Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls *OPENS*  (Read 10320 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls *OPENS*
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 12:03:29 pm »
I guess the thing that bugs me is that every thing is an event with Oprah.  She does something great for poor children, but it becomes a special and she invites tina turner, chris rock, mariah carey, etc.  I read that she put them up and took care of them while they attended, again more money that could have been spent to help more children.  Yes, it is her money and she can do whatever she likes with it, but I just find it silly sometimes.  I wish she could do these things with less fanfare (less created by Oprah herself anyway). 

It reminds me of when I was a child.  I'd do something good but brag about it, and my parents would say that takes away from the actual good deed.

Jenn

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 12:10:03 pm »
She does a lot of things fanfare free. You hear a lot less about her Katrina homes, for example, or the tens of millions of dollars she puts in schools and towards scholarships, or the sixty and some-odd OTHER schools that she has helped to build. And all of those people she invited donated an autographed copy of their favorite book to the school library. I think the problem isn't Oprah as much as it is OPRAH IS DOING SOMETHING. From time to time, we forget that she is, without a doubt, the most powerful woman alive. Anything she does will make headlines - and rightfully so. The Angel Network supplied 65 brand new, fully furnished homes to Katrina/Rita victims. FEMA, on the other hand, is still denying people their trailers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 12:13:47 pm by Jenn »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 12:16:43 pm »
I always liked this blog entry.  ;D

http://www.campusnut.com/column.cfm?article_id=656

I Hate Oprah

I think a lot of people would beat around the bush with this one, so I am just going to come out and say it: I hate Oprah Winfrey. Maybe hate isn't exactly the right word, but somehow I would feel like less of a man admitting to the whole world that I am afraid of an aging, perpetually dieting, vegetarian talk show host. In reality, we should all be afraid.

Oprah Winfrey is a modern demagogue. She's like the soccer mom's Mussolini, prescribing what to wear, what to read, who to vote for, and even what to eat. The truth is, I just don't think that I, nor anyone else, really comprehend the limits of her power. And just think, ten years ago she was nothing more than the female equivalent of Geraldo Rivera - make that two Geraldo Rivera's. Or maybe she just ate Geraldo Rivera - it doesn't really make a difference. Oprah's rapid climb from talk show host to saint can go unnoticed no more. I volunteer to take the rap. I will accept the hate mail. I will shoulder the anger of thirty million women in the United States. I will do whatever it takes to get the word out: "I hate Oprah and you should too!"

Let's consider some of the facts. Okay, some approximations of the facts, but you'll get the idea. Nobel prize winning authors usually see their publication increase in the hundreds of thousands, at most, after winning the prize. However, if an author gets his or her book on Oprah's book list, he is guaranteed a spot on the New York Times' best-seller list. She is neither a respected author nor a respected literary critic, but Oprah speaks and millions read. And it seems like a simple observation, but when you consider the historical influence of what we read, the social ramifications of Oprah's guidance become clearer. During the Red Scare, people were branded communists based on what they read, and Hitler recognized the power of literature and focused much of the Nazi effort on censorship; so clearly, at least according to history, what people read has an effect on their social and political views. I'm not saying that Oprah is Hitler or McCarthy - I'm saying she's both of them combined.

Really, everyone has to recognize the power that Oprah wields over one of the most powerful voting blocs in the United States. For soccer moms, Oprah is Buddha and Jerry Springer all wrapped into one; she entertains, but at the same time she remains focused on the salvation of the soul. Everyday, hordes of women gather around the tele-pulpit and pray to the gods of Oprahism, people like Kevin Aucoin and Cindy Crawford, contemporary dietitians and designers; all capitalists posing as prophets on Oprah's multi-national stage.

No matter who you are, Oprah is not like you. The fact that she can convince you that she is should make you even more afraid of her than I am. I'll probably have my legs broken by angry mobs of women sent by Harpo Productions tomorrow, but today, I hate Oprah…and I'm sticking to that.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 06:49:20 pm »
It is a private prep school. My boyfriend and his sister went to boarding school in Europe, and he says the rules there were similar.

A private school that's supposed to help children who are less fortunate. Oprah supposedly picked who gets in. But they've got friends and family outside who never experienced those strict rules.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 09:20:10 pm »
Holy cow. Oprah opened a 2nd school. But this one will be run by the KwaZulus.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 08:26:33 am »
Why?  I can only hope he means it as satire but I don't think so.  First off, he compares her to Hitler (and McCarthy and Mussolini) which immediately invalidates any point he might hope to make.  (Internet debate rules 101:  Whoever brings up Hitler first loses.)  He just sounds like a player hater.  All his analogies are absurd; together they make me wonder what about her really bothers him?

It is true that Oprah is highly influential and she now has substantial resources to bring to bear.  That is a pretty good definition of power.  You may disagree with her priorities but, as Jenn keeps saying, she's paying the piper so she gets to call the tunes.  It's not like she's doing anything evil.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:31:21 am by Curtis Metcalf »
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 11:17:57 am »
Why?  I can only hope he means it as satire but I don't think so.  First off, he compares her to Hitler (and McCarthy and Mussolini) which immediately invalidates any point he might hope to make.  (Internet debate rules 101:  Whoever brings up Hitler first loses.)  He just sounds like a player hater.  All his analogies are absurd; together they make me wonder what about her really bothers him?

It is true that Oprah is highly influential and she now has substantial resources to bring to bear.  That is a pretty good definition of power.  You may disagree with her priorities but, as Jenn keeps saying, she's paying the piper so she gets to call the tunes.  It's not like she's doing anything evil.

To me, he is obviously joking and doesn't really think she is like hitler.  I think he is just saying that what oprah wants, oprah gets, and her legions of soccer mom fans would follow her where ever she would go, regardless of where it is.

Jenn

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 12:42:51 pm »
I can only hope he means it as satire but I don't think so.

Guys like this cat and Kenneth Eng should be proof that what op/ed writers do ain't easy. I get so sick of people saying "Oh, ANYONE could do your job at BET". Um, no you can't. If you could, you'd be there. Writing is a gift. Any idiot can string words together.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 08:28:38 am »
Good Lord. It hasn't been a year yet and already the school gets a scandal.  :-[

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 06:16:42 pm »
Good Lord. It hasn't been a year yet and already the school gets a scandal.  :-[

It started a few weeks after the school opened then nothing. Then suddenly the freaky mean teacher gets arrested.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 07:19:41 am »
Well, Oprah finally made a public statement. But I think she's got nothing to worry about. The female ex-employee has been charged and released on bail. Let the law take care of it now. Oprah's school can take better steps to improve the school.