Author Topic: Talking Race: Getting into trouble on othere message boards for even doing so.  (Read 53877 times)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
In what way? Can you list some examples? Certainly of the white male/black female variety, but not of the black male/white female variety. That's why its odd the ONE example we have (Cage/Jessica) she's fugly, like that's as good as he could do.

I don't care if they drew here as the beautiful white woman. the black man was made for the black woman. I have never seen a good looking white woman compare in beauty to a good looking black woman.

I respect that you feel that way, however I was trying to compare a beautiful white woman with an ugly one, not black vs white beauty. I'm saying if, for whatever reason, they felt they MUST have Cage date a white woman, why is she drawn this way? I didn't read much of Alias so maybe this is the way Bendis intentioned all along. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, I'm just saying its...curious, is all.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

I don't care if they drew here as the beautiful white woman. the black man was made for the black woman. I have never seen a good looking white woman compare in beauty to a good looking black woman.

I think thats wrong on so many levels.  People were made to love people.  The color of their skin doesn't invalidate their love or make it wrong.  If the 2 individuals are in love, then thats all that matters.  Saying they are specifically there to love only people like themselves makes no sense.

And a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman.  Personally, you might prefer black women.  Thats fine.  But saying that beautiful black women are always better looking than beautiful white women also strikes me as nonsense.  I'll repeat that in my opinion, a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman.  Period.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 06:48:32 am by newguyontheblock »

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
I think thats wrong on so many levels.

If your white I'm not surprised ::)

People were made to love people.

black people were made to love black people,

The color of their skin doesn't invalidate their love or make it wrong.  If the 2 individuals are in love, then thats not all that matters.  Saying the are specifically there to love only people like themselves makes no sense.

The fact that I prefer Black women over white women makes no sense ::)

And a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman.  Personally, you might perfer black women.  Thats fine.  But saying that beautiful black women are always better looking than beautiful white women also strikes me as nonsense.  I'll repeat that in my opinion, a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman.  Period.

If I prefer Black women over white women that means I think Black women are better looking always. I repeat my OPINION that a beautiful black woman will always look better then a beautiful white woman

Jenn

Opinion? Dude, that's a FACT, plain and simple!  ;D And it applies for men as well. A black man in a cheap suit will always look better than a white man in ANY suit.

I have never seen a good looking white woman compare in beauty to a good looking black woman.

Same here. Actually, I'd be very hard-pressed to name a good-looking white woman, period. They're not UGLY women, they're just...white.

*edit* Wait, I take that back. I have a weakness for redheads. But compared to the sistas? NEH-VURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:25:00 pm by Dora Milaje »

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX

Same here. Actually, I'd be very hard-pressed to name a good-looking white woman, period. They're not UGLY women, they're just...white.

Just a question, if I take this post and replace the word white with black...whatcha think?

Same here. Actually, I'd be very hard-pressed to name a good-looking black woman, period. They're not UGLY women, they're just...black.

Wow.  what do you think that sounds like?  ;)

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Jenn

Sounds like your opinion, which you're entitled to.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Sounds like your opinion, which you're entitled to.

It was a general question, wasnt giving my opinion.  Something wrong Jenn, you seemed to be so mad all the time?  ???

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Jenn

Ah, yes. The "angry black bitch" suggestion. Must be Monday.  ::)

IF the Wakandans are shown gettign thier haircut or thier hair done, they are acting to african american,   If the wakandans are not living in Huts, they are to western.

Oh LAWD, I forgot all of that! For the new HEFfas, we swear to you that these are ACTUAL ARGUMENTS, not made up ones!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:07:45 am by Dora Milaje »

Offline sharcque

• I'm kinda old, but chicks still dig me.
    • View Profile

Just a question, if I take this post and replace the word white with black...whatcha think?

Same here. Actually, I'd be very hard-pressed to name a good-looking black woman, period. They're not UGLY women, they're just...black.

Wow.  what do you think that sounds like?  ;)

To me, it sounds like if it was said on another board, that there'd be a thread started here linking to it, with the thread originator screaming bloody murder.

Jenn

White men don't find black women attractive (unless their names are Halle Berry or Beyonce), so why would I be upset if they said so? I'll say so. Don't like it? Go to hell.

In Panther we have the Black highschool Jock Getting the Girl (Storm) and standing toe to toe or kicking their fav Character's behinds and this makes the Geeks Oh so Unsettled :D ;)

Actually, I think it's more like the new guy in school asking out the homecoming queen that everyone else was too scared to ask out - including the jocks - and her saying yes. This really isn't as much about how Storm is being portrayed, no matter how much those people want to say it is. What this is REALLY about is a black man making a bunch of white men look like punks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:15:33 am by Dora Milaje »

Offline sharcque

• I'm kinda old, but chicks still dig me.
    • View Profile
White men don't find black women attractive (unless their names are Halle Berry or Beyonce), so why would I be upset if they said so? I'll say so. Don't like it? Go to hell.
Thank you for speaking for me.  It's good to know my likes & dislikes.

Jenn

You're welcome.

Offline Ammar

• View Profile
black people were made to love black people

Then why can a black man/woman have perfectly healthy children with a white man/woman?

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
In what way? Can you list some examples? Certainly of the white male/black female variety, but not of the black male/white female variety. That's why its odd the ONE example we have (Cage/Jessica) she's fugly, like that's as good as he could do.

I respect that you feel that way, however I was trying to compare a beautiful white woman with an ugly one, not black vs white beauty. I'm saying if, for whatever reason, they felt they MUST have Cage date a white woman, why is she drawn this way? I didn't read much of Alias so maybe this is the way Bendis intentioned all along. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, I'm just saying its...curious, is all.

Femininity is beautiful in all of its manifestations. IMAHO, there are no ugly women unless the woman herself believes herself to be ugly and behaves that way.

Now, I am aware that as human beings, we are attracted to those things that are pleasing to our senses. We like sounds that are pleasing to our sense of hearing. We enjoy foods that are pleasing to our sense of taste. We like touching and being touched by things that appeal to our tactile senses. We like smelling sweet and/or savory fragrances and we like resting our eyes on pleasant things. This said, there are some women and men who by accident of their birth (or the access to lots of money and expert cosmetic surgeons), are more visually appealing than other women and men might be.

I too have noticed that there are times when Jessica Jones has been rendered in ways that make her appear to be plain and homely. She certainly does not resemble Mary Jane Watson, Ms Marvel/Carol Danvers, Emma Frost, Wanda Maximoff, Janet Van Dyne or any of Marvel's white femme fatales that no black male character should ever get within sniffing distance of as far as the larger comic book-buying demographic is concerned. Cloak's partner Dagger has been drawn more  attractively than has Jessica Jones and notice, unless any of you have seen something I haven't - Cloak has never pressed his lips to Dagger's romantically. Not once. On the other hand, white male characters have been introduced into Cloak and Dagger books in order to allow many within the larger comic book-buying demographic to enjoy Cloak's jealousy as Dagger is romanced by those white male characters. I have to think that this is by design.

Oliver Coipel is such a fine artist, that it didn't seem possible for him to render a Jessica Jones that wasn't somewhat attractive. But it does seem that bald-headed Bendis writes a stereotypical Cage who fits the stereotype of some whiny white males that the only white woman a black man is capable of getting is a homely one, a fat one, or both  :D Blacks like Seal, Charles Barkley, and other male celebs with white women only have them because of their fame and fortune. Tiki Barber must drive some of those ol' boys nuts. His wife is Japanese-Korean.

So in response to your query BP, I have to think that Bendis was going for a measure of "reality" if by his instruction, Jessica Jones is to be "drawn down" the way she has been.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Ammar

• View Profile
In a sentence, segregation is okay as long as white people are okay with it.

You know, I agree with that post you made only for the exception of "colourblindness" which I do think is a good thing when applied right.

But when you sum it up to "yaaay segregation!" then you sound awfully retarded. Especially considering the connotations of the word and how it's rooted in hate and racism.