Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 455054 times)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #495 on: July 15, 2014, 11:16:07 am »
We'll just see how "pleased" Thor's fans are with their hero being turned into a "she". I can see a move like this backfiring on Marvel. Many of his fans will probably feel like they have been wronged by this "carbon copy" of the real deal. Notice how Marvel says that this new "Thor" is targeting women and girls. This move may alienate Thor's traditional fans.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 15, 2014, 11:16:22 am »
I think Storm 's thunder just got stolen.  Joke intended.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54067

Really,  is Marvel trying to kill this book right before it comes out?   Thor is now a female;  so now we have two weather controlling females and Thor will always trump Storm, especially since she had the hammer.   Guys love girls with weapons.  Maybe the female Thor story will run short.

What will put Storm over isn't gonna be her weather controlling feats. If Xfans don't care what Storm does when not around the Xmen, the book will die in the same way Gambit's last book did.

If the Storm book is seen as a useful companion piece to the Xteam books it should do okay.

These things are playing to 2 different audiences.

Besides, Babe-Thor will only last until Avengers 2 comes out. At that point Marvel will bring back the original dude.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:43 am »
Truly pathetic.

And this is supposed to be Marvels most "iconic" female character?

More like most "moronic" female character. :smh:

She's dealing with the death of Wolverine in this issue and is going to take care of some of his "unfinished" business with Yukio as her side kick in this story. Yeah, I can DEFINITELY see Storm being devastated by the death of Logan. Even if they were not in a relationship, he was arguably her deepest friend. He and Storm have been through more things together than anyone and they relied on each other's strength many times to get through tough spots.

That said, look at her face on that cover. She's prettier than Girl-Thor.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 15, 2014, 11:28:30 am »
Pak has stated that Storm is the most powerful female character in Marvel. Furthermore, he stated she has the power to go toe-to-toe with any of Marvel's big guns. He is going to pit her against "gods", too.

He said that BEFORE this character was revealed,  besides being her writer means he is biased and everything he says is hype to sell the book,  not facts.  That isn't a bad thing but it is just hype.   Same as Claremont,  it is hype more than facts.

By the way going against the gods doesn't make her powerful.   Wolverine,  Spider-man have fought the gods before and it doesn't make them powerful.  Now when Storm is shown being able to hurt Zeus like Spectrum did,  then you can boast.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:31:06 am by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 15, 2014, 11:38:51 am »
So does anyone else find it funny that there hasn't been a single panel about anything X-men related as San Diego Comic Con?

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 15, 2014, 11:48:17 am »
Truly pathetic.

She's dealing with the death of Wolverine in this issue and is going to take care of some of his "unfinished" business with Yukio as her side kick in this story. Yeah, I can DEFINITELY see Storm being devastated by the death of Logan. Even if they were not in a relationship, he was arguably her deepest friend. He and Storm have been through more things together than anyone and they relied on each other's strength many times to get through tough spots.

It's funny how she wasn't equally as "devastated" over the thousands of Wakandan men, women and children that her fellow mutant, Namor murdered during AvX.

The same Namor who she slept with during AoX.

Is that the best you've got?

Really?!

Storm i only at her "best" when she's assaulting Black people.

Or blatantly lying through her teeth.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:17 am »
So does anyone else find it funny that there hasn't been a single panel about anything X-men related as San Diego Comic Con?

I couldn't care less about that whole sorry excuse for a franchise.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »
Like I said you will whine depending on the writer because for some magical reason "she isnt written right" just like ever comic character ever

Hey, look, I think you are set up to be very disappointed. We have Yost writing Storm in "Amazing X-Men" and Pak writing her solo. Ororo is going to be boss. I get the feeling that you don't want Storm to be depicted at her best out of Storm-hating. Well, guess what? These writers are not on board with your hating and they are going to give her her due. You just wait and see. Get your tissue ready and be prepared to dry your upcoming tears of anger and frustration when Storm is shown to be the powerhouse that she is by these two awesome writers.
Huh? What in the hell are you talking about? There is no hate here. I dont "hate" a non-fictional character. It doesnt make anymore sense that someone whom "loves/likes" a character.

To derail things a bit Mighty Avengers will be canceled y'all. I'll wait until it is "officially announced"
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 15, 2014, 01:42:31 pm »
What crackheaded narcissist running Marvel these day? I thought changing Cap AGAIN was horrible. This Wolverine overplayed mess. I guess this is why Thor Thor is carrying an axe in previews...

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 15, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »
Also, for those of you out there who keep going on about how the X-office disrespects Black males with Storm punching them out, etc

The X-office disrespects Black males - Black male mutants specifically - usually by having white male mutants humiliate them; by creating them under-powered and then, depowering them; having them lose their minds and become baby killers and last, but certainly not least or by simply punching their ticket
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 15, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
Truly pathetic.

It's funny how she wasn't equally as "devastated" over the thousands of Wakandan men, women and children that her fellow mutant, Namor murdered during AvX.

The same Namor who she slept with during AoX.

Is that the best you've got?

Really?!

Storm i only at her "best" when she's assaulting Black people.

Or blatantly lying through her teeth.

A truly devastating delivery of the facts, Salustrade!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:38:06 pm by sinjection1 »
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 15, 2014, 02:36:43 pm »

You are ASSUMING it does nothing. Have you ever tried it? If you did try it and you didn't get immediate results, you have to realize that the changes are not going to be immediate because we are battling DECADES of racist behaviors, racist ideas and racist attitudes, so the change WE WANT is not going to happen overnight.

If you DIDN'T try it, then how are you qualified to sit there and assume it won't achieve anything?

Why should I waste my time sending “positive photos” where I can purchase books from other writers and artists whom are doing it already? For example Ericka Alexander

Money talks and it will always be the determining factor. Your pictures have no power no weight to change their minds. Just google black relationships and you will see people angry at each other. Do I like the sight of it? No of course not. But at the same I am not going to bark at the moon. I would rather create the power base to discredit these images. Take your dollar elsewhere to people whom are already doing the work.

Does posting negative images of black people on message boards achieve anything, other than more negativity? Continuously posting negative images of fictional black women getting hit with hammers is not going to create positivity, because how would it?

Does posting positive images of black people on message boards achieve anything, other than more positivity? To think that only a “picture” creates some type of power for anyone to realize this isn’t good enough. Create the power and take the so called “trillion” spending dollars elsewhere.

Let’s say we take out the hammer, we suddenly have one of the few “mainstream” black couples fighting each other. Depending on the writer they were in love or hated each other. Why should I as a consumer continue to pay money for something like that? No

Sending positive imagery of black people to Marvel will get THEM used to seeing positive images if black people, and if THEY continue seeing positive images of black people on a CONTINUOUS basis, then HOPEFULLY change will come for the better for all non-white readers, because hopefully Marvel will get the hint and start portraying ALL non-white fictional characters in the same way that they feature the majority of their white fictional characters...IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE.
While you’re doing that, you’re ignoring some writers and companies that are doing that already. We as a base should make them work to get our support, not the other way around.
But I realize all of this requires FAITH, POSITIVITY and OPTIMISM, which a lot of people in the comic book reading-public and a lot of people on message boards DO NOT HAVE, because their first immediate reaction is to be pessimistic and always expect the worst, but keep complaining when the worst happens because they refuse to do what is necessary to TRY and change things for the better.

Complain? That is a wasted emotion. Instead I won’t and of course more will continue to purchase more and more and complain in why Marvel isn’t doing their part.

It's always easy to be pessimistic, and negative, and to assume the worst, and to assume such-and-such method to try and change things for the better won't work, and to assume reaching out to companies to express our displeasure won't work, and to laugh and ridicule fictional black women for the ways in which they are written by white men and handled by white editors, but it requires a lot more patience, dedication, perseverance and a tough, unwielding, relentless mindset to do the dirty work and do what actually needs to be done in order for POSITIVE, PERMANENT changes to the comic book industry to happen in terms of how non-white characters are portrayed.
For over 75 years they haven’t shown any true sense of characterization of PoC. Not even 3D characters. It is either they are Sidney Poitier or John Shaft; there is no middle ground.

It seems that it's always easier for a lot of people to spew hatred and venom at fictional black characters (male or female, for a variety of reasons) then to band together and support as many fictional black characters as they can. Even if we don't like the current direction in which non-white characters are being taken, we could still try to support these non-white characters and demand that they be taken in better directions, directions in which non-white characters aren't pitted against other non-white characters and have non-white comic book readers bashing fictional black women every chance they get.
That is called insanity sir. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
The overall big picture is, if you want things to change, then you have to BE THE CHANGE and do what's necessary to change things instead of bickering, snickering, spewing hatred for fictional black women when we all know the same would NOT be done for a majority of fictional black men. Constantly complaining on message boards to people WHO ALREADY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE changes nothing...it just reminds comic book readers what the problems are and just keeps feeding negativity. It's more logical to CONSTANTLY COMPLAIN TO THE COMPANIES THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTANTLY CAUSING THE PROBLEMS.
I actually agree with you 100% however mailing pictures isn’t it. The changes are out there already as it is.

Midnight Tiger

Who said anything about continuing to BUY anything from Marvel? I said SUPPORT non-white characters, which can mean a variety of things. I've never suggested that people continue to give Marvel money for products they don't like or agree with. We can still SUPPORT non-white characters at Marvel in various ways without buying any of their books.

And the only indy book I am interested in at the moment is SUPERAFRICAN by musician Sila...so far there has only been one issue released and that was earlier this year. I'm waiting to hear back about when the second issue will be released (if it will be released at all). He released the first issue at the same time he released his new album of the same name, but I'm not sure how well the first issue of the comic book sold.

Mailing pictures is just one method and just one more tool in our tool belt. People in marketing and advertising know exactly how effective (whether positive or negative) pictures can be, so I wouldn't rule out sending in positive images of black people on a consistent basis. And let's not pretend that posting negative images on message boards is getting us the results we want.

Complaints are a wasted emotion? Tell that to all of the people who EVER complained to Marvel, or DC, or any other company, and received exactly the very things they asked for.

And I think it IS good to support indy books that are doing great things for non-white characters, but if for some reason those indy publishers go under, or discontinue those books, either we as non-white readers will have to give up reading comics (because some would refuse to go back to Marvel or DC), OR they would go back to Marvel and DC...which probably would not have gotten better at portraying non-white characters because no one stuck around to demand that Marvel and DC start portraying non-white characters better.

Bro, have you ever received a written response from anyone at Marvel leading on from any of the letters and positive photo's you've snailmailed to them?

Real question.

I received ONE snail-mail letter from Joe Quesada years ago after I snail-mailed them my very first letter. Other than that, I have received zero feedback from them, nor do I expect to because not only do I send them way too much stuff for them to respond to each and every time, but those people most likely don't have the time to individually respond to all of the letters and e-mails that readers send to them on a daily basis.

That also does not mean that Marvel is NOT listening to what is being said to them, just because they don't respond to me (or anyone else) all of the time whenever they receive something from us. Unfortunately, this process is not like Tom Brevoort's Formspring account, where you may get answers from him (although he doesn't even answer every question that is posed to him on Formspring because he picks and chooses what he wants to answer or ignore).

Also, I have received more responses from DC executives to my snail-mail letters than I have from Marvel (which surprises me but I guess both companies have different ways of handling things). I received smail-mail responses from Geoff Johns and Diane Nelson, but their answers did not satisfy me, so I continue to contact them about my concerns.

As for the positive images of black people that I send to Marvel, I have not received any responses to those yet, and frankly I'm not expecting any snail-mail responses to them. I'm more interested in seeing positive reactions in the actual books than from some snail-mail responses from the company.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:54:55 pm by moneyspider »

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 15, 2014, 02:47:40 pm »
It doesn't matter what the writer wants. Pak may want to write the best Storm ever. But every writer answers to editors. Some writers like Bendis get to play in the sandbox all day without no one bothering them. Other writers do what their editors demand of them (DC comics the past four years is an easy example).

Pak may be boss. I hope he is. I enjoyed his War Machine series a while back . But how much of that was Pak with or without editorial interference? When you work at the big 2, your creatively and vision for a character is limited.. You play ball or get replaced.

Another thing, why isn't this thread in the "Other Comics" section?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:16:01 pm by BlanXs »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 15, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »
@Salustrade

Storm's lack of reaction to the death of the Wakandans is simply an illustration of bad, out-of-character writing. She was devastated when Sinister's henchmen killed the Morlocks back during CC's original run. She was so upset about it that she sent Wolverine after them to kill them all and to bring back only one survivor to her. She nearly ran away from the disaster in emotional anguish and Callisto had to drag her back. Her reaction to Logan's death is consistent with her character.

Pak did not write the AvsX thing nor is he responsible for the writing that occurred after the ordeal dealing with its fallout. Seems to me Marvel saw the marriage as a big failure that was very unpopular among the readers for a myriad of reasons. They just wanted to hurry up and break the marriage up by any means necessary and distance Storm's character so much and so fast from his and Wakanda that they did not even care to delve into the effect it would/should have had on her character. They were so disorganized in trying to do this they could not even get their story straight on how the break up would happen as there are two different versions of it.

This has nothing to do with Marvel hating Black Males. If that were the case, then they would not have allowed the marriage to rake place in the first place. It had a clumsy, poorly organized beginning in the way the marriage was rushed and a clumsy, disorganized ending to it as well. Marvel really messed up a great opportunity for both characters to grow, here. It's because of the poor way in which things were handled on many fronts that the marriage failed.

I'm just glad to see Storm back in character.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 15, 2014, 04:42:08 pm »
Pak has stated that Storm is the most powerful female character in Marvel. Furthermore, he stated she has the power to go toe-to-toe with any of Marvel's big guns. He is going to pit her against "gods", too.

He said that BEFORE this character was revealed,  besides being her writer means he is biased and everything he says is hype to sell the book,  not facts.  That isn't a bad thing but it is just hype.   Same as Claremont,  it is hype more than facts.

By the way going against the gods doesn't make her powerful.   Wolverine,  Spider-man have fought the gods before and it doesn't make them powerful.  Now when Storm is shown being able to hurt Zeus like Spectrum did,  then you can boast.

BEFORE the character was revealed to the public. Marvel would have known about this move WAY before today. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that Storm is going to be pitted against POWERFUL "gods", not the low level stuff Spider-man and Wolverine may be able to fight and beat.

Pretty nifty! ;)