Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 235709 times)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:24:05 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »
Hopefully Storm will get her just due. I was a fan of the marriage and still think the annulment was a bad idea. The Wolverine-Storm romance didn't do anything for me. I liked Pak's work on World War Hulk and War Machine so I'm guardedly optimistic that he can deliver a Storm series worthy of the character.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:16:21 pm »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:38 pm »
This sounds like how I envision her...

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »
restore the marriage.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:56:07 pm »
Right now is not a good time to restore the marriage. She is just getting her own solo title. She needs some time alone to establish herself before she gets into any relationships. We need to see Storm as Storm. Let her have her moment in the spotlight for a while. I've only bought about 7 comics in the last 2 years or so because Storm was just wallpaper. Now that she finally has the opportunity to shine in a big way, I don't want her to share the spotlight with anyone right now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:00:19 am by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:04 am »
As a person who happens to like Lois Lane better than Wonder Woman or Superman it's time to let BP/Storm marriage stuff go.Lois and Clark after 70+ years and an adoring fan base and Comic-wise D.C. has moved on. Comparably together five minutes and a base that never supported it (for reasons good and bad) why in the hell would they put that mess back together unless they want to ensure the books a miserable failure?

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:41 am »
As a person who happens to like Lois Lane better than Wonder Woman or Superman it's time to let BP/Storm marriage stuff go.Lois and Clark after 70+ years and an adoring fan base and Comic-wise D.C. has moved on. Comparably together five minutes and a base that never supported it (for reasons good and bad) why in the hell would they put that mess back together unless they want to ensure the books a miserable failure?

Exactly! Here is part of a post I did on another board about Storm that includes a potential romantic interest:

Storm's supporting cast should be an international group of regular humans devoid of all super powers. Heck, I would love it if a man were introduced in the series where he and Storm became good friends and eventual lovers. He should be a regular human with no super powers. Imagine if this man were a multi-billionaire environmental enthusiast? This way, he doesn't detract at all from Storm in her own solo title in regards to the super hero stuff. It would be an interesting dynamic as well. How does a regular human man deal with dating a woman who has the will and power to end all life on Earth with power reserves on a cosmic scale? Or, he could just be head over heels for her and what she's doing for the Earth. The occasional appearance of a character like Kitty Pryde, or Wolverine, or Ms. Marvel, or Nightcrawler, or Gambit, or Invisible Woman, or Black Panther, or Yukio, or Captain America would be cool. However, I don't want to see another super powered person on her permanent supporting cast. They would be stealing some of the action from Storm.

Storm/BP is a very sore spot with the Storm fanbase right now. Trying to reconstitute a romantic relationship between the two will instantly ensure Storm's new title's failure as it will alienate too many fans. The marriage did not work out. It could have, but there were too many blunders which I have already outlined in another thread on this board. If Marvel wanted to try a Storm/BP relationship again, they need to wait a couple of years before trying to bring them together and let things build up naturally this time. However, a Storm/BP romance should be the furthest thing from their minds at this time and for the foreseeable future for the sake of the book attracting and holding readership.

On a different note, here is another interview with Pak regarding Storm's new ongoing: http://www.newsarama.com/20973-c2e2-2014-greg-pak-forecasts-fierce-storm-in-new-ongoing-series.html

Sounds great! Sounds like its going to be along the lines of "Worlds Apart" and look at how good that story was! :) In WAP, Storm had to balance being both an X-Man and Queen of Wakanda. She had to deal with a threat that threatened Wakanda, BP and the X-Men all at once. She balanced that out well and it was exciting. This ongoing looks to be along the same lines with her balancing world crusader and headmistress of the Jean Grey School.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:12:52 am by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »
The best gift to this book Marvel could give is pairing T'Challa with a dynamic other love interest so their friendship could resume unencumbered and his base bitterness be assuaged.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »
The best gift to this book Marvel could give is pairing T'Challa with a dynamic other love interest so their friendship could resume unencumbered and his base bitterness be assuaged.

I agree with this.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:32:15 pm »
 ::)  I wish this series well, and since Pak is a “name” player, I guess it will get more than perfunctory support, at least for now.  But I don’t respect how the marriage was dissolved, and I have zero interest in seeing Ororo paired romantically with various folks that fall into the “anybody but a black man at all costs.. Doop is single, right?” category. In full disclosure I’ve been on a comics-buying hiatus for the past 2 years, and so I wouldn’t be buying this in general.  >:( >:(
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:38:52 pm »
::)  I wish this series well, and since Pak is a “name” player, I guess it will get more than perfunctory support, at least for now.  But I don’t respect how the marriage was dissolved, and I have zero interest in seeing Ororo paired romantically with various folks that fall into the “anybody but a black man at all costs.. Doop is single, right?” category. In full disclosure I’ve been on a comics-buying hiatus for the past 2 years, and so I wouldn’t be buying this in general.  >:( >:(

I agree with you on the way the marriage was dissolved. It was terrible. Problem is, there are not too many Black characters in Marvel worthy of being with Storm. How many top tier characters does Marvel have who are actually Black? In her own title, maybe she could meet somebody new. An African-American guy we have never seen before. A new, created character who has no super powers at all, but is a very successful billionaire who happens to be very passionate about the things like sustainability and preservation and falls head over heels for Storm. They could start out as friends and eventually it evolves into a relationship.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »
Or, Marvel could just write Storm and Black Panther like professionals instead of acting like racist cock-blocking nincompoops when it comes to showing a regal black man and a regal black woman in love with each other.

I will forever call Marvel (and DC) out for their racist bullsh*t, and I'll keep doing it right in their faces, too, as I've been doing.

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:39:40 pm »
restore the marriage.

chuuch!

This sounds like how I envision her...

sounds like the same ol'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/04/27/greg-pak-storm-comic-book-excluisve/8253687/

This is exciting! :)

it could be....

New Storm Ongoing Title?  Who is Storm? I think She's...

hhmmmmm....

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Pretty nifty! ;)