Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 709484 times)

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #390 on: July 08, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   Surround her by a new cast of characters. The only X character that should show up early is her daughter, and that is only because she is family. Have other non X heroes show up and give her new villains.

The last time they tried that the "fans" threw a female dog fit of epic proportions, bad enough they wanna strong arm folks into reading this all hell will break lose again if she is seen as hinting of not being about the woe is me mutant cause

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2014, 09:13:22 am »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   

:D ....maybe near her family.... :D

What family?  ;D

The one that is being created as you type this!  ;)

I was thinking of the family Reggie introduced us to.    Hmmm....thinking about it, since mutants seem to run in families, it seems she should have a mutant cousin or two.

Or maybe (gasp) she could just have cousins who are human.

Not everything in the 616 MU revolves around mutants.

As for Greg Pak rmembering that Ororo actually has human family based in the USA, I somehow doubt that would fit into the overarching X-book narrative that never paints Black people in a favourable light.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:31 am »
100% agreed on new living quarters the X facilities come off as a cross between an orphanage and a cult compound.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »
1) What Pak's goal is with the "Storm" ongoing is to make Storm the Marvel equivalent of DC's Superman.
Decided not to read any further once I have noticed that.

That's the impression I got from some of the interviews. Just like Superman is the icon of DC, I think Pak wants to make Storm the icon of Marvel.

*sigh*

The icon of MARVEL is Spider-Man.

Hilarious!!!  :D    Way to keep everyone firmly grounded Battle
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 09, 2014, 01:58:47 pm »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   

What family?  ;D

I was thinking of the family Reggie introduced us to.    Hmmm....thinking about it, since mutants seem to run in families, it seems she should have a mutant cousin or two.

uh oh....introducing anything Storm-related that smacks of Hudlin's enhancements to her character could spell quick and certain doom for this ongoing.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »

What family?  ;D

uh oh....introducing anything Storm-related that smacks of Hudlin's enhancements to her character could spell quick and certain doom for this ongoing.

Yeah.

X-DWEEBS AFTER READING A GREAT STORM BOOK THAT INCLUDES RH'S BACKSTORY FOR STORM'S FAMILY: "She has a Black family? Dang. That might mean that STORM is ACTUALLY BLACK.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!

hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate!!!"
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »

What family?  ;D

Yeah.

X-DWEEBS AFTER READING A GREAT STORM BOOK THAT INCLUDES RH'S BACKSTORY FOR STORM'S FAMILY: "She has a Black family? Dang. That might mean that STORM is ACTUALLY BLACK.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Yep, something along those lines, possibly followed by: "They went and made Nick Fury black; then, they made the movie version of Alicia Masters black. They made a black Spider-Man. What's next...a black Johnny Stor....ummm..."

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »

They could just follow the same formula for X-acceptance that they've used with Storm. Just don't have her family talk to/interact with any other black people unless it's to attack them.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »

What family?  ;D

Yeah.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Yep, something along those lines, possibly followed by: "They went and made Nick Fury black; then, they made the movie version of Alicia Masters black. They made a black Spider-Man. What's next...a black Johnny Stor....ummm..."

Well, that Black Johnny Storm is faintly possible because Sue Storm is Latina and the original Johnny Storm is now Captain America sooooo...

...but WAIT. Why not just introduce TChalla in the F4 as Stan Lee did, then swing him over to The Avengers via The X-Men? GRRREEEAAAT trio of launch pads for his own solo movie franchise, plus it adds much needed diversity to the first two franchises without straying too far from the comics premise. But naaahhh...that's too good of an idea.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2014, 06:49:23 pm »

...but WAIT. Why not just introduce TChalla in the F4 as Stan Lee did, then swing him over to The Avengers via The X-Men? GRRREEEAAAT trio of launch pads for his own solo movie franchise, plus it adds much needed diversity to the first two franchises without straying too far from the comics premise. But naaahhh...that's too good of an idea.

Sadly those three properties are owned by three separate studios so crossovers won't happen until Marvel reclaims all the rights. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2014, 08:11:19 pm »

...but WAIT. Why not just introduce TChalla in the F4 as Stan Lee did, then swing him over to The Avengers...

This part is brilliant.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2014, 09:50:55 am »

Sadly those three properties are owned by three separate studios so crossovers won't happen until Marvel reclaims all the rights.

I thought Marvel already reacquired the F4 rights and still has The Avengers rights...am I trippin? If so, my bad on that.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2014, 04:40:30 pm »
I love this part of one of the Pak interviews:

And I’m sure I would kick myself and my readers would kick me if I didn’t ask a quick thing about Storm.
Which is, maybe not for the entire Marvel Universe yet, but, at least among the X-Men, Storm is kind of their Superman. She’s this leader figure who doesn’t have the baggage of Cyclops or Wolverine. She’s immensely powerful and kind. What do you think are the differences of switching from this kind of metaphorical sun god to this very literal weather goddess and do you think that Storm has any of the issues that Superman has had with being kind of pinned down into these roles?

That’s a great question and I have thought about this. I mean, Storm and Superman are similar also in that, y’know, Storm is the daughter of an American journalist and an African princess, so she’s also bicultural, y’know, she’s got her foot in multiple worlds. She’s also someone who grew up without- I mean, her- she lost her parents at a very young age. And, yeah, as you say, she’s incredibly powerful. She has an instinctive and ingrained sympathy for the underdog, which comes out of her- her own experiences, I think and is also…well, and this is also true about just about every superhero, somebody who struggles to figure out how to use these ridiculous powers in the right way without hurting people. So, those are all things she has in common with Superman.
I think there’s- there’s some interesting contrast which is a lot of fun writing both these characters. I think Storm is probably, just by nature, a little more dangerous than Superman. She probably cares less about hurting the feelings of jerks, y’know what I’m saying? Like, Superman is- I mean here’s something I’ve thought about a lot: Superman is invulnerable. Essentially, I mean there’s certain things that can hurt him, but just walking down the street he has zero fear of anybody he’s going to encounter. So, he could literally turn the other cheek to everybody he meets and never hurt. And if he didn’t do that, he’d be a massive jerk. Y’know what I’m saying? It’s like if you are literally invulnerable, what kind of monster are you not to turn the other cheek at every opportunity?
Storm is, for all her power, she’s flesh and blood. Like if she’s shot with a gun she will die. I think her reactions on that level are- I think she’s more like…us, the average person, in that kind of a way. There’s a certain amount of natural self-preservation that factors into her existence. I also think that, as a person walking through life, she’s somebody who’s encountered more wretchedness than Superman has.
Superman lost his parents at a very young age, but then immediately he had the best adoptive parents you can imagine. I mean, the Kents were amazing. And they have this child who was incredibly powerful and frankly dangerous and they loved him and taught him to be a good person and believed in him and gave him this incredible support and, Storm was out- when her parents were killed she was out on the street. I mean, living as a runaway, as a homeless child street thief. And eventually she hooked up with, with a ‘tutor’ who taught her how to be a better thief and all of that but she was- But she was still-

Still a very different experience-

Yeah, exactly, and then eventually, when she sort of came of age and found her powers as a very young woman, she went out into the desert and pretended to be a goddess! Like that- there’s something about this crazy life she lived that, I mean, that’s frankly unhinged, y’know what I mean? Like that’s- that’s not what a normal person who has a strong support network and family does.

So, I think Storm has had to deal with a lot more trauma. And has just another kind of level of- I think she’s- I mean, Superman is very smart and he’s not the Boy Scout that- he’s not the stereotype of the Boy Scout, but he is a little more innocent in his heart than Storm is. I mean, Storm has this incredible capacity for empathy, but she also, I think, has a fierceness in her that’s born out of this… this life of hardship that can be dangerous in a very interesting way, so I’m having a blast writing her and I love- I love her, y’know what I mean? I love those nuances and that conflict. Y’know, that desire to help while also that while also dealing with that fierceness inside is just a great- It’s a great thing to be able to write. So, I’m having fun.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:26 pm »
The longer this debate goes on, the more certain I am that it was probably a mistake to give Storm a solo series in the first place.

Batman's parents were killed by criminals, so Batman goes after crime and criminals.

Captain America was created to fight the Nazis, so that is why he goes after enemies of freedom.

Green Lantern got his alien space cop ring from an alien space cop so's he could take his place as an alien space cop.

But Storm was living on a moutaintop in Kenya when some bald dude (how did the Professor get his wheelchair up there anyway?) asked her to join his strike force and she actually joined him instead of laughing his face like a reasonable person would have done.

Ororo Munroe wasn't born fully-grown, complete with powers over which she had supreme command, and content to live on a mountaintop in Kenya. What about the plane crash into her family's apartment which killed her parents leaving Ororo orphaned, homeless, and claustrophobic? At least Batman/Bruce Wayne had Alfred and his murdered parent's billions. Ororo had nothing but a master thief to steward her through a traumatic childhood into her teenage years and a hard road to hoe. Talk about Hard Knock Life.

As a child, she had to resort to thievery to survive.  As a teenager, Ororo was attacked by a pervert and nearly raped. She had to kill the beast in the defense of her virtue...and her life. Was Batman, Captain America, or Hal Jordan ever in a snap kill or be killed situation where they actually had to take the life of another living being through an intimate and deadly act of violence? Compared to what Ororo has faced up to this point, Bruce Wayne, Steve Rogers, and Hal Jordan come off as wimps, as wusses. Alfred was brewing tea and drawing baths for Batman. Ororo was a homeless teenager who had to stab a scumbag to death to ensure she'd mature into womanhood...and to make her way to that mountaintop in Kenya to wait on that bald dude.

Before she'd make it to that mountaintop, she'd meet an African Prince whom she had to rescue from assailants. A romance would develop, but because the young Prince was duty-bound to become King of his fabulous homeland and avenge his father's murder, the romance would be brief and Ororo would be alone once more, discovering her powers and in using them to alleviate the suffering of her fellow humans, she would become misunderstood and worshipped as a goddess. How did Xavier get his wheelchair up that mountain, you ask. How did Ororo educate herself. There's the truly remarkable feat. Prof X probably got his chair up that mountain the old-fashioned way. He thunk his way up that-there mountain and there he was, up that-there mountain.

Without a premise for adventure baked into the character's backstory the writer will be forced to resort to write Storm stories as solo Xmen ("Storm has to fight Mr. Sinister! Without the Xmen!! BY HERSELF!!!") or the Storm goes back to Africa("Storm returns to Africa to bring a vicious Warlord to justice!" stuff that so many resent.

Ororo has an amazing backstory. It's simply been overshadowed by the goofy, gawd-awful goo her adoring fans lovingly refer to as being an X-Man. This ongoing could be Storm's one chance to distance herself from those other nasty mutants....but I for one, wouldn't bet the farm on it; that is if I owned a farm. Prof X lied to Ororo, to Peter Rasputin, probably to weasel man (he didn't have to lie to Kurt Wagner as Nightcrawler was running for his life and probably grateful to Prof X for pulling his butt out of the fire), to get them to be his "New X-Men". Prof X used the worst sort of headgame on John Proudstar to coerce him into joining his new team. He wanted to use them to rescue his original X-Men from peril.

O.K I guess there's the third option of making her Captain Planet with boobs where she flies around the world beating up polluters ("Roxxon/British Petrolium! face the wrath of Storm!").

At least option 1 involves stories that the Xfandom might care about. The others don't even offer that.

I can't be mad at Pak. What the hell can he or anybody else do with Storm given the character's limitations?

And now we have people swearing up and down that she is too powerful to be doing any of that stuff.

Which doesn't make her any more interesting, by the way.

At least if Storm was depowered her solo book could be a Modesty Blaise ripoff that would work as a companion piece with Marvel's other Modesty Blaise ripoff book, Black Widow.

And since that Black Widow book is actually REALLY GOOD (reformed amoral spy now uses her amoral spy tactics to do good deeds-see how actually having a premise works?) being in the same class could only help.

In the book's defense, Storm does have a name writer and a great artist that I've never heard of.

Maybe that will be enough.
My prediction is that this "Pak" will set Storm on a course which she would have traversed with her ex-husband T'Challa as Queen of Wakanda had Hudlin been allowed to work without being accosted by the LCBRD lunatic fringe. That bunch might have wanted Storm to be a significant mutant, but not the most important mutant in the world by virtue of being Queen of a mighty nation of negroes. Storm can be an important mutant...just not the most important mutant. She'd be intruding on weasel man's turf if that were the case. So my guess is that Storm - needing help to topple corrupt governments, combat natural disasters; etc... - will need help from mutants she already knows and will probably meet (and flirt with), a flatscan male of Asian or Caucasian extraction.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »
In the original telling of the Ororo/T'challa meeting, T'challa wanted Storm to stay with him as he was still enjoying her company. She left because the "Song of the Wind" had once more spoken to her telling her it was time to move on. He offered to kiss her before she left, and she responded with, "If that's your way." He was amazed that she would treat a prince's kiss so casually. IIRC, she said something to the effect of, "One day. If not, I shall be the poorer for it. Farewell, young prince," and she flies off from the tree branch they were sitting on.

That said, Pak is going to create some new characters for Storm to fill in her supporting cast. Of course, we will also see some of her friends show up from time to time. In the first issue of the ongoing, Pak will introduce a new character, Creep, that he hopes we as readers will get a kick out of. He also expressed interest in using this character again in future story arcs for the book. He assures us all that this is not going to be just another X-Men team book and that it is Storm's solo title.

All that said, Storm wouldn't need the help of other mutants to stop natural disasters or topple corrupt governments. Just take a look at Storm #1 where she stops that tsunami by herself. With her powers, being what they are and the extreme levels they are at, the natural disaster part won't be an issue for her. To topple corrupt governments, she'd probably get in with the opposing resistance faction in that country who will likely have moles in the government and that could be her supporting cast for that story arc. It can go any number of ways. One of the things that has me really excited is Storm being pitted against "gods" in her title. She's gonna cut up like something else!

I LOVE what Storm says about the Avengers in an upcoming X-Men book from these preview pages:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:17:12 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)