Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 530131 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #600 on: July 21, 2014, 12:26:51 pm »
Rutog

Well Rut maybe you should think about him maybe we all should think about how love never fails and some things are meant to be and Storm and T'Challa and Shuri should put the past behind them for the kids and whatnot.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 21, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »
Rut...
Azarri is in the October Avengers World solicits. It's 616. Storm his momma.

They need to keep him over there then and away from the X-titles. I'm not thinking about that guy.

At this point, I don't think anybody in their right mind gives a f*ck about what your bitch ass thinks.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 21, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
Rutog

Well Rut maybe you should think about him maybe we all should think about how love never fails and some things are meant to be and Storm and T'Challa and Shuri should put the past behind them for the kids and whatnot.

Thing is, with Storm now finally getting her solo and all, I'm not looking for her to share the spotlight with a bunch of kids. She was wallpaper for so long I say let her get her due first before going down this route. Personally, I think Marvel might be using these kids as a way to repair the marriage between Ororo and BP. If so, if they can write the marriage in a way where both characters are written properly in terms of personality and power, cool. Thing is, Marvel messed up so bad the first time around that I have no faith in them. I want Storm single for a while without kids or relationships with anyone before Marvel goes there again. To me, for what you are talking about, Kymera already represented that. This other kid was not necessary and I feel that having all of these kids can overshadow much of Storm's character to make her some mother hen. I want to read about the fierce, independent, indomitable force of nature Storm for a while as her fans have been deprived of that for so long.

All that said, in terms of relationships, I think BP might be the best match for her unless Marvel creates somebody new for this purpose alone. Even then, I still don't wanna see her in a relationship now. Let her find who she is and define herself on her own terms before bringing another man into her life (or an old flame) .  It's just Storm was written so badly out of character in many instances the first time around (I've gone through this at length in previous posts) that I think it's too soon for the readership to try it again. From what I gather on this board, it seems like she was once more written out of character with Logan in how she begged him to stay with her. Never liked the idea of the two of them together anyway and am glad he's dying soon. It seems like she loses a large part of her assertiveness and strength of personality nowadays when she's put in relationships. I'm tired of this watered down Storm.

If Marvel is trying to put the two together already this soon, it will not go over well with the fans. It would be a really bad move and it's all Marvel's fault for messing things up the first time around.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:49:10 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:36 am »
Today is the day! Storm #1 hits the stands today.  ;D

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:46 am »
Well, it didn't suck at least.

It doesn't do any world building. Instead, Pak focused on how she operates outside of a team setting. Handling natural disaster while being one for those who mess with her, while bringing up a potential consequence that I hope gets utilized more.

That's the typical stuff. Where things get interesting is when Storm deals with a disgruntled student. Pak actually put on page what many of us have been annoyed about for years. And instead of using this as a way to Storm to whip out some Havok-like statement, he takes a better, more mature route to resolving the problem.

There are two major flaws with the book; no clear cut direction and it's safe, despite what I said earlier. . As of right now, it's pretty much "Storm: Off-Duty", which will spell doom for the book if it continues. But it's clear that Pak has a great handle with the character. I just hope it used for more than just a celebration.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:37 am »
I agree with Kid...cautious optimism perhaps...

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 23, 2014, 02:06:30 pm »
It didn't suck, however it was a Typical X-Men. Have the black people racist against mutants. Makes me rolls my eyes every time the do that. I put my copy that was pulled for me back on the wall.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:25:40 pm by BlanXs »

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 23, 2014, 04:20:43 pm »
It was pretty average. Which is better than I expected from an X-book, tbh. But first issues are supposed to come out with a bang. Especially if they're attempting to draw in new readers. This was just kinda "meh".

Also, I bet that she just turned that entire village into fodder and sentenced them to death. There's no way that Suncorp isn't going to come back and exact revenge on the villagers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:23:29 pm by Booshman »

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:54 pm »
It didn't suck, however it was a Typical X-Men. Have the black people racist against mutants. Makes me rolls my eyes every time the do that. I put my copy that was pulled for me back on the wall.

True. "Typical X-Men."

I'm sorry...but I can't shake the sense of double entendre or symbolism in this story.

Storm vs a military presence ostensibly representing a so-called black nation that is "anti-mutant". I couldn't help drawing a parallel between this so-called black mutant-hating nation and Uganda whose President upon receiving findings from researchers in his country that there is no such thing as a "gay gene" pronounced that the findings reveal that one isn't born homosexual; homosexuality is learned. In the President's words; "What they have learned, they can unlearn."

Sons Of The Serpent = kkk and other white racist organizations. Santo Marco = Uganda and others opposing homosexuals.

On another note:  Too many X-Men and mutants in the first issue. The second issue appears as if it might be more of the same. Storm doesn't seem to be so "solo" as some of us might have liked for her to be. It looks as if instead of getting Ororo, we're about to get another O-Rut-Roh. The second issue of this ongoing will likely be the last I'll purchase.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Online supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #609 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »
Omw to buy my copy, tell ya what I think when I finish reading it...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »
Wasn't bad.

I didn't want or expect Storm solo book to be entirely Xman free.
If the last Gambit series couldn't sell that way, Storm can't, I don't what the fanatics say.

Bad sales strategy is bad sales strategy.

At least it addressed in story some of the issues that folks have with the Xbooks while
setting up future conflicts.

You know Storm is going to end up having to go back there.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 23, 2014, 06:50:13 pm »
I didn't want or expect Storm solo book to be entirely Xman free.

I'm one who remembers the complaint of the many x-fanatics braying and bleating, wailing and whining; "I'm livid! Simply livid!! If I want to read about my favorite character I'll have to buy the BLACK PANTHER - a D-List character's book - who I hate with a passion! I won't do it! Kill the MARRIAGE! Where's Forge?! Where's Wolverine?! Where's Waldo?! I'm not buying that racist book! Poor Storm...ohhhhhh boohoo, boohoo....boooohooooooooo."

And now look at this Storm ongoing. We see a picture of Storm on the cover. See the title: STORM. It's her book. It's the #1 issue.  It's nothing but a bit of Tricknology. It's a way of tricking readers who wouldn't touch an X-book with a 10-foot pole into reading an X-book while those readers are believing they are reading about Storm, about how she is to become Marvel's equivalent to DC's Superman.

I ain't reachin' for the soap.

At least it addressed in story some of the issues that folks have with the Xbooks...

Lip service. Nothing more than a wobbly nod in our direction. Using the first issue to show Storm interacting with so-called black people to mollify those who complain that there hasn't been enough of that heretofore. And even that seemed too much for them as we see the writer revert to the true X-franchise form, making the governing body of those so-called black people as anti-mutant as Uganda's position appears to be anti-homosexual. Once again, black people are the villians. Bishop was the baby killer. Santo Marco is the metaphor to make the analogy between that so-called black nation's anti-mutant sentiment and the slow pace with which the US so-called black community's acceptance of homosexuality and its refusal to allow homosexuals to link their struggle to the Black Struggle for Civil/Human Rights and Uganda's policy toward the homosexual's living there.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:56:06 pm by sinjection1 »
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 23, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »
It was pretty average. Which is better than I expected from an X-book, tbh. But first issues are supposed to come out with a bang. Especially if they're attempting to draw in new readers. This was just kinda "meh".

Also, I bet that she just turned that entire village into fodder and sentenced them to death. There's no way that Suncorp isn't going to come back and exact revenge on the villagers.

This is not true. Storm's actions led to an uprising overthrowing Suncorp and the president of that country is doing an investigation into Suncorp. Suncorp is done.

Another untrue statement. All of the prominent racists against mutants that I can think of have been White. I'm thinking Graydon Creed, the Friends of Humanity which is like the anti-mutant KKK organization (predominantly White and White leadership), most of the police officers that are depicted as anti-mutant are White. As a matter for fact, it tends to be Black police officers that are okay with mutants in the same issue. I'm thinking X-Force 53. Didn't Archangel also date a Black female police officer, IIRC? Iceman's parents are HUGE anti-mutant bigots and Rogue called them out on it when she and Bobby visited his folks.

In this story, the majority of the Blacks featured totally and completely embraced Storm. She was recognized for the heroine she is and greeted very warmly by everyone save the Suncorp folks. People took pictures with her and everything until Suncorp showed up. Also, the country is not against mutants, just one party is anti-mutant while the opposing political party is pro-mutant. The US was portrayed MUCH worse for being anti-Mutant for many years in the X-books. Look at Senator Robert Kelly and all he tried to do against Mutants. The US government even sanctioned and funded the construction of sentinels to combat mutants.

You guys are not being fair to the book at all in this regard. You're on a mission to prove that anything dealing with X-Men is totally and completely prejudice against Blacks which is just not true. You're trying to prove that the x-books have an animus against Black people because of the break up of Storm and T'challa and some insults perceived directed at him in the process. People can make even stronger arguments of anti-Black Women vibes if they look at the BP office for a lot of the unfair treatment done against Ororo's character. You look for this stuff everywhere, you see it everywhere and it distorts the truth.

This was a solid issue that serves as a wonderful introduction as to who Storm is. It sets a nice tone for things going forward.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:07:40 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:52 pm »
Didn't Archangel also date a Black female police officer, IIRC?

White male mutants have been all over black females; homosapien, homosuperior...makes no difference. And now there's a white male mutant married to a black male homosexual.

How many black male mutants have dated females of any racial/ethnic persuasion...homosapien or homosuperior? Not many. Prodigy was involved with Surge until he discovered his sexual deviancy and developed the hots for Hulkling.  The heterosexual black male mutant is as welcome in the x-verse as mutants are in Santo Marco or as welcome as homosexuals are in Uganda.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:59 pm »
Didn't Archangel also date a Black female police officer, IIRC?

White male mutants have been all over black females; homosapien, homosuperior...makes no difference. And now there's a white male mutant married to a black male homosexual.

How many black male mutants have dated females of any racial/ethnic persuasion...homosapien or homosuperior? Not many. Prodigy was involved with Surge until he discovered his sexual deviancy and developed the hots for Hulkling.  The heterosexual black male mutant is as welcome in the x-verse as mutants are in Santo Marco or as welcome as homosexuals are in Uganda.

There are hardly any Black male mutants to begin with, so the discussion isn't a realistic one. The only Black male X-Man is Bishop and while he and Ororo have shared a close friendship over the years, there aren't really any Black female characters for him to date. In fact, he's never even had a girlfriend.  The point I am trying to make is there is no outright hatred to Black in the X-Men books. On the other hand, Archangel is arguably the cream of the crop of the X-Men, and he's dated Black women. Quentin Quire is the main X-brat (I don't care about the students at the school and I don't read any book that features them as the focal point of the title), yet he's dating a Black female character. So, they are pairing top notch White male characters with Black women. So these Black women are NOT dating beneath them. They are dating men equal or greater than their own social status and being treated well by these men. I think this is positive, actually.

You mention Prodigy, but I don't even know who he is, so I have nothing to say to that. Every single student at the Jean Grey School are brats who are third rate characters that I don't care about and I don't spend my time or money reading about. They are throw-away characters, cannon fodder, as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what happens to them.

Pretty nifty! ;)