Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls *OPENS*  (Read 10335 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls *OPENS*
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:57:42 am »
I just happen to be reading this article about

Oprah Winfrey opens girls' school in South African town

---here's an excerpt:

'...The $40 million Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for girls in the town of Henley-on-Kip, south of Johannesburg, plucked the girls from poverty to be groomed for power.'

'Winfrey said she planned to open another school for boys and girls this month in eastern KwaZulu-Natal province.'

'When the Academy opened, guest included Mary J Blige, Mariah Carey, Sidney Pointier, Spike Lee, Tina Turner, Chris Tucker, were asked to bring a personally inscribed book for the library, which included everything from self-help books to Harry Potter.'

now as I'm reading this, might I suggest that Hudlinentertainment donate Marvel's graphic novel 'Black Panther'  (issues 1-7) ?
It would make a fantastic addition to the library at the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls! ;)

This is truly incredible! Building South Africa up one building at a time.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls *OPENS*
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:55:58 pm »
And here's what people have said about it on the BBC website.

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=5142&&edition=2&ttl=20070104215246

She's done a wonderful thing. But I don't believe it's front page news.  :(
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:19:09 pm »
i wish them blessings with the efforts, hope it thrives..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:40:56 am »
This is fantastic,go on head then OPRAH and CHRIS and Mariah and Sydney and errbody.I'll donate if there is a way to do so...and RH? Didja shoot THE BLACK PANTHER down that way?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Jenn

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:19:40 am »
Shameless pimping;D

Shaddup, it's on topic!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:22:05 pm »
i loved your blogs.
the one about paul mooney was hilarious.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Jenn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:24:01 am »
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I think Oprah's school is an example of "good intentions gone awry" (if not a stupid idea), but it's OPRAH'S MONEY.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 06:17:42 pm »
It sure is. But I still don't think it's a monumental accomplishment in Africa.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 08:31:18 pm »
That's the kind of rules they have there? It sounds more like some private prep school. What kind of future leaders are they making there?

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 03:03:43 am »
It is a private prep school. My boyfriend and his sister went to boarding school in Europe, and he says the rules there were similar.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 11:20:10 am »
It is a private prep school. My boyfriend and his sister went to boarding school in Europe, and he says the rules there were similar.

This is all kinds of messed up, but it occurs to me that if you put a Union Jack or a Tricolor flag in front of the place those same parents WOULDN'T MAKE A PEEP.

Colonialism's roots are strong, tell folks "it's European" and they become a whole lot more accepting of the rigor involved.

Evidently Oprah thinks kids need more structure and discipline in their lives. We now know why she didn't really attempt to do something like this in the U.S. More trouble than it'd be worth from her perspective.   

Jenn

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 11:34:32 am »
This is all kinds of messed up, but it occurs to me that if you put a Union Jack or a Tricolor flag in front of the place those same parents WOULDN'T MAKE A PEEP.

Or if "Oprah Winfrey" was "Bill Gates". I notice this is just a couple of people starting all this talk, and I get the impression that the so-called trouble is being overhyped. I'm sure most of the girls are perfectly happy to get out of their neighborhoods invested with AIDS, sexual violence and lack of water/electricity (or at least that's the way they were depicted). I think Oprah's trying to prepare them for the REAL. I left Dallas to go to school in Florida, and I've missed many a funeral, including the funeral of a dear, dear, dear cousin to me who was less than a month older than I am. I can count the times I've seen my family in the past seven years on one hand. That's the way it goes sometimes, and while I'm sure this is a shock to a lot of them, the truly strong ones will see that a free education in a safe environment beats being able to check your email every day.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 11:35:51 am »
I don't know if this is true, but I heard on the radio that it costs about $25,000 to build a school in Africa.  No matter the cost, I would rather Oprah build multiple quality schools in Africa rather than 1 super school for $40 million.  I think about 5,000 girls applied for her school and only 100 or so got in.  That doesn't seem right.

Jenn

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 11:52:36 am »
Remember, this school has to be run every month with faculty, security (HEAVY security, I'm sure; if I was poor and horny, a school for girls built by a very rich woman would be the first place I'd go with a gun in my hand), utilities that the town may or may not be able to handle in the long run, and so on. Oprah's no fool. If the town can handle 150, then in the future more can come in, and more, and more. But you don't go for broke on a gamble THIS risky.

But I absolutely agree that this school is nothing but an extravagant waste and an unreasonable pipe dream. Ye gods, she could've practically rebuilt Jo-burg for $40 million. Still...it's Oprah's money. God knows she could've spent it in wiser ways, but it's still her loot.