Author Topic: FRANK/RENZO REMATCH,K-1 MAX,GREEN POWER RANGER DOES MMA!!  (Read 14798 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: TITO V CHUCK II
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 02:02:50 pm »
I told ya to bet on Chucky..

I think he can defeat Rampage as well,.......... although I wouldn’t put any money on that one!

Rampage already beat Chucky,and I hope Rampage DESTROYS Chucky in a rematch.I wanna see a high profile brotha in the UFC for once...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 05:21:32 am »
supreme, I feel the same way, but Rampage of late isn't the same rampage who beat Chuck.  I hope that Rampage comes back and gives that boy a WHUPPIN' though...

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 01:43:30 pm »
What about my all-time favorite FRANK JUAREZ SHAMROCK? You know that FJS is signed to Showtime and the MMA show they have there,and he's supposed to annihilate Renzo Gracie there.Strikeforce,however,wants him to fight Phil Baroni on THEIR show in April,and says that FJS has a contract to fight his first fight of '07 with them and them alone.Controversy already,lol.I think FJS will win both matches,as I think he as the skill to outstrike Phil and definitely has nothing to fear on the ground against Phil.The problem here is purely RING RUST.I would really like FJS to really spend a good dollar sharpening his firepower,his standup defense (especially his head movement)...and I haven't seen what FJS' chin is like since he fought Bas waaay back during his pancrase days.I do think,however,that he is definitely well-rounded enough to take Phil.I mean,Evan Tanner beat Phil,and frnakly Evan has always shown more HEART than athletic ability to me.FJS is most clearly an athlete on the level of Phil if not greater.Johs Thompson says that FJS isn't that good anymore standup-wise,and that what he did with Phil was really sideways because FJS knew that Phil was under contract with Pride and COULDN'T do the Dec. 8th fight because Pride wouldn't let him.Then why did he say that he could and signed the contract? Maybe he THOUGHT he could...because I don't see why FJS would sign with Showtime KNOWING that he couldn't fight for them until AFTER he fought for STRIKEFORCE.Maybe it's my own lack of knowledge as to how the bizness is run....

But anyway,fight-wise...the top man at 180 is ANDERSON SILVA.I think FJS would need about 3-4 more fights--one of which should be with a guy like Rich Franklin or at least better than Rich--before he'd be ready for a guy like Silva.Unless the UFC starts paying guys more money,I see alotta guys--like TITO ORTIZ--jumping ship to bigger and better funded organizations.I heard that HBO is having a few MMA events too,so now the UFC will be looking at competition that they couldn't outmuscle with their deep pockets and lock on American audiences.This will touch off a seriously interesting scramble...

...and will usher in the ONE THING that alotta guys currently don't want to see.MORE BROTHAS IN MMA.

The biggest underground allure to the MMA is that these guys clearly have to master more skill sets than boxers do,and up until now boxing has been the premier method of recognized combat in the USA.The masses considered the heavyweight champion of the world to be the baddest man on earth.However,this changed with MMA and frankly allowed White guys the go-ahead to feel that here is a discipline wherein they could consistently and reliably beat Black guys in a fight,because Black guys are mostly boxers...not grapplers.

They're RIGHT,too...but NOT FOR THE REASONS THEY THINK THEY ARE.

Put simply,it's the MONEY that makes us wanna go to boxing and subsequently kickboxing.Let fat purses start being the norm for MMA and brothas will dominate that too.Have u noticed that the bigger purses in the UFC have resulted in a surprising spike in the number of Black participants? First off,Dana White shafted YVES EDWARDS because YVES was supposed to be the lightweight champ after he KO'd Josh with a kick to his neck.never happened.Then Anderson was supposed to LOSE to Rich so they could set up a fight with Rich and the winner of ole boy from TUF 3.Anderson CRUSHED Rich instead.On top of that,another brotha...GEORGE ST. PIERRE,who most White folks can't tell is half Black...hammered Matt Hughes (whom I've always liked) and is champ.Now Rampage and MAYBE Vanderlei are coming to the UFC. Chuck CANNOT beat Vanderlei.Not happenin.I hope RAMPAGE destroys Chuck,to be honest.If both Rampage AND Vanderlei come,there will for sure be a 205 pound Black champ.Mirko will annihilate the UFC heavyweights,and what we will have is a situation wherein 3 of the 4 world champs are Black...and suddenly the situation will have changed dramatically.

Same thing with Showtime,although they may attract more brothas right out the gate because it's SHOWTIME and HBO,ya know? I  could see,for instance,Michael Mcdonald or Dewey Cooper retiring from K-1,training in the ground game and wrestling for about a year or two,and then competing MMA.Mcdonald is nearly 40 right now,so he doesn't have much tiem at all to get his act together if he's gonna do MMA at all...

And Cung Le? Nah,he ain't holdin a major belt unless it's with a newly formed federation that will serve him cream puffs.I don't think he really wants a hardcore MMA challenge yet...or EVER.I hope he DOES get in with a real MMA fighter,but who's he gonna fight? FJS? Silva? He's at a major disadvantage,so I see him staying with Strikeforce and fighting MMA there,mabye with K-1 or HBO or somebody down the line.But no A-list MMA guys before he retires.I hope hope hope he proves me wrong...because I think he has potential,but his hand skills and defense are sloppy to me.But he'll kick the crap out of you and slam you and take u down with power.

What do yall think?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 07:20:48 pm »
I don't know too much about MMA, but I love Tito, especially the way he clowned Shamrock in and out of the cage, but one thing I learned at the end of the day, if a dude can whup your ass, he can basically whup your ass
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »
supreme, that was large dog, give me a few to formulate a response, but for the most part I agree with you 100%...

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 11:19:39 am »
Ayo,do you really think Cung Le might be in February's Pride?
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 06:53:16 pm »

it said so on pride's official web site I believe?  The fight is in Vegas...

Haven't fought San Shou obviously I'm down w/Cung, but he is to old and set in his ways to make an mma splash now, his time has come and gone...

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 10:16:24 am »

it said so on pride's official web site I believe?  The fight is in Vegas...

Haven't fought San Shou obviously I'm down w/Cung, but he is to old and set in his ways to make an mma splash now, his time has come and gone...

Never fought san shou myself,although I sparred with a sanshou guy...pretty tough people.Ummm...I don't know about being "too old",though...Chuck and Randy are older than him,and he has a relatively advanced (for MMA) set of standup skillz,decent wrestling and throwing skillz...it wouldn't take much to turn him into a solid B level MMA guy.I just don't think HE will take the risk.

Cung le v Frank Shamrock.Who wins?
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: ENTER ALL COMBAT ATHLETES/PRACTITIONERS
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 07:37:32 pm »

and he's not too old! but David Carradine is!!! LOL!

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 08:05:34 pm »

Cung Le of course, and old as in I think he's to old to rock the MMA world, I don't see another Wanderlei, Anderson Silva, Cro Cop or Fedor coming from him.  I mean, he is in his early 30's, a little on the old side to start an MMA career...

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 09:07:39 pm »

Cung Le of course, and old as in I think he's to old to rock the MMA world, I don't see another Wanderlei, Anderson Silva, Cro Cop or Fedor coming from him.  I mean, he is in his early 30's, a little on the old side to start an MMA career...

I'm taking Frank in this one.I think his overall game is too much for Cung Le.Are they still friends? I know they USED TO BE friends,but...after seeing that 30 minute thing on STRIKEFORCE I think it was when the lead announcer asked FRANK how he'd fight Cung and Frank said that Cung Le had nice standup so Frank would take Cung Le down and "snap a limb".
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: KEN V FRANK SHAMROCK,SHOWTIME GOES MMA
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 06:12:20 pm »
KEN V FRANK SHAMROCK IN THE IFL: TEAM FIGHTS,JEREMY HORN BEATS VITALE IN THE SUPERFIGHT

The IFL has its first event of the season at the ORACLE Arena in Oakland, California. In front of an announced attendance of 5,005, the IFL began its first full season of competition.

Niko Vitale vs. Jeremy Horn

Horn made his comeback to the IFL after an unsuccessful first go around even considering retirement for short time but instead chose to comeback to fighting after sorting out some personal problems. Vitale was coming off his first win in almost two years. Vitale started out well with body shots before being slammed to the ground by Horn. Horn easily moved into the mount but Vitale escaped to his feet. After some clinch work Horn was able to take Vitale down to end the round. The second and third rounds played out the same as Vitale landed solid shots on the feet, while Horn tried hard to get the fight on the ground. Down two rounds to one, Horn came out more aggressive in the fourth as he opened up on the feet and was finally able to get the fight on the ground to end the round. With the fight up in the air in the final round, both fighters came out strong. Horn went for a takedown but Vitale locked on a kimura but Horn was able to escape, going for a takedown and both fighters almost fell out of the ring. Vitale got taken down by Horn but is able to get back to his feet and then got one of his own. Vitale went for a leg lock but Horn reversed with Vitale on his back. The fight ended with Vitale getting back up to his feet. The first score was 48-47 for Horn, the second score 48-47 for Vitale and the final score being 48-47 for Horn giving him the split decision win.

Seattle Tigersharks (coached by Maurice Smith) vs. Southern California Condors (coached by Marco Ruas)

Shad Lierley made his MMA debut against veteran Adam Lynn in a lightweight contest. After a failed takedown by Lierley, he landed a huge right hand that drops Lynn and he finishes him off with strikes to get his first win in his MMA debut, giving the Tigersharks an early lead. 1-0

Antoine Jaoude took on Curtis Crawford as both heavyweights were making their IFL debuts here. Jaoude put on a wrestling clinic throughout the entire fight as he was able to put Crawford on his back. All three rounds resembled each other as while on the feet Crawford would have the advantage but never really got a chance to do any real damage as Jaoude was able to control the fight with his takedowns and ground control. Jaoude took home a unanimous decision getting 30-27 on two cards and 29-28 on the last judge score card, 1-1

The third team fight was an alternate lightweight bout that now counted on the team standings because the welterweight bout was scrapped because of an eye injury sustained by the Condor's Rodrigo Ruas. The Condor's Danny Suarez was able to submit MMA newcomer Tristan Witt with a modified shoulder lock after unsuccessfully trying to lock on a triangle choke, Suarez got the win at 1:28 in the first round to give the Condor's the lead. 1-2

Jeremy Williams made his return to MMA after a four year hiatus to take on the Tigersharks Bristol Marunde in a middleweight bout. Williams wasted no time as he quickly locked on a guillotine choke but was slammed by Marunde. Shortly after, Williams locked on a triangle choke that put Marunde to sleep at 1:13 in the the first round giving the Condors the team victory. 1-3

In a light heavyweight bout, Reese Andy of the Tigersharks used his impressive wrestling skills to ground Justin Levens en route to a unanimous decision victory. Andy was able to takedown Levens at will and he was able to control him on the ground without much offense being offered by Levens. Levens only shining moment in the fight came in the round as he went for a triangle but Andy was able to escape and win unanimous decision with all cards 30-27.  Still, the Condors defeated the Tigersharks overall by the score of 3 to 2.

Nevada Lions (coached by Ken Shamrock) vs. San Jose Razorclaws (coached by Frank Shamrock)

In what was the fight of the night, John Gunderson of the Lions traded submissions with Josh Odom in an exciting lightweight bout. Odom hurt Gunderson early with punches and made him take the fight to the ground. Odom locked on an armbar but Gunderson slammed his way out of it, then going for a heel hook that Odom narrowly escaped. Gunderson was able to mount Odom and lock on a triangle choke form the top, finishing the fight from his back and getting the tap at 3:05 in the first round. 1-0

Roy Nelson made an impressive debut as the Lions heavyweight dispatched of the Razorclaw's Vince Lucero early on the first round. After some exchanges on the feet, Nelson got a takedown then mounted Lucero finishing him with strikes at 1:58 into the first round. 2-0

Another lightweight bout replaced a scheduled light heavyweight contest. Razorclaw's Clint Coronel won a controversial fight in the second round over the Lion's Joe Martin. Coronel go the best of the stand-up in the first round but Martin survived by taking the fight to the ground. In the second round, Coronel landed a right hand that dropped Martin as he rained down blows, Martin defended well but the referee stopped the fight even though Martin was fine. None the less , Coronel scored the TKO win only forty five seconds into the second round. 2-1

Pat Healy was able to use a solid strategy to win his fight over the Razorclaw's welterweight Ray Steinbeiss. He took Steinbeiss down at will for the entire fight, which made for a rather boring fight because once on the ground Healy really didn't do much. Steinbeiss tried hard to get escape but Healy was able to keep him grounded for the entire fight, winning the fight by unanimous decision with all 30-27 score cards in his favor giving the Lions the team win over the Razorclaws. 3-1

Razorclaws middleweight Brian Foster showed dominance over the game Dan Molina. Molina tried hard for takedowns and leg locks, not really having much success with either one. During the first round, the lights suddenly went out for the moment halting the fight while they came back on. In the second round, Foster was penalized a point for holding the ropes. It didn't end up mattering because Foster was able to finish Molina off with strikes form the back mount at 2:05 into the second round. 3-2, the Nevada Lions defeat the San Jose Razorclaws.

BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: KEN V FRANK SHAMROCK,SHOWTIME GOES MMA
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 06:14:28 pm »
IFL EXPANSION

The International Fight League has reached an agreement to expand its relationship with cable channel Fox Sports Net, while also reaching a deal with network TV channel MyNetworkTV, which is also owned by Fox.

Under the terms of the agreement, FSN has multi-year rights to air 22 one-hour latenight programs starting in the second quarter of 2007 (April, May, or June). This will put the IFL into a more regular, weekly timeslot on FSN, as opposed to the more sporadic scheduling of IFL events in 2006.

The specific timeslot on FSN was not disclosed, but "latenight" from a TV scheduling standpoint generally refers to 11:00 PM or later. The UFC successfully launched on cable television in a latenight timeslot, although it did have something on its side that the IFL won't have: A show with millions of viewers (WWE Raw) as a lead-in.

While a weekly slot in primetime would obviously be preferred over latenight, that is simply not possible due to FSN's structure of local sports coverage on its affiliates. A consistent weekly timeslot is important for any show on TV to establish and build an audience over time.

In addition to the extension and expansion of the IFL’s relationship with FSN, the agreement also calls for the Fox-owned MyNetworkTV to air 22 two-hour IFL-produced programs starting in the summer of 2007. This marks the first broadcast TV deal for any MMA promotion.

In addition to fight footage, the programming on MyNetworkTV will also include more comprehensive coverage on the fighters and their lives, as well as news surrounding the IFL. A specific timeslot was not announced for the deal with MyNetworkTV.

If IFL programming catches on, it could be a tremendous boon for MyNetworkTV, which has struggled to gain any sort of a foothold in the television ratings since it began operations in September of 2006.

Despite its low ratings, the potential for growth in the viewership of MyNetworkTV is sigificant, given the fact that it's a broadcast TV network that is available in over 95 percent of American households (including those that do not have any cable or satellite service).

According to Neilsen Media Research, there are 111,348,110 households in the United States with broadcast TV access, and the majority of those households contain more than one person.

MyNetworkTV was founded in part to help fill the void left on many television stations' schedules when The WB merged with UPN to form The CW Network.

At the very least, the IFL's agreement with MyNetworkTV gives the IFL a much greater audience and a more focused way to reach that audience than it has ever had before. At best, it could launch the IFL’s team strategy into the conscience of the mainstream collective.

In addition to the IFL's presence on Fox Sports Net and MyNetworkTV, FSN will now have “the right to produce related ancillary programming, pay-per-view events, and video-on-demand product.”

The IFL and FSN also will form a joint venture to manage and distribute IFL-related content on the Internet, via broadband video, and mobile outlets. Under Fox’s umbrella are such popular assets as Myspace.com, IGN, and many other resources.

These resources open up many new avenues for the IFL to reach its audience. It is not unrealistic to deduce that the agreement could lead to such new ventures as an IFL-related video game, IFL mobile phone content, an online community tied to the IFL, and more. Not that these are all finite realities, but the resources affiliated with Fox do lend themselves to numerous possibilities.

“This is a historic day for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, and we want to thank everyone at FOX for seeing this great opportunity and making it a reality,” said Gareb Shamus, IFL co-founder and CEO. “This partnership will give MMA in general and the IFL in particular a chance to showcase the personalities, training regimen and great skill and discipline that these athletes and their coaches have to a much wider audience both in the United States and eventually around the world.”

BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: KEN V FRANK SHAMROCK,HBO AND SHOWTIME GOES MMA
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 06:17:10 pm »
A few slim years ago the Ultimate Fighting Championship, nary any mixed martial arts organization, couldn’t land a television deal unless they were willing to shell out the bucks to suffocate in the latenight air alongside Tony Little and Ginsu.

Despite many promised deals and miscues, the UFC stuck to their guns and never gave in to the networks that wanted them to pay for air time, believing that they had a product that, once given a chance, could stand on its own in the ever fickle television market. Today the same networks that once shunned MMA can’t seem to get on board fast enough.

The UFC has taken over Spike TV, FSN airs both the International Fight League and Pride Fighting Championships, and the ink is still wet on Showtime’s deal to air the newly formed EliteXC. But this appears only to be the jumping off point for MMA in America.

It has been common knowledge for quite some time that the UFC has been courting HBO, the premier premium cable television network. That relationship now appears to be on the verge of consummation. In comments made to Pedro Fernandez of RingTalk.com, HBO’s Larry Merchant stated, “People look at it [UFC] as real wrestling. And next year HBO and Showtime, they both will test the waters and see if this works. I don't know what Showtime is doing, but we'll do four and see how it goes." Merchant also indicated to Fernandez that if the response is good, HBO was prepared to consider airing more than the initial four broadcasts.

Merchant is a longtime special analyst on HBO Sports’ broadcasts of “World Championship Boxing” and “HBO Pay-Per-View” alongside Jim Lampley and Emanuel Stewart.

When Zuffa LLC, the parent company of the UFC, acquired World Extreme Cagefighting, speculation was rampant that Zuffa would place the WEC on HBO. All the while, UFC president and co-owner Dana White denied those claims, continually stating that a deal with HBO was coming soon and that it would be the UFC on the premium network.

Alongside the confirmation of the UFC on HBO, various independent sources have confirmed to MMAWeekly that the WEC will not renew their deal with Mark Cuban’s HDNet and has instead opted to go with the newly-revamped Versus network. One source close to the situation indicated that the deal calls for six shows over the next year on Versus --- three shows aired live and three tape-delayed shows.

The first Zuffa-owned WEC event is set to take place at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada on January 20th. There was no confirmation as to whether or not the event would be part of the broadcast deal with Versus, but it would only make sense considering the new ownership and the January 20th event's move from Lemoore, California to Las Vegas.

The January 20th WEC event features a headline bout between Kit Cope and “Razor” Rob McCullough for the lightweight title formerly held by Hermes Franca. The contracts of Cope and McCullough were both acquired by Zuffa when they purchased select assets from the now defunct World Fighting Alliance.

Formerly known as the Outdoor Life Network, in its new incarnation Versus bills itself as “an anytime destination for people to satisfy their primal need for competition with in-depth coverage of exclusive live events and original programming including the NHL, America's Cup, Field Sports, Professional Bull Riders (PBR), The Tour de France, Mountain West Conference College Football and more.”

The Versus brand was launched in September 2006, and the network is available in approximately 70 million television households in the United States (as compared with 90 million television households for Spike TV).

Mixed martial arts has long been satisfying people’s primal need for competition, so the WEC should fit in nicely on the Versus network.

HBO, Showtime, FSN, Spike TV, Versus… and the list will surely grow. That sure is a long way from slicing tin cans with a knife
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Jenn

Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: KEN V FRANK SHAMROCK,HBO AND SHOWTIME GOES MMA
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 06:21:38 pm »
HBO gets a hold of MMA and we'll never get free coverage again. That's what ruined boxing - putting all the title fights on PPV. How can I follow a sport if I can't afford to watch it? For the last 40 years (if not more), boxing has been dominated by black and brown kids. They can't be inspired by something they can't see, and I fear that MMA will go in that same direction.