Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455753 times)

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2014, 04:14:38 pm »
Come to think of it...how many times has Storm gone up against and wiped out an entire evil human army (where you can see their faces), and not have said army be black men?

Most of this issue...

And a bunch more.

Just to bring the point home? The recent RoLo pairing and breakup ain't the first time they swapped spit.

I wasn't a major fan of it back then, either. I always thought she should be with TChalla, but moreso...as much as I liked Logan back then...I didn't think he's a good enough person for her. Back then, I couldn't shake the feeling that he'd have one berserker rage too many and he'd do something like this to her:

The weasel known as Logan has never been and never will be good enough for Storm. He literally stinks as a character, as evidenced as canon in a very recent X-Men book where Beast said he might be able to come up with a way to make the weasel have a less offensive odor.

Marvel saw fit to rip Ororo out of the arms of a black man who smelled great and throw her into the arms of a white man who smells like a dead wet dog. And now that THAT fling is kaput, they'll show her with her hand on Forge's shoulder, because, you know...

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2014, 04:42:24 pm »
My memory may be a little fuzzy, but...

Come to think of it...how many times has Storm gone up against and wiped out an entire "mean ol' human army", and not have said army be comprised of black men?

Never.

The X-writers stay showing their collective bigoted ass everytime.

You know what? I can't remember her wiping out a HUMAN army that didn't have Black people in it, either. My scans showed nonhumans. Hmmm.

I don't know about Storm taking out a normal human army of non-Blacks, but I know she's taken out the X-Men and "killed" Cyclops.

http://arousinggrammar.com/2013/04/23/storm-vs-everybody/

I have to add one more thing: X-Treme X-Men issue 1 (or 2), Storm took out an entire squad of the Guardia, a premier elite, secretive military force in Spain with an electromagnetic pulse. No Blacks in that group.

THANK YOU, Rutog98!!

I'm not sure what you're thanking dude for since he was only able to find ONE incidence of Storm bringing the pain to a non-black set of soldiers weighed against the multiple incidences of similar martial actions against a plethora of Black combatants leading up to this....

You know heads are scraping the bottom of the barrel in desperation to shore up a threadbare argument. :smh:

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2014, 04:55:19 pm »

The weasel known as Logan has never been and never will be good enough for Storm. He literally stinks as a character, as evidenced as canon in a very recent X-Men book where Beast said he might be able to come up with a way to make the weasel have a less offensive odor.

Marvel saw fit to rip Ororo out of the arms of a black man who smelled great and throw her into the arms of a white man who smells like a dead wet dog. And now that THAT fling is kaput, they'll show her with her hand on Forge's shoulder, because, you know...

Yeah, at least she's not with a Black man.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »
My memory may be a little fuzzy, but...

Come to think of it...how many times has Storm gone up against and wiped out an entire "mean ol' human army", and not have said army be comprised of black men?

Never.

The X-writers stay showing their collective bigoted ass everytime.

You know what? I can't remember her wiping out a HUMAN army that didn't have Black people in it, either. My scans showed nonhumans. Hmmm.

I don't know about Storm taking out a normal human army of non-Blacks, but I know she's taken out the X-Men and "killed" Cyclops.

http://arousinggrammar.com/2013/04/23/storm-vs-everybody/

I have to add one more thing: X-Treme X-Men issue 1 (or 2), Storm took out an entire squad of the Guardia, a premier elite, secretive military force in Spain with an electromagnetic pulse. No Blacks in that group.

THANK YOU, Rutog98!!

I'm not sure what you're thanking dude for since he was only able to find ONE incidence of Storm bringing the pain to a non-black set of soldiers weighed against the multiple incidences of similar martial actions against a plethora of Black combatants leading up to this....

You know heads are scraping the bottom of the barrel in desperation to shore up a threadbare argument. :smh:

That's not true. In Claremont's original telling of Storm and T'challa's meeting, who did she attack? She attacked White men who had no super powers at all thus interceding on T'challa's behalf. Also, in "God Loves, Man Kills 2", Storm, along with her team of X-Men, took out a group of militant-types.

Thing is this, when Storm/The X-Men go to predominately White nations, the threat is usually going to be a super powered individual since its the western nations (Europe and the US, especially) that are industrialized. This makes them bigger targets for super villains than the third world nations. I mean, why would Magneto attack the Congo? If I wanted to take over the world, I would target the US, Europe, China and places like that first. I would not even consider nations like Sudan, Congo, Nigeria, etc. They are not really huge threats to a villain with the power and ambition to truly try and take over the world. Once the big non-African countries fall, everything else is downhill from there (save Wakanda). So, the people who threaten the majority African nations are going to be people within the community there. In other words, local threats.

All that said, I think its nitpicky to try and take a shot at the writing in this matter. Overwhelmingly, Storm's adversaries are White regardless if they are powerless or not. Her personal nemesis are Candra (White), Callisto (White), Shadow King (psychic entity), Mystique (European, used to be Storm's nemesis back in the day), Emma Frost (back in the day),  Dracula (White), etc. Notice not one of them is Black. In the MU, there are far more White characters with superhuman powers than Black ones. So, when Storm encounters Black adversaries, they are usually going to be without powers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:09:15 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2014, 05:17:33 pm »

You know Ororo knew she was slumming when she was with the troll and that she felt shame for doing so.

How do I know this to be the case? Seeking assistance from Logan, the character Deadpool once walked into a bedroom which appeared to be occupied by the troll himself lying in bed among the rumpled bedclothes. There was no evidence that anyone else was in the room or in the bed with him. Once the conversation between Deadpool and Logan had ended with the troll refusing to assist Deadpool with his dilemna, Deadpool left the room but before doing so, greeted Ororo who had been hiding beneath the covers.

Ororo was ashamed to be seen under those circumstances dreading that Deadpool would surely know why she was in bed with stinky Logan and what they had been doing between those sheets, funky smelling sheets to be sure.

This was never the case when she was enjoying the ecstasy of the perks of wedded bliss with her ex-husband, T'Challa.

When Ororo made love with T'Challa everybody knew what was happening and Ororo couldn't have cared less about it. In fact, she probably wanted the world to know of her sensational sensual state of body and mind. When the Wakandan Royals made love to each other, the heavens themselves roared with delight. We would all shudder with horror contemplating what manner of noises were emitted during post-coital RoLo activity.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 01, 2014, 05:25:11 pm »

*sigh* I really didn't want to talk about this, but I will. The whole Ororo/Logan pairing did not come out of left field. Storm fans have been clamoring for years for these two to get together. I have always been against this pairing for reasons I have already discussed at length on this board. For Wolverine, Jean Grey will always be his first pick, though he is NOT her first pick. If he were her first pick, she would have married him instead of Cyclops. Pairing Storm (or any woman) with Logan makes her a consolation prize. She's too good of a character for that. One of the reasons I was open to the idea of Storm and BP being rushed into marriage is prior to that, she and Logan were going on dates and stuff.  They were not yet an item as she was also going on dates with Nightcrawler, but the risk of her being with Logan loomed on the horizon for me. I don't want that. When Panther and Storm broke up, Marvel simply resumed the budding relationship that was brewing between Storm and Logan (Nightcrawler was dead at the time...he's gotten over that now, lol) and put a twist on it to jab a Panther. This was done not because Panther is Black, but because there was a certain enmity between the two men concerning Ororo's affections. So, pairing Storm with Logan had multiple uses for Marvel. 1) It would appease much of the Storm fanbase who hated the marriage and have wanted Storm and Logan to get together since WAY before a Storm/Panther marriage was even a concept. 2) There was already a foundation for the two of them to date prior to the marriage plus they share a long and profound friendship which is always good to build a relationship off of. 3) It adds a touch of drama/interest for those who follow Storm/Logan as it brings up the enmity between the two men. 4) Its a good way of letting readers know that the marriage is truly over because of reasons 2 and 3 on my list.

Pairing Storm with Logan has nothing to do with Marvel wanting her to be with "anybody but Black." If that were the case, they would not have allowed to marriage to happen in the first place. Even when sales were dipping on the title, they tried to preserve the marriage and title by bringing on Maberry. The focus on Shuri was the final nail in the coffin as that killed any hope the book/marriage had of rebounding.

All that said, it's out of character for Storm to just go into a relationship so soon after the break up. She's very slow to give her heart. Despite her and Logan going on dates prior to the marriage, it wasn't very serious at all. I still maintain that Logan is just the rebound guy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:10:12 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »
That's a whole lot of goal post moving, it's literally outside the stadium now

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 01, 2014, 06:35:25 pm »

*sigh* I really didn't want to talk about this, but I will. The whole Ororo/Logan pairing did not come out of left field. Storm fans have been clamoring for years for these two to get together. I have always been against this pairing for reasons I have already discussed at length on this board. For Wolverine, Jean Grey will always be his first pick, though he is NOT her first pick. If he were her first pick, she would have married him instead of Cyclops. Pairing Storm (or any woman) with Logan makes her a consolation prize. She's too good of a character for that. One of the reasons I was open to the idea of Storm and BP being rushed into marriage is prior to that, she and Logan were going on dates and stuff.  They were not yet an item as she was also going on dates with Nightcrawler, but the risk of her being with Logan loomed on the horizon for me. I don't want that. When Panther and Storm broke up, Marvel simply resumed the budding relationship that was brewing between Storm and Logan (Nightcrawler was dead at the time...he's gotten over that now, lol) and put a twist on it to jab a Panther. This was done not because Panther is Black, but because there was a certain enmity between the two men concerning Ororo's affections. So, pairing Storm with Logan had multiple uses for Marvel. 1) It would appease much of the Storm fanbase who hated the marriage and have wanted Storm and Logan to get together since WAY before a Storm/Panther marriage was even a concept. 2) There was already a foundation for the two of them to date prior to the marriage plus they share a long and profound friendship which is always good to build a relationship off of. 3) It adds a touch of drama/interest for those who follow Storm/Logan as it brings up the enmity between the two men. 4) Its a good way of letting readers know that the marriage is truly over because of reasons 2 and 3 on my list.

Pairing Storm with Logan has nothing to do with Marvel wanting her to be with "anybody but Black." If that were the case, they would not have allowed to marriage to happen in the first place. Even when sales were dipping on the title, they tried to preserve the marriage and title by bringing on Maberry. The focus on Shuri was the final nail in the coffin as that killed any hope the book/marriage had of rebounding.

All that said, it's out of character for Storm to just go into a relationship so soon after the break up. She's very slow to give her heart. Despite her and Logan going on dates prior to the marriage, it wasn't very serious at all. I still maintain that Logan is just the rebound guy.

The fact is that for DECADES Marvel has been pairing Storm up with numerous white men. That is the OVERALL picture here. I already know WHY Marvel does what it does...right nowI'm looking at the company DOING IT in the first place.

You could come up with a million reasons why Marvel enjoys having its black female characters in romantic relationships with white male characters and at the end of the day, the fact remains that Marvel is purposely keeping black women and black men apart, just like DC Comics does, and just like movies and television do. White men think about white men having sex with any ethnic female on Earth, and Storm to them is no exception.

If you were REALLY paying attention, you would have noticed this.

And what are your excuses for Misty Knight? Oya/Idie?

And what are your excuses for the black male characters at Marvel who are in relationships (if they are in relationships at all) with women who AREN'T black? Luke Cage? Falcon? Miles Morales?

And isn't it odd how Christopher Priest and Reginald Hudlin (two black men) wanted to put Storm and Black Panther together (Priest was told he couldn't and Hudlin was told he could a few years later), but any white writer putting Storm in romantic situations ALWAYS put her with white men (aside from Forge)?

Claremont started the romance thing between Storm and BP, but of course under him the romance never went anywhere and they were supposed to have parted, and years later when they met again they parted as "just friends." Then decades later when Claremont wrote that X-Men Forever crap, he had Storm kill Black Panther.

Isn't it also odd how AFTER Hudlin was no longer writing Black Panther, Marvel immediately did everything they could to keep Storm and Black Panther apart and THEN purposely destroyed the marriage, AFTER WHICH STORM IMMEDIATELY HOPPED INTO BED WITH another white man AFTER she was shown to be physically attacking her then-still husband?

Again, let's look at what Marvel has been doing to Storm for DECADES, and continues to do to her AFTER her marriage to a black man.

Also, Shuri had NOTHING to do with Storm and Black Panther's marriage being destroyed or rebounding. Storm and Black Panther could have been shown to go on a second honeymoon somewhere outside of Wakanda and Shuri could have still been in charge of the country, so I don't see your point about that at all.

The marriage "failed" because Marvel WANTED IT to, just like they WANTED Spider-Man's marriage to fail, and just like Marvel WANTS the Susan/Reed Richards marriage to succeed.

And your statements about how fans wanted to see Storm and the weasel hook up just shows that a LOT of Storm fans would rather have Storm under white men than a black man (Thor, Weasel-man, Nightcrawler, Namor, Cyclops, Dracula, etc. etc.) And your response just shows that Marvel caters to that type of crap.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:48:42 pm by moneyspider »

APEXABYSS

« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2014, 06:53:45 pm »
lol - the new black woman- solo title- wow

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2014, 12:25:11 am »

And what are your excuses for Misty Knight? Oya/Idie?

You forgot Frenzy, Dani Moonstar (Native American, but still), and Cecelia Reyes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:27:04 am by Booshman »

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2014, 04:30:12 am »
The evidence is irrefutable. When it's a white X-writer, the skin hues of Ororo's..."love interests" are going to be as American as apple pie: Red - Forge, White - Slipstream, Wolverine, Dracula, Gambit (lust interest rather than love interest in this case), Arkon..., and Blue - Nightcrawler and Khan.

And, so what?

This irrefutable evidence is irrelevant to Storm's enablers and much of the LCBRD. Black female mutants worship, are wooed (or either throw themselves at), white male mutant characters... and if the X-writer is so moved, that black female character is bedded (never wedded), and even impregnated by the white male character she is depicted as being smitten with. Black male mutants don't get no love. David Alleyne/Surge was brief but now that he's bisexual and no longer one of those repugnant heterosexual black males, he might be tolerated by that X-crowd. Bishop and Sage once prepared and ate a meal together, but he never got up to bat with Sage while most of Ororo's red, white, and blue lovers have hit for the cycle with Wolverine slamming (no pun intended), homerun after homerun, after homerun...before running off to die, be resurrected and find love in the arms of a white woman to eventually flaunt in Ororo's face in the not too distant future.

Not one white X-writer to my knowledge has ever even hinted at establishing an intimate relationship between Ororo and a so-called black character, mutant or otherwise. X-fans might hold their noses, ignore the long-running relationship between Gambit and Rogue, and argue that an intimate relationship between Gambit and Ororo makes more sense than pairing Ororo with T'Challa. Gambit and Ororo are both mutants and thieves. They have "a lot in common". On the other hand, the only things Ororo and T'Challa have in common is their shared "black" African heritage. Hooking those two characters up on the basis of such a flimsy connection is lazy at best and racist at worst. The X-fan's dream scenario where matters of Ororo's and T'Challa's intimacy is concerned: Ororo should be involved with male and female lovers, preferrably mutant and non-black. T'Challa should stop fighting the feeling and surrender to his latent homosexual urges or die, have salt sprinkled on him so he never rises again.

Rick Rememder wrote a fine Doctor Voodoo. The book's artwork was very nice. Where Maberry had Dr Doom disgrace and defeat T'Challa in hand-to-hand combat, Rememder's Doctor Voodoo defeated Dr Doom with a punch to the nose, knocking Doom on his behind and telling him to "go home". Doom obsequiously complied. The LCBRD didn't much like the fact that "Brother Voodoo" had become "Doctor Voodoo", the Sorceror Supreme. They wanted the return of Dr. Strange. What the LCBRD wants, they get. Dr. Strange is alive and kicking. Dr. Voodoo has kicked the bucket.

Storm's fans have engaged in some pathetic campaign of saturation promotion of her ongoing series. Laughable  :)
If not for my respect for Supreme Illuminati, I would not be purchasing the two issues of the book I've committed to buying. If there is any justice, two issues of the ongoing is all I'll need to buy. If this endeavor proves to be just another "old home week tour" where she encounters the same moldy mutants she's always known, I hope the book's death is as quick as Doctor Voodoo's series was...and as permanent as his character's death seems to be.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:37:53 am by sinjection1 »
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2014, 04:31:29 am »
lol - the new black woman- solo title- wow

.....yipe.  :-\

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2014, 04:48:16 am »
And your statements about how fans wanted to see Storm and the weasel hook up just shows that a LOT of Storm fans would rather have Storm under white men than a black man (Thor, Weasel-man, Nightcrawler, Namor, Cyclops, Dracula, etc. etc.) And your response just shows that Marvel caters to that type of crap.

"weasel man"...now where have I seen that term used before?.....Oh, I know. It's what I used to call that short, furry, stinking, cigar-smoking, hard liquor-swilling, foul fool of a mutant sporting the Elvis Presley sideburns and Bozo the Clown haircut while doing battle with the CBR X-board mental asylum. Using it got me into trouble, banned and told not to use it again. In return, those "crazy kids" of the opposition had to stop posting Ru Paul = Ororo pics.

"weasel man". Good to see the term still in circulation.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2014, 05:32:31 am »
Let's not derail thread on that dumbsh*t picture that was floating around. It'll provide a weapon on a tirade on why black women are leaving black men again.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:12 am »
I don't know that the picture derails the thread as much as it might perfectly dovetail into the very topic.

What are some reservations to have against purchasing the Storm ongoing given what we know?

Mutants, once a fresh and different concept, have become dull and downright disgusting. A section of their fan base much like the characters they are devoted to, have mutated themselves into a militant phalanx of flamboyant, flaming fools; an idiot society of self-entitled bigoted boors and bullies. Once, a mutant could have been anybody, any gender, any race; any ethnicity. Because of the inordinate patronage of a certain-thinking type of fanbase, the definition of who can be a mutant and who a mutant can associate with has been narrowed. Like weeds, that fanbase has choked out the flowers of an entertaining concept and perverted it into what it is today. Mutants are boring and under the guise of defending themselves from persecution, have become the worse sort of bigoted characters since the Azanians whose super soldiers T'Challa fought and defeated without the assistance of the panther god who'd abandoned him.

What does that picture show? A white couple, smiling and happy with their baby and a lone black woman, smiling and happy with her baby but bereft of her black male companion, the co-author of the child she's carrying around in that sack.

What has the X-Men become through a series of strange, consistent, and insidious story-writing decisions. It has become a concept where black female mutants thrive and black male mutants rarely survive. Unless that black female mutant hooks up with a white male mutant, that picture is an exacting representation of Marvel mutant "reality". Jean Grey & Cyclops; Emma Frost & Cyclops; Polaris & Havok; Prof X & Moira MacTaggert; Banshee & Madrox; Ororo and T'Challa...oops. And if not for Logan and the red, white, and blue stable of studs the X-writers seem to prefer bouncing on Storm, she would be as alone as the black woman in that picture.

Now it appears Ororo has a daughter she didn't know she had. She probably doesn't remember being alone carrying the child around in a bag all by herself while the white couple - man, woman, baby in the bag and smiling - stood next to her. Ororo probably doesn't know who the father of her daughter is although she appears to be black and is seen in the company of a huge black panther-cat. The girl's appearance should be enough to convince anyone that T'Challa is her father but that mutated fanbase, that  idiot society of self-entitled bigoted boors and bullies...the ISSBB, hates T'Challa so much that they can look at that woman's black skin, see her in the company of that huge panther-cat and still find reason to claim and to hope that Logan, not T'Challa, is the father.

So the reasons why some might not be too willing to purchase the Storm ongoing are likely these: mutant characters have become boring. their fanbase has become a miasma of incorrigible, self-entitled bigots who believe the world revolves around them and their mutants, and add to these, the dearth of a black male presence. Ororo is going around the world, toppling corrupt governments and making the world a better place for you and me. She couldn't beat Dracula by herself. She took him on and found herself swooning in his arms, the same way in her battle with Thor in Contest Of The Champions, she found herself swooning in his arms, kissed into submission, tiny hearts shooting from her head as conciousness left her body. How is Storm expected to topple corrupt governments by herself? She's going to need help of some sort. If that help comes in the form of the "If you're white, you're alright; if you're yellow or brown, stick around, but if you're black, get back" totem pole, those of us who have reservations against supporting the Storm ongoing for that reason will be shown correct and the picture posted will be apropo.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:21:04 am by sinjection1 »