Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 677328 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »
Quote from: Rutog98

I don't ever recall doing a Storm vs. Doomsday debate. LOL! I don't read DC. Storm is definitely more powerful than Magneto. He needs a machine to boost his power just to turn off the lights around the world. In "Magneto War", Magneto created a machine to boost his powers to do just this feat. When the machine was destroyed and he was forced to control all of that energy on his own, he nearly lost his life and was lucky to walk away from the incident with just his mutant powers being permanently burned out from the ordeal. If you try and bring up "Fatal Attractions" where Magneto caused a world wide blackout before this instance in "Magneto War", the only reason he was able to do that there was because Forge's machine was used to skewer the EM field to such a degree that if Magneto had come within the Earth's atmosphere and attempted to use his powers, the fields would have fedback on him instantly killing him. He blasted the skewered geomagnetic field from space while it was warped to this extreme which resulted in the global EMP. Canon has shown that he doesn't have this kind of power under the merits of his own power. He needs technology to do feats that are far below what Storm can do naturally without anything hiking up her powers. Magneto lost credibility years ago. Its become common practice at Marvel that whenever a character more powerful than he faces him in combat, said character's powers levels are adjusted downward to make him a big bad. There are examples of this with other characters besides Storm.

That said, the average hurricane is about 500 miles across and they generate enough power to power supply the entire planet. Storm has controlled hemisphere-sized hurricanes before and continent-sized blizzards.So, she has controlled more energy than it would take to power supply the world exponentially. On another occassion, she created a gamma-powered weather shield around the whole Earth to deflect a planet-destroying blast from the sun. She redirected the full power of Sienna Blaze who's powers were strong enough to split the planet like a ripe melon. All of this, and I still haven't said it all. So, yeah, Storm is MUCH more powerful than Magneto. I don't know why you would bring that up against me when you know I can debunk it. Even Magneto himself has stated that Storm has the power to beat him, but she holds back.

Regarding TPG, what I said was Storm and TPG were Wakanda's two most powerful protectors back when she and T'challa were married.

That said, Storm should be VERY powerful and pitted against villains strong enough to challenge that power. A hero is only overpowered when the opposition is too weak to challenge them. Well, it depends on how you look at it. I don't see Storm as being overpowered as much as I see her being pitted against characters that have no business challenging her. The MU has villains of varying power levels ranging from characters to fight with the likes of Spiderman and Luke Cage all the way up to sparring partners for the likes of Silver Surfer, Thor...and even Galactus, etc. There is definitely a place for a hero as powerful as Storm.

Yeah, you stated that Storm would hurl Doomsday into orbit way back on the AOL boards.

For TPG, you stated that she should not have submitted to judgment regarding the marriage and she should have made that clear to TPG.

You just proved my point.  You won't be happy if he writes her as anything less than an ultimate power.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:23:43 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2014, 05:21:27 pm »
Quote from: Rutog98

I don't ever recall doing a Storm vs. Doomsday debate. LOL! I don't read DC. Storm is definitely more powerful than Magneto. He needs a machine to boost his power just to turn off the lights around the world. In "Magneto War", Magneto created a machine to boost his powers to do just this feat. When the machine was destroyed and he was forced to control all of that energy on his own, he nearly lost his life and was lucky to walk away from the incident with just his mutant powers being permanently burned out from the ordeal. If you try and bring up "Fatal Attractions" where Magneto caused a world wide blackout before this instance in "Magneto War", the only reason he was able to do that there was because Forge's machine was used to skewer the EM field to such a degree that if Magneto had come within the Earth's atmosphere and attempted to use his powers, the fields would have fedback on him instantly killing him. He blasted the skewered geomagnetic field from space while it was warped to this extreme which resulted in the global EMP. Canon has shown that he doesn't have this kind of power under the merits of his own power. He needs technology to do feats that are far below what Storm can do naturally without anything hiking up her powers. Magneto lost credibility years ago. Its become common practice at Marvel that whenever a character more powerful than he faces him in combat, said character's powers levels are adjusted downward to make him a big bad. There are examples of this with other characters besides Storm.

That said, the average hurricane is about 500 miles across and they generate enough power to power supply the entire planet. Storm has controlled hemisphere-sized hurricanes before and continent-sized blizzards.So, she has controlled more energy than it would take to power supply the world exponentially. On another occassion, she created a gamma-powered weather shield around the whole Earth to deflect a planet-destroying blast from the sun. She redirected the full power of Sienna Blaze who's powers were strong enough to split the planet like a ripe melon. All of this, and I still haven't said it all. So, yeah, Storm is MUCH more powerful than Magneto. I don't know why you would bring that up against me when you know I can debunk it. Even Magneto himself has stated that Storm has the power to beat him, but she holds back.

Regarding TPG, what I said was Storm and TPG were Wakanda's two most powerful protectors back when she and T'challa were married.

That said, Storm should be VERY powerful and pitted against villains strong enough to challenge that power. A hero is only overpowered when the opposition is too weak to challenge them. Well, it depends on how you look at it. I don't see Storm as being overpowered as much as I see her being pitted against characters that have no business challenging her. The MU has villains of varying power levels ranging from characters to fight with the likes of Spiderman and Luke Cage all the way up to sparring partners for the likes of Silver Surfer, Thor...and even Galactus, etc. There is definitely a place for a hero as powerful as Storm.

Yeah, you stated that Storm would hurl Doomsday into orbit way back on the AOL boards.

For TPG, you stated that she should not have submitted to judgment regarding the marriage and she should have made that clear to TPG.

You just proved my point.  You won't be happy if he writes her as anything less than an ultimate power.

In regards to the Storm/Doomsday thing, sounds like me. That sounds like an argument I would make proving Storm can beat Doomsday. Hmmm...you've got my creativity thinking on that now. Does Doomsday have x-ray vision? If Storm throws up a blizzard to snowblind him, is he able to locate her her through the snow? She can locate him through the snow in several ways: She can see him with her alternate vision right through the snow and she can feel him moving through the environment. Therefore, if she robs him of his vision, then the fight is automatically a draw if she does nothing else at that point. He just has super strength with a high degree of resistance to injury and the ability to adapt to avoid being killed the same way twice, right? That's a one trick pony power set that isn't a good fight for Storm. In other words, she could snowblind him and then launch him into orbit with her winds while he is unable to locate her. Her winds have been able to lift skyscrapers, strain Magneto's powers to the utmost and, more impressively than that, redirect the full power of Sienna Blaze. Unless Doomsday can fly, he ain't coming back to Earth after being hurled into orbit by Storm, thus Storm wins via battlefield removal.

Magneto simply is not a good fight for Storm, period. In all honesty, Storm should not be pitted against characters with telepathy or elemental powers. Those are some of the weakest abilities one can try and use against Storm short of powersets like Wolverine's and Beast's. This is a lady who can draw energy from the Earth's electrical potential energy to boost her powers. She has channeled the energies of stars and channels large amounts of lightning through her body on many different occasions, thus EM energy attacks should not work directly upon her. On top of it, its canon that she is immune to climate and temperature variations and cannot be directly harmed by the elements (though, she can be hurt by electricity if caught by surprise since her body has to adjust for the energy surge). She can also control EM energies as well as a bunch of things he can't control. With her ability to do things like control air, pressure and heat inside of people's body, how is he going to stop her from controlling the air in his lungs or pressure in his inner ear/stomach/gut/lung/etc or stop her from instantly dropping his internal temperature 200 degrees? What if she decides to instantly remove all the moisture from his body? What is he going to do? She's too powerful and her power set is too versatile for him to overcome much less compete with.

That said, she can be beaten. If she were pitted against someone like Dr. Strange, he could take advantage of a huge weakness she has against magic. If he connects with a mystical attack before she can take him out of the fight, she's done for. A character like Jamie Braddock would also be a good pick for somebody who could wallop Storm.  In my own imagination, I have created several characters that would makle good antagonists for her in battle.

All I'm saying is don't pit Storm against weaklings like Mystique, Pyro, Blob and Avalanch or against characters with powersets like Magneto and Emma Frost (she and Storm used to be bitter enemies) when they have powersets that are next to useless against her and she's gotta be scaled down in order for them to win. (In Emma's case, she only beat Storm their first encounter. After that, Storm's willpower and TP defenses grew to the point where she clobbered Emma twice in battle since then.)

In other words, Storm is enormously powerful. Keep her that way and pit her against villains who can challenge the power she wields or flat out beat it (Jamie Braddock's powerset beats Storm's, so if she ever had to go up against someone like that, she'd have to be sneaky in order to take them out as she would lose in open combat if she challenged them in open battle without anything distracting them from the fight.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:20:17 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2014, 06:01:31 pm »
I agree that Storm is immensely powerful but she is counterbalanced by being physically human.   Unlike most powerhouses in those upper levels like Thor,  Hyperion, Iron Man, she doesn't have heighten physical abilities.   Even Magneto can use his powers to increase his physical abilities so He could go toe to toe with Colossus in a fist fight.  Green Lantern is constantly shielded.   Yes she can shield herself better than the Scarlett Witch Who apparently now In Storm 's class but it isn't equal to Thor 's body.

It is one of the things that keep her interesting.   

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2014, 12:27:11 am »
Here is a link to the Amazing X-Men Annual coming out June 4:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/5/6/22465/tuesday_qa_monty_nero

Its a Storm-centric story and it looks very promising. It is written by Monty Nero and drawn by Salvador Larroca.

I can't wait! :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:22:27 am by Rutog98 »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »
I agree that Storm is immensely powerful but she is counterbalanced by being physically human.   Unlike most powerhouses in those upper levels like Thor,  Hyperion, Iron Man, she doesn't have heighten physical abilities.   Even Magneto can use his powers to increase his physical abilities so He could go toe to toe with Colossus in a fist fight.  Green Lantern is constantly shielded.   Yes she can shield herself better than the Scarlett Witch Who apparently now In Storm 's class but it isn't equal to Thor 's body.

It is one of the things that keep her interesting.

There's no doubting Storm's abilities but when it comes to going toe-to-toe with true divinity she doesn't particularly measure up....

She can shoot as much lightning out of her ass as she wants to but at the end of the day, she'll always be held back by writers of limited imagination who use her as a Trojan Horse prop to disrespect other characters of worth.

Post Reginald Hudlin's elevation of her character she'll always be the feckless jumpoff character the X-Office prefer her to be.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how "powerful" a character is on paper if their written making idiotic choices.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:35:34 pm by Salustrade »

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2014, 02:44:32 pm »
Val don't take any mess from false idols

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »
Those scans have no credibility. Storm was able to defeat a Sentinel above New York City with a hurricane capable of leveling the whole city, yet her control was such that only the robot was hurt while leaving NYC unharmed. Storm has had this degree of control from the get-go as it happened in Uncanny 98. That issue wrote Storm down for Val.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:21 am »
Those scans have no credibility. Storm was able to defeat a Sentinel above New York City with a hurricane capable of leveling the whole city, yet her control was such that only the robot was hurt while leaving NYC unharmed. Storm has had this degree of control from the get-go as it happened in Uncanny 98. That issue wrote Storm down for Val.

Oh please shut your mess up.

Storm got her ass handed to her by a true Asgardian powerhouse as would be the case for most mortals.

It's not as if her control of the weather makes her superhuman on the physiology tip.

Brunhilda on the otherhand, is a centuries old Asgardian with all the physical/mystical benefits that come with that heritage.

Only a completely delusional Storm fanatic would state anything to the contrary.

It's funny how the scans of Storm acting like a total bitch and a tool aren't described as lacking "credibility" when they're nothing more than fanwank presented as professional work.

Anyone can beat a Sentinel.

Beating a real Goddess on the otherhand is a totally different matter entirely.

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2014, 09:04:47 am »
I will say that Marvel has completely dropped the ball on having TRUE BLACK GODS AND GODDESSES in the 616 universe.

I've never liked how a Caucasian man was written to have gone to Africa and told an African woman that she was not a true goddess...as if he would know.

To me that's another example of white people telling black people what they are and are not, and of who they are and are not.

I resent Marvel's implication with that "canon."

My personal canon is, Charles Xavier didn't know what he was talking about and only told Ororo that she was not a Goddess only because he needed her help to rescue his first group of X-Men and he wanted her on his team. "Here. let me lie to you and make you think you're not divine so that you think less of yourself and come to America and help me fix a mistake that I made. No one has to know except me!"

THAT should be one of Charles Xavier's "Original Sins."

And any time Storm is depicted as a "true Goddess", it always involves her putting on some Asgardian winged helmet and dealing with Asgardian crap instead of dealing with African deities and African mythology.

I'm tired of Marvel repeatedly telling us "Storm's not a real Goddess," but these white women in the Marvel 616 universe are. The same goes for the white males in the 616.

My stance has always been that just because Ororo is a mutant does not immediately or automatically negate the possibility that she really IS a Goddess. She took a white man's words as the TRUTH when he would know less about who she really is than she does.

And let's not forget that a male Caucasian writer came up with that plot point, by the way.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:01:09 am by moneyspider »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:22 am »
In regards to the Storm/Doomsday thing, sounds like me. That sounds like an argument I would make proving Storm can beat Doomsday. Hmmm...you've got my creativity thinking on that now.

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2014, 10:39:36 am »
My stance has always been that just because Ororo is a mutant does not immediately or automatically negate the possibility that she really IS a Goddess. She took a white man's words as the TRUTH when he would know less about who she really is than she does.

But she *wasn't* a goddess. And it was only a matter of time before that was going to catch up with her. Remember, Storm tried to prevent a famine in one country only to cause a famine in another. She was fine as long as she didn't leave her little part of the world. If anything, the goddess angle was stupid from day one. Actually, a good part of Storm's origin is stupid as hell. And don't get me started on that whole "butt-nekkid African" sh*t.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:08 am »
I agree with Maxine on this one, the whole goddess thing had serious issues even before Xavier showed up.  Thank goodness there was a Wakanda to contrast that whole "savages praying over a false idol" thing. 

But moneyspider does bring up a good point: it does seem like all the white gods are shown to be legit, or at least uber-powerful, meanwhile the gods of other mythologies are seen as lesser for the most part.

I mean, compare the Olympians and the Asgardians to the Egyptian Gods, nevermind Bast.  There's such a huge contrast. 

Storm definitely ain't the answer though.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2014, 12:08:00 pm »
I think everybody has a point in their posts.

There is no question whatsoever that Storm [ with her incredible combination of being in tune with the elements not just of earth but of life, her all but ignored mighty mystical heritage, her all but ignored royal lineage ] could be written with perfect sensibility as a descended of Ausette or some other African goddess with massive mystical might. Mind [ royalty ] Body [ fine African physique ] Spirit [ elemental ] and Soul [ magical lineage, descendant of a major goddess like Ausette ]  and still be a mutant. An OMEGA LEVEL mutant, thank you. Such a magnificent equilibrium...African, mutant, goddess, warrior, royalty...is very typical of African culture incarnate. Lots of history behind it. Real world history [ except for the mutant stuff ]. She could quite literally be a demigoddess or a full on goddess. Easily. Such a state of affairs would explain her gargantuan spiritual abilities, her capacity to house the essence of Eternity within herself, her comprehensive connection to life energies even in space, why she's able to summon Roguestorm...and more.

She COULD be a goddess...and not even CONSCIOUSLY know it herself.

And this COULD be...in fact is almost certainly...a reflection of the abysmal ignorance of and lack of regard for African spirituality and culture that the Marvel writers have displayed en masse for decades. There are incredible stories that most of us could write regarding Storm's background. We could fill in gaps, resolve so many stupidities, contradictions, etc.

But.

Doesn't change the fact that Ororo accepted the title of Goddess without knowing FOR SURE that SHE WAS ACTUALLY a goddess.  Doesn't change the fact that Ororo has practically limitless power, and is on the one hand written as if she has rejected that power [ we're talking Roguestorm here ] because she probably can't control it...yet on the other hand she's written with the spiritual equilibrium to house the essence of Eternity. Doesn't change the fact that Storm got wild hand to hand squabble skills and will STILL get A Pimp Named Slickback smacked da hell up by Val in any h2h throwdown.

If Ororo can house the essence of Eternity? She can rock Roguestorm. End of.

Yes, she was written down for Val...because Roguestorm would kick the living snot out of Val. On the other hand, Val IS not just A VALKYRIE, she is THEE VALKYRIE. She would kick the preposterous crap out of Storm in any form of h2h throwdown. That's what Val does. That's her thing. If Ororo trained with TChalla? She would do better vs Val...but Val still wins any h2h fisticuffs style throwdown via omfg mollywhoppage.

On. The. Other. Hand.

If Ororo really has the African goddess lineage rockin? She would likely be able to summon the fighting experience of said goddesses. Warrior goddesses. Undefeated warrior goddesses.

If that's so? Storm might just have tuh Sharkeisha dat a$$. Lolol. Okay, yes, even your SUPREME ILLUMINATI can go there from time to time.

As matters stand? Well...

...Storm is in potentially great hands with Mr. Pak. Mr. Pak is DEFINITELY aware of MOST of our concerns. Judging from how he wrecked shop with WAR MACHINE? Yeah...he'll probably write stories that will have us all standing up cheering and saying ABOUT DAMN TIME. Even our very own Mac Beam Shaw...er, Maxine Shaw...might like the stories he writes.

Course, she won't read 'em anyway. So we'll just have to inform her of our opinions and allat on this Forum.

Oh yeah...I seriously do NOT get down with the general feeling that RH turned Ororo into a cheerleader for TChalla. There's a big difference between being down for your man and being a door mat for your man. Queen Ororo is nobody's door mat, and wasn't written that way. Cheerleaders don't stand down Iron Man, go toe to toe with Death, and rescue [ several times ] from serious extremis the person whom they are the helpless feckless second fiddle for...by overcoming foes that the lead guy didn't. Cheerleaders don't usher in the next Black Panther...and the first in 616 continuity living reigning FEMALE Black Panther...while bringing the Wakandan Council to heel, either.

Juss sayin.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:14:52 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2014, 01:16:50 pm »
Course, she won't read 'em anyway. So we'll just have to inform her of our opinions and allat on this Forum.

Oh yeah...I seriously do NOT get down with the general feeling that RH turned Ororo into a cheerleader for TChalla. There's a big difference between being down for your man and being a door mat for your man. Queen Ororo is nobody's door mat, and wasn't written that way. Cheerleaders don't stand down Iron Man, go toe to toe with Death, and rescue [ several times ] from serious extremis the person whom they are the helpless feckless second fiddle for...by overcoming foes that the lead guy didn't. Cheerleaders don't usher in the next Black Panther...and the first in 616 continuity living reigning FEMALE Black Panther...while bringing the Wakandan Council to heel, either.

Juss sayin.

I love your point of view here at HEF, Supreme.  You are not like those fanatics whose only purpose is to create chaos. You are respectful of everyone's opinions in the forum and I never feel as if you are trying to rankle anyone here with the reading material.  I believe part of the reason is because most folks know that you can crush them with your bare hands in real life.  ;D
However, power is a very relative element in the MARVEL universe; the saying goes, "With great power comes great responsibility"  and I believe that concept carries throughout all of the characters in the MARVEL universe.  The way I perceived Hudlin's treatment of Storm as a emotionally intelligent Black woman who carries a large lightning bolt, not a cheerleader.  Storm reminded me more of First Lady Michelle Obama than a perky, pom-pom carrying sweetheart.  She always seemed to keep her emotions in check when paired with T'Challa but the way she's written by the post-Hudlin writers, Storm behaves like a freshman in High School in a ghetto neighborhood.  :-\