Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 419429 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 02:15:37 pm »
I could so do without that horrible mohawk.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 02:47:55 pm »
Or, Marvel could just write Storm and Black Panther like professionals instead of acting like racist cock-blocking nincompoops when it comes to showing a regal black man and a regal black woman in love with each other.

I will forever call Marvel (and DC) out for their racist bullsh*t, and I'll keep doing it right in their faces, too, as I've been doing.
Cosign this.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:44 am »
Anyway interested in hearing g what the first arc is going to be about...

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 08:49:05 am »
Anyway interested in hearing g what the first arc is going to be about...

This is all I've been able to find about the first story arc of the "Storm" ongoing:

Nrama: And who and what is she up against in the first arc of your new Storm series?

Pak: In a seemingly idyllic corner of the Caribbean, Storm takes on massive natural threats and uncovers even more deadly man-made dangers -- while dealing with a shocking challenge in the heart of the school in Westchester.

We're making a big statement about our hero and her world and setting up some pretty huge things with this first issue and I strongly encourage you to pre-order today with your local shop!

The synopsis of the first issue published this month in Marvel's July previews has been "classified".
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 08:49:54 am »
I could so do without that horrible mohawk.

I agree with this. She's much more attractive with a full head of hair.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 03:18:09 pm »
C2E2 2014: Greg Pak talks STORM

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »
Or, Marvel could just write Storm and Black Panther like professionals instead of acting like racist cock-blocking nincompoops when it comes to showing a regal black man and a regal black woman in love with each other.

All of this. If they're not going to be lovers, why couldn't they have at least stayed friends?

And LOLing at rabid Storm fans coming to this place thinking that HEF would give even 1/64ths of a single f*ck about anything Storm-related. Not because of the dissolving of the marriage, but because of everything after. You couldn't pay me to read this sh*t. Anybody supporting this crap has even LESS pride than Black Panther fans who are still throwing money at Marvel.

I'm proud to say that Marvel has not gotten a dime of my money in years, and they sure as hell won't be getting it now. I'll read Klaws of the Panther before I ever read a Storm mini.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:04:01 pm by Maxine Shaw »
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 04:44:34 pm »
All this and the book isn't even out.  It will be interesting to return to this topic after a year.   The book might be cancelled by then it could be the best selling comic of all time and Reggie hailing it as the best book he had read  in years.

That said it will be more likely cancelled within two years,  and I am being generous.

The lead character is a minority character, a female character and her power set is not focused on the physical.   (Very few characters make it in the solo market who are not known for strength,  agility, martial arts,  etc.  Fans like smashing,  kicking and punching.   Yes,  Storm is a good martial artist,  but she is not known for that. )

So,  I think she had an uphill climb to make it.

The publicity they are putting behind it is a good start.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:02:40 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 05:36:18 pm »
Yeah, but a LOT of books don't make it very far these days, whether they star minority characters or not.

And Greg Pak or Marvel could always show Storm using her hand-to-hand skills MORE than they have ever done in the past. (They had a perfectly good chance to showcase her martial arts/hand-to-hand skills when she visited Black Panther in Hell's Kitchen, but we all know Marvel botched that whole scenario up).

Even if Storm's solo book gets cancelled, Marvel could ALWAYS relaunch it, just like they keep relaunching all their other books (Captain Marvel, for one).

APEXABYSS

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »
Korra vs. Ororo

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »

All of this. If they're not going to be lovers, why couldn't they have at least stayed friends?

And LOLing at rabid Storm fans coming to this place thinking that HEF would give even 1/64ths of a single f*ck about anything Storm-related. Not because of the dissolving of the marriage, but because of everything after. You couldn't pay me to read this sh*t. Anybody supporting this crap has even LESS pride than Black Panther fans who are still throwing money at Marvel.

I'm proud to say that Marvel has not gotten a dime of my money in years, and they sure as hell won't be getting it now. I'll read Klaws of the Panther before I ever read a Storm mini.

The truth you spit is brutally honest and to the point.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 01:19:33 am »
The truth you spit is brutally honest and to the point.

True.

I've owned the trade paperback version of 'Klaws Of The Panther' for over 3 years and can't get through it because it's so contrived. 

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 08:05:01 am »
I don't think Storm is a suitable character for solo stories.

I don't think the general readership is remotely interested in the kind of character work
that would go into making Storm into a suitable character for solo stories.

That said, I hope it does well.

The character has lots of fans who have been clamoring for a series and if the book crashes and burns outright, it will be just that much harder for characters like Kamala Khan, Misty Knight or Vixen to get a solo.

Other than that, I have no stake in Storm's sucess or failure.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 09:40:24 am »

I don't think the general readership is remotely interested in the kind of character work

The character has lots of fans who have been clamoring for a series and if the book crashes and burns outright, it will be just that much harder for characters like Kamala Khan, Misty Knight or Vixen to get a solo.

Ummm, Kamala Khan already has a solo monthly ongoing.

It's called Ms Marvel;D

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 10:09:17 am »

Ummm, Kamala Khan already has a solo monthly ongoing.

It's called Ms Marvel;D

For how long?

Is that book selling?

Marvel would reasonably expect Storm to outperform Ms. Marvel (which may be facing cancellation even as I type this).

If its selling, coo.

I don't know that it is or isn't.