Author Topic: ABC’s ‘Agent Carter’  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
ABC’s ‘Agent Carter’
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:48:34 pm »
I like the part about the Sif appearance.

ABC’s ‘Agent Carter’ Books Hayley Atwell, and ‘Resurrection’ Duo as Showrunners

ABC’s “Captain America” spinoff “Agent Carter” is gaining momentum, landing commitments from Hayley Atwell, who played the World War II government agent in the movie, and showrunners Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas.

The announcements came at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, where Fazekas told TheWrap she was sworn to secrecy about the duo’s plans.

“You know Marvel. I think they send Captain America after you. But we’re involved in it,” she joked.

Butters and Fazekas, who have an overall deal with ABC, are presently working on the network’s upcoming “Resurrection.”

The show’s pilot is written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who wrote “Captain America: The First Avenger” and the upcoming “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.”

In other Marvel-related news, ABC entertainment chief Paul Lee announced that “Agents of S.H.IE.L.D.” plans to reveal the name of evil villain The Clairvoyant soon, and will feature and appearance of “Thor” warrior Lady Sif (played by Jaimie Alexander).

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: ABC’s ‘Agent Carter’
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:53 pm »
cool.  Maybe they'll have a shorter season to hopefully avoid the viewer-drop-off curse after the first couple of episodes.  Take some cues from Sleepy Hollow and the successful cable shows.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:18:15 am »
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/meet-agent-carters-dr-jason-wilkes-in-latest-featurette

Agent Carter's down with the swirl apparently. One thing that bothers me about this series is that it isn't really honest when it comes to race. It takes on sexism in the '40s but eschews racism. I noticed in the very first episode where Peggy, while undercover, kissed a black man. He was a club owner of what appeared to be all white (though my memory is foggy) club. I haven't seen this episode with the new potential love interest-points that it's a black scientist-but inject a bit more reality into an admittedly fantasy story. They've talked about sexism, but don't skirt racism since you now have what might be a major black character on the show. Last season they didn't have a major black character on the show. In one episode there was a black Howling Commando, and the club owner that I had mentioned before.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:44:57 am »
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/meet-agent-carters-dr-jason-wilkes-in-latest-featurette

Agent Carter's down with the swirl apparently. One thing that bothers me about this series is that it isn't really honest when it comes to race. It takes on sexism in the '40s but eschews racism. I noticed in the very first episode where Peggy, while undercover, kissed a black man. He was a club owner of what appeared to be all white (though my memory is foggy) club. I haven't seen this episode with the new potential love interest-points that it's a black scientist-but inject a bit more reality into an admittedly fantasy story. They've talked about sexism, but don't skirt racism since you now have what might be a major black character on the show. Last season they didn't have a major black character on the show. In one episode there was a black Howling Commando, and the club owner that I had mentioned before.

It did show up, though probably more subtle than reality--thought California has always been more liberal than the South.  But...spoilers, I'll wait till people have seen the show.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »
I haven't seen the episode so I can't say about the racism addressed there. But my point was more about season one. That being said, when it comes to racism, it's nationwide. You heard of the Watts Riots, the LA Riots?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:26:40 pm »
I haven't seen the episode so I can't say about the racism addressed there. But my point was more about season one. That being said, when it comes to racism, it's nationwide. You heard of the Watts Riots, the LA Riots?

More in the second episode than the first.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:58:54 pm »
I finally got to see the first two episodes of Agent Carter. I thought the first episode was a little light where racism was concerned, except for the cop calling Dr. Wilkes a janitor. The second episode did address it more directly. I liked Wilkes a bit more in the second episode than the first. He wasn't as much a dude in distress. And there was some thought behind his actions and he wasn't just all about trying to date Agent Carter. I found it a little hard to swallow though that Wilkes would've been so up on Peggy in public, particularly the first time he asked her out, in front of two white men (two white cops for for the most part). That didn't really work for me.

As for the episodes themselves, I think season 2 is off to a better start than season 1. I was surprised that Black Widow returned so soon and we got a Peggy-Black Widow fight in the first five minutes or so of season 2. I'm also glad that we got something of a discussion of the SSR's reach. I mean its jurisdiction and authority hasn't been well defined on the show. Also liking Whitney Frost. Also liked Mrs. Jarvis. And I enjoyed a lot of the interplay between Peggy and Jarvis; it provided some nice humor.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:21:38 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:44:40 am »
Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.  Good stuff so far.  The racial politics are sprinkled with Marvel-dust and thus not as hardcore as you would expect them to be.  Wilkes mentioned he was in the Navy:
https://catalog.archives.gov/id/535776
http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-navy/negro-seabees.jpg.html
possibly?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 07:16:14 am »
Please correct me if I am wrong but this show was rumored to be cancelled.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 02:55:20 pm »
Please correct me if I am wrong but this show was rumored to be cancelled.

yup, and it was. =(

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:44:06 am »
Unfortunately, it was.
It was one of my favorites.
Agent Carter was a hottie, too!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 01:20:52 pm »
^
Yes Hayley Atwell is. I watched the last several episodes of the second season, after missing some in the middle. Not a bad show. Better than Agents of SHIELD in many respects. It sucks to see it go. Though it would be cool if they could do some television or straight to video movies with Agent Carter adventures from time to time.

Offline daingermouz20

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:25:04 am »
I would love for Agent Carter to continue. There is sill alot of mystery left. I had always assumed Agent Carter married James Falsworth aka Union Jack and the mother of The Invaders members Union Jack #2 and Spitfire. Though it's never actually said Its  what I think after watching Captain America: First Avenger and watching Peggy Carter in Civil War. It appears she does have two kids a boy and a girl. We know Captain America saved the man who'd be her husband. We know James Falsworth was one of those P.O.W's. We know in comics Falsworth does become Union Jack. Still so much more story to tell of Carter. Plus...............she's HOT!!