Author Topic: Talking Race: Getting into trouble on othere message boards for even doing so.  (Read 42740 times)

Offline Moose100

• View Profile
I think his relationship with Jessica has made him more palatable to mainstream tastes.

THAT'S it. I knew I was explaining myself poorly. It's almost like "Look! Here's a kinder, friendly, less 'racist' Luke Cage! He loves white people now! He even married one!" *gags* And the way they went about it? Pathetic.

Jenn I totally feel you and this Cage/Jones thing is another dynamic that I shouldve seen but it makes sense.  While Bendis is making a strong point of demonstrating strong interacacial relationships it also seems to take the "edge" off of his blackness maybe.

Or you can look at it as a previous poster said as Cage being comfortable in his blackness and individuality to actually do so.  Though a bizarre thing to do for Power Man this perspective makes sense to me as well.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
No harm, no foul...no point I dunno; I guess after reading a pair as passionate and loving as BP and Storm, Luke and Jessica come up way short. They're buddies. A team. But a husband and wife? Nah.

I agree, they're nowhere near BP/Storm, but come on, who is?  At least they're not Reed and Sue
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
I think his relationship with Jessica has made him more palatable to mainstream tastes.

THAT'S it. I knew I was explaining myself poorly. It's almost like "Look! Here's a kinder, friendly, less 'racist' Luke Cage! He loves white people now! He even married one!" *gags* And the way they went about it? Pathetic.

Jenn I totally feel you and this Cage/Jones thing is another dynamic that I shouldve seen but it makes sense.  While Bendis is making a strong point of demonstrating strong interacacial relationships it also seems to take the "edge" off of his blackness maybe.

Or you can look at it as a previous poster said as Cage being comfortable in his blackness and individuality to actually do so.  Though a bizarre thing to do for Power Man this perspective makes sense to me as well.

Hey, it worked for Charles Barkley
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Alias was one of the best reads this century so far, imho.

I loved Alias.  I can't stand Bendis on mainstream stuff, though I really enjoyed Ult. Spider-Man for the first 60 issues or so.

Alias was great because Jessica Jones was his own creation and that is where he is at his best (Goldfish, Jinx, Torso, Alias).  I did drop Powers about 6 months ago because it was getting annoying, in my opinion.

I was sad that a great book like Alias became that crap The Pulse. (sorry if someone likes that  :-\)

Offline Moose100

• View Profile
Hey Jenn I went to FAMU as well for a little bit  ;)!!!

I have too heard te argument that "Black collges are racist" by other whites without even considering their historical relevance and function and their admissions practices.  THey just automatically assume that HBCUs are "actively excluding white people".

Yeah but this debate on comicboards.com that I went through was totally unintentional.  It got worse because I told them truths that they couldn't handle.  I didnt pander to their worldviews.  Im thinkin that the ones who were the most heated were probably the ones that fit "that certain criteria" if you know what I mean. ;D

Then all of a sudden they were saying that " I was calling them racist" and that "I was making blanket statements".  All I really pointed out that Hudlin was providing an authentic African-American commentary and that doing so ruffles feathers.  The responses I got were simply amazing...   

Jenn

I tend to tell white people that most HBCUs were founded before we were legally allowed to read.

There are writers out there who can write a wonderful Storm, I'm sure. But thanks to Hudlin, I've been spoiled on having a BLACK Storm. I can't imagine regressing back to Storm the Earth Goddess again. My eyes can hardly stay open at the very thought.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:18:01 pm by Jenn »

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
What if Jessica Jones was Black, but otherwise the same character?

Some would still be asking for Cage to have get involved with a "cape" who was more together. I think it makes more sense for Bendis to have put the Black character he likes (Cage) with the kind of woman he's probably most familiar with (white), rather than "research" Black relationships and write comics that make us all sick in the process. Although I understand the cry for more healthy Black relationships in the media.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:50:10 pm by Rasmane »

Jenn

What if Jessica Jones was Black, but otherwise the same character?

She'd be Monica Lynne. In other words, just as dull.

Offline Loren

• View Profile
Many of the people who criticize Reg's BP over continuity remind me of those white people who insist the American Civil War was fought over states rights and the slavery thing was just incidental.  Just replace states rights with 'continuity' and slavery with 'a powerful black character'.

Speaking of which, if you're ever confronted with someone insisting that slavery was incidental to the South's secession, share this with them.  It's a piece I wrote for my college paper a few years back, and it illustrates as clearly as possible that the Confederate leaders most definitely had slavery first and foremost on their minds.

Loren

GrimSkill

they prefer stereotypical images...there was a similar comment recently under BP # 23's comment thread on www.uncannyxmen.net where one said. "......now if BP starts to have lots of imperfections and starts to beat his wife."

Remember when people were talking about one of them having an affair? Preferably BP, of course, because Storm is oh-so-perfect and you know those colored men will screw anything moving.  ::)

......I Still want my Story Arc Where Storm and Emma Frost Switch Bodys some how and can't Switch Back.

Then T'Challa and Ororo have to get used to having sex in and with Emma's Body

It's a Good idea Gosh darnet....

>.>

<.<

>.<

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
they prefer stereotypical images...there was a similar comment recently under BP # 23's comment thread on www.uncannyxmen.net where one said. "......now if BP starts to have lots of imperfections and starts to beat his wife."

Remember when people were talking about one of them having an affair? Preferably BP, of course, because Storm is oh-so-perfect and you know those colored men will screw anything moving.  ::)

......I Still want my Story Arc Where Storm and Emma Frost Switch Bodys some how and can't Switch Back.

>.>

<.<

>.<

Never mention that idea again please...

Thanks.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I read alias and while cage "liked" jones he wasn't smitten with her. In fact subtly in the 70's cage had been portraid as a ladies man. In the 80's he had gotten with misty knight briefly when she and danny rand broke up he was able to "handle" the she hulk and today you have reg, detailing cage getting with the black cat on the sofa at his safe house. My point is that cage has always been a manwhore and that after a one night stand in which anal sex was involved one of his conquest that he kind of liked got knocked up. The two characters were in a strange point in their lifes with cage almost dying right? So it makes sence that cage would grow up a little bit do the man thing and take his reponcibilities. Yea he could have been a "babby daddy" and simply paid his child support but come on we all would have been madd pissed off at that. I think it was the better story as well as the most relistic showing of two street gritty characters to have this thrusted upon them. I look forward to that cage mini next year and some lucky mofo is going to have the book of the year on his hands when he tackle the story of these two raising a kid together. God bless that child, she is going to need it with parents like that. Should be a good read though.

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
Race scares the sh*t out of both white poeple, and the house need-to-grows.

Nighthawk can say and dow hate ver he wants in squadren supreme and nobody complains because the writer is white

The current Blade writer made Blade a half white son of a whore, and has made racial comments while fighting doom.   Nobody cares because the writer is white

Black Panther marries storm,  It is racist.  A white bad guy in a predominate white universe of marvel gets his ass kicked by bP it is racist/  IF BP talks to other like he is a King he is racist..

IF the Wakandans are shown gettign thier haircut or thier hair done, they are acting to african american,   If the wakandans are not living in Huts, they are to western.

Why is that,  It is a Black Man creating these images.   

In many fan-tards eyes,  black people should not have an opinion and should stay in thier place. 

More on this later
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
if you got more then let me get some popcorn and enjoy reading more of your points.   :D

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile

>.>

<.<

>.<

Why do you keep bringing that up?
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron