Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 530099 times)

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #615 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »

This is not true. Storm's actions led to an uprising overthrowing Suncorp and the president of that country is doing an investigation into Suncorp. Suncorp is done.

Nothing you said rules out Suncorp coming back for revenge.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 23, 2014, 07:59:53 pm »
I didn't want or expect Storm solo book to be entirely Xman free.

I'm one who remembers the complaint of the many x-fanatics braying and bleating, wailing and whining; "I'm livid! Simply livid!! If I want to read about my favorite character I'll have to buy the BLACK PANTHER - a D-List character's book - who I hate with a passion! I won't do it! Kill the MARRIAGE! Where's Forge?! Where's Wolverine?! Where's Waldo?! I'm not buying that racist book! Poor Storm...ohhhhhh boohoo, boohoo....boooohooooooooo."

And now look at this Storm ongoing. We see a picture of Storm on the cover. See the title: STORM. It's her book. It's the #1 issue.  It's nothing but a bit of Tricknology. It's a way of tricking readers who wouldn't touch an X-book with a 10-foot pole into reading an X-book while those readers are believing they are reading about Storm, about how she is to become Marvel's equivalent to DC's Superman.

I ain't reachin' for the soap.

At least it addressed in story some of the issues that folks have with the Xbooks...

Lip service. Nothing more than a wobbly nod in our direction. Using the first issue to show Storm interacting with so-called black people to mollify those who complain that there hasn't been enough of that heretofore. And even that seemed too much for them as we see the writer revert to the true X-franchise form, making the governing body of those so-called black people as anti-mutant as Uganda's position appears to be anti-homosexual. Once again, black people are the villians. Bishop was the baby killer. Santo Marco is the metaphor to make the analogy between that so-called black nation's anti-mutant sentiment and the slow pace with which the US so-called black community's acceptance of homosexuality and its refusal to allow homosexuals to link their struggle to the Black Struggle for Civil/Human Rights and Uganda's policy toward the homosexual's living there.

Be careful now you might get called a hypocrite with this post( hilariously by a hypocrite )

So it seems this first issue is just a mediocre bet soon of a Legend Of Korra episode from a couple weeks ago minus the baggage

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 23, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »

This is not true. Storm's actions led to an uprising overthrowing Suncorp and the president of that country is doing an investigation into Suncorp. Suncorp is done.

A evil corporation would never do more then one villainous act, all villains get one act and that's it

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
People can make even stronger arguments of anti-Black Women vibes if they look at the BP office for a lot of the unfair treatment done against Ororo's character. You look for this stuff everywhere, you see it everywhere and it distorts the truth.

Oh stop with the intentionally vague and nonsensical statements.

People can make arguments of BP being anti-black woman, if they flatout ignore that one of the strongest and the most iconic forces in the entire BP mythos is the Dora Milaje. Or how respectfully written the current Queen Mother is, even though she has no political power. Or how well Shuri has been written, minus Mayberry.

To paint the X-Office as being bigoted or at the very least "incredibly suspect" when it comes to non-white males, is far easier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:40:21 pm by Booshman »

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:23 pm »
Heh. There are three comic shops in the town where I work. I just left the second. Friends with two shop owners. I spoke with them about Storm when I went into both shops

Not one issue was sold today, on this new comic Wednesday. Not one. Tomorrow is another day, but going from the crowds in both stores while I was in both of them, that's telling.

Just wanted to share. Myself, I spent that three bucks on the newest issue of Zombie Tramp.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:18:21 pm by BlanXs »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »

If they come back, there will be several problems. First off, the president will probably send the national guard there to deal with them. On top of that, Ororo would be back as well and they are no match for her.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 24, 2014, 09:28:46 am »

If they come back, there will be several problems. First off, the president will probably send the national guard there to deal with them. On top of that, Ororo would be back as well and they are no match for her.

Hmm SUN co.....CEO-Sun God??  Pax said he wanted her fighting a god.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:18 am »
I'm glad I bought it I liked it and it was just a few bucks not like a car note more like what people bugging you on the street.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 24, 2014, 10:23:42 am »

Yeah, and I'm sure she will fight one in some future story arc.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 24, 2014, 11:51:25 am »

Yeah, and I'm sure she will fight one in some future story arc.

But that would go against what you just said

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:28 pm »
@Sin: "Those of us that wouldn't touch an X-book" aren't the target market.

Marvel needs at least 20k to justify them putting the book out at all and they would want it
to do double that much for them to consider it a success.

Those numbers means they have to make Xfans happy above all else.

Where else is the readership gonna come from in the numbers Marvel needs?

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #627 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »
I read STORM #1.

Without spoiling it? Good book. Excellent characterization.  Pak has Storm's voice down cold...his pacing is solid. The art gets Ororo's facial expressions down really well.  Creep...despite my instant misgivings evoked by her name...has outstanding potential. Pak doesn't shy away from, disrespect or make central to the story the fact that Storm was Queen of Wakanda.

If there's any draw back? It's the art. The art is solid, but not stellar. I'm nitpicking, I enjoyed the art and the fact that the artist didn't lighten Ororo's skin, and the penciled features are right and clean.

Storm's confrontation with the Sun Corp mercs did NOT strike me as Black people vs mutants. That charge IMO is nowhere near supported by the reality of the book. The leader of the mercs deserved every inch of the merking that he got. The feeling I got wasn't Black people vs Mutants, but rather the kind of Right VS Wrong we saw with...say..Poppa Doc's Secret Police in Haiti. A butt wipe is a butt wipe...of any race.

What Storm does...action wise, reader access to/identification with emotions wise...Just Do The Right Thing wise...aware all on point.

Overall? Good job.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:25 pm »
It didn't suck, however it was a Typical X-Men. Have the black people racist against mutants. Makes me rolls my eyes every time the do that. I put my copy that was pulled for me back on the wall.

True. "Typical X-Men."

I'm sorry...but I can't shake the sense of double entendre or symbolism in this story.

Storm vs a military presence ostensibly representing a so-called black nation that is "anti-mutant". I couldn't help drawing a parallel between this so-called black mutant-hating nation and Uganda whose President upon receiving findings from researchers in his country that there is no such thing as a "gay gene" pronounced that the findings reveal that one isn't born homosexual; homosexuality is learned. In the President's words; "What they have learned, they can unlearn."

Sons Of The Serpent = kkk and other white racist organizations. Santo Marco = Uganda and others opposing homosexuals.

On another note:  Too many X-Men and mutants in the first issue. The second issue appears as if it might be more of the same. Storm doesn't seem to be so "solo" as some of us might have liked for her to be. It looks as if instead of getting Ororo, we're about to get another O-Rut-Roh. The second issue of this ongoing will likely be the last I'll purchase.

Storm #1 might as well just be another satelite X-book based on the number of X-men that appeared in it.

The same tired "people of African descent hate mutants" tropes were trotted out right on schedule as well as the faux sermonizing/outrage that one has come to expect from the plethora of X-books released at any given time.

If this story had been written in any other book not closely tied to the X-franchise some the ame people praising it would have been lining up to diss the writer.

But then again, hypocrisy has ever been the default trait for some of the more fanatical X-fans.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:44:50 pm by Salustrade »

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »
The thing that annoys me severely is the notion of erstwhile Abercrombie and Fitch  models Summers and Frost parading about with their entitled whining of oppression one and two that people would look at mutants differently than super powered folks period. Nobody would see Grimm Torch Spider-Man Danvers differently than Storm Frost Iceman or Magneto. It's ridiculous as is the fandom mentality. Not to mention you find kinship with folk because you can burp fire and this one can pass snow but your ethnic group means nothing to you.No.