Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455783 times)

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2014, 08:06:06 pm »
Her origin isn't even "hers". It's a shameless and blatant rip-off of Modesty Blaise's.

And pretty much any fictional character can be written to go toe-to-toe with anyone. Storm being constantly pedestaled and propped up as the exotic, token, black, weather based, female, version of Goku, whose-ethnicity-is-really-only-talked-about-to-show-how-bad-practically-all-other-black-people-are-in-contrast-to-her, just makes it easier than most. Which is partly why she's the most "iconic" woman in the MU. Storm is "safe" for the readership.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:13:39 pm by Booshman »

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:28 pm »
Which is partly why she's the most "iconic" woman in the MU. Storm is "safe" for the readership.

And why the public was so enraged when she started f*cking a black man. It sullied her in their eyes. Rutting with some dude in a locker room to subconscious stick it to your ex - now THAT'S class.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:00 pm »
Which is partly why she's the most "iconic" woman in the MU. Storm is "safe" for the readership.

And why the public was so enraged when she started f*cking a black man. It sullied her in their eyes. Rutting with some dude in a locker room to subconscious stick it to your ex - now THAT'S class.

They were also enraged because "she and said black man had no prior romantic history and fell in love quickly". Unlike the now favored Forge. Who isn't a Native American that is always drawn to look like a 100% white guy, and who she had a long history with/spent a lot of issues with prior to their falling in....oh wait.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:45:46 pm by Booshman »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:17 am »
I don't know how to multi-quote people to respond to many different posts, so I'll respond to some of the points right now on this post.

First off, I did not bring up BP in this discussion. Others did when they posted scans of the BP/Storm fight in response to the preview pages from the upcoming "Storm" issue I presented. After that, it was followed by the same old rhetoric about the "X-offices don't respect Black men because Storm is fighting some Black criminals in her first issue and she punched BP in the face." What I am talking about is hypocrisy. People are inserting race into the break up between Storm and T'challa talking about how he is getting the shaft because he is a Black man and he is being disrespected as a Black man. This is a position that is tenuous at best, to be frank. The sale numbers of the BP book were on a sharp decline, Storm was made to play second fiddle to a third string character in the book when Shuri took over and as a result of poor characterization of Storm that took place at the beginning of the whole ordeal, many of her fanbase were very resentful of the marriage. Her role in the title was declining and her character held back. The marriage needed to end. I don't think anyone here disputes that the way the marriage ended was bad, however, to always insert race into anything having to do with Storm's book in a negative way to victimize Black men is tired and old. The hypocrisy comes in when these same passionate feelings/arguments were not made when Storm truly was being disrespected in many ways early on yet these same people were oblivious to that and offered praise for it when it happened. If they are going to keep pushing this racial thing with Black Panther, then I'm gonna call them on that...especially when they are bringing this negativity to a thread that is supposed to be an uplifting thread about Storm's upcoming book.
No you caught feelings and got mad it is what is. You can sit here and pretend that "I didnt bring up BP" even though in your post after my quote you talked BP numerous of times. Next your so called "facts" about black relationships comes out. As for the sales decline and the so called second fiddle who was at fault again? All I am seeing so far is your whining in why Storm wasn't in charge to possibly become BP herself.

Having the viewpoint of one writer stating "she is iconic" means nothing. Of course Pak is going to say that since he writing the dayum book. Why wouldn't he? It is marketing 101. The so called "high profile female heroine" after 30 years never had her own book. That's sad.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2014, 08:13:07 am »

They were also enraged because "she and said black man had no prior romantic history and fell in love quickly". Unlike the now favored Forge. Who isn't a Native American that is always drawn to look like a 100% white guy, and who she had a long history with/spent a lot of issues with prior to their falling in....oh wait.

Yeap, folks now get selective about which story they wanna pay attention to from "almighty" Claremont

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2014, 10:18:15 am »
Oh giddy Storm is fighting African militias again. Next arc she'll fight a possessed character from the shadow king.

Storm strolling airborne through the clouds attired in Jean Grey/X-Fan approved clothing: Check

Storm strolling airborne through the clouds still sporting her Wolverine-acquired/X-fan required Mohawk coiff: Check

Storm strolling airborne through the clouds likely reflecting on the fate of her Troll lover and still delivering the smackdown to recalitrant, reprobate ugly black males: Check

Meet the new Storm
Same as the old Storm
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2014, 10:51:25 am »
"Epitome of Blackness"

Wow.  That has got to be in the list of ways not to build any good will. 

Nevermind telling a black woman to "show some respect" and "shut her mouth".  For someone talking about treasuring black women and how "some of us" are misogynist hypocrites, that's a very bad look. 

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2014, 11:16:44 am »
"Epitome of Blackness"

Nevermind telling a black woman to "show some respect" and "shut her mouth".  For someone talking about treasuring black women and how "some of us" are misogynist hypocrites, that's a very bad look.

As much as Rutog seems to be going on some inane tangents and comes off a bit delusional, In his defense Maxine did say some pretty hardcore things to him...it's her choice and style but wishing violence on dude and cursing at him might be considered a pretty bad look too...not that she cares or even should.  Do you.

however, at RUTOG, dude, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish...one you opened a Storm Praise thread on a Black Panther Forum and message board so technically since she no longer has anything to do with the character it's a faulty judgement.  Two, what kind of praise did you plan on getting with fans on her knowing how they currently feel about the character and Marvel's treatment of the marriage?  I don't and haven't agreed with many posters on here and the only direct argument I had was with the Mohawk and its symbolism, but even though I don't agree I get why some are mad, especially with the weird way writers seem to still bring up the divorce. 

and your analysis of black male/female relationships had nothing to do with the overall point and was kinda uncalled for, though I think u bought it up as a petty attack to male posters on here. not too mention its pretty much misunderstood.  You haven't really touched upon the greater influences in society that in some ways drives us apart, though far from always.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2014, 11:20:17 am »
"Epitome of Blackness"

Seriously? You've got to be the only person who read that post and not get the fact I was making light of her jab at me. I was totally making a joke and was waiting for her to respond to it so I could retort with, 'I know everything there is to know about Blackness, so u might as well stop fighting me, admit it and learn something. Nobody can tell me anything because I know. You're like that annoying big sister who can't stand that you've got a little brother who knows about these thing better than you, so you try and hide your jealousy of his insights by taking shots at him only to lose. Accept your fate, stop being stubborn and learn something. I have only your best interest at heart as I administer the master lesson on Blackness!"

Now, read that and the last post I made. Anyone who believes all hat about themselves earnestly is obviously a mental case. Does it sound serious or like a joke to you?  That said, though she doesn't know it, I actually like her though we are in disagreement on the idea of supporting Storm's book. Also, I know what her personality is like. I know she doesn't always come across sane. I  can have some fun while I'm at it poking at the hornet's nest and getting a tirade out of her while making light of what she says through selective reading of her posts. I've known her on boards before this one for years and we always got on well before the Storm solo. Trust me, she's taking this much more personal than I am

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:26:42 am by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:08 am »
I used to think Forge was afro Cuban. I'd rather seen Storm with a woman but Forge would be acceptable to most.

Forge...an "Afro Cuban"  :)  The way his character was rendered... :D
Cuban? Perhaps. I didn't perceive much if any "Afro" active in his visible comicbook character DNA.

The course is inexorably set.

As surely as Hillary Clinton will succeed Barack Obama as President of These United States Of America, Ororo's roll in the hay with a female lover ( a non-so-called black female, of course...musn't offend the sensitivities of race/physical appearance concerned X-Fans), ... I say, as surely as we'll all be addressing Hillary Clinton as "Madam President", Ororo WILL have a scintillating, sensational scissoring session with a Caucasian, Asian, Latina but not a negress female.

And then her character will be killed off to engage in a threesome with the departed Jean Grey and the soon-to-be-departed Logan.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »
Keep digging that hole

If this comic fails I can't wait for your post where you blame everybody else just like the x-board folks will

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2014, 01:41:15 pm »
Never mind Black males, we haven't seen Storm in a friendship with any Black females since
the Stevey Hunter days 30 friggin years ago.

And since Stevey was more Kitty's friend, you could argue that she shouldn't even count.

Storm's realtionships with Black folks period outside of the Black Panther series, has been her saving hapless tribes folk from menacing Warlords. Even the recent Xmen annual stuck to this pattern.

Storm only returns to Africa to save her relatives who are tribesfolk (there are cities in Kenya) from a serial murderer with a grudge.

Male or Female, Storm in the Xbooks can only save other Black folk or beat them up. They aren't allowed to be her peers, or friends or lovers.

Bishop was retconned into being Australian, so the only countering evidence is Stevey Hunter, a 30 year old character who no longer appears in the Xbooks and Gentle, a sparsely appearing character who has been in outright limbo since Schism started.

People who care about how Black characters are portrayed in media might not have much to look forward to
with a Storm book.

Storm herself doesn't count, that is almost the whole point of her now.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2014, 02:46:42 pm »
Well she did have dinner at a restaurant with Misty Knight (who I'm indifferent towards, at best), Colleen Wing, and Jean Grey....one time.

Other than that, drawing a blank.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »
Whut the...?

Vic Vega posted this?

Vic Vega posted this!

Lest we forget...there was a period of enmity,  suspicion...possible envy between Ororo and Stevie Hunter where Kitty was concerned. Kitty wasn't a fan of the Mohawk and biker chick wardrobe either.

Storm's only acceptable "family" was that dysfunctional incestuous X-Men "family" where at least two of her "brothers" - Logan and Kurt - wouldn't have minded getting into her panties. Logan eventually succeeded. Meanwhile, Ororo's U.S. biological family was a crack house until Hudlin straightened out that mess.

Ororo isn't "black".
Ororo is a pot of gumbo.

Never mind Black males, we haven't seen Storm in a friendship with any Black females since
the Stevey Hunter days 30 friggin years ago.

And since Stevey was more Kitty's friend, you could argue that she shouldn't even count.

Storm's realtionships with Black folks period outside of the Black Panther series, has been her saving hapless tribes folk from menacing Warlords. Even the recent Xmen annual stuck to this pattern.

Storm only returns to Africa to save her relatives who are tribesfolk (there are cities in Kenya) from a serial murderer with a grudge.

Male or Female, Storm in the Xbooks can only save other Black folk or beat them up. They aren't allowed to be her peers, or friends or lovers.

Bishop was retconned into being Australian, so the only countering evidence is Stevey Hunter, a 30 year old character who no longer appears in the Xbooks and Gentle, a sparsely appearing character who has been in outright limbo since Schism started.

People who care about how Black characters are portrayed in media might not have much to look forward to
with a Storm book.

Storm herself doesn't count, that is almost the whole point of her now.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:16:16 pm by sinjection1 »

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
Well she did have dinner at a restaurant with Misty Knight (who I'm indifferent towards, at best), Colleen Wing, and Jean Grey....one time.

Other than that, drawing a blank.

Who remembers the time when Cecelia Reyes addressed Ororo as "Sista" only to have Ororo inform her that she was NOT her sista, sister or any such?

Cece wasn't "family material" as far as patchwork quilt Storm was concerned.