Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 527143 times)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #855 on: August 05, 2014, 05:54:29 pm »
Just bought it and read it several times...one of the best Storm stories in quite some time....if given proper marketing/pr/advertising this series could be a hit.  The writing and art are spot on and inspired....long time since an X title actually seemed relevant and just in line with the best X movie to come out...Days of Future Past....excited about the next issue.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #856 on: August 06, 2014, 11:53:47 am »
Just bought it and read it several times...one of the best Storm stories in quite some time....if given proper marketing/pr/advertising this series could be a hit.  The writing and art are spot on and inspired....long time since an X title actually seemed relevant and just in line with the best X movie to come out...Days of Future Past....excited about the next issue.

Yessir. Except for the fact that I stopped watching even the X-MEN movies long ago, I'm with you.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 07, 2014, 01:45:18 pm »

Agree with everything you say here.

To all,

You know how there  were complaints on this thread about the lack of people of color on the X-Men team? I forgot to mention in the current X-Men book, the roster is Storm (Black), Monet (Black), Rachel (White), Jubilee (Chinese) and Psylocke (Japanese). That's more diverse than the Avengers or Fantastic Four.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 07, 2014, 03:35:07 pm »
I bought it yesterday, hadn't read the reviews and wasn't expecting much. Flipped through it in the store, saw Storm in what appeared to be Africa, surrounded by natives, in some conflict with soldiers. *YAWN*

Then I read it and was blown away, it was a GREAT issue! This was the Storm I fell in love with. Regal but flawed, tough and determined, beautiful and competent, it was nice to see her again.

What really did it for me was the depth of the art and the perfectly depicted facial expressions, brimming with emotion.

This was a book you could give to a woman that had never read a comic book and after reading it, she would get the appeal and possibly become a fan. No gimmicky sex change, costume change, covering up or controversial announcement on the View necessary.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 07, 2014, 04:40:47 pm »

To all,

You know how there  were complaints on this thread about the lack of people of color on the X-Men team? I forgot to mention in the current X-Men book, the roster is Storm (Black), Monet (Black), Rachel (White), Jubilee (Chinese) and Psylocke (Japanese). That's more diverse than the Avengers or Fantastic Four.

Thats actually not true with the Avengers.  Especially in regards to men of color...the Avengers has Falcon, Sunspot, and Captain Universe and Manifold...all black.  Shang-chi...who culturally is far more asian than the westernized Jubilee and the artificially Japanese Psylocke. 

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 07, 2014, 06:03:21 pm »

To all,

Thats actually not true with the Avengers.  Especially in regards to men of color...the Avengers has Falcon, Sunspot, and Captain Universe and Manifold...all black.  Shang-chi...who culturally is far more asian than the westernized Jubilee and the artificially Japanese Psylocke.

Hmmm, I did not know this. All I can say is we are seeing progress in Marvel in showing people of color on their rosters. In X-Men, 80% of the team is non-White and now you tell me this. Also, Sunspot is not Black. He's South American, IIRC.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 07, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

To all,

Hmmm, I did not know this. All I can say is we are seeing progress in Marvel in showing people of color on their rosters. In X-Men, 80% of the team is non-White and now you tell me this. Also, Sunspot is not Black. He's South American, IIRC.

Brazilians are still black if they are afro brazilian...black people dont just reside in america.  Sunspot seen anywhere would be seen as black...though I do know his mother is white (he's biracial) but still would be considered by most people black.  Matter of fact...he was beaten up for being black in his first appearance in new mutants.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 08, 2014, 05:47:09 am »
This was a book you could give to a woman that had never read a comic book and after reading it, she would get the appeal and possibly become a fan.

What kind of stupid f*cking st...oh. It's TripleX. Never mind!
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:11 am »
This was a book you could give to a woman that had never read a comic book and after reading it, she would get the appeal and possibly become a fan.

I must have missed your delicately phrased review of STORM #1, then, Max. Did you read the book?

By the above comment, I might surmise that you have read the book, and are not a fan.

What issues did you have with the book...assuming that you read it?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 08, 2014, 04:43:54 pm »

To all,

One thing I wanted to point out here is whether or not Jubilee is culturally Chinese is irrelevant. She is not a White character. She is Chinese-American just like most Blacks in this country are African-American. Most of us on this site who are Black are not culturally African just like Jubilee is not culturally Chinese. We are still ethnically Black, though and Jubilee is ethnically Chinese. Betsy is ethnically Japanese regardless to the arguments you put forth. The point I am trying to make is there is a huge difference between this team lineup now and say the original 5 when the book debuted in 1963. The team is much more ethnically diverse.

Pretty nifty! ;)

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 08, 2014, 04:58:47 pm »

To all,

One thing I wanted to point out here is whether or not Jubilee is culturally Chinese is irrelevant. She is not a White character. She is Chinese-American just like most Blacks in this country are African-American. Most of us on this site who are Black are not culturally African just like Jubilee is not culturally Chinese. We are still ethnically Black, though and Jubilee is ethnically Chinese. Betsy is ethnically Japanese regardless to the arguments you put forth. The point I am trying to make is there is a huge difference between this team lineup now and say the original 5 when the book debuted in 1963. The team is much more ethnically diverse.

No question that hte book is vastly more racially diverse than at any other previous time. Even if the argument is made that the characters of color are "oreos" or the equivalent...the fact remains that not even [ another color on the outside-White on the inside ] characters were previously acceptable to the LCBRD and couldn't be a money making venture. Rutog is right about that. Hands down.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2014, 05:34:59 pm »

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 09, 2014, 05:09:48 am »
I must have missed your delicately phrased review of STORM #1, then, Max. Did you read the book?

You couldn't pay me to read this sh*t. I was just commenting on the stupidity that women in 2014 still need to be hand held and coaxed into reading comic books. (Guess what? We also play video games and watch sports!)
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:58 am »
You couldn't pay me to read this sh*t. I was just commenting on the stupidity that women in 2014 still need to be hand held and coaxed into reading comic books. (Guess what? We also play video games and watch sports!)

It does seem a little....paternalistic. With what is misconception over what women have already been doing in increasing numbers, for decades. Especially with video games.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 09, 2014, 08:15:05 am »

To all,

Rutog, why do you talk as if youre the only person thats ever read xmen?    OF COURSE the team is more racially diverse than when it debuted.  NO TEAM was diverse back then.  However the team was at its most diverse when the new x men debuted with Storm, Sunfire, and Thunderbird.  The team was also diverse when Bishop was around along with Storm and the artificially asian-made Psylocke. (Who was originally a white woman) Im not sure why you seem to be making a big deal out of the all women xmen book having a couple of minorities when they've always had women, at least, of nearly every creed and color.  The posters on here have been speaking of the treatment specifically of minority males...especially black males.  And though I dont always agree with many on here...its kind of misleading for you to bring this up like its such a big deal when it does not address what they have been specifically speaking about.

As far as Jubilee and Psylocke...just say culture is irrelevant to you.  You really dont know how many black americans study or practice african culture (I think some even on here do) and also many black americans have roots in african american culture which is vastly different from white culture.  Jubilee is cool, but even the Mandarin when he met her spoke on how vastly westernized she was for "a daughter of the middle kingdom" ...which ironically was the same story Psylocke was made into an asian ninja woman from a white British princess.  Subtext does count for some things.

Unfortunately, one currently really does have to look at books like the Avengers and New Avengers for strong minority male, and especially black, representation.  As far as that goes, the Avengers books are beating xmen.