Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455757 times)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:02 pm »
The amount of civility and respect you guys display inside HEF is a shining example of how to agree to disagree politely.

There are times I wish I possessed your level of intelligence, gentlemen.

I'm still learning.

I have had my periods of uncivilty in the past so I'm no paragon of virtue.

I'm learning just like everyone else.  ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 30, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »
Then this show wont last too long.

Ugh! 
You're right...

Randall Park who plays Governor Chung on 'Veep' seems to be a lead character on that show you just posted.  The show doesn't appear to be as ground breaking as 'All American Girl'; At least Margaret Cho had guest stars on her show (Tarantino comes to mind).

APEXABYSS

« Reply #302 on: June 30, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »
Iím not supporting anything representing women of color (storm) fighting black-men. We fight together not each other. have her fight them...

let the master teacher tell it...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:42:59 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 30, 2014, 05:01:17 pm »
Iím not supporting anything representing women of color (storm) fighting black-men. We fight together not each other. have her fight them...

Having Ororo attack Black men is per the course in X-books.

Pak is just continuing that good ol' boys tradition.

Yeeeehaaaaaaaw!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #304 on: June 30, 2014, 05:48:20 pm »
And we should imo unquestionably support Storm's new ongoing until we have legit issues with her portrayal and whatnot. Because the fact of the matter is? Pak can write his hindquarters off. For those who have reservations about him writing a Black person? Remember how he just KILT IT on WAR MACHINE.

Pak can do this.

Storm has long needed a series. And we can have the history making happenstance of a Black female lead in her own solo break into the shelves and be profitable. Thus opening up the market for more women of color, and more people PERIOD.

Learn to say YES to good things, people.

A black woman without a black-man? Thatís not cultural appreciation. What legacy & whoís legacy is that representing? That's foreign interpretation & manipulation.

ďPower concedes nothing without a demand.Ē[/i] ~ Freddrick Douglas. Whoís demanding that a strong independent black women duke-it-out with other black people & be their savior?

Is it a business move or a passive opportunity to continue to control the image of black characters? They are monopolizing Storm. The idealism/ concepts (of the storm solo ) is already dysfunctional & distorted because it's not speaking to issues facing women of color. Just fan-boys, who donít want to acknowledge... What doors are opening & who has all the keys... for a black female character? fan-boys... hhhmmmmm

They (the public) wants President Obama to appeal to a broader audience & not just blacks. The fan-boys only want Storm to appeal to them & not broader audiences. Am I right or wrong? Diversity!

Not the same olí same. Pak has the right to produce the comic as he sees fit. But when it comes to culture (African / Afro Cuban/ Caribbean) he has to come-up to a cultural standard & responsibility.  Not go down to please his demographic jus to secure sells. i'll wish them well, while I give them hell. Defending our women is our duty. We're fighting with them side by side. The solo has her fighting us. The same way she fought BP. It's a bad start. Skating on thin-ice for sure.     

I just completed a comic about the ďChinese Valentineís.Ē Iím black! Do you think I depicted any stereo-typical images or concepts of Asians? 

I'm not trippin' or taking it too seriously. It's just a harsh-critique for an important subject matter. recognize!

this quote:

A black woman without a black-man? Thatís not cultural appreciation. What legacy & whoís legacy is that representing? That's foreign interpretation & manipulation.

leaped out at me.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, and if so? Please help me to understand better.

But this right here...

...A black woman without a black-man? Thatís not cultural appreciation. What legacy & whoís legacy is that representing? That's foreign interpretation & manipulation.

...is a vast nonsequitur. Supporting STORM the book is NOT the same as supporting the idea of a Black woman being without a Black man. In exactly the same sense that supporting TChalla without a built in Black Queen is NOT the same as supporting the idea that a Black man should be without a Black woman.

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »

Yeeeehaaaaaaaw!

Having so-called black men at odds somehow with so-called black women seems per the course in Marvel Comics period.

Nothing ever proceeds normally.

Ororo and T'Challa marry and then the marriage is annulled.

T'Challa is engaged to Monica Lynne. T'Challa is grievously injured and during his long recovery, Monica meets, falls in love with and becomes with white reporter Kevin Trudeau.

In some battle...it might have been during Civil War...Monica Rambeau squares off against Bishop.

Doctor Voodoo is only able to establish a romance with Monica Rambeau through magicks and chicanery, not through mutual attraction and interests.

Meanwhile, the recently single Misty Knight - clad most of the time in a teeny-weeny red bikini - practically throws herself at Daredevil as they team up to take down a man with whom Misty must have had a brief relationship. The man was so-called black and a criminal...naturally.

Now, there was Claire Temple and Luke Cage, but that relationship probably happened before most of you were out of diapers.

All this from a company who allows an albino so-called black super-villian who derives her power from her ability to generate extreme hatred to somehow fall in love with the white racist villian Grim Reaper...who eventually kills her.

The same company who had the lovely Calypso, another so-called black female, fall in love with a white villian - Kraven the Hunter or was it Kraven's son? Whoever it was, that white villian killed Calypso.

This same Marvel Comics which has never seemed to keen to establish a normal romantic relationship between a black female character and a black male character, marries a black male homosexual to a white male homosexual superhero, breaks up a romance between a black male mutant and his Asian mutant girlfriend only to "evolve" his character into a bisexual with a thing for a character resembling the Jolly Green Giant's offspring....this same Marvel Comics who killed off the black male mutant Synch just as his character was moving closer to a possible romance with the female mutant Monet St Croix...this same Marvel Comics who had a white male mutant who resembled a vulture impregnate a female mutant of color and who produced a love story featuring the animal mutant Beast slobbering into the mouth of black female mutant Cecelia Reyes...this same Marvel Comics who for decades has had the character Tyrone Johnson aka Cloak, involved in an unrequited love relationship with his blonde hair, blue eyed partner Tandy Bowen, aka Dagger.

This same Marvel Comics seems to have an unwritten but ironclad directive that no so-called black male/female intimate relationship should be established, let alone endure.

yeeeehawwww.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »
>>>Sinjection1

Well, it's obvious that the current stable of writers at MARVEL know absolutely nothing about African American relationships dealing with love.
What these writers do seem familiar with is interracial relationships.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:26 pm »
>>>Sinjection1

Well, it's obvious that the current stable of writers at MARVEL know absolutely nothing about African American relationships dealing with love.

Do they (these writers), truly seem familiar with interracial relationships...or are they more comfortable portraying such relationships because there is at least one white character - a character in their comfort zone - they can cling to? Maybe these writers feel that black-on-black violence sells, but black love repels.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2014, 06:34:07 pm »

Yeeeehaaaaaaaw!

Having so-called black men at odds somehow with so-called black women seems per the course in Marvel Comics period.

T'Challa is engaged to Monica Lynne. T'Challa is grievously injured and during his long recovery, Monica meets, falls in love with and becomes with white reporter Kevin Trudeau.

In some battle...it might have been during Civil War...Monica Rambeau squares off against Bishop.

Doctor Voodoo is only able to establish a romance with Monica Rambeau through magicks and chicanery, not through mutual attraction and interests.

Meanwhile, the recently single Misty Knight - clad most of the time in a teeny-weeny red bikini - practically throws herself at Daredevil as they team up to take down a man with whom Misty must have had a brief relationship. The man was so-called black and a criminal...naturally.

Now, there was Claire Temple and Luke Cage, but that relationship probably happened before most of you were out of diapers.

All this from a company who allows an albino so-called black super-villian who derives her power from her ability to generate extreme hatred to somehow fall in love with the white racist villian Grim Reaper...who eventually kills her.

The same company who had the lovely Calypso, another so-called black female, fall in love with a white villian - Kraven the Hunter or was it Kraven's son? Whoever it was, that white villian killed Calypso.

This same Marvel Comics which has never seemed to keen to establish a normal romantic relationship between a black female character and a black male character, marries a black male homosexual to a white male homosexual superhero, breaks up a romance between a black male mutant and his Asian mutant girlfriend only to "evolve" his character into a bisexual with a thing for a character resembling the Jolly Green Giant's offspring....this same Marvel Comics who killed off the black male mutant Synch just as his character was moving closer to a possible romance with the female mutant Monet St Croix...this same Marvel Comics who had a white male mutant who resembled a vulture impregnate a female mutant of color and who produced a love story featuring the animal mutant Beast slobbering into the mouth of black female mutant Cecelia Reyes...this same Marvel Comics who for decades has had the character Tyrone Johnson aka Cloak, involved in an unrequited love relationship with his blonde hair, blue eyed partner Tandy Bowen, aka Dagger.

This same Marvel Comics seems to have an unwritten but ironclad directive that no so-called black male/female intimate relationship should be established, let alone endure.

yeeeehawwww.

Greg Pak?

http://www.gregpak.com/war_machine/

The guy who took a overlooked Black tech armor guy and actually made him somebody unique with his own profile and removed him from being a knockoff Iron Man?

http://www.newsarama.com/1502-greasing-the-gears-greg-pak-talks-war-machine.html

Maybe not "yeehaaaw" for HIM. "Yeehaaawww" for most of Marvel insofar as overall presentation and whatnot?

Yeah I can see that.

Pak? Mmmm...we have his written books wherein he writes a Black superhero quite well indeed. And that's what he's fixin to do with STORM.

Pak has a proven POSITIVE history in this area. So...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he writes some garbage about Storm or somebody else of color.

He wrote that Green Guy purrty good...http://them0vieblog.com/2012/04/27/greg-paks-run-on-the-incredible-hulk-with-jeff-parker-fall-of-the-hulks-review/

And so did one of my favorite guys, Peter David, who is waaaaayyyy too overlooked. Peter David is an AMAZING talent.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2014, 06:36:18 pm »
>>>Sinjection1

Do they (these writers), truly seem familiar with interracial relationships...or are they more comfortable portraying such relationships because there is at least one white character - a character in their comfort zone - they can cling to? Maybe these writers feel that black-on-black violence sells, but black love repels.

combo of all 3. great eye, brutha
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2014, 06:40:47 pm »

Yeeeehaaaaaaaw!

yeeeehawwww.

And what hurts the most, is that there are still some amongst us who stay making endless excuses for what can only be described as being a sustained resistance to the portrayal of Black on Black heterosexual love within the 616 MU.

You get every single variation on love in the MU other than Black-on-Black but some amongst stay championing the X-office as being dedicated to diversity.

What a joke. :smh:

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2014, 06:47:18 pm »
Ugh! 
You're right...

Randall Park who plays Governor Chung on 'Veep' seems to be a lead character on that show you just posted.  The show doesn't appear to be as ground breaking as 'All American Girl'; At least Margaret Cho had guest stars on her show (Tarantino comes to mind).
Then here is some more bad news. Right now ABC has a comedy with pretty much every minority now

Fresh Off the Boat (Asians)
ABC's Fresh Off The Boat - Trailer

Blackish (Afro Americans)
ABC's black-ish - Trailer

Cristela (Latinos)
Cristela - Trailer (ABC Network)

Goldbergs (Jewish) on to a second season.
The Goldbergs (ABC) Trailer
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »
I'm one of the few on this board who openly acknowledges that I liked the STORM miniseries. My kids' mother likes the miniseries. My oldest daughter likes the miniseries [ she's 17 ]. All of her friends who've read my miniseries [ which my daughter took it upon herself to share without asking me to do so ] also like the miniseries.

Many comic fans were repulsed from jumpstreet, though. Did a lot of that repulsion have a lot to do with a combination of ignorance of, disrespect for, and racism and resentment toward Black Panther as the premier Black male superhero in comics?

Yes. There is no denying such. Even when the Storm fans first rushed HEF to besiege us, the inital purpose and interaction was definitely confrontational. And this is on top of the Three Headed Monsters and Lovecrafties of the world.

Okay. Let's look at the EJD sex scene. Because that's the real static that people have.

Is that disrespectful of the characters? No. However, when we project various AMERICAN VALUES upon it, will SOME PEOPLE get offended? Yes, of course.

Are AMERICAN VALUES the operating dominant moral compass of these AFRIKAN HEROES with deeper souls, and of lineagesat least 8000 years older than America is actually operating off of American values? No. There ya are. Stop being Ugly Americans.

And kill that statutory rape nonsense, because that's not the law in traditional Africa. Stop superimposing Americanized, Westernized morals and ignorance upon a much older and much more mature AFRIKAN NOT AMERICAN civilization. Before that? The people who had already decided to dislike the idea of the book and the marriage and these two characters who are clearly a terrific and nigh perfect match for each other actually could only hang their hat on the rather dubious and essentially substanceless argument that EJD didn't have TChalla get saved by Ororo.

Yeah. The Crown Prince of a civilization that's rockin Top 100 Tech in the galaxy...reeeaaaallllly doesn't need to be saved by a young lady who hasn't yet gotten a grip on her powers yet. Which brings me to this question here. Does the original story reflect the supergenius of TChalla? Would a GROWN ADULT SUPERGENIUS SUPERSTRATEGIST PRINCE of THE GREATEST HUMAN CIVILIZATION IN HUMAN HISTORY actually dress talk and act like this?

Hell naw. That's what's wrong with the whole original story, and that's why the whole original story needs to get retconned.

Would that same princeling on his Walkabout, seeking to hide his actual identity from easy visual determination, blending into the general masses and thus without his hypertech, retinue of servants warriors bodyguards powerful sorcerers etc...[ the Walkabout is an actual tradition in Africa which is similar to one of the Rites of Passage that we celebrate in my own family btw ]...dress and act like THIS, given the time period and the prevalent political climate of the world and Africa?

Yes.

That rendition is much more sensible and realistic.

He doesn't need to be saved by a girl who hasn't gotten a grip on her powers yet. And given the Marvel canon about mutant powers manifesting during the teenage years? That tack taken by EJD rings true, too. However. Once said young lady locks in her powers? Yeah. THE GALAXY needs to be saved by her. THE UNIVERSE TOO. Multiple times. And let's not forget...she saved an entire city, and a whole countryside...inclusive of TChalla...by the end of the book. And clowned her rival. With class, I might add.

She wasn't the slowest zebra anymore.

So yeah. The critics of the EJD miniseries? They all have different reasons for their repulsion...but. Bottom line? I think there's a lot of skipping of a lot of content in the miniseries in order to harp and imo blow out of proportion the sex scene and the fact that TChalla wasn't a D-Lister in need of help from anyone...and at that point in their lives? He SHOULD enjoy a PRONOUNCED advantage over Ororo, until her control of her powers kick in.

None of that stuff I mentioned gets addressed.

Let me tell you something else that the sex scene made clear: Black Love is still threatening to a lot of people in the LCBRD. It wasn't just bad enough that EJD showed that two teenagers who loved each other actually had sex [ because that NEVER happens across the world, across racial ethnic political class cultural and other lines; nope ] what really got their goat was that Ororo was ALSO bangin TChalla in RH's miniseries. Maxine Shaw once had a sig that read: "Ororo, Queen of Wakanda. She's Black AND F#ck!ng" or something to that effect.

And that reality liked to have scoured the flesh off of most people having a problem with The Marriage. Because these two being Black, Afrikan, unbowed, without needing any White character leading anything at all or even being anywhere at all in their general cast, more powerful than any married cape couple in Marvel history, and featured everywhere in the big crossover events...was just too much.

Despite all that shade, EJD still sold in the low to high 20k's. Had the shade been ameliorated even a little? He'd have hit round 40k monthly. And the BP ongoing would have hit even more.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2006/2006-03.html

Was Ororo playing second fiddle in the talks TChalla and Namor had? Nope. Was she less involved in the discussion than TChalla was? Yep. She did not know the real reason that TChalla joined The Avengers, so she couldn't act like she DID know something that SHE DID NOT know. However, it was she...not TChalla...who checked Namor. In Atlantis. In his throne room. And...uh...she was getting infinitely more shine, a much more prominent position, and possessed of far more relevancy MU wide as Queen of Wakanda than at any time she ever spent in the X-books. Literally. Not even CC got close to what Hudlin did for Ororo. Real talk.

This is how THEY introduced Storm:

Not from the unashamed mature humanity embracing body beautiful cultural perspective of Africa, but from the sexually titillating fetishist perspective dominant in the psyche of most White Americans and especially White young to middle age males at the time this pic was crafted.

With Reginald Hudlin...in 6 or so issues...RH had such far reaching impact that Ororo was featured in every major Marvel event and in multiple books that wouldn't even touch her before. At her most popular, under CC's pen? Storm was a NONENTITY outside of the X-books.

Reginald Hudlin, in the space of 6 issues, had Ororo doing more than the X-office had her do in nearly 20 years. When was the last time that Ororo squared off with someone Clor-like?

Yep. The Asgardian Wars. 20 or so years ago. Pause and let that marinate. TWENTY OR SO YEARS AGO. And remember? Loki CLOWNED HER with ONE MOVE. Didn't Claremont write that?  Yes, he did. Under Reginald Hudlin's pen? Storm backs down Iron Man when he shows up at the Wakandan Embassy trying to be a boss.

Under RH's pen, STORM DROPS CLOR WITH A EMP.

Now. Who's being the most appreciative of and respectful to Storm, again? Didn't THIS happen under Chris Claremont?

When you look at the substance of the work of RH and the benefits of Ororo being married to TChalla which afforded other writers the option to use Ororo too. Adn it's clear that everyone knows that Ororo is an equal partner in her marriage with TChalla. McDuffie wrote it...

RH wrote it...

And haters...who didn't read RH's book, mind you, for the most part...hated it with that special intensity that only abysmal ignorance can bring.

Don't forget. For the first time in world comic book history, we see a royal Black superheroic married couple traveling the cosmos WITHOUT having to rely on White folks for anything. We see at last this heterosexual couple frequently on panel together [ seriously, think back. When was the last time that you saw two Black superheroes together forming thee most powerful married couple in comics, both from The Big Two, both deeply in love and constantly shown on the same panel together. Supportive of each other. For not just pages or books but arcs and whole runs? Answer: NEVER EVER. None before RH. None after him ] showing them working together as a team that has not only the power to defeat enemies physically...

[ and you know that I can't pass up the fact that THIS pic giving TCHALLA vastly overdue props got the LCBRD hooowwwwlliiiing with hatred ]:

And THESE got shade, too, although not as much as the previous SS arm bar:

TChalla and Ororo also showed the brilliance resources strategic cunning teamwork and knowhow to pull leverage on powerful extraterrestrial entities

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5VgL6ZXwkaw/RhPANEbqteI/AAAAAAAAB_0/Nq9BXQJ5F4s/s1600/Fantastic%2BFour%2B544-2.JPG

queen Ororo is an equal above and everywhere else. She is NOT a cheerleader. She is NOT second fiddle. And she is presented as NOT being second fiddle by RH and everyone else who respects and "gets" the character.

So let's see. A guy who is in canon being shown having contingency plans to take on Galactus like Black Panther is...

Really ain't worried about Norrin Radd aka Silver Surfer, who owes his power to Galactus.

However, the LCBRD haaaateed on TChalla. Despite his capability in that regard being well well established in canon...buut they are cool with the idea of Hawkeye taking on Ultron

Now. When has Hawkeye EVER shown any aptitude or ability to take on Ultron?

I'm waiting.

Never? Thought so. But Hawkeye taking on Ultron is "cool". TChalla taking on SS is catches shade like the dark side of the moon.

Like sin and Sal said. Most of the static isn't rooted in legit issues dealing with legit characterization and story plot. Most of the rabid backlash comes from deep seated dual desires: to keep Ororo as 'their" exotic wallflower piece unsullied by any Black man, aaand "their" deep discomfort with TChalla because of who and what he is. Especially when a skilled Black scribe is writing him.

Ororo will catch a very similar level of intense shade when she permanently takes herself off of The Fetish Farm and establishes herself as a true Afrikan superhero who is every bit as much a mutant as she is regal, Afrakan, and unconquerable. Like Yost said...she doesn't have to choose between Worlds Apart. She symbolizes Worlds United.

Her LCBRD fanbase though? Not so much.

How did I miss this most excellent post.  8)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »

Yeeeehaaaaaaaw!

yeeeehawwww.

Greg Pak?

http://www.gregpak.com/war_machine/

The guy who took a overlooked Black tech armor guy and actually made him somebody unique with his own profile and removed him from being a knockoff Iron Man?

http://www.newsarama.com/1502-greasing-the-gears-greg-pak-talks-war-machine.html

Maybe not "yeehaaaw" for HIM. "Yeehaaawww" for most of Marvel insofar as overall presentation and whatnot?

Yeah I can see that.

Pak? Mmmm...we have his written books wherein he writes a Black superhero quite well indeed. And that's what he's fixin to do with STORM.

Pak has a proven POSITIVE history in this area. So...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he writes some garbage about Storm or somebody else of color.

He wrote that Green Guy purrty good...http://them0vieblog.com/2012/04/27/greg-paks-run-on-the-incredible-hulk-with-jeff-parker-fall-of-the-hulks-review/

And so did one of my favorite guys, Peter David, who is waaaaayyyy too overlooked. Peter David is an AMAZING talent.

Greg Pak's Planet Hulk moved me on an emotional level so there's no questioning of his writing acumen on my part.

What I do have a problem with is this.....

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2014, 07:14:30 pm »
My memory may be a little fuzzy, but...

Come to think of it...how many times has Storm gone up against and wiped out an entire "mean ol' human army", and not have said army be comprised of black men?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:17:32 pm by Booshman »