Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455799 times)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »
1) What Pak's goal is with the "Storm" ongoing is to make Storm the Marvel equivalent of DC's Superman.
Decided not to read any further once I have noticed that.

That's the impression I got from some of the interviews. Just like Superman is the icon of DC, I think Pak wants to make Storm the icon of Marvel.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2014, 06:56:36 pm »
*sigh*

The icon of MARVEL is Spider-Man.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 07, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »
*sigh*

...for now. :) I'm rooting for Pak on this.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #378 on: July 07, 2014, 09:47:06 pm »
Bottom line? Anything that elevates STORM from the miasma that's she's in now?

YAAAAYYYY!!

There ya go.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2014, 03:35:32 am »
1) What Pak's goal is with the "Storm" ongoing is to make Storm the Marvel equivalent of DC's Superman.
Decided not to read any further once I have noticed that.

That's the impression I got from some of the interviews. Just like Superman is the icon of DC, I think Pak wants to make Storm the icon of Marvel.
Sorry bro Marvel wont allow a character whom don't even have her own movie to be the "star" of their brand. The brand has existed for more than 75 years and the bulk of it was spiderman. Pak can write as well all he wants. He did excellent work with Hulk that eventually led to a crossover event. After that the Hulk been a joke once he left. It takes decades before one can even claim a title such as that.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 08, 2014, 06:13:56 am »
*sigh*

...for now. :) I'm rooting for Pak on this.

Writers don't determine Icons;  actually no one pre-determines Icons.  Do you think when they created Wolverine, they ever intended him to be one of Marvel's top 5 characters?  Nope.  If Byrne didn't save him from the chopping block, he would have entered limbo long before he ever became popular.

Characters become Icons when a number of things just happened to come together.  For Wolverine, one of the things that happened was the advent of the Anti-hero hit at perfect time for Wolverine.  But that wasn't the only thing.  So many things have to come together.

All Pak can do is just write his best.  Becoming an Icon is really out of his hands.  Actually, trying to write her to make her an Icon will probably kill the title.  And maybe even destroy the character, because in today's comic world, shock-value is one of the main ways to make a title and character stand out of the crowd.

And you really don't want him to use shock-value to make her an icon.

And it is also possible that making her an icon would destroy her.  Batman, Superman, Wolverine; none of them look like their original incarnations.  Batman and Superman used to be willing to kill.  Wolverine has become "safe" (I mean, really, could you ever imagine the original and early versions of Wolverine being placed in the role of headmaster of a school?) 

It would be just better that he writes the best he can and let the cards land where they land without trying to make (another) mark with her.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 08, 2014, 12:05:26 pm »
This is what Storm will be doing in her book:

Thief. Goddess. Headmistress. Queen. The X-Man called STORM has always defied a single title. And her desire to better the world has never been limited to only her own kind. On a mission to foster goodwill and safeguard the mutant race's continued existence in her own way, Storm will travel the globe, confronting man and mutant, god and monster and everything inbetween. She will overthrow tyrants, quell tsunamis and strive to see her dream for the world realized. She is STORM, a hero like no other....and the skies will tremble at the sight of their namesake.

There's nothing of "shock value" in there. Pak is simply going to write her in character and simply expand her role in the larger MU. In the X-World, Storm IS iconic. Pak sees her as kind of the "Superman" of the X-Men world. I don't think he's far off the mark with that. He wants to simply expose her to the larger MU,  I think, and have her character shine making her Marvel's "Superman". Her character is already rich enough and her powers are epic. All he has to do is build on that foundation and not restrict her only to the X-World.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »
This is what Storm will be doing in her book:

Thief. Goddess. Headmistress. Queen. The X-Man called STORM has always defied a single title. And her desire to better the world has never been limited to only her own kind. On a mission to foster goodwill and safeguard the mutant race's continued existence in her own way, Storm will travel the globe, confronting man and mutant, god and monster and everything inbetween. She will overthrow tyrants, quell tsunamis and strive to see her dream for the world realized. She is STORM, a hero like no other....and the skies will tremble at the sight of their namesake.

There's nothing of "shock value" in there. Pak is simply going to write her in character and simply expand her role in the larger MU. In the X-World, Storm IS iconic. Pak sees her as kind of the "Superman" of the X-Men world. I don't think he's far off the mark with that. He wants to simply expose her to the larger MU,  I think, and have her character shine making her Marvel's "Superman". Her character is already rich enough and her powers are epic. All he has to do is build on that foundation and not restrict her only to the X-World.

You do realize if he goes the route of shock value,  they aren't going to tell you about it before it happens.   Or shock value is used if sales aren't high enough.   Writing her well, good.  Trying to make "the next big thing",  can be dangerous.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2014, 02:44:19 pm »
That set up is hilarious, "she's out to show she's not just about her own kind.........but the stories will be based all on mutant plight"

Bazinga for real

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »
That set up is hilarious, "she's out to show she's not just about her own kind.........but the stories will be based all on mutant plight"

Bazinga for real

Pak's vision of Storm sounds just as X-centric as anything else that's emanated from out've the X-office.

There's virtually nothing about his approach to her soon to be released solo venture that indicates that Pak will be departing too far from the same insulting memes and faux minority aesthetic that's informed much of the X-books published history over the last few decades.

As I've said before, as long as he leaves T'Challa out of this latest foray into the world of the faux goddess, I'll be quite happy.

We don't need any of that X-crement derailing the BP mythos anymore than has been the case in the recent past.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2014, 04:03:51 pm »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   Surround her by a new cast of characters. The only X character that should show up early is her daughter, and that is only because she is family. Have other non X heroes show up and give her new villains.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   Surround her by a new cast of characters. The only X character that should show up early is her daughter, and that is only because she is family. Have other non X heroes show up and give her new villains.

He's going to create a rogues gallery for Storm as well as new characters for her supporting cast. He will, of course, include some of her friends, X-friends and otherwise.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2014, 05:12:22 pm »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   

:D ....maybe near her family.... :D

What family?  ;D
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2014, 06:23:58 pm »
If they really wanted to make Storm transcend the X-Universe,  this is what I would do.   Move her out of X- housing into a place on her own, maybe near her family.   

What family?  ;D

The one that is being created as you type this!  ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2014, 06:45:53 pm »

What family?  ;D

The one that is being created as you type this!  ;)

I was thinking of the family Reggie introduced us to.    Hmmm....thinking about it, since mutants seem to run in families, it seems she should have a mutant cousin or two.