Author Topic: Atheist and Christian argue about hell (in a Starbucks). Atheist wins.  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
There's PLENTY of people who claim to be faithful while violating the word or spirit of their belief system.

True. The question is whether they are honest and attribute their lapses to human weakness, laziness, or indifference, or whether they feel the need to rationalize their conduct by redefining themselves as "spiritual"  or with some similar laudatory description. I imagine doing the latter is easier on the ego.
I was referring to sanctimonious types who lack humility, are judgmental, pious, hypocritical....and sometimes even murderous in the name of God. 

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Unfortunately the negative traits you describe are universal human traits. Plenty of secularists also exhibit them.

This includes killing. More persons were killed by adherents to secular movements (Marxism, Nazism) than religious movements in the 20th Century.

I agree these traits can be a turn off.  We see 'em all the time from all quarters.
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6