Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 708653 times)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:22 am »
Wolverine is going to die and come back to rise again. He is an avenger remember?
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:28 am »
Of course Wolverine will come back...eventually, but by that time, the Storm/Wolverine thing will be outdated. Storm's character will have moved on to bigger and better things.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

APEXABYSS

« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2014, 05:43:41 pm »
I'd like to see some African gods and goddesses show up in her book...Shango and Oya, for starters.

Shango is the Yoruba god of fire, thunder and lightning, and Oya is the Yoruba warrior goddess connected to wind, lightning, fertility, fire and magic.

Oya:

Shango:

In my instructionals, I used these very images to show specifically how the knowledge brought about by our African spiritual practices has the most profound impact on our martial arts arsenal, technique application, tactics, strategies, and much more. Much more. I specifically point out that lack of knowledge of the orixas will wholesale prevent you/us/whoever from practicing African martial arts like Kipura...miscalled Capoeira.

yes, great post, moneyspider. very deep, supreme illuminati. excellent

Zeus= (Greek) god- lightning

Tlaloc= (Aztec) god- lightning/ storms

Leir = (Celtic) god- lightning

Tian-Mu= (Asian) god- lightning

Thor= (Norsemen) god- lightning

Ororo= (African) not a god- mutant- lightning/ storms

Devalued powers? Of course. She has the capabilities of the gods but not considered a goddess. How is Thor a god but she’s not? 

Storm is headed to the Caribbean where Yoruba is still heavily practiced, along with Vudun (Voodoo). She may be viewed as a witch or a sorceress,  by the locals.

The X-writers may choose to suppress her character but run into dangerous territory when they suppress an entire cultural belief system. Imagine Storm being worshipped as a black goddess for & by black people. That’s way too much for fan-boys to handle. I never thought it was racism... just culturalism, classism, mutualism. It’s still an “ism” & isms are usually followed by discrimination.

I  stated it before I’ll state it again= 1000 times better

Anyone that has any doubts about her “goddess” status obviously enjoys the mutant label she’s been given. Why wouldn’t Ororo have basic knowledge of the pantheon of lightning gods? Because Storm is a fictional
character & the writers did not do their research or do not want to portray/ represent her to the fullest. 

Should fans speak-out when they disagree with the way a character is being portrayed?

Let’s deal with the elephant in the room. RH (Reginald Hudlin.)! Is it possible that the only reason Storm & Tcallah reached the height of heights is because of his status?
Is RH the “Muhammad Ali” of the comic-book sport? Was the coupling of our beloved characters a form of social black activism? There goes another “ism” followed by discrimination. Let’s face it, the guy has the credentials to do whatever he wanted with BP & Storm.

He single-handedly did what Milestone Comics did. They all promoted black heroes as “pop icons” without the blaxpliotation. Black culture is pop culture. The fan-boy mentality is to make sure it’s not too-black too-strong. BP is the king of a sovereign African Nation. Is BP too black for Storm?

Storm is on her new “Miss Independent Super-Hero (ex)Wife” thing. Zeus earrings in full effect!   

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »
Devalued powers? Of course. She has the capabilities of the gods but not considered a goddess. How is Thor a god but she’s not? 
Because being a god in the Marvel Universe has nothing to do with power.   Mostly it is about what species you are born into and a mystical nature.  Since both her parents are human and her powers are science based then she isn't.   Of course there have been times in Marvel where they say that Thor and the rest really aren't gods either,  at least not in the religious sense.

Hulk, even Spider - Man is more powerful than some of the Asgradians, but even Galactus isn't a god. 

APEXABYSS

« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2014, 07:50:34 pm »
Because being a god in the Marvel Universe has nothing to do with power.   Mostly it is about what species you are born into and a mystical nature.  Since both her parents are human and her powers are science based then she isn't.   Of course there have been times in Marvel where they say that Thor and the rest really aren't gods either,  at least not in the religious sense.

Hulk, even Spider - Man is more powerful than some of the Asgradians, but even Galactus isn't a god. 

I like it. I like it a lot. Fantastic POV.

So, is she a goddess or should she be considered a goddess? Demi-god? Mortal or immortal or some-place in between? She could be. 
Jesus was born by a mortal parent. No?

Mephisto is not Satan, but a creature from some-sort of alternate universe. He was created by a suicidal god-like being.  He poses as the devil & created the Ghost Rider. He’s not considered an (evil) god, either, but has god power.

Milestone had Static. He’s not a god but has some of Storm‘s (electrical) powers.

Galactus gets his power from a power source. The same source he gave to Silver Surfer.

I read somewhere that Thor could beat Superman. Why? The logic was, Superman is an alien but Thor is a god.

From a religious stand point you’re right. The god concept may confuse folks. Power does not equal god-level. Especially suppressed powers. Are any black characters god-like?  Omega-level-Mutant?  Who should have such power? BP? Storm?   

APEXABYSS

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:02 pm »

also...

The DC / Marvel collab known as Amalgram Comics

Amazon #1(1996) Princess Storm is the adopted daughter of the Amazon Queen.

Skills and Abilities: Storm
She can also view the world in terms of energy patterns and can sense disturbances in nature. This control is dependent on her will and strength of her body. Due to her powers she is immune to temperature extremes.
She can also mold her lightning into a lightning lasso which once ensnared compels those caught to speak the truth.

At one point, Zeus offered to make Wonder Woman a goddess. She refused.

Asgard (What If?) Storm. She needs a "god" co-sign. She could get the same status from Shango/ Oya. Right?

When she’s down with the Greek gods- she’s a god or a Queen. But, why wouldn’t she be considered a goddess in African/ Caribbean mythology? Just a mutant or witch? She was a Queen with BP.

damn, damn, damn James!

2010 drawings (fun stuff)

wonder woman

thor

did you check-out Storm's earrings? Stars. they know the lightning bolt earrings represents Zeus. I know it too.

2014 drawing
Storm & BP (yes, I gave him a beard & gave her hips)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:29:22 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2014, 02:03:46 am »
Storm is headed to the Caribbean where Yoruba is still heavily practiced, along with Vudun (Voodoo). She may be viewed as a witch or a sorceress,  by the locals.

The X-writers may choose to suppress her character but run into dangerous territory when they suppress an entire cultural belief system. Imagine Storm being worshipped as a black goddess for & by black people. That’s way too much for fan-boys to handle. I never thought it was racism... just culturalism, classism, mutualism. It’s still an “ism” & isms are usually followed by discrimination.

Agreed.

Magnificent pencils, by the way.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2014, 03:46:51 am »
I read somewhere that Thor could beat Superman. Why? The logic was, Superman is an alien but Thor is a god..

When they wrote that story,  Superman beat Thor.   And Thor fans went through the roof.   

Really in Marvel,  being a god doesn't mean much.   Many Asgardian have no special powers,  except they live very long time and they are somewhat stronger than human.   The Warrior Three are really just good fighters and some what stronger than human.  They have no other powers.   But Blue Marvel is leagues above them in terms of power.   Actually Marvel is more powerful than any other Asgardian except Odin and Thor.   Thor is probably in the same class,  Odin is more powerful than both.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:49:37 am by KIP LEWIS »

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »
Personally, I'd like it if Ororo's mother N'Dare was retconned into not only having been a Kenyan princess, but also to have been a demi-goddess or a full goddess herself, and then N'Dare fell in love with David Munroe and they created Ororo, a demi-goddess. Something like what happened to Captain Benjamin Sisko on DS9, where I think in the final season, Ben discovered that his REAL mother was a prophet or a goddess or some sort of deity.

But that's just because I love the idea of African goddesses and African gods, and I've been on a YouTube tear recently trying to find videos about African deities (I could also search the Internet for articles, but I really like video presentations about such topics).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:10:26 pm by moneyspider »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2014, 04:05:20 pm »
I loved Greg Pak's Planet Hulk but in this instance, would have much preferred Afua Richardson as scribe and artist for the Storm solo gig.

http://www.afuarichardson.info/about/#

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/76581-afua-richardson-oncoming-storm.html

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2014, 04:44:50 pm »
Have we seen any artwork from the book yet?

Anyone have good samples of the artist's work?   

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:49 pm »
Oh my jeebus.

She is totally hot
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #177 on: May 24, 2014, 06:01:39 am »
Yep, Afua is totally awesome. I already stated how great it would be to have black women as the creators of the new Storm series. I used the SNL example, because they hired three black women, this season. Bravo, NBC!

Let’s keep it real. I still believe (100%) I have the answer for how to develop the series.

“I’ll diss your magazine & still won’t get a weak review. I’ll make your freak leave you...” ~Eminem

“If I knew what I knew in the past I woulda been blacked-out on yo ass!” ~Kanye West

Whatever they produce (victor & greg) should be interesting & entertaining. But, will they raise the bar? Will their Storm trump or supersede the Storms of the past? Will their Storm be more of the same ol same?

Who would you choose (besides me) to develop the new Storm series?

I’m smart & humble enough to put the best creators on top.

Dream team creators: NAS/ Chuck D /Michelle Obama / black confident conscious creators/ The HEF squad

Creators:

#2. Afua Richardson

#3. Bryan D. Davis

#4.  Amei Zhao (colours are amazing)

#5. Ron Ackins

Mshindo Kuumba.

Chase Conley 

David Williams

Aminah Jones 

Rashad Doucet 

and several others...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:01:05 am by APEXABYSS »

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2014, 06:31:48 am »

Don't forget Jiba Molei Anderson.

http://jazintellect.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/lumumba-funk-thats-what-it-is/

Lumumba Funk opens the door to do these stories now with much greater reach than anything Marvel or DC have conceived.

Dr. Walter Greason
School of Education
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2014, 03:56:15 pm »