Author Topic: FRANK/RENZO REMATCH,K-1 MAX,GREEN POWER RANGER DOES MMA!!  (Read 14790 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: KEN V FRANK SHAMROCK,HBO AND SHOWTIME GOES MMA
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 07:03:41 pm »
HBO gets a hold of MMA and we'll never get free coverage again. That's what ruined boxing - putting all the title fights on PPV. How can I follow a sport if I can't afford to watch it? For the last 40 years (if not more), boxing has been dominated by black and brown kids. They can't be inspired by something they can't see, and I fear that MMA will go in that same direction.

that is a very good point,Jenn...but we also have fights on free TV like ESPN and whatnot.I hope that MMA fights still remain on channels like FSN and SPIKE TV with shows like THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER.This should provide ample opportunity for us poorer folks and 'the underclass" in general,lol.What I would like to see is bigger paychecks in MMA...and yeah,they're gonna come.But not for the next couple 5 years,I'd say.hopefully submission grappling gets a boost,too...but that will be a whole heckuvalot longer,because the American crowd doesn't like grappling in general.The masses are too uneducated in the intricacies of the art of submission...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 07:04:02 pm »
Elite XC Inks Frank Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie for Showtime
By Robert Rousseau, ExtremeProSports.com
When the first Ultimate Fighting Championship ( UFC ) aired back on November 12, 1993, there was a Gracie and a Shamrock on the card. Namely, Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock.

And ever since then it seems that someone with the last name of Gracie or Shamrock has been in the MMA spotlight.

Back on that initial November night Royce Gracie defeated Ken Shamrock via rear naked choke in only 57 seconds. Later in the UFC's first Super Fight on April 7, 1995, the two fought to a draw ( early UFC encounters did not utilize score cards; you either stopped your opponent or there was a draw ).

Perhaps because of that unresolved battle, the public's appetite for another Gracie - Shamrock encounter was never sated. For that reason, it seems that anytime the two names are mentioned together, excitement follows. Such was the case when Ken Shamrock's younger brother, Frank Shamrock, tore through Cesar Gracie in a Shockwave event on March 10, 2006 with a 21 second knockout.

That leads us to the here and now.

In short, a new page to the Gracie - Shamrock saga is about to be written. And even better, it looks as if there's a new mixed martial arts powerhouse on the block that's going to put the pen to the paper. The name of the new MMA organization?

Elite Xtreme Combat ( EliteXC ).

Who is Elite XC?

Elite Xtreme Combat is a new mixed martial arts venue that is coming to us through the joint efforts of Pro Elite Incorporated and Showtime Networks. That's right, mixed martial arts has now made its way to the Showtime Network.

And if you're thinking it's just one event- think again. It appears that Elite XC will put on several events over the next few years in conjunction with Showtime. In fact, in an interview with BoxingTalk.com, President of Elite XC Live Events Division, Gary Shaw, indicated that, "we'll probably put on six events in 2007, eight in 2008, and ten to twelve in 2009."

Word of advice: think up your argument before opening your mouth to the wife about getting Showtime. You may only get one chance.

On hand at the December 14 press conference announcing Elite XC were Shaw, EliteXC.com President Kelly Perdew ( that's right, the winner from season two of the Apprentice ), Chief Executive Officer of Pro Elite, Inc., Doug DeLuca, and Senior Showtime Networks' Vice President / General Manager Sports & Event Programming, Ken Hershman.

If those heavy hitters and Showtime don't sound like enough, consider this. Elite XC has inked wrestling personality Bill Goldberg and former Saved by the Bell cast member, Mario Lopez, to be part of the announcing team.

Impressive, huh?

And we haven't even identified the main event for their inaugural show on February 10, 2007 yet. As was indicated earlier, it will be another epic Gracie versus Shamrock encounter.

Renzo Gracie versus Frank Shamrock at the Desoto Civic Center in Southaven, Mississippi.

Unlike the most recent Gracie - Shamrock encounter between Frank and Cesar, this one seems worth the ticket. After all, when Frank Shamrock took on Cesar Gracie, he was in effect battling a man that had never stepped foot into an MMA ring or octagon.

Renzo Gracie has a heckuva lot more MMA experience than Cesar, not to mention a pretty nice resume. Frank Shamrock also brings a ton of experience to this one, and remember: even though he hasn't fought much in recent years, there was a time when people believed Frank Shamrock was the best mixed martial artist on the planet.

Is he still that good? Don't know. However, here is what we do know about this upcoming battle.

Renzo Gracie

What Gracie brings to the table. - Renzo Gracie brings an overall MMA record of 11-6-1 to this bout with two (T)KO's and seven submission victories to his credit. In short, he's a Gracie.

That means he has elite Brazilian Jiu- Jitsu / submission skills.

Along with this, he's only been submitted once during his career at the hands of a great one - Kazushi Sakuraba. What's more, Gracie proved his toughness in that encounter by never tapping ( his arm literally broke and the referee stepped in ). Quitting just isn't in his nature.

Though Gracie's stand up skills are stronger than many might think, they are not upper echelon. However, he's proven to be difficult to stop ( he's only been knocked out once during his career by Dan Henderson ). Reinforcing that point, remember that this is a man that not only managed to avoid being knocked out by legendary striker Maurice Smith; he actually ended up submitting him.

Unfortunately, Renzo Gracie's best days seem behind him. He's lost six of his last eight bouts. However, in his most recent fight on September 23, 2006, Gracie came through against Pat Miletich, via guillotine choke.

Frank Shamrock

What Shamrock brings to the table. - Frank Shamrock brings an overall MMA record of 21-7-1 with two (T)KO's and 13 submissions to his credit. Still, he's only fought twice in the last six years against in mixed martial arts competitions. Further, in those two fights the competition left something to be desired ( Bryan Pardoe and Cesar Gracie ). Thus, when discussing his fighter profile we'll be talking about past successes.

This, of course, could prove to be his downfall.

Still, Frank Shamrock's resume reads like a Who's Who of Mixed Martial Arts. Fighters like Elvis Sinosic ( decision ), Tito Ortiz ( submission strikes ), Jeremy Horn ( submission- kneebar ), Igor Zinoviev ( KO- slam ), Kevin Jackson ( submission- armbar ), Vernon White ( submission- Achilles hold ), and Bas Rutten ( decision ) have fell at his hands. Further, he's won his last ten fights and hasn't been defeated since January of 1997.

Not bad, huh?

When in his prime, Frank Shamrock was one of the best fighters that mixed martial arts has ever seen. He was a physical freak of nature with great power ( if you want to see some of that patented power in action, see his KO slam against Zinoviev ). Further, Shamrock always displayed excellent wrestling skills and outstanding submissions back then.

He was even a better than average striker with nice power.

In other words, Frank Shamrock had it all. Question is, does he still?

In Sum

Elite XC may be about to change the MMA landscape. When you look at the powerful executives involved and factor in the Showtime contract, one has to think that they're going to quickly become a factor in MMA.

So move on over UFC and PRIDE. By signing with a major cable network, Elite XC wants a piece of the pie, and it looks like they have the stuff to get it done.

Inking two legendary fighters to their first main event was the first step. Though it's not like they signed Liddell versus Ortiz, by getting Frank Shamrock to step in and fight an experienced Gracie, Elite XC has said the following.

We may not have a Liddell or Ortiz yet; but we want them.

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:37 am »
Goat picks up the phone....

"Hello, Direct tV? yea I would like to order Showtime!"

"ok, thanks!!"

There... my work is done!

:)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 07:49:48 am »
HBO gets a hold of MMA and we'll never get free coverage again. That's what ruined boxing - putting all the title fights on PPV. How can I follow a sport if I can't afford to watch it? For the last 40 years (if not more), boxing has been dominated by black and brown kids. They can't be inspired by something they can't see, and I fear that MMA will go in that same direction.

that is a very good point,Jenn...but we also have fights on free TV like ESPN and whatnot.I hope that MMA fights still remain on channels like FSN and SPIKE TV with shows like THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER.This should provide ample opportunity for us poorer folks and 'the underclass" in general,lol.What I would like to see is bigger paychecks in MMA...and yeah,they're gonna come.But not for the next couple 5 years,I'd say.hopefully submission grappling gets a boost,too...but that will be a whole heckuvalot longer,because the American crowd doesn't like grappling in general.The masses are too uneducated in the intricacies of the art of submission...

Fear not...here's a lil' scoop y'all....BET is getting in the MMA game....stay posted.....

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 09:39:49 am »
i KNEW it, Reggie Reg.
dont ask HOW I knew... i just knew it.

my spidey-BET senses were tinglin'.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 01:37:41 pm »

Fear not...here's a lil' scoop y'all....BET is getting in the MMA game....stay posted.....

OHHHHHHHH SNAAAAAAAAAP!!! OHOHOHO!!! Good lookin out big dawg,fo shiggi-dough!
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 07:02:34 pm »
Goat picks up the phone..
Hello Direct TV! cancel that showtime order..

Just make sure you keep BET on your line up!!

:)

MMA on BET!! WOW!!

what's next? BET NASCAR!? LOL! NO Fricking way!!

OF course a BET sponsored race team with Bill Lester as the driver and an all minorities pit crew wow that would shake the south MAN!!!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 06:04:43 am »
goat...stop it.
that would make me too excited.
let's not go down that path of nascar yet.
it makes me giddy just thinkin' about it.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Jenn

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

Hudlin, you better have some REAL MMA brothas up on that sh*t, cuz you know I'm going to clown your ass LOUD AND LONG if you don't. If they've never been inside a dojo, I ain't trying to hear that sh*t. Don't go grabbing mofos just because they're annual winners of the fighting tournaments at Ray-Ray's House of Ribs n'sh*t.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 10:44:29 pm »

Hudlin, you better have some REAL MMA brothas up on that sh*t, cuz you know I'm going to clown your ass LOUD AND LONG if you don't. If they've never been inside a dojo, I ain't trying to hear that sh*t. Don't go grabbing mofos just because they're annual winners of the fighting tournaments at Ray-Ray's House of Ribs n'sh*t.

HAHAHAHAHA!! CO-SIGN!!
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: ALL THE NEWS AND STUFF
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 10:01:07 am »

- GRACIE EVENS THE SCORE WITH SAKURABA
Sunday, June 03, 2007 - by Ricardo Mendoza (Photos by Scott Petersen)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES, CALIF. – K-1 made their U.S. mixed martial arts debut as they presented K-1 Dynamite!! USA, in conjunction with EliteXC at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, Calif.

In the main event, former WWE star Brock Lesner made his MMA debut against late replacement Min Soo Kim. Lesner immediately scored a takedown and mounted Kim, dropping several punches that forced Kim to tapout at 1:09 of the first round.

The most anticipated fight of the night was the rematch between Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba, who waged a classic ninety-minute war seven years ago. Both fighters received a huge reaction from the crowd as they made their way to the ring. The match would go the distance, but it wasn’t as compelling as the first time they meet. Both fighters were cautious throughout the fight as neither imposed their will on the other, although Gracie later commented, “The fight went exactly as we planned.”

The majority of the fight played out with both fighters clinched along the ropes, waiting for the other to make a mistake that neither fighter would end up making. In the end, Gracie was the aggressor throughout the majority of the fight and that swayed the judges in his favor, taking the fight by unanimous decision.

Hideo Tokoro put on a grappling clinic against former Cage Rage British Featherweight Champion Brad Pickett. Tokoro would secure an early takedown, but was quickly reversed by Pickett who opted to stand back up. Pickett dropped Tokoro with a punch, but just as Pickett pounced, Tokoro went for a heel hook that put Pickett on the defensive. Tokoro regained guard and went for an armbar, flipping Pickett over and finishing it on top at 2:40 of the first round.

In the fight of the night, Dong Sik Yoon and Melvin Manhoef put on an excellent display that had the entire crowd on its feet. Manhoef came out strong as he overwhelmed Yoon with strikes, dropping him quickly. Yoon recovered and made it back to his feet, where the two traded leather before hitting the ground. Manhoef landed some hard shots from the top, but Yoon stayed calm and attacked with an armbar from the bottom that Manhoef nearly escaped. Yoon would then execute a beautiful judo throw, landing in side mount before moving into full mount and again nearly securing an armbar. Manhoef would escape back to his feet where they traded punches to end the round.

Yoon’s right eye was swollen shut to start the second round and he took the fight to Manhoef. Yoon got a takedown and moved into mount before finally finishing Manhoef with a textbook armbar at 1:17 of the second round.

Mighty Mo quickly disposed of late replacement Ruben “Warpath” Villareal, stopping him with strikes. Both fighters clinched to start out the fight, but after they were separated, Mo would unleash several hard punches that downed Villareal, finishing him off with strikes at 1:33 of the first round.

Former NFL player Johnnie Morton had a night he would like to forget – and probably did – as everything went wrong for the former USC athlete, who took on Japanese TV personality Bernard Ackah. Morton came out swinging wildly and Ackah returned fire before defending a Morton takedown. Ackah then ended Morton’s night, knocking him out cold with a huge right hook thirty-eight seconds into the bout. Morton would need the assistance of a stretcher to make his way out of the ring. Post fight, Morton refused to give a doping sample and was immediately suspended by the California Athletic Commission according to Sherdog.com.

Jake Shields made quick work of Israelite Ido Pariente, quickly getting a takedown and imposing his superior ground game on the smaller Pariente. Shields moved into mount dropping a couple of shots before getting Pariente’s back and securing the rear naked choke at 2:06 of the first round.

Jonathan Wiezorek and Tim “Big Perm” Persey kicked off the live telecast on Showtime in a heavyweight bout. From the beginning Wiezorek wanted not part of Persey’s stand-up as he immediately clinched up in an effort to score a takedown. After a brief stall in action they were separated and restarted in the middle of the ring. Persey took advantage by dropping Wiezorek and landing some solid shots before Wiezorek recovered and launched a kimura attempt that Persey escaped.

Persey came out aggressive in the second round, landing a couple of shots before Wiezorek scored a takedown. Wiezorek managed to get Persey’s back, landing shots until the referee stepped in to halt the contest fifty seconds into the second round.

2004 Olympic wrestling silver medalist Katsuhiko Nagata scored takedowns at will en route to a split decision victory over late replacement Isaiah Hill. Hill came out aggressive to start the fight as he landed several hard blows that bloodied Nagata’s nose. From then on out the same story would play out, as Nagata would score takedowns at will throughout the entire fight. When the decision was announced, the crowd booed the fact that it was ruled a split decision instead of a unanimous decision for Nagata, who had basically dominated the entire fight.

In the opening fight of K-1 Dynamite!! USA, Hero’s 2006 Middleweight Champion Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti faced off with KOTC veteran Nam Phan. JZ wasted no time in ending the fight as he quickly scored a takedown from the clinch then proceeded to land a series of punches that stunned Phan, forcing the referee to stop the fight only twenty six seconds in.

BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: ROYCE AND BROCK LESNAR WIN
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 12:43:22 pm »
Yo Johnnie Morton got knocked the f*** out. Lol. I dont mean to laugh but yo that sh*t was funny as hell. That fool ran in there with 2 weeks of training and was straight beat to sleep. I wonder what he was dreaming about. One of my boys who said he got knocked out during a football game said the coaches said when they were trying to wake his big ass up that he was saying. "mommy i dont want to go to school today" lol. I might be able to leave boxing alone for this mma stuff if I can be treated to this every week.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS THREAD: ROYCE AND BROCK LESNAR WIN
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 04:18:57 pm »
Yo Johnnie Morton got knocked the f*** out. Lol. I dont mean to laugh but yo that sh*t was funny as hell. That fool ran in there with 2 weeks of training and was straight beat to sleep. I wonder what he was dreaming about. One of my boys who said he got knocked out during a football game said the coaches said when they were trying to wake his big ass up that he was saying. "mommy i dont want to go to school today" lol. I might be able to leave boxing alone for this mma stuff if I can be treated to this every week.

hahaha ;D ;D ;D
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MMA:ROYCE GRACIE TESTS POSITIVE FOR STEREOIDS
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 04:20:55 pm »
 CSAC CLARIFIES ROYCE GRACIE DRUG TEST
Monday, June 18, 2007 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The California State Athletic Commission today released a statement in regards to Royce Gracie’s recent positive test results concerning his K-1 fight against Kazushi Sakuraba. Initial reports indicated that Gracie had tested positive for Nandrolone, a steroid that occurs naturally in the human body, but did not include detailed information other than the positive result.

Today’s statement answered questions regarding the results being borderline or a false positive. According to the CSAC, they contacted the laboratory that performed the testing and obtained specific, detailed information about the test and results.

The statement read that, “A normal person could have a level of 2 ng/mL of Nandrolone that the human body could potentially produce and an athlete that has just completed rigorous physical exercise could have a level of 6 ng/mL.

“We received a written response from the laboratory's Director of Science and Technology confirming the positive ‘A’ sample and positive ‘B’ sample.

Both samples provided by Mr. Gracie had a level of over 50 ng/mL and we were informed that the level itself was so elevated that it would not register on the laboratory's calibrator.”

Following initial reports of the positive results, Gracie maintained his innocence, commenting to Sherdog.com Editor Josh Gross that he had taken supplements that are available at GNC, but nothing else and would not consider doing such.

With all of the speculation since the initial reporting of the result, there has been much speculation. CSAC Executive Director Armando Garcia told MMAWeekly, “Yes, the statement [detailing the results] was to answer any question as to whether the test indicated a trace or possibly a false positive.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW,Royce was on THE JUICE.That's the ultimate slap in the face to traditionalists.Even though I know that stereoids are basically testosterone, and when used properly they AREN'T harmful to the athelte using them,there's no doubt that it gives you a significant performance boost that outstrips other supplements like amino acids,multivitamins,protein shakes and stuff like that.It's main benefits seem to be in recovery time and strength enhancement.

But ROYCE.On STEREOIDS? Man,that's unbelievably disappointing...that's like finding out that somebody ghostwrote TUPAC's songs.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MMA:ROYCE GRACIE TESTS POSITIVE FOR STEREOIDS
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 05:36:46 pm »
fu#@.  Hate hearing that sh$#.  Supreme is right, Royce's entire legend status now comes into question.