Author Topic: Guess the Poster or Poser  (Read 9021 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Guess the Poster or Poser
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:06:43 pm »
Over on Silver Bullet comics, you know the site that if you do a google search for you get the hits for the female masterbatory toy and home of the "damn I thought this was a comic fan site site" we get treated with their year end review of moments for the past year. Every thing was going along fairly well with the usual articles from the torcherd soles of "comic fans/ journalist" when I came across this gem. My mouth dropped open when I read this one entry from a guy who !) either came up  with his article by reading the forums at newsarama or cbr or he is in fact a poster who not only dabbles in e-journalisim like our girl jen or he plagerised the postings of folks he shares oppinions with. I post this for us to consider the ethics.

The internet was going nuts over hudlin posting as an alias but what are the ethics for an e-journalist, help us out jen, who post as a fan on a message board and then use their position to "report" or give commentary or reviews on comics. My point is it is easy as hell to enter into a flame war or start eflamatory topics and then turn back around as a journalist and report it as news. See jenn is here as a fan and her stuff at b.e.t.com or at her fan sites have little to do with what she does here. This guys views sound so similar to what you read at cbr or newsarama it is hard to believe that he has not participated in or "lifted" his commentary right from the forums. I could be wrong and I very may well be but still yall can read "his views" and respond to what he said. I find it funny as hell that he takes a character that was pretty much in creative limbo untill she was thrust into the spotlight through reg/qusadas wedding plans. Say what you will about the quality of this book and if the wedding was rushed or not  but minus the x-men movie this is the most pub that storm the individual has ever gotten. The e-article ::)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Logan: 2006 was the year of changes, and by that I don’t mean those taking place in the comic-universes. The changes I speak of for an avid comic buff like yours truly are of a more personal nature. Starting the year my pull list had a near even split between the big two publishers (with Marvel leading at a little over half of the 50+ titles in my box), with the others (Image, Dark Horse, Indies) making up for paltry 5-7 titles. However, as of the end of December 2006, my Marvel reading is down to three (soon to be two) titles, the number of DC titles that I read has both increased and decreased throughout the year and now it’s the same number that I began the year at. All the Marvel drops have led to my trying out (and staying with) quite a few Indie publishers (including IDW, SLG, and most of all, the new upstart, Virgin). Going by that trend, instead of doing a “Top 5” column, I am doing an about turn and recognizing the “Worst 5” events, changes, whatchmacallits of 2006.

1. Storming into Obscurity: Storm. For a comic fan, even one in passing, the name alone is enough for him/her to not only recognize but even get a respectable enough mental picture of the character in question: her powers, her costumes and her physical features (including special quirks, i.e. the white hair and blue eyes, most of all her hair). However, while almost anyone will be able to place Ororo Monroe, Storm of the X-Men (even more so, thanks to Halle Barry’s rendition of her in the three X-Men movies), not many will term her as that “black chick” from the X-Men. One of the many minority characters on the X-teams, Storm is not only one of the most recognizable comic characters, she is also by far the most famous African-American character. (Note that she is American and not African, having been born in New York, USA, well, that is until the next wave of Joe-Hudlin-retcons). All this recognition, all this fame, and never has the race or the color of the skin of his character ever been a deterrent or a point to play…, until now. In the last year, ever since their House of M (and the X-Men’s “Wild Kingdom” story), Marvel has done everything in its PR-machine’s power to, not only play up (at every available or even deliberately forced opportunity) Storm’s racial heritage, they have done it in a way that has alienated her from the very base of her recognition and rise (the X-family and their millions of readers) and continue to do so with each passing month. Why all this? Why take Storm away from a place where she led her own team(s), and on more than one occasion, the whole X-Family and dump her in a setup that despite repeated decades spanning efforts has remained (and will remain) a niche corner of the MU? Try to imagine DC pulling a similar stunt and by means of retcons (almost all of them forced and incredibly tacky) setting up and going through the nuptials of Diana (Wonder Woman) and (gawd bless his brains) Ted Kord (Blue Beetle II). Now, just as idiotic this idea sounds, this proposed union between an A-level female character and a (at best) C-level male character is not all that different from what has been done with Storm. What is even more “cow pie in the face” for Marvel is that any hopes that they had from this “Farce of the Century,” any jump and sustained increase in the sales of the title Storm is in now, none of them came to fruition. Not one bit. One special issue, which was doubly loaded by slapping a Civil War tie-in on it, and not only did the sales return to previous issue’s levels, they also resumed the downward slide that that title has had ever since its first issue. So, what does that mean for Ororo Monroe, now an Ex-X-Woman? It means, that despite her mutation, this is one quicksand that even her winds won’t be able to pull her out of.
---------------------
 ::) ::) ::)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Guess the Poster or Poser
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:23:36 pm »
Have to admit that while that opinion is off the mark that he is voicing an opinion held by some X fans....at uncannyxmen.net there are some who feel the same way.  Hudlin can shut them up when he produces a saga that pulls in all of BP's greatest traits and brings Storm out in a way that has not happend in years.  There is still time for this to happen and he is writing some great stories but still needs a defining villain for BP, a saga story and a great fan favorite artist to push this book to perfection.

Jenn

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:42:49 pm »
1) No such thing as an e-journalist. if you're writing and it pays the bills, you're a journalist. If not, you're a blogger.

2) Posing as something and reporting on it is as old as journalism itself.

That being said, homeboy is a lousy writer. I couldn't even get past all that. My eyes are so far in the back of my head that I can see my own brain.

In the last year, ever since their House of M (and the X-Men’s “Wild Kingdom” story), Marvel has done everything in its PR-machine’s power to, not only play up (at every available or even deliberately forced opportunity) Storm’s racial heritage, they have done it in a way that has alienated her from the very base of her recognition and rise (the X-family and their millions of readers) and continue to do so with each passing month.

Translation: Storm is black now, and we're mad as hell.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:50:15 pm by Jenn »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 08:56:05 pm »
The poster is (ex)Storm fan, "Batman_Wolverine". What has he said in the posted piece to warrant this thread?
...Rassclaat.

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:03:16 pm »
Translation: Storm is black now, and we're mad as hell.

couldn't of said it better myself...misceganation is a hidden tool of white supremacy. In literature and movies they keep pushing that crap.

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:19:15 pm »
"Batman_Wolverine"

Oh! Sh*t, that's all you had to say. Pathetic fanbrat, HORRIBLE fanfic writer, and overall douche. A bitter RoLoer with his Underoos in a bunch.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 05:27:31 am »
The poster is (ex)Storm fan, "Batman_Wolverine". What has he said in the posted piece to warrant this thread?

yo seriously, those idiots at SHH are really terrible and really annoying.  They epitomize certain issues I have with X-fans who hate BP/Storm let alonelead one to the obvious racial conclusion.  I think I might make a list of some of the worst statements I've seen over there.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 06:28:52 am »
man, i'm almost embarrassed to be an x-men fan.
those cats are craaaaazzzzzyyy.

storm has to be a raceless bridesmaid...never knowing marriage or true love... she can only be made love to at whatever man's will...then she must suffer the dignity of being dumped the morning after...over and over again.

oh yeah... notice how he pointed out her WHITE hair and BLUE eyes?

BLUE EYES!

you know what he is sayin'...

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 06:33:32 am »
I have yet to read the post bluezulu has brought to us. I've only skimmed some of the responses of you others.

It does appear that for many fans - X-Men fans and otherwise - their perception of Storm is that she isn't, nor has she ever been a black woman. Now that it has been shown that without a doubt, she is indeed a black woman, those "X-Men fans and otherwise" who believed differently are discontented.

How sad. For them  ;)
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 06:55:45 am »
I can only guess since I don't know their minds or thought process, but it seems to me they've been pretending Storm is something she's not to enjoy her all this time. If you mention she's black they'll quickly bring up her other features as a way of saying "Yeah, but not really." Or my favorite, how she's an amalgam of ALL races.  ::) Being black is so offensive to them (subconsiously I'm guessing) they have to pretend, create a fantasy. Thanks to Hudlin, kinda hard to pretend anymore. They want their fantasy back.

Ironically, though, they keep bringing up her status as a team leader. Which was cool, but in effect they're saying that's all she should EVER aspire to, being basically third or fourth in command of a group of, for all intents and purposes, outlaws. Not queen of one of the most powerful nations on the planet, co-co-co leader of vigilantes. The "fans" making this practically their banner, in my mind, reveals their TRUE feelings toward Ororo each and every time.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 06:57:52 am by BPStorm4ever »
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 07:06:39 am »
I can only guess since I don't know their minds or thought process, but it seems to me they've been pretending Storm is something she's not to enjoy her all this time. If you mention she's black they'll quickly bring up her other features as a way of saying "Yeah, but not really." Or my favorite, how she's an amalgam of ALL races.  ::) Being black is so offensive to them (subconsiously I'm guessing) they have to pretend, create a fantasy. Thanks to Hudlin, kinda hard to pretend anymore. They want their fantasy back.

Ironically, though, they keep bringing up her status as a team leader. Which was cool, but in effect they're saying that's all she should EVER aspire to, being basically third or fourth in command of a group of, for all intents and purposes, outlaws. Not queen of one of the most powerful nations on the planet, co-co-co leader of vigilantes. The "fans" making this practically their banner, in my mind, reveals their TRUE feelings toward Ororo each and every time.

"If you mention she's black they'll quickly bring up her other features as a way of saying "Yeah, but not really." Or my favorite, how she's an amalgam of ALL races.  ::) Being black is so offensive to them (subconsiously I'm guessing) they have to pretend, create a fantasy. Thanks to Hudlin, kinda hard to pretend anymore. They want their fantasy back."

And that's the whole story in a concise, precise delivery. Perfectly put! If those "quacking ducks" have their way, Hudlin will be removed from his Panther writing assignment or become bored with the assignment and leave it. The Panther will be either cancelled or the Panther's marriage to Storm will be ended or retconned out of existence. That way, the "quacking ducks" could see the return of their favorite amalgamated female mutant sexual toy returned to them once again.

So Storm was a "team leader of the X-Men"  :D

How do those "quacking ducks" even attempt to equate being a "team leader" of the X-Men, something Kitty Pryde could have done and might have eventually do at some point, with being the Queen of mighty Wakanda?

If the Panther was **shudder** a white man, most of those "quacking ducks" would probably have no problem with Storm being married to him.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 07:28:30 am »
Agreed.  Seems that some do not identify Storm as Black because she was born in NYC...if they have ever been there then they would realize it is one of the few places in America where it feels/smells/tastes like a foreign country in some places...not like most of America at all...so her being born there is actually a nod to her African roots.  And some Black women do have white hair and some have blue eyes so again they have not travelled around the world to know Black features...they must be stuck in the backwoods somewhere and not see Black people unless they turn on the tv or look in an all White magazine.  Then again, they could be just as ignorant living right up in NYC in the same building as Blacks who have the same features as Storm.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 07:36:11 am »
sooo... do u think this is why Halle became STORM and not Angela Bassett?
I mean... Angela is a lil' more Sista girl than halle is.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 08:00:33 am »
sooo... do u think this is why Halle became STORM and not Angela Bassett?
I mean... Angela is a lil' more Sista girl than halle is.

I figured either age was a factor or they simply didn't ask or Angela simply didn't want to do it.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 08:17:58 am »
what if she would have said yes?
would she have blue contacts?