Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 462913 times)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #480 on: July 15, 2014, 12:58:26 am »
You are not helping your cause at all by pulling up instances that devalue Storm. She could have dodged that blast from War Machine, or deflected it (she's deflected optic blasts, telekinesis and other things), or even take him out of the fight with any one of the other aspects of her elemental powers. She can control the air, heat, pressure inside of people's bodies. What's to stop her from evacuating the air from his lungs in that scan? She could have used a whirlwind to spin him like a tornado top to keep him off balance and disoriented. She could have dashed him against the ground and mountain sides, etc over and over again with tremendous force via her winds without giving him anytime to recover until he passes out. Her winds can punch objects through mountains, strain Magneto's powers to the utmost, redirect the full power of Sienna Blaze (it was stated in that same issue with Sienna Blaze that Sienna has the power to split the Earth like a ripe melon), etc. She could have simply made the power in the suit go away with a thought just like she did to a skrull spaceship. With a mere thought, she made the power that energized the ship go away. Storm can control the internal temperature of matter. I have seen her drop the internal temperature within objects 200 degrees instantaneously. She could have hit him with an EMP and any number of other things. Give me a break.

See that's your problem. Anything that shows a loss for "The Goddess" you reflexively call "devaluing". These aren't instances of her being devalued, these are instances of her being realistically taken down. She wasn't fast enough to dodge his tazer and she was crumpled as a result. It's the same reason she was Mollywhopped by Valk, temporarily taken out by a frightened Spiderman, and the nameless speedy guy. And everyone else that's KO'd/disabled her close range. And the same reason she gave for why she was unable to use her powers against the Doras.

This is just canon that you don't want to accept. Which isn't my problem. You can call every example that you dislike as being PIS and "deavaluing" her until you're blue in the face. It doesn't make it so I'm afraid. Just makes you look like you secretly want a Weather Mary-Sue. Which I know you'll deny, but your hostility toward anything remotely negative and your eagerness to say why it doesn't count says otherwise.

No, the problem is you either don't know Storm well or you are choosing to ignore many of her showings that would discredit what you are posting. Here are some scans for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Storm+vs.+Iron+Man&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=tRiv6G4gRioz-M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQHwdh2V_V4u5x5xZkwHTgdUE1u36MKhY_zBnq3isuEc_HtxYLd%253B541%253B799%253Bj4agTcmR7DULbM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.comicvine.com%25252Fforums%25252Fbattles-7%25252Fstorm-vs-ironman-398548%25252F&source=iu&usg=__IcEkLiRAdLSpqlueFPTyy4SgzV4%3D&sa=X&ei=a9zEU-bWIs22yATShIDABQ&ved=0CDQQ9QEwBA&biw=1517&bih=741&dpr=0.9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=qJ1gyAOAPRT3wM%253A%3BEQ0qJcyOQO-2SM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg22.imageshack.us%252Fimg22%252F8306%252Fxmen06002.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.comicvine.com%252Fforums%252Fbattles-7%252Fstorm-vs-war-machine-and-iron-man-417693%252F%253Fpage%253D4%252F%3B640%3B481

Storm dodges Scott's blast at close range which move at the speed of light.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Storm+vs.+Dark+Phoenix&rlz=1C1KAFB_enUS511US512&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Nt3EU6KWCMehyATEl4HYBQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1517&bih=693&dpr=0.9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=-DWm6ZjAuTx-IM%253A%3BMg2WW2EPz1gLAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi58.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fg246%252Ftee2185%252Fstidalwave3om4.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforums.superherohype.com%252Fshowthread.php%253Ft%253D261317%3B549%3B440

Storm can attack with her powers with "less than a conscious thought".

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/66/undergroundmosoon6lj.jpg/

Storm can create a tempest of "unimaginable power in the literal blink of an eye". There are lots of instances with her creating tornadoes, blizzards, etc in the "literal blink of an eye" depicting just how fast her powers work.

Why am I pointing all of this out? She should have been able to take out that speedster in the first scan you showed me BEFORE he even got up to her. All she had to do is want it and nature would have carried out her whim even before her conscious thought caught up with what she wanted done. Hence, she can strike with "less than a conscious thought."

Also, given Storm's ability to do this:

She should have been able to look at War Machine's suite or the guy who bum rushed her and knew what they were going to do BEFORE they did it. She could have then reacted in the "literal blink of an eye" or, even faster with "less than a conscious" though to take them down before they could do anything. Notice the scans say that this sight gives her an advantage in any fight, too.

Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 15, 2014, 01:29:09 am »
Booshman, you are not getting my point. Its not that Storm's H-2-H skills have just been downgraded. Its not an issue of that, but an issue of WHICH WRITER is writing Storm. This is the same thing regarding Storm's defenses against telepathy. Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle had every telepath around able to get into Storm's head effortlessly. They totally wrote her down. I believe it was done to prop up Jean Grey. However, before and after that 8 year period or so when they wrote, Storm can pretty much make her mind impenetrable to telepaths of any power level if she so chooses when written at her best. A telepath would be a FOOL to challenge Storm given her defenses against that power and what she can do to them in return with her abilities.

In a H-2-H fight, I agree that T'challa would have the advantage. If he connects with one solid blow, she's gone. My point is two-fold, when written at her best, to hit her with one solid blow is not an easy thing to do. She's very proficient in H-2-H combat and she's very sneaky and unpredictable. I'm just saying that a fight between the two can be a draw, or either can win DEPENDING on the WRITER and their take on Storm's H-2-H combat skills. If they see her rivaling Steve Roger's class, then it may be a stalemate or either one can win the fight. If the writer sees her as less than that, then T'challa definitely wins.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:45 am »
Ya, she's been nailed by Scott's blasts before. So that means nothing. Actually, the issue right after she "defeated" him for the leadership spot, and it was really only because he had his mind messed with, he blasted her. She's also been downed by other people's blasts in both the distant and the not so distant past. But I guess anything is PIS if it doesn't show the "All Goddess" on top.

But really, it's not ME you have to try and convince of Storm's inconsistent "awesomeness". Which you won't anyway, since she's been owned just as much as she's been on top. It's Marvel. Who knows what Storm can do, but is content on writing her so correctly as of late. Now unless you have a full time Pak, she's just going to be progressively brought back down to normal by the next several writers as soon as his run is over. So you can supply as many over the top old scans as you want to act as if her abilities are preserved in amber. I'll do the same to counter it and post the new stuff where she's more "normalized" as well. Which seems to matter more to the Marvel Office. Which once again, is why characters like Spiderman and Thor have been diminished and jobbed out. Certain characters are destined to be normalized periodically. Storm is one of them. Whether you like it or not.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:02 am »
Booshman, you are not getting my point. Its not that Storm's H-2-H skills have just been downgraded. Its not an issue of that, but an issue of WHICH WRITER is writing Storm. This is the same thing regarding Storm's defenses against telepathy. Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle had every telepath around able to get into Storm's head effortlessly. They totally wrote her down. I believe it was done to prop up Jean Grey. However, before and after that 8 year period or so when they wrote, Storm can pretty much make her mind impenetrable to telepaths of any power level if she so chooses when written at her best. A telepath would be a FOOL to challenge Storm given her defenses against that power and what she can do to them in return with her abilities.

In a H-2-H fight, I agree that T'challa would have the advantage. If he connects with one solid blow, she's gone. My point is two-fold, when written at her best, to hit her with one solid blow is not an easy thing to do. She's very proficient in H-2-H combat and she's very sneaky and unpredictable. I'm just saying that a fight between the two can be a draw, or either can win DEPENDING on the WRITER and their take on Storm's H-2-H combat skills. If they see her rivaling Steve Roger's class, then it may be a stalemate or either one can win the fight. If the writer sees her as less than that, then T'challa definitely wins.

No, I get your point. It's just that it's not realistic with current day Ororo. I mean, T'challa has been written has having telepathy in the past. But that doesn't mean he has the ability now. Because no one's touched it since back in the day. Storm on her best day has never been called one of the top H2H fighters on the planet. There's no way she's ever been shown to be up there with Elektra, Black Widow (who is one of the best female H2H fighters in the MU, that stalemated Elektra), Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Karnak (who one-shotted BW, but BP defeated in one hit), and a whole slew of actually labeled H2H elites in the books. If Storm is shown as being any where near the level of any of these people H2H, it would be a major case of PIS, as they excel in H2H.

You're just advocating PIS, especially in your apparent paranoia (over an already high powered character no less) when it came to your portion about telepaths and something being taken away from her to prop up Jean. Who was always a stupidly powerful telepath.

I'd love to see you bring this topic up with other Storm posters on CBR, that she's straight up on the level of known H2H greats like BW and Elektra, and would be able to compete against them in a non-PIS manner. Because it seems like you just post your bat-crap craziest, well-wishing, nonsense here. Where you don't have to worry about your own rightfully calling you a lunatic.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:52:17 am by Booshman »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:41 am »

You are ASSUMING it does nothing. Have you ever tried it? If you did try it and you didn't get immediate results, you have to realize that the changes are not going to be immediate because we are battling DECADES of racist behaviors, racist ideas and racist attitudes, so the change WE WANT is not going to happen overnight.

If you DIDN'T try it, then how are you qualified to sit there and assume it won't achieve anything?

Why should I waste my time sending “positive photos” where I can purchase books from other writers and artists whom are doing it already? For example Ericka Alexander

Money talks and it will always be the determining factor. Your pictures have no power no weight to change their minds. Just google black relationships and you will see people angry at each other. Do I like the sight of it? No of course not. But at the same I am not going to bark at the moon. I would rather create the power base to discredit these images. Take your dollar elsewhere to people whom are already doing the work.

Does posting negative images of black people on message boards achieve anything, other than more negativity? Continuously posting negative images of fictional black women getting hit with hammers is not going to create positivity, because how would it?

Does posting positive images of black people on message boards achieve anything, other than more positivity? To think that only a “picture” creates some type of power for anyone to realize this isn’t good enough. Create the power and take the so called “trillion” spending dollars elsewhere.

Let’s say we take out the hammer, we suddenly have one of the few “mainstream” black couples fighting each other. Depending on the writer they were in love or hated each other. Why should I as a consumer continue to pay money for something like that? No

Sending positive imagery of black people to Marvel will get THEM used to seeing positive images if black people, and if THEY continue seeing positive images of black people on a CONTINUOUS basis, then HOPEFULLY change will come for the better for all non-white readers, because hopefully Marvel will get the hint and start portraying ALL non-white fictional characters in the same way that they feature the majority of their white fictional characters...IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE.
While you’re doing that, you’re ignoring some writers and companies that are doing that already. We as a base should make them work to get our support, not the other way around.
But I realize all of this requires FAITH, POSITIVITY and OPTIMISM, which a lot of people in the comic book reading-public and a lot of people on message boards DO NOT HAVE, because their first immediate reaction is to be pessimistic and always expect the worst, but keep complaining when the worst happens because they refuse to do what is necessary to TRY and change things for the better.

Complain? That is a wasted emotion. Instead I won’t and of course more will continue to purchase more and more and complain in why Marvel isn’t doing their part.

It's always easy to be pessimistic, and negative, and to assume the worst, and to assume such-and-such method to try and change things for the better won't work, and to assume reaching out to companies to express our displeasure won't work, and to laugh and ridicule fictional black women for the ways in which they are written by white men and handled by white editors, but it requires a lot more patience, dedication, perseverance and a tough, unwielding, relentless mindset to do the dirty work and do what actually needs to be done in order for POSITIVE, PERMANENT changes to the comic book industry to happen in terms of how non-white characters are portrayed.
For over 75 years they haven’t shown any true sense of characterization of PoC. Not even 3D characters. It is either they are Sidney Poitier or John Shaft; there is no middle ground.

It seems that it's always easier for a lot of people to spew hatred and venom at fictional black characters (male or female, for a variety of reasons) then to band together and support as many fictional black characters as they can. Even if we don't like the current direction in which non-white characters are being taken, we could still try to support these non-white characters and demand that they be taken in better directions, directions in which non-white characters aren't pitted against other non-white characters and have non-white comic book readers bashing fictional black women every chance they get.
That is called insanity sir. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
The overall big picture is, if you want things to change, then you have to BE THE CHANGE and do what's necessary to change things instead of bickering, snickering, spewing hatred for fictional black women when we all know the same would NOT be done for a majority of fictional black men. Constantly complaining on message boards to people WHO ALREADY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE changes nothing...it just reminds comic book readers what the problems are and just keeps feeding negativity. It's more logical to CONSTANTLY COMPLAIN TO THE COMPANIES THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTANTLY CAUSING THE PROBLEMS.
I actually agree with you 100% however mailing pictures isn’t it. The changes are out there already as it is.

Midnight Tiger

Thank you, BmoreAkuma!  I wish this amount of furor and dedication was given to the numerous black creators that are already putting great work out there, instead of pleading for Marvel to do better.

You want Marvel to do better with Black Panther and Storm?  Make those Indy comics a hot item with your money.  Make Marvel see that there is a market to be had, and they are failing to grasp it.  Force them to do better by making the industry around them better.

There is lot to this.

Marvel won't produce the books you wan't mostly because THERE IS NO MONEY IN IT.  Alex Kot's Iron Patriot series (which is pretty decent) got downgraded from an ongoing to a mini because the initial retailer prebuys were so bad.

While its depiction of Africa was somewhat problematic, the first 12 issue of Batwing were well recieved by the online fandom. Still sold like crap. So they tried to revamp the book to make it more commercial and that didn't work either.

However Indy books like Molly Danger would Miranda Mercury would LOVE to have sales of 12-18K. DC/Marvel sees those kinds of numbers as a failure.

And for them it is.

For Indy publishers and Digital only publishers its another matter.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:38 am »
I think Storm 's thunder just got stolen.  Joke intended.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54067

Really,  is Marvel trying to kill this book right before it comes out?   Thor is now a female;  so now we have two weather controlling females and Thor will always trump Storm, especially since she had the hammer.   Guys love girls with weapons.  Maybe the female Thor story will run short.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 15, 2014, 10:09:32 am »

Really,  is Marvel trying to kill this book right before it comes out?   Thor is now a female;  so now we have two weather controlling females and Thor will always trump Storm, especially since she had the hammer.   Guys love girls with weapons.  Maybe the female Thor story will run short.
Dont be surprised she'll suddenly appear in the Storm comic just to have the "showdown" of thunder vs lighting. Sighes and of course Rutog will have a fit once storm loses.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 15, 2014, 10:20:07 am »

Finally.

An actual weather controlling, hammer wielding Asgardian Goddess.  8)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:22:55 am by Salustrade »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 15, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
Beautiful use of colors in that drawing!

Really nice.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:36 am »

Dont be surprised she'll suddenly appear in the Storm comic just to have the "showdown" of thunder vs lighting. Sighes and of course Rutog will have a fit once storm loses.

Nope. If the two of them fight in Storm's title, I think Ororo will win. Pak has stated that Storm is the most powerful female character in Marvel. Furthermore, he stated she has the power to go toe-to-toe with any of Marvel's big guns. He is going to pit her against "gods", too. I am hoping Thor is the "god" Pak is going to have her fight. She needs to lay the smack down on him/her.

@Booshman
I don't go with write downs of characters. So if I pull up scans where Storm is just that good at something, as far as I'm concerned, it stands. Any scan to the contrary is Storm being written down for the sake of story progression or because the writer is ignorant of her abilities or the writer is trying to play up another character.

That said, Storm has clean Cyclops's clock in fights MANY times. In the scan I used, Storm beat him in that fight as well. He did not score one hit on her.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:19 am »

Finally.

An actual weather controlling, hammer wielding Asgardian Goddess.  8)

Holy frickin crap. This is the certain death knell for STORM.

I'm also not at all overjoyed to see my ace THOR become a woman. Why? I know she's not THOR Thor, but still. This is taking Odin's orignal sin too far, I would say. Lol.

And yeah...absolutely gorgeous art. No denying that. Love it.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 15, 2014, 11:04:33 am »
One thing Storm has going for her against Girl-Thor is girl Thor is written by Aaron. Maybe Aaron will mess up Girl-Thor the way he did Storm.

In terms of writing, I think its probably Pak>Aaron. I bet you Pak is a better writer than Aaron and Storm has ALWAYS been much more creative in the application of her powers than Thor has been with his. Pak is even doing extensive research on certain aspects of weather so to get really creative with her powers and show exactly what she can do. Girl-Thor will probably be written as much more a brawler in her book than Storm will be in her own title. I bet you Storm will get the more powerful showings in terms of elemental power...as it should be. ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:07:39 am by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:59 am »
Like I said you will whine depending on the writer because for some magical reason "she isnt written right" just like ever comic character ever
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 15, 2014, 11:11:01 am »
Like I said you will whine depending on the writer because for some magical reason "she isnt written right" just like ever comic character ever

Hey, look, I think you are set up to be very disappointed. We have Yost writing Storm in "Amazing X-Men" and Pak writing her solo. Ororo is going to be boss. I get the feeling that you don't want Storm to be depicted at her best out of Storm-hating. Well, guess what? These writers are not on board with your hating and they are going to give her her due. You just wait and see. Get your tissue ready and be prepared to dry your upcoming tears of anger and frustration when Storm is shown to be the powerhouse that she is by these two awesome writers.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 15, 2014, 11:15:35 am »
Truly pathetic.

And this is supposed to be Marvels most "iconic" female character?

More like most "moronic" female character. :smh: