Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 454861 times)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:09 am »
I think there was potential for a huge success with the Ororo/T'challa marriage. Truth be told, many of the Storm fans who raged against the marriage had expressed interest in a possible relationship between the two characters long before it came to fruition. This happened on some of those threads where fans discussed "Who should Storm date"? As I've stated a million times, I will always maintain that the seeds were sown for the downfall of the marriage at the very beginning of the project where Storm's character took all the hits seemingly to prop up T'challa. While many Storm fans did not like the whole rushed feel of it, they were willing to give it a chance. Too many mistakes were made with her characterization early on, so they booked off early in the project for reasons I have explained at great lengths. There was a window of opportunity to recapture that potential readership when Maberry came on board, hence sales of the title spiked up his first issue. Problem is, the book could not hold those extra readers because the title made Shuri the central character who doesn't have a fan base at all. It was a total misfire. Shortly afterwards, the book was cancelled.

The marriage became wildly unpopular among readers and stayed that way for an extended period of time despite their efforts to try and save the book. That is why they brought on Maberry, they thought maybe a different writer's angle could draw in new readership. It did not work, and that is why Marvel killed it. Simple. While a small faction of those objections from readers did come from a dark, racist place, most of it was not racism, to be honest. Storm has a huge potential for success. She could, if handled well, stand toe-to-toe with the likes of Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman as being a flagship character. In many ways, she is a flagship character for Marvel, but one that they have not used properly. She is known and recognized the world over. Her marriage to Black Panther became a stone around her neck. It held her back because of its lack of support and was very unpopular with fans. I think the marriage had a lot of potential to really make her character soar while at the same time elevating BP up to the level of recognition to rival that of Captain America and Iron Man, but too many mistakes were made too early in the project that alienated too many fans. While the book did improve with its characterization of Storm, it came too late as it had already lost the readership.

One more thing, Storm not being with Black Panther and getting it on with Wolverine has nothing to do with Marvel wanting her to be with "anyone but Black". That sounds like disgruntled people sour over the way the marriage turned out. I had no idea about Storm/Cyclops until I saw that cover on this board posted a few days ago by Genki. That pairing made no sense whatsoever. Those two characters never had that kind of chemistry by any stretch of the imagination. Sounds like the writers just didn't know what to do with the character and were making really bad decisions. That said, as I've stated earlier, a Storm/Wolverine pairing does make sense. They have been close for decades and there was always a potential for an intimate relationship there that I hoped would never be realized simply because, as I've stated, I don't want Storm to be a man's number 2 pick. In a pairing of these two, she will always be Wolverine's second choice to Jean Grey.

Regarding Storm/BP post marriage. I have read on this board that Storm has made some comments about BP after they separated that were less than...flattery (to put it lightly). While I don't know exactly what she said, I do know it would be a normal reaction for somebody to cut down the person whom they just got out of a marriage with especially with the way BP annulled their marriage. That said, the reason Storm is sporting that ugly mohawk is because she is hurting emotionally from the break up of the marriage. I read that in an interview a couple of months ago. That's partially why I am able to write off Storm/Wolverine as a bad rebound thing.

Trying to put Storm and BP back together right now will only hold Storm back with the readership. There isn't much of a demand for that at all and the overwhelming majority of the people who would support her book would be totally against the idea. While I think it would be wonderful for the two characters to have a strong friendship, its something that should be explored later. To give Storm's title all the advantages it can have to be successful, I think BP (and Cyclops) should stay away from her book for the first year/12 issues.  (And, no, this last comment was not a pitch to get anyone to try and buy her title, but just speaking honestly what would be in the best interest of the character for her to have a change at getting all the success she can potentially have.)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:43:20 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:17 am »
One last thing...

While Storm has been in a slump for years over at Marvel, it looks like things are finally looking up for her. Not only is she getting her own solo title, but the new X-title that's come out, "Amazing X-Men" has a very small cast of X-Men when Storm being one of them. Yost is about to take over the writing duties of that book. Its something to get excited about. She's also being primed to take over Wolverine's central role in the title "Wolverine and the X-Men". That writer recently did an interview talking about exploring Storm's powers stating that she only uses a small fraction of what she can really do...or something to that effect. It was only a matter of time before she would be put back front and center in the X-titles again. She's too big a character to be sidelined for too long. It was only a matter of time before a writer who really likes the character came along and got control of one of the books she's featured in.

I'm stoked about this as should any Storm fan be.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »
Wait... wait...  wait...   :)

Watch this character rutog98 throw up another 'wall of text'  in response !

Watch!   ;)

You, sir, are correct.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2014, 12:46:41 pm »
Wait... wait...  wait...   :)

Watch!   ;)

You, sir, are correct.

Yeah, so? What do I care? I am not here to appease that guy. I speak my mind and call things as I see 'em. Many of the people who are reading this thread do agree with me, though, they may not voice it much. Even some of my opposition agree with me on at least some of my points.

With that, I've said my peace. I think everything that's needed to have been said on the matter has been stated. What A. Curry said to me a couple of pages ago was completely right. I'm a Storm fan and I like the plans they have laid out for her starting in the immediate future. I think there is plenty of support out there for the character as well. The Storm fans on the internet are more excited about what's going on with the character than I have ever seen. Hopefully, this is only a microcosm of the buzz going on outside the internet among her fans. I stand very hopeful that things will go well and that I will enjoy reading Storm-centric stories like I have not in a long, long time...if ever.  My hope in coming here with the news was to share that joy with a board I had grown to like during the BP comic days thinking people here would share in those feelings with me. Instead, I found a lot of hate for the character. I tried to alleviate those harsh feelings with a dose of reality coupled with honest logic/reasoning and reflection on what the real factors were that brought the Storm/T'challa situation to where it is today. She's suffered from bad writing for a while now, but her character is finally being pulled out of that slump. This is all very encouraging.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:53:31 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
I love how people who don't care, care enough to tell you they don't care.  :o
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

APEXABYSS

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2014, 01:55:55 pm »
If you're so easily offended, then you should not have thrown a punch at me first.

The f*ck are you talking about? Since when is "nah, I'll pass" a punch?

If you disagree with my position, you could have and should have responded to it in a civil manner.

You're taking it up the ass for Marvel and getting nothing in return but pubic burn on your chin. I'm merely pointing that out. Don't like it, stop doing it.

There's no point in trying to discuss anything with you.

Nobody cares about what you're prattling about, and as long as you keep prattling, you're going to keep getting cock slapped. And you're right. You and I have nothing to discuss - for any reason - as long as you're here at HEF. I don't converse with corporate whores.

*adds Rutog98 to the (n)ignore list*

that was fun to read...

APEXABYSS

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
okay, on a serious note...

in regards to the new storm series...
the email I received today stated- I needed an attorney for any conceptual ideas. no I don't. they make you sign an (all rights reserved) agreement just in case of plagiarism. I already signed it. next

Iíve petitioned & requested the themes & concepts be debated. yes, it's a challenge. 

I donít care what writer they bring in. they need to do a comparative study.

I said it was a thousand times better. I meant it.

There is only one solution.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:28:33 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2014, 05:27:54 pm »

If they hadn't been insulted first maybe some would care

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »

If they hadn't been insulted first maybe some would care

I was insulted first when I did nothing but being friendly and showing enthusiasm for some great Storm news. I'm not going to jump on the Storm-hating bandwagon, uh-uh, no way.  I'm not going to show respect if I don't get it in return. Fact is, I'm still going to be able to read a "Storm" ongoing while reading another X-title featuring Storm on the roster authored by Yost, AND am still looking forward to the possibility of Storm's powers being explored in Wolverine and the X-Men as she likely moves to the central role in that book once Wolverine kicks the bucket. While I was hoping people on here would show some positive enthusiasm for these developments broadly, they did not. Oh, well. Not going to stop my enjoyment of these titles and I think I've made enough noise about the whole ordeal that people will at least flip through the book in the store if not buy at least the first or first couple of issues. If people here never buy a single issue, cool. If they buy the book, even better. No matter, I'm going to enjoy the stories regardless.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:46:32 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »

All this idiot wants is attention. She's not in this to make any points, but for distance and irritation. Let this thread sink to the bottom of the forum where it belongs.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

APEXABYSS

« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2014, 11:53:49 pm »
still up wrapping gifts... how do you wrap a skateboard?

devil's advocate... i joined this forum to learn more about storm & BP. i was gonna publish an unauthorized version of ororo & t'challa. instead, i decided to become a student of the characters/ storyline & history. my focus is not so-much on the past... only the future of the beloved black superheroes. the wakandan legacy is truly legitimate. that's why it means so much to all of us.

anyway, i say all this to say, i plan to remain in a student position & learn. my grievances & fan-insight stretch beyond blogs or forums. i have taken my artistic creativity to convey my own message about our heroes. my artwork of storm & BP is just an extension of my position & opinion. the art is no different than any written post made on this site. in fact, it's exactly the same thing, only in a different format.

before i dive deep into written declarations about the characters, i need to be clear that my thought process has been intentionally developed to think 'outside' the box. making an unauthorized story was my way of blogging. for now, i've haulted on the project to study. i'd rather pay respects for what already has been done before i blindly move forward. i'm not here to sell or promote anything... only to network, be advised & promote alternative ideas for the legacy.

still a newbie... 

OMG YOU ARE DOPE, SON!!

December 24, 2012,

see, same mission, same attitude!

Iím sure BP is ready for a solo series as well.

Okay, so I did speak with my attorney. Legally, they donít have to accept any ďopen-debateĒ.  Uh, yeh, tell me something I didnít know. However, he did say, Iíd be better-off petitioning for an ďopen competitionď, since companies host special promotional events & ďpublic competitions,Ē all the time. Enough with the petitioning. Enough with the debating. No, wait, the debate is still on. Itís just an all-out competition, now! Anybody, I said , anybody with a great Storm/BP concept. Bring it.

Greg & Victor, geez, I dig you guys so much. Of course, I want to see them win. For Storm. But from what little Iíve seen & read so far. same ol same. Slight improvements instead of real change. What I am talking about is a total change & a complete reboot.

Thatís not hatin! Itís chastising a fan-boy agenda. ďLogan TrimĒ

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2014, 08:17:26 am »
Here are some awesome quotes from Pak in the CBR interview:

"She's the most powerful woman in the Marvel Universe -- incredibly exciting and elemental -- even dangerous."

"Storm's one of the most important of all the X-Men -- ostensibly the most powerful..."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52542

No writer has said it like this about Storm point blank!  I can't wait to read Pak's book. We are going to see some great character moments in the title as well as her wielding ENORMOUS power levels. I just get more and more excited the more I read and learn about the upcoming title. For those of you on this board who are looking forward to the book, I think we have a treat coming our way. In some ways, Pak may be an even better pick than Claremont for the book. I'll have to read the series to know for sure.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:18:57 am by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:55 am »
Honestly I wouldn't have picked Clarmont period l'm also not a fan of OVERPOWERED heroes (one reason I don't love Superman comics). So we'll see. I'm moderately optimistic.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:46 am »
Honestly I wouldn't have picked Clarmont period l'm also not a fan of OVERPOWERED heroes (one reason I don't love Superman comics). So we'll see. I'm moderately optimistic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Storm being written that powerfully at all. Just make sure the villains are powerful enough to pose a realistic threat to her. Would you agree with that?

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2014, 09:59:47 am »
I want her power to be epic...but I want some nuance as well. We'll see he's saying all the right things thus far.