Author Topic: FLOYD V OSCAR  (Read 14585 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: FLOYD V OSCAR
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 09:40:48 pm »
while I am very disappointed Mayweather got the decision over DLH., Oscar continues to show why I respect him so much.  As always the gentleman, who was a true professional after the fight.  Always in good spirits, he just showed what a great guy he is.  Mayweather, on the other hand, blamed Golden Boy promotions for Oscar making it a split decission.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 12:53:03 am »
while I am very disappointed Mayweather got the decision over DLH., Oscar continues to show why I respect him so much.  As always the gentleman, who was a true professional after the fight.  Always in good spirits, he just showed what a great guy he is.  Mayweather, on the other hand, blamed Golden Boy promotions for Oscar making it a split decission.

Oscar's a cool cat, and says the right things, but he's also the guy who will explode when he's out of the spotlight, like he did when he lost to Trinidad.  Mayweather will just say what's on his mind, and it is kind of silly for the decision to be split when Floyd clearly won that fight.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 07:06:40 am »
Floyd had a solid point, the split decision was odd.  It wasn't really close.  Damn, Mayweather is quick.  We knew that going in, but dayum. 

As for Floyd's behavior leading up to the fight, seemed to me he was taking the villain role to hype the fight.  He's just not a great actor.  He is a great fighter though. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 07:28:01 am »
Floyd had a solid point, the split decision was odd.  It wasn't really close.  Damn, Mayweather is quick.  We knew that going in, but dayum. 

As for Floyd's behavior leading up to the fight, seemed to me he was taking the villain role to hype the fight.  He's just not a great actor.  He is a great fighter though. 

I enjoyed Floyd's prefight theatrics, he basically MADE 24/7 with his comments and personality.  And ESPN is getting on my nerves trying to make that fight seem closer than it was.  Floyd was the better fighter, and had Oscar beating the hell out of his arms and the air around him
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 07:56:34 am »
The little I remember from the fight (whew got to be a little bit more careful) Floyd won hands down and was going to win regardless. As far as how the decision went down, its boxing what did anyone expect.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 10:09:18 am »
what the hell was the crowd thinking that when DeLa Hoya was throwing punches most of them were not landing on Floyd, BUT the crowd was cheering that DeLa was collecting major pts.  The crowd had front row seating cheering on punches that were not landing while I (and group) had HD viewing and saw a totally different side. 

Floyd was the winner, but his arrogant hit a all time high when he walked in the arena w/ the Mexican flag image, colors and sombrero.  If that was trying to take DeLa out of his game mentally, this was a weak method on Floyd's part, IMO

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 11:08:56 am »
Floyd was the winner, but his arrogant hit a all time high when he walked in the arena w/ the Mexican flag image, colors and sombrero.  If that was trying to take DeLa out of his game mentally, this was a weak method on Floyd's part, IMO

It became surreal when he was in that get up with 50 along side rapping away.  Remember that scene in Great White Hype with Method Man doing Bring The Pain?  All I can say is that it's really hard to parody boxing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 04:35:39 pm by Curtis Metcalf »

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 12:21:22 pm »

Didn't he gain weight to move up into DLH's weight class??  I can't remember if both fighters had to gain, or if Mayweather was moving up a class, but if so, then good grief, i'll never question that man's speed again!

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 12:41:13 pm »
what the hell was the crowd thinking that when DeLa Hoya was throwing punches most of them were not landing on Floyd, BUT the crowd was cheering that DeLa was collecting major pts.  The crowd had front row seating cheering on punches that were not landing while I (and group) had HD viewing and saw a totally different side. 

I found that hilarious.  The whole place where I was watching lit up when they put that sombrero on, even the Latinos that were there.  Viva Mayweather.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Sinister8578

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 10:13:24 am »

Personally, I agree that while Mayweather landed more punches. I'm sorry I don't like the way he fought that fight and I agree with his father. He lost. Yeah he threw one shot at a time. Yeah he held a lot while on the ropes. Yeah he's a good fighter and at this point in Oscar's career he's better but it still sucks. GOAT? Please. The thing folks have forgotten about the Sugar Ray Robinson and the like is that they knocked motherf's out. They but they're blood into it. Are you really going to tell me Floyd is better technically than Sugar Ray Robinson? But he had some of the most exciting fights ever. Ali? Remember he was willing to take enough damage from Foreman that he had to go to the hospital and he still KNOCKED him out. People remember that Ali fought that style because he had lost a lot of the speed that he was blessed with. Before that Ali would go into a big fight and KO people. Floyd? Nah. I'll tap you ONCE and move. I felt that in the middle of the ring Floyd could have put a beating on Oscar. So why did I want Oscar to win? To show fighters that you need to start......FIGHTING. I understand the techinque involved in boxing but I'm sorry to say to keep your sport alive you have to entertain. Look at football. Most of the rules changes in the last 15 years have been to the offense because it's been proven that fans (casual) love offense. Guess what? The defensive players have adapted. But back to boxing, I want Floyd to fight Mosley, Winky Wright or hell even Hopkins. He will never go down as a GOAT inductee until he has a fight that WOWS the crowd. And while Oscar was not landing all his punches the fact that he threw them in bunches shows that he was the agressor and that is rare for a champ to do that. Usually you know the challenger has to do that. But as I told someone the night of the fight...if that is what boxing is now: Then it is dead. I'm sorry casual fans are the majority of fans and they don't want to dispense $59 for that.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:50 am »
I missed the fight I had to work :'(. But I hear Mayweather won. At least Oscar got a new baby out the deal. ;D

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2007, 07:07:14 pm »

Personally, I agree that while Mayweather landed more punches. I'm sorry I don't like the way he fought that fight and I agree with his father. He lost. Yeah he threw one shot at a time. Yeah he held a lot while on the ropes. Yeah he's a good fighter and at this point in Oscar's career he's better but it still sucks. GOAT? Please. The thing folks have forgotten about the Sugar Ray Robinson and the like is that they knocked motherf's out. They but they're blood into it. Are you really going to tell me Floyd is better technically than Sugar Ray Robinson? But he had some of the most exciting fights ever. Ali? Remember he was willing to take enough damage from Foreman that he had to go to the hospital and he still KNOCKED him out. People remember that Ali fought that style because he had lost a lot of the speed that he was blessed with. Before that Ali would go into a big fight and KO people. Floyd? Nah. I'll tap you ONCE and move. I felt that in the middle of the ring Floyd could have put a beating on Oscar. So why did I want Oscar to win? To show fighters that you need to start......FIGHTING. I understand the techinque involved in boxing but I'm sorry to say to keep your sport alive you have to entertain. Look at football. Most of the rules changes in the last 15 years have been to the offense because it's been proven that fans (casual) love offense. Guess what? The defensive players have adapted. But back to boxing, I want Floyd to fight Mosley, Winky Wright or hell even Hopkins. He will never go down as a GOAT inductee until he has a fight that WOWS the crowd. And while Oscar was not landing all his punches the fact that he threw them in bunches shows that he was the agressor and that is rare for a champ to do that. Usually you know the challenger has to do that. But as I told someone the night of the fight...if that is what boxing is now: Then it is dead. I'm sorry casual fans are the majority of fans and they don't want to dispense $59 for that.

I'm not sure about his place in boxing history, but Floyd won that fight.  I think you win by hitting the other guy, and that's what Floyd did, and what Oscar didn't do.  Just cause you throw punches doesn't mean you should win, Floyd fought a smart fight, his defense was tight and his speed was top notch and he got the better of De la Hoya in the ring.  It would be nuts if he lost
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2007, 08:11:49 pm »
This is a tough one. 

Boxing needs to make up its mind on the process of scoring. 

Floyd's punches were cleaner but Oscar threw more and landed more.  Oscar also was the champ and I believe to beat the Champ you really have to beat the Champ.

Also, Floyd wore that get-up to be like Uncle Roger who also used to enter the ring in big Chihuahua hat and fought under the name "The Mexican Assassin" on account he used to knock out all the Mexican fighters.  I found it amusing.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2007, 05:00:43 am »

Floyd's punches were cleaner but Oscar threw more and landed more. 

Oscar just threw more punches.  He did not land more.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:08 am »

Floyd's punches were cleaner but Oscar threw more and landed more. 

Oscar just threw more punches.  He did not land more.

Exactly, from ESPN:

According to CompuBox statistics, Mayweather landed 207 of 481 punches (43 percent). De La Hoya landed 122 of 587 (21 percent).

De La Hoya was wailing on Floyd's arms, gloves and air.  Mayweather fought smart, fended off Oscar and nailed him, throwing 106 less shots, but landing 85 more.  And that was throughout the whole fight.  How do people supposed Oscar even come close?
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron