to Mr. Pitt. Another reporter tried again, more squarely asking Mr. McQueen to address being the first black director to win best picture. “Obviously, it’s a mark of development,” he said.

“12 Years a Slave,” based on a memoir that was first published in the mid-19th century, tells the story of Solomon Northup. Mr. Northup, who lived in New York, was abducted and sold into slavery, spending years on Southern plantations before ultimately winning his freedom. The book — “Twelve Years a Slave: Narrative of Solomon Northup, a Citizen of New-York, Kidnapped in Washington City in 1841, and Rescued in 1853, From a Cotton Plantation Near the Red River, in Louisiana” — became a staple piece of Abolitionist literature and then fell into obscurity, but in recent years has been revived by scholars.

Seventy-five years after “Gone With the Wind” won best picture, how important was it to Mr. McQueen to have the Academy recognize a film that depicted slavery from a very different perspective? “It’s just obviously a progression,” he said. “The background characters are now in the foreground.”

John Ridley, who won the best adapted screenplay Oscar for “12 Years a Slave,” becoming only the second black writer to receive that honor (Geoffrey Fletcher was the first, for “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”), was a bit more willing to reflect. “I’m very proud, I’m very humbled, and I’m very hopeful for the future,” he said. “I may only be the second, but I know there are so many people out there of so many different kinds of stripes, faiths and orientations that have stories to tell.”

Since Hattie McDaniel became the first black Oscar winner in 1940, for her supporting role in “Gone With the Wind,” the number of black nominees and winners in all categories has reached a total of about 125. The Academy has recently honored performers like Mo’Nique and Octavia Spencer and has strained to include more blacks, Hispanics and Asians in its membership. But change has come slowly, as many of the Hollywood disciplines — particularly film directing — continue to be dominated by white men.

Rather than reveling in the achievement of “12 Years a Slave,” Hollywood and the Internet quickly lit up instead with chatter of a perceived spat between Mr. Ridley and Mr. McQueen. Neither man thanked the other, and when Mr. Ridley was called to the stage, a camera caught him appearing to pointedly ignore Mr. McQueen, who was sitting on the aisle.

Mr. Ridley and Mr. McQueen did not respond to requests for comment on Monday morning, but a publicist for Mr. Ridley said he had thanked Mr. McQueen “on many occasions.” Mr. Gilula said he was not aware of any rift. “In creative collaborations, people go through cycles,” he said.

While Oscar vote counts are not publicly revealed, ticket sales are monitored closely; it was glaringly apparent that “12 Years a Slave” climbed into the history books without ever having truly ignited the audience. Through the weekend, the film had only about $50.3 million in domestic ticket sales, though it has performed well internationally.

Mr. Gilula disagreed. “The American public has embraced the movie far, far more than anyone thought,” he said, noting that some box office analysts were initially doubtful that “12 Years a Slave” could take in much more than $10 million.

Still, ticket sales for “12 Years a Slave” are now less than half those for “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” a similarly black-themed, reality-based movie.

Mr. Daniels is the only African-American to have had a film nominated for best picture (“Precious”). As it happened, “The Butler” was unexpectedly shut out of the Oscar race. It received no nominations, even for Oprah Winfrey, one of its heavily promoted stars.

That slam, just one in a year that would be full of them, helped clear the way for the “12 Years a Slave” victory. But only by a smidgen.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2014, 10:09:40 am »
It kind of makes sense that a movie specifically about the African American experience wouldn't do well internationally. So much of what we experience here is not known or would be difficult for others to relate to. I think the same would be the case for a movie made about the Afro-British experience, or any minority in other countries. It's so specific to that particular country's experience.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2014, 11:52:54 am »
It kind of makes sense that a movie specifically about the African American experience wouldn't do well internationally. So much of what we experience here is not known or would be difficult for others to relate to. I think the same would be the case for a movie made about the Afro-British experience, or any minority in other countries. It's so specific to that particular country's experience.

12 years has made more internationally than it's made here, though.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:44 pm »
That's good. I read an article discussing how movies about African Americans don't do well internationally. It probably helps that it has an international cast. I'm hopeful about movies about us and by us in the future. And unlike other folks I'm glad to see movies about slavery from the black experience perspective. I'd love to see movies that take place during the Reconstruction period as well.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:44 am »
Don't worry the "white hero" of slavery will be back once the John Brown movie is out
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 11:38:21 pm »

12 years has made more internationally than it's made here, though.

I would expect the film to be popular overseas ... given that it paints the United States in a negative light.  Of course unavoidable given the subject matter of the film.
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:58 am »
It should go without saying that slavery wasn't just an American thing...
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2014, 07:29:27 am »
Don't worry the "white hero" of slavery will be back once the John Brown movie is out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Lord_Bird

Plot[edit]

The memoirs of Henry Shackleford, a slave in Kansas during the Bleeding Kansas era, are discovered in a Delaware church. Henry, nicknamed "Little Onion" for eating a particularly rancid onion, accidentally encounters abolitionist John Brown in a tavern. Brown mistakes Henry for a girl because he wears a dress; Shackleford wears a dress for much of the novel. The two join together, and Henry narrates his encounters with Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, and the events at John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry. The book is narrated in the first person through Henry.

apparently this was a recent book; I wonder if this might be what they base it on...um...  ???
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:13:16 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

The_Scribe

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »
I'm off from work this week. So, I finally caught 12 Years A Slave.  This film can be used for teachable moments.  I think this film among other films should be required at HBCU schools. 
1.  It is interesting that the film credits note the character on which the film is based did not participate in the Abolition Movement until after he was freed. 
2.  The film reminds us that the White male has always had access to the black female in slavery.  While interracial is a reality, the coupling needing freedom down to this day is Black on Black coupling.
3.  It is interesting that the White female in the story is given more power over her White husband than would be traditional in a slave south.  The White woman would be treated as a sort of property herself.  Her bold words to her owner husband would be a rare event in the Old South.  White men could whip their wives like children for instance. 
4.  Constructive Integration is the most successive social effort.  People are good and bad.  Even today, we are sometimes robbed of equal ability to address wrongs in White/Black situations.  A Strong Good Black community interacting with a Strong Good White community is clearly the better social effort. 
Many lessons to teach.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2014, 08:32:10 am »

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:23 pm »
Damn it Battle, you made me chuckle.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2014, 12:08:25 pm »

I think "12 Years" had a white hero with Brad Pitt's character. So the white savior has never left us. "12 Years" was unique in that it wasn't about the white hero, it was about the black man who was saved by him.