Author Topic: Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »
Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley

As part of HBO's documentary series, 'Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley' directed by Whoopi Goldberg is a collection of television clips  and conversations by legendary performers Harry Belafonte, Bill Cosby, Kathy Griffin, Arsenio Hall, Joan Rivers, Jerry Stiller and friends.  Many of them comment on what kind of impression the woman comedian[Mabley] had on their lives, their work and the entertainment world.

Unabashed & funny social commentary of the Civil Rights Movement (she personally knew Martin Luther King Jr.),  her visit to the White House when LBJ was President of the United States and what she experienced in the 1960s through the 1970s is contained in the exploration.

Did you know that Moms Mabley was also the inspiration to Mama Odie from Disney's 'The Princess & The Frog'?  (voiced by Jennifer Lewis).

The television clip that stood out to me was Ms. Mabley's appearance on the Merv Griffin Show. Merv asks her how was her trip to the South. She tells him that the people there loved her.  In fact, they loved her so much that they named her after Roy Roger's horse, Trigger.

"Here, Trigger!" 

"Hey, Trigger!"

...or least that's what she thinks they said. 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:42:49 pm »
Really good doc.  Thanks for posting about it, I meant to but fell asleep after watching it.  But it is worth it on every level.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:29:15 am »
Really good doc.  Thanks for posting about it, I meant to but fell asleep after watching it.  But it is worth it on every level.

Sure is, Mr. Hudlin!  :)

There are sooo-o-o many excellent shows & programs out there right now that there simply isn't enough hours (or energy) in ones' life to see them all!