Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455760 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #420 on: July 12, 2014, 08:33:43 am »
I wish I could trade wait on some books. Would make storing them a lot simpler.

yeah sometimes I want to trade my singles for TPB because they're easier to store

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2014, 08:45:12 am »
I have been able to give myself more storage space as of the last month. A new boss in another department at my job learned that I create comics and we were talking about comics for kids and how rare it Is these days to find fun comics for kids. His son loves Spider-Man. I gave his son at least 50 single issues from my old Spidy collection that I deemed safe and fun for 10-13 year olds. Comics can be to dark these days to get the younger audiences attached. So I got some more to dig through. Gotta convert em into a comics fan early!

Got to make room for that newer stuff that I support!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:47:27 am by BlanXs »

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2014, 12:34:52 pm »
Instead of continuously posting images of Storm getting bashed in the face with Valkyrie's hammer and continuously posting negative images of Storm that we can just about all AGREE ON that these were not good looks for her character, can we PLEASE START POSTING POSITIVE IMAGES OF STORM?

The continuous posting of negative images just reinforces everything we see as wrong with the X-Office, but the more these negative images are continuously posted, the more negativity they will create, and the more these negative images invite the vocal bashing of Storm in this thread and several other threads on this site. I can understand the critiques and criticisms of how her character has been handled by various white writers and editors in the past, but a lot of this is still teetering in the territory of bashing Storm as though she is a real flesh-and-blood woman who made her own bizarre life choices as opposed to several white writers and several white editors MAKING her go down the paths they have shown her embarking on.

This is one of the MAIN problems with how Africans and African Americans are depicted...there are way too many negative images of us being floated around and posted, and there aren't enough POSITIVE images or depictions of us continuously being posted.

Instead if us gleefully posting images of Storm (a fictional African woman) getting her ass kicked, perhaps we should refrain from doing that, because we sure wouldn't be gleefully posting images of Black Panther (a fictional African man) getting his ass kicked, and laughing about it.

I think I've said this before, but the Black Panther fan base is slowly but surely becoming just like the many Storm fans who dislike Black Panther, only a lot of the Black Panther fan base seems to dislike Storm because of stuff that past WRITERS and EDITORS did, and not because of something that the CHARACTERS actually did themselves, as though they are real people in real life.

I think the amount of venom spewed from both fan bases (against the other fan base's favorite character) over the years over CHARACTERS WHO DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST is atrocious and doesn't help or solve anything...it just makes matters worse.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:01:16 pm by moneyspider »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2014, 12:53:17 pm »
Instead of continuously posting images of Storm getting bashed in the face with Valkyrie's hammer and continuously posting negative images of Storm that we can just about all AGREE ON that these were not good looks for her character, can we PLEASE START POSTING POSITIVE IMAGES OF STORM?

The continuous posting of negative images just reinforces everything we see as wrong with the X-Office, but the more these negative images are continuously posted, the more negativity they will create, and the more these negative images invite the vocal bashing of Storm in this thread and several other threads on this site. I can understand the critiques and criticisms of how her character has been hanled by various white writers and editors in the past, but a ot of this is still teetering in the territory of bashing Storm as though she is a real flesh-and-blood woman.

This is one of the MAIN problems with how Africans and African Americans are depicted...there are way too many negative images of us being floated around and posted, and there aren't enough POSITIVE images or depictions of us continuously being posted.
Then create them.

Here is something for some good measure.

This happened last night. It is the second annual men unity march in baltimore. I was in the back doing security patrol

I have access to tons of these.

It is out there. We just have to create it. There is nothing else to it. I do not accept that point I will never accept it. That victim crap has to end.

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

The continuous posting of negative images just reinforces everything we see as wrong with the X-Office, but the more these negative images are continuously posted, the more negativity they will create, and the more these negative images invite the vocal bashing of Storm in this thread and several other threads on this site. I can understand the critiques and criticisms of how her character has been hanled by various white writers and editors in the past, but a ot of this is still teetering in the territory of bashing Storm as though she is a real flesh-and-blood woman.

Then create them.

Here is something for some good measure.

This happened last night. It is the second annual men unity march in baltimore. I was in the back doing security patrol

I have access to tons of these.

It is out there. We just have to create it. There is nothing else to it. I do not accept that point I will never accept it. That victim crap has to end.

I send Marvel Entertainment positive images of black people every chance I get.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »
I have been able to give myself more storage space as of the last month. A new boss in another department at my job learned that I create comics and we were talking about comics for kids and how rare it Is these days to find fun comics for kids. His son loves Spider-Man. I gave his son at least 50 single issues from my old Spidy collection that I deemed safe and fun for 10-13 year olds. Comics can be to dark these days to get the younger audiences attached. So I got some more to dig through. Gotta convert em into a comics fan early!

Comics where dark back in the day as well

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:14 pm »
What does this achieve exactly? It does nothing. I refuse to even attempt to get on a bus where I am not wanted. I would rather walk. Based on what they have done historically I'm good.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2014, 01:30:55 pm »

The continuous posting of negative images just reinforces everything we see as wrong with the X-Office, but the more these negative images are continuously posted, the more negativity they will create, and the more these negative images invite the vocal bashing of Storm in this thread and several other threads on this site. I can understand the critiques and criticisms of how her character has been handled by various white writers and editors in the past, but a lot of this is still teetering in the territory of bashing Storm as though she is a real flesh-and-blood woman who made her own bizarre life choices as opposed to several white writers and several white editors MAKING her go down the paths they have shown her embarking on.

Instead if us gleefully posting images of Storm (a fictional African woman) getting her ass kicked, perhaps we should refrain from doing that, because we sure wouldn't be gleefully posting images of Black Panther (a fictional African man) getting his ass kicked, and laughing about it.

I think I've said this before, but the Black Panther fan base is slowly but surely becoming just like the many Storm fans who dislike Black Panther, only a lot of the Black Panther fan base seems to dislike Storm because of stuff that past WRITERS and EDITORS did, and not because of something that the CHARACTERS actually did themselves, as though they are real people in real life.

I think the amount of venom spewed from both fan bases (against the other fan base's favorite character) over the years over CHARACTERS WHO DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST is atrocious and doesn't help or solve anything...it just makes matters worse.

Meanwhile those who like to say they're fans of both like to try and talk down to everybody else while supporting current writers and editors who like the folks before them ain't worth a damn either and neither is this character who's only significance now that we are to "see as golden and what makes a character awesome" is a mohawk and the ability to electrocute folks with a tan

Storm aka the comic book version of Condi Rice

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »

Comics where dark back in the day as well

Oh no doubt. I looked through them though before giving to him; making sure that weren't to dark. Some of them were Spider-Man Adventures, Chapter One and such.

I'm just happy to spread the love of comics to kids. They are the ones who are gonna keep the industry alive. Every year I go to three different comic stores for Free Comic Day to get the 'fun' comics and give them to my younger cousins. They love em.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:38:30 pm by BlanXs »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2014, 04:17:51 pm »

Bro, I love and respect you both for your forthrightness and steadfast support for Black Unity but get this, I post what I want, however and wherever I want becaue regardless of how positive YOU personally choose to comport yourself where this T'Challa/Ororo business is concerned, the disrespect T'Challa and Wakanda Train never comes late from the haters station.

This still remains a pure Black Panther Mythos forum and not an offshoot of the X-Men Koolaid sipping lunatic fringe division over on CBR and similarly themed forums/message boards.

I'm not interested in breaking bread with any X-fan or writer instrumental in disrespecting the BP mythos and as such, will always blast back with zero remorse when provoked with BS.

I have zero interest in building bridges with a fanbase and writers who come across more like members of the Tea Party.

Peace.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »
I'm not interested in breaking bread with any X-fan or writer instrumental in disrespecting the BP mythos and as such, will always blast back with zero remorse when provoked with BS.

I have zero interest in building bridges with a fanbase and writers who come across more like members of the Tea Party.

Peace.

This! ALL OF THIS!

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2014, 06:17:34 pm »

Peace.

This! ALL OF THIS!

With both barrels even.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »

In this topic alone I've seen two flattering/positive images of Storm; one included in a post by Marvelous, the other in a post by Apexabyss. Then there are the unlettered page preview for the ongoing featuring Ororo dispatching a cadre of armed men with frightfully-impressive ease. This last may get at the conundrum which gives rise to your observation: the Black Panther fan base is slowly but surely becoming just like the many Storm fans who dislike Black Panther, only a lot of the Black Panther fan base seems to dislike Storm because of stuff that past WRITERS and EDITORS did, and not because of something that the CHARACTERS actually did themselves, as though they are real people in real life. This statement is part fallacy and part fact.

Speaking for myself and from what I've observed: "...the Black Panther fan base is slowly but surely becoming just like the many Storm fans who dislike Black Panther..." I respectfully disagree. From a character's standpoint - general appearance, powerset and potential - I would feel confident in saying Storm is favorably regarded by the HEF. "..., only a lot of the Black Panther fan base seems to dislike Storm because of stuff that past WRITERS and EDITORS did,..." Yes and ...not yes  :) I think that when some of us have posted something suggesting that Ororo was a "nut bucket", or seeming to ridicule her by name for sitting in the little chair beside the large, imposing desk of authority where Wolverine was sitting, we weren't showing a dislike for Storm or blaming her directly for beginning sexual relations with Logan almost immediately after her annulled MARRIAGE or for showing something of a subservience by sitting in the small chair rather than the big desk. Referring to Ororo as if she were entirely to blame for this foolishness was something like a "shorthand method" of saying what we really thought and what comprises the "yes" portion of your statement. We weren't blaming Storm. She's a fictional comicbook character who exists because writers, editors, and illustrators bring her to life. We are therefore, blaming the writers, editors, and illustrators for the things we dislike in their depiction of Storm's character.

So, to the conundrum I mentioned earlier. There are those who looking at how easily Storm dispatched that armed force confronting her in the preview pages would regard those images as powerful and positive images of Storm's character. Then there are those of US who see this confrontation as a continuation of the x-writer's preference where Storm's interaction with black people - and black males in particular - is concerned. One person's treasured positive image of Ororo in action is another person's trashy negative image of white writer's depicting Ororo beating the hell out of black men yet another time.

The continuous posting of negative images just reinforces everything we see as wrong with the X-Office,

Yes it does, and quite nicely too.

but the more these negative images are continuously posted, the more negativity they will create,

I wouldn't put it past a smarty-pants writer who might happen to look in on the HEF from time to time and who upon viewing any negative image and accompanying derisive commentary to decide to troll us a bit by injecting more of the very type of activity we find distasteful into his/her stories. How many heterosexual black male mutants survive in the x-verse? How many of those enjoy exposure or a relationship with a female? How many bisexual or heterosexual black males have we seen in the x-verse while black female mutants like Joanna Cargill and Monet St Croix crave the attention of white male mutants? Do you remember what happened between Quentin Quire and the black male mutant "Slick"? Do you remember what "Slick's" girlfriend's reaction was after that incident?

Now, is it really fair to ask us to play nice with people who want to play us?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:36:13 pm by sinjection1 »
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2014, 09:26:25 pm »

Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2014, 11:18:43 am »
What does this achieve exactly? It does nothing. I refuse to even attempt to get on a bus where I am not wanted. I would rather walk. Based on what they have done historically I'm good.

You are ASSUMING it does nothing. Have you ever tried it? If you did try it and you didn't get immediate results, you have to realize that the changes are not going to be immediate because we are battling DECADES of racist behaviors, racist ideas and racist attitudes, so the change WE WANT is not going to happen overnight.

If you DIDN'T try it, then how are you qualified to sit there and assume it won't achieve anything?

Does posting negative images of black people on message boards achieve anything, other than more negativity? Continuously posting negative images of fictional black women getting hit with hammers is not going to create positivity, because how would it?

Sending positive imagery of black people to Marvel will get THEM used to seeing positive images if black people, and if THEY continue seeing positive images of black people on a CONTINUOUS basis, then HOPEFULLY change will come for the better for all non-white readers, because hopefully Marvel will get the hint and start portraying ALL non-white fictional characters in the same way that they feature the majority of their white fictional characters...IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE.

But I realize all of this requires FAITH, POSITIVITY and OPTIMISM, which a lot of people in the comic book reading-public and a lot of people on message boards DO NOT HAVE, because their first immediate reaction is to be pessimistic and always expect the worst, but keep complaining when the worst happens because they refuse to do what is necessary to TRY and change things for the better.

It's always easy to be pessimistic, and negative, and to assume the worst, and to assume such-and-such method to try and change things for the better won't work, and to assume reaching out to companies to express our displeasure won't work, and to laugh and ridicule fictional black women for the ways in which they are written by white men and handled by white editors, but it requires a lot more patience, dedication, perseverance and a tough, unwielding, relentless mindset to do the dirty work and do what actually needs to be done in order for POSITIVE, PERMANENT changes to the comic book industry to happen in terms of how non-white characters are portrayed.

It seems that it's always easier for a lot of people to spew hatred and venom at fictional black characters (male or female, for a variety of reasons) then to band together and support as many fictional black characters as they can. Even if we don't like the current direction in which non-white characters are being taken, we could still try to support these non-white characters and demand that they be taken in better directions, directions in which non-white characters aren't pitted against other non-white characters and have non-white comic book readers bashing fictional black women every chance they get.

The overall big picture is, if you want things to change, then you have to BE THE CHANGE and do what's necessary to change things instead of bickering, snickering, spewing hatred for fictional black women when we all know the same would NOT be done for a majority of fictional black men. Constantly complaining on message boards to people WHO ALREADY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE changes nothing...it just reminds comic book readers what the problems are and just keeps feeding negativity. It's more logical to CONSTANTLY COMPLAIN TO THE COMPANIES THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTANTLY CAUSING THE PROBLEMS.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:28:59 am by moneyspider »