Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455796 times)

Offline Frostbite883

• View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2014, 02:27:48 pm »
Just so you guys know (and/or remember), there are african gods that exist in the Marvel Universe other than Bast and his relatives.

Introducing The Vodu!

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2014, 04:34:04 pm »
Well, Marvel needs to start using them and stop shoving Greek and Asgardian gods and goddesses down our throats.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2014, 04:47:00 pm »
Just so you guys know (and/or remember), there are african gods that exist in the Marvel Universe other than Bast and his relatives.

Introducing The Vodu!

told yah, I'm not goin' as hard as I could... I should have dealt with this when I posted the stuff about Dr. VooDoo. I said I would come back to it, so...

Uh, yeah, great find, Frostbite883. Anything to get Storm back to her roots is a plus. cheers to you.

But, there are some inconsistencies. The original tenants of Vodun did not include deities. Yoruba is a derivative of Vodun, in the same way Judaism & Catholicism is to Christianity. The original practice of Vodun was the appreciation of all things in nature (earth, wind, fire, water, etc).

The link refers or associates deities to ancestral Vodun, known as “The Vodu”.  The deities came much later & the practitioners began to merge (or were persuaded to merge) the two belief systems. Showing deities & calling them The Vodu is irresponsible, because it represents further deviation of the original tenants. Today, Voodoo has been laced with dozens of deviations & down-right corruptions. That’s why modern Voodoo is full of “Mojo-bags” Spells, potions, shrunken heads, voodoo dolls & is considered African witch-craft. I believe, these corruptions were intentionally added (to the belief system) to further demonize African Culture.

Like with most religions, people are supporting an abbreviated version & do not know or understand the full spectrum. Marvel is way out-of line to merge the two practices just like anyone else that does the same.

Again, the original form of Vodun does not , I repeat, does not have deities. The word Vodun literally means "nature".

Agriculture is the closest thing to the origins of Vodun. Growing food was a science. AGRO- (land, ground, earth, field)  CULTURE= The beliefs & customs of a particular society, group, place, or time. Ways of life. Also means = worship, reverence, "the tilling of land," cultivating & honoring.

Marvel has a lot of nerve creating these characters. Maybe they didn’t know any better. Maybe they did. Most people don’t know, so I’ll give them a pass. Yes, Yoruba does have principals & acts of nature morphed into human (deity) form.

The Vodu- all look mulatto. The comic pages are ok. Nice art & the research is almost on point.  I could break-down Kemetic deities, too. Diversity? hhhmmmm

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:03:46 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »
Today, Voodoo has been laced with dozens of deviations & down-right corruptions. That’s why modern Voodoo is full of “Mojo-bags” Spells, potions, shrunken heads, voodoo dolls & is considered African witch-craft. I believe, these corruptions were intentionally added (to the belief system) to further demonize African Culture.

You're not the only one who believes that, APEXABYSS...

Behold!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch-doctor/

APEXABYSS

« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2014, 05:59:53 pm »
^^
Agreed. All religions have this issue.

Wow, just, wow! Amazing graphics & concepts. I keep forgetting how spectacular these video games have become.

The Storm solo series seems lame, now. (not mine, he-he) LOL

I hope Korean-born Greg Pak has half of that kind of imagination. BTW, I grew-up in a Korean house-hold, for several years. I can even make Kim-chi. Anyway ,Victor better get busy, too!

Goin’ back to watch the video, again. Gamsa-hapnida (thank you in Korean)

so bad but yet so good

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:11:29 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2014, 02:40:19 am »
^^
Agreed. All religions have this issue.

Wow, just, wow! Amazing graphics & concepts. I keep forgetting how spectacular these video games have become.

so bad but yet so good

I agree.

The art direction is amazing, however, as you have eloquently pointed out, Vodun (Voodoo) is bastardized by American pop culture (and American politics) and as a result, you see material like...  the Witch Doctor in this video game that brings disease, infestation and wild creatures which is contrasted by the introduction of the Crusader, which is supposedly portrayed as a great white bastion of hope wearing heavy armor and brandishing sharp swords and tower shields.

Very obvious what's going on here.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2014, 07:47:21 pm »

If she wasn't the Chocolate Typhoid Mary? She could get it. I'd put her in that HEF thread for fooiiine sistahs and bruthas.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
Have we seen any artwork from the book yet?

Anyone have good samples of the artist's work?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53210
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

APEXABYSS

« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2014, 04:33:14 am »
Have we seen any artwork from the book yet?

Anyone have good samples of the artist's work?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53210

Greg needs a little Seoul! Victor, I dig the art, but the scenario...

:( :( :'(

Great, Storm’s gonna save the poor-poor people of the Caribbean from natural disasters. Didn’t see that coming! What a surprise! Oh yeh, and bustin‘-up bad guys.

Geez, more black victimization. When are they going to learn that black people aren’t always interested in someone coming to save them?

I see it as a form of “patronizing” or even “condescending”, on Storm’s part.

Please, Storm, give the people of the Caribbean back their dignity. Making Storm a “savior” (of Islanders) is cruel & unfair. Blood-Claat!

It’s Storm that needs rescuing.

It’s not about big action & emotionality. It’s about intensity & creativity.

^ this or that?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2014, 05:54:47 am »

^ this or that?

Mmm-mm!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥~~~♥

I'll take 'em all!  ;D

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »

^ this or that?

NOT IF I BEAT YOU TO IT!!

You realize that those beautiful sistahs are reading this post and will slap the teeth out of either or both of us if we came at them and said anything, right? Lol.

Mmm-mm!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥~~~♥

I'll take 'em all!  ;D
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2014, 09:52:23 am »
The one that is looking at me I prefer. Yea I said it she is looking at me. LOL
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »
Acceptable http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=22766&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=53490

Acceptable what?

It's Forge aka the safe bet aka the black guy in a 80's comedy

Storm fans won't complain when he's colored to look like a white male, probably won't be a sexual relationship so there's no threat there even with Logan in the picture and ultimately no one at the x-office gives a damn about Forge so there's no threat to her "ranking" and possibly being over shadowed