Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 691625 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2014, 10:19:04 am »
Honestly I wouldn't have picked Clarmont period l'm also not a fan of OVERPOWERED heroes (one reason I don't love Superman comics). So we'll see. I'm moderately optimistic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Storm being written that powerfully at all. Just make sure the villains are powerful enough to pose a realistic threat to her. Would you agree with that?

You think she is powerful enough to beat Doomsday,  more powerful than Magneto,  TPG should view her as an equal,  and so on.   You think she is more powerful than anyone and if he writes anyone as being a challenge or superior,  you are going to write a five page article explaining why the writer is wrong and Storm should have taken down the villain effortlessly.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
You think she is powerful enough to beat Doomsday,  more powerful than Magneto,  TPG should view her as an equal,  and so on.   You think she is more powerful than anyone and if he writes anyone as being a challenge or superior,  you are going to write a five page article explaining why the writer is wrong and Storm should have taken down the villain effortlessly.

Don't encourage this madness

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2014, 11:40:17 am »
Honestly I wouldn't have picked Clarmont period l'm also not a fan of OVERPOWERED heroes (one reason I don't love Superman comics). So we'll see. I'm moderately optimistic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Storm being written that powerfully at all. Just make sure the villains are powerful enough to pose a realistic threat to her. Would you agree with that?

I don't ever recall doing a Storm vs. Doomsday debate. LOL! I don't read DC. Storm is definitely more powerful than Magneto. He needs a machine to boost his power just to turn off the lights around the world. In "Magneto War", Magneto created a machine to boost his powers to do just this feat. When the machine was destroyed and he was forced to control all of that energy on his own, he nearly lost his life and was lucky to walk away from the incident with just his mutant powers being permanently burned out from the ordeal. If you try and bring up "Fatal Attractions" where Magneto caused a world wide blackout before this instance in "Magneto War", the only reason he was able to do that there was because Forge's machine was used to skewer the EM field to such a degree that if Magneto had come within the Earth's atmosphere and attempted to use his powers, the fields would have fedback on him instantly killing him. He blasted the skewered geomagnetic field from space while it was warped to this extreme which resulted in the global EMP. Canon has shown that he doesn't have this kind of power under the merits of his own power. He needs technology to do feats that are far below what Storm can do naturally without anything hiking up her powers. Magneto lost credibility years ago. Its become common practice at Marvel that whenever a character more powerful than he faces him in combat, said character's powers levels are adjusted downward to make him a big bad. There are examples of this with other characters besides Storm.

That said, the average hurricane is about 500 miles across and they generate enough power to power supply the entire planet. Storm has controlled hemisphere-sized hurricanes before and continent-sized blizzards.So, she has controlled more energy than it would take to power supply the world exponentially. On another occassion, she created a gamma-powered weather shield around the whole Earth to deflect a planet-destroying blast from the sun. She redirected the full power of Sienna Blaze who's powers were strong enough to split the planet like a ripe melon. All of this, and I still haven't said it all. So, yeah, Storm is MUCH more powerful than Magneto. I don't know why you would bring that up against me when you know I can debunk it. Even Magneto himself has stated that Storm has the power to beat him, but she holds back.

Regarding TPG, what I said was Storm and TPG were Wakanda's two most powerful protectors back when she and T'challa were married.

That said, Storm should be VERY powerful and pitted against villains strong enough to challenge that power. A hero is only overpowered when the opposition is too weak to challenge them. Well, it depends on how you look at it. I don't see Storm as being overpowered as much as I see her being pitted against characters that have no business challenging her. The MU has villains of varying power levels ranging from characters to fight with the likes of Spiderman and Luke Cage all the way up to sparring partners for the likes of Silver Surfer, Thor...and even Galactus, etc. There is definitely a place for a hero as powerful as Storm.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:16:18 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52:49 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/04/27/greg-pak-storm-comic-book-excluisve/8253687/

This is exciting! :)

RUUUUUTOOOOOG WHASSUP BRUH!!

Hey, long time, no see. Been out of comics for a few years and just getting back into them. This board is a different place from when I left it for a while. The mood around here is more solemn now. It used to be bright and happy. I am hopeful that the mood will pick back up to where it used to be, though. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:04:33 pm by Rutog98 »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2014, 11:56:07 am »
Hopefully Storm will get her just due. I was a fan of the marriage and still think the annulment was a bad idea. The Wolverine-Storm romance didn't do anything for me. I liked Pak's work on World War Hulk and War Machine so I'm guardedly optimistic that he can deliver a Storm series worthy of the character.

Pak absolutely tore it down on War Machine. He did a pretty good job on WWH too, although I didn't like how Hulk never really intended to "never stop making them pay". But man...he KILLED it on War Machine.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2014, 11:58:54 am »
Right now is not a good time to restore the marriage. She is just getting her own solo title. She needs some time alone to establish herself before she gets into any relationships. We need to see Storm as Storm. Let her have her moment in the spotlight for a while. I've only bought about 7 comics in the last 2 years or so because Storm was just wallpaper. Now that she finally has the opportunity to shine in a big way, I don't want her to share the spotlight with anyone right now.

big giant humongous cosign. big. Giant. Humongous. Cosign. I had to type it twice.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »
This sounds like how I envision her...

didn't we write whimsically about this very thing back when RH had STORM breaking up the Sudanese slave trade, ending droughts, and lots of other common sense very powerful cool stuff? And again when STORM dropped CLOR?
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:49 pm »

Storm, no. Rogue Storm, however...isn't she supposed to be equivalent to freakin' Dark Phoenix? However that doesn't seem the be the Storm that Pak is writing about.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »
::)  I wish this series well, and since Pak is a “name” player, I guess it will get more than perfunctory support, at least for now.  But I don’t respect how the marriage was dissolved, and I have zero interest in seeing Ororo paired romantically with various folks that fall into the “anybody but a black man at all costs.. Doop is single, right?” category. In full disclosure I’ve been on a comics-buying hiatus for the past 2 years, and so I wouldn’t be buying this in general.  >:( >:(

The fact is that STORM never had a serious solo before. And the fact is that most of STORM's base DO NOT see her as BLACK but more as A MUTANT...and frankly want to keep her AWAY from Black men in particular.

So. Straight up. Rignt now? STORM needs to be just STORM. She literally doesn't need any man. I don't like the idea that comic nerdds like us tend otsee a strong beautiful woman and wonder who her man is going to be...but nobody really wonders who Hawkeye's or Captain America's girl is going to be. Storm isn't defined by any man or any romantic relationship [ bisexual or not ]. STORM needs to be STORM for a couple years. No relationship yet. And embrace her racial mutant and superhuman roles, like RH started having her to do...but in a way that is more acceptable to her X-FAN base, so her book can be a commercial success sans the negative press. That way, the [ far too many racist ] X-Fans who oppose any idea of her being with a non-X-Guy for any reason and most especially ANY Black man for any reason can be coaxed into another direction [ keeping the book a financial success, which isthe number one thing that keeps her series afloat, and we need her series to float ] or they can go to hell.

Now. Didn't we all predict this awhile ago, when we predicted that they'd kill the marriage once RH left? Yes, we did.

What is the REAL way to ensure that Storm and TChalla hook back up?

Not all of our real time, real logic, real sense reasons why the marriage should have happened a long time ago and should have been a success and kept up forever. Not the absolute rock hard fact that TChalla and Storm should be the Black Sue and Reed Richards. And they should. Haters can kiss where the sun don't shine, in honest to goodness, best of all worlds, wish Marvel wasn't racist logic and thinking.

So what's the real way to guarantee that Marvel would pair these two and NOT break them up for a long long time?

TCHALLA HAS TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL SOLO SERIES AND A SUCCESSFUL MOVIE FRANCHISE. STORM'S SOLO SERIES HAS TO ROCK AND IT HAS TO EMBRACE HER BLACKNESS AND HER AFRICAN HERITAGE TOO. Which Pak can do. Very well. Money talks [ not the Chris Tucker movie, although that joint was funny ]. With enough money? Racism can be sent packing. Ask the former Clippers owner.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2014, 12:47:32 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/04/27/greg-pak-storm-comic-book-excluisve/8253687/

This is exciting! :)

RUUUUUTOOOOOG WHASSUP BRUH!!

Hey, long time, no see. Been out of comics for a few years and just getting back into them. This board is a different place from when I left it for a while. The mood around here is more solemn now. It used to be bright and happy. I am hopeful that the mood will pick back up to where it used to be, though. :)

]
the mood HAS been more solemn around here. There's more to be solemn about...because we have been given reason to be solemn, and we have become more jaded. Less willing to hope for good stuff. Hickman was killin it at first, but he certainly missed very large opportunities to elevate TChalla in his otherwise dazzling Aveengers and New Avengers work. Now TChalla is basically gong to take a back seat [ at least for a while ] in New Avengers, and we have some good reason to expect that TChalla's role in ORIGINAL SIN is more flash than substance and sort of a way to okey doke us out of realizing and getting incensed with his diminishing role in New Avengers.

If TChalla gets introduced in THE AVENGERS movies as the genuine honest to goodness supergenius super spiritual superbadass nonsuperhuman who all at once is richer than Starks, equivalent in intelligence to Reed Richards, super tech'd out, has unique spiritual and mystical ability, [ which can be done simply by having Nick Fury Jr. SAYING these things as part of his Mission Brief about Wakanda and The Mysterious Black Panther ] TChalla out techs SHIELD and easily brings down the Helicarrier because they repossessed Vibranium from a ttrace amount that Dr. Erskine had hidden from everyone but which fell into the hands of bad guys [ OMEGA RED et al, for example ] whom THE AVENGERS are sent to smash [ prelim to AVENGERS VS XMEN ]. The Avengers show up to stomp the baddies only to find that while they're stomping bad guys, TChalla is snagging the Vibranium. That starts the whole TCHALLA VS AVENGERS thing that we saw in the cartoon series, and TChalla handles everyone, outsmarts Thor, uses his agility to fight outmanuever Hulk, uses his tech to hurt Hulk [ not badly, he just gives him a good thump like Hulk did to Thor ] and then uses his tech to revert Hulk back to Bruce Banner with his tech, clashes with Cap for a good but brief h2h fight that is longer than Cap's fight with Batroc, then escapes after he trounces Widow and Hawkeye.

The Falcon and TChalla should have at least two significant scenes. The first is that they fight each other. Sam, Widow and Hawkeye should triple team TChalla in a very stylish fight taking best advantage of which each can do, and TChalla should beat all three. TChalla Nick and Sam should all say something together...even if briefly...about being Black superheroes and Falcon should tell TChalla that he and Luke Cage have always looked up to The Black Panthers in many ways...even when they didn't always trust Wakanda or The Black Panthers. Cap should say to Nick:"Who's Luke Cage?" And Nick should say something like:"We'll talk Luke and Danny at some other time."

TChalla should have another extended h2h throwdown with Captain America [ later in the movie, as The Avengers seek to infiltrate Wakanda to get back Teh Vibranium and learn more about the Black Panther ] that never reaches a conclusion [ for some reason that both the moviegoing audience and we comic geeks can accept; probably because TChalla has respect for Cap because Cap knew and was friends with TChaka; and that respect is guardedly returned by Cap for the same reason plus the fact that Cap says onscreen that he's not sure if he can take TChalla ]. The Avengers should never get the vibranium back. Somebody like Thor should say that Captain America and TChalla are both among the finest warriors he has ever known.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
Or, Marvel could just write Storm and Black Panther like professionals instead of acting like racist cock-blocking nincompoops when it comes to showing a regal black man and a regal black woman in love with each other.

All of this. If they're not going to be lovers, why couldn't they have at least stayed friends?

And LOLing at rabid Storm fans coming to this place thinking that HEF would give even 1/64ths of a single f*ck about anything Storm-related. Not because of the dissolving of the marriage, but because of everything after. You couldn't pay me to read this sh*t. Anybody supporting this crap has even LESS pride than Black Panther fans who are still throwing money at Marvel.

I'm proud to say that Marvel has not gotten a dime of my money in years, and they sure as hell won't be getting it now. I'll read Klaws of the Panther before I ever read a Storm mini.

Still love you.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:47 pm »
@Supreme Illuminati,

To be frank, I don't want to see T'challa show up first in an Avengers movie. I think he needs a solo movie first. To level with you, the whole idea of Wakanda is wild, exotic and primal based on its local and everything. I think it would appeal to the larger movie-going audience as its fascinating. It would be awesomely impressive to see T'challa traversing the Astral Plane and talking to the Panther God while on that place as TPG endows him with power. There should be a whole movie devoted to BP to define for everyone who he is and what Wakanda is all about as we get wonderful visuals of that mythical country. They can make Wakanda as splendiferous as they please.  Picture this massively advanced technological wonder of a nation out there centered in the wild jungles of Africa otherwise untouched and tell me that doesn't sound like a wonderful sight. The special effects in a movie like this can be breathtaking.

After an introduction like this, then plop him onto the cast of an Avengers movie, otherwise we will not be able to get all the dimensions of the character.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:15:00 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »
Or, Marvel could just write Storm and Black Panther like professionals instead of acting like racist cock-blocking nincompoops when it comes to showing a regal black man and a regal black woman in love with each other.

All of this. If they're not going to be lovers, why couldn't they have at least stayed friends?

And LOLing at rabid Storm fans coming to this place thinking that HEF would give even 1/64ths of a single f*ck about anything Storm-related. Not because of the dissolving of the marriage, but because of everything after. You couldn't pay me to read this sh*t. Anybody supporting this crap has even LESS pride than Black Panther fans who are still throwing money at Marvel.

I'm proud to say that Marvel has not gotten a dime of my money in years, and they sure as hell won't be getting it now. I'll read Klaws of the Panther before I ever read a Storm mini.

Still love you.

LOL! How classy. ;) Its probably the way I should have responded to her when she came at me for supporting the Storm title rather than the way I did. I don't hate her. She's just angry and disappointed.

Pretty nifty! ;)

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »
@Supreme Illuminati,

To be frank, I don't want to see T'challa show up first in an Avengers movie. I think he needs a solo movie first. To level with you, the whole idea of Wakanda is wild, exotic and primal based on its local and everything. I think it would appeal to the larger movie-going audience as its fascinating. It would be awesomely impressive to see T'challa traversing the Astral Plane and talking to the Panther God while on that place as TPG endows him with power. There should be a whole movie devoted to BP to define for everyone who he is and what Wakanda is all about as we get wonderful visuals of that mythical country. They can make Wakanda as splendiferous as they please.  Picture this massively advanced technological wonder of a nation out there centered in the wild jungles of Africa otherwise untouched and tell me that doesn't sound like a wonderful sight. The special effects in a movie like this can be breathtaking.

After an introduction like this, then plop him onto the cast of an Avengers movie, otherwise we will not be able to get all the dimensions of the character.

That approach could work. If Marvel puts a lot of money in advertising for the movie. If. Do I trust Marvel to do that out of the goodness of their hearts? Hell no, honestly.

However. Do I trust Joss Whedon? Yes. Do I know that the chances of TChalla having a solo SERIES of movies THAT ARE MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN BLADE'S ARE will be MUCH higher if TChalla has a strong intro within THE AVENGERS series as a serious badass...AND THEN gets the treatment you spoke of in your post during his own solo movie? ABSOLUTELY.

Do I think Joss and Marvel will do any such thing with TChalla in THE AVENGERS?

No.

There ya go.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: