Author Topic: New Storm Ongoing Title  (Read 492563 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Storm Ongoing Title
« Reply #1980 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:28 am »

If Storm can beat up credible well liked Baddys like Shadow King and Seline singlehandedly, what chance do they have against the Xmen as a group? You kind of ruin them as team threats by having them lose to any solo member.

But with the Kenjis, Bogans and Calandra it doesn't matter. They were one off Xfoes at best.

That issue though is true of all the powerhouses.  Superman beats Brainac solo in his own title, but in another book it takes the whole Justice League to beat him.  Or Thor.  Thor has beaten Graviton in solo combat and while in other issues, the entire team of Avengers was needed to take down Graviton.    The same could be said of Iron Man or Green Lantern, or other power houses out there.  So, a good writer could get around that with Storm.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:54 pm »
Kenji? Seriously? The shameless Akira ripoff is the main villain of Storm's book?

He is the first stop on X-villains when you're to lazy or don't care enough to dig deeper in the villain list

Sugarman is more credibal then Kenji

I had go look up Kenji, Sugar man and Calandra to have any idea what you guys were talking about.

Sugar man looks like a Cavity Creep from those old Crest Commercials when I was a kid. I have no idea what that thing is supposed to be.

The rest of them ( and you can put Bogan in there too if anybody cares) are the kind of C list X-baddy that kind of has to be in solo Storm rogues gallery by definition.

If Storm can beat up credible well liked Baddys like Shadow King and Seline singlehandedly, what chance do they have against the Xmen as a group? You kind of ruin them as team threats by having them lose to any solo member.

But with the Kenjis, Bogans and Calandra it doesn't matter. They were one off Xfoes at best.

Thing is, Storm has proven twice that she can beat the Shadow King. Magneto has admitted that Storm has lost fights to him only because she holds back (and this is when she is being weakened for the story to prop him up on top of her holding herself back). Even back in the 80s, when Emma Frost was one of the big gun X-Men villains, Storm was able to best her in one-on-one combat as well (while Storm did not start out this way, she grew formidable enough to where Emma did not stand a chance against her in one-on-one combat). Outside of Storm, only Phoenix Force Jean Grey was proven to be able to defeat Emma Frost single-handedly.

I don't want to see Storm go down the list of X-Villains in her own solo title. I don't think it would be good to see her constantly fighting Magneto, Sinister, Selene, Shadow King, Apocalypse, etc in her book. Sure, every now and then they can pop up, but she needs a brand new rogues gallery created specifically for her title. These characters should have big powers and lots of readership appeal. Now, when starting out her book, I don't think it would be wise to go strictly with brand new villains. I think older, established, recognizable A-list villains should be included in the rotation of bad guys to appear in her book to draw readers in. I think these older, established A-list villains could also be drawn from other titles like the Avengers, Thor, FF, Thunderbolts, etc. I'd like to see Storm fight characters like Graviton, Hela, Blackheart, The Presence, Ego, The Living Planet and other A-list villains. This way, the older, popular villains keep people reading the book as the newer villains being created are developed into very appealing characters in their own right who can stand on their own as the book continues to build up her own personal rogue's gallery more.

One more thing, Candra and Bogan have a lot of untapped potential to be appealing villains. Bogan is in the Shadow King's power class and Candra is very similar to Selene. She can drain the life force of people just like Selene can plus she has the added power of telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis and teleportation. Like Selene, she is also an External (immortal). Given that she can amp her powers by draining life force, Candra can easily be made into a very powerful foe with potentially unlimited power. Bogan can also be another villain that can be made to wield potentially unlimited power. While his psi powers won't work against Ororo's mental defenses, he can certainly come at her through the vast number of people around her. These two can be included in the rotation of Storm villains alongside the more popular villains as they are shaped into A-listers in their own right.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:32:45 am by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:28 pm »
What's wrong with creating new villains for Storm to fight? Why plumb the depths or the dregs for existing villains? Some might not generate that much excitement. But if she has someone new, someone that's a mystery for the audience and for Storm as well, it might be better for the book.

Granted, I see a mix of old villains for familiarity purposes and new villains to give her a unique rogues gallery.

Offline Frostbite883

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 08, 2017, 09:06:28 am »
What's wrong with creating new villains for Storm to fight? Why plumb the depths or the dregs for existing villains? Some might not generate that much excitement. But if she has someone new, someone that's a mystery for the audience and for Storm as well, it might be better for the book.

Granted, I see a mix of old villains for familiarity purposes and new villains to give her a unique rogues gallery.

But, either way, two of those options are just fine for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:39:36 am by Frostbite883 »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #1984 on: July 08, 2017, 10:26:10 am »
Storm needs to be on way more merchandise (by herself).  Marvel Licensing is really dropping the ball, there's no excuse at this point for her not to be "everywhere" at least as prolific as black widow is on merchandise. T-shirts, coffee mugs, office stationery, etc.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 08, 2017, 11:24:19 pm »
Storm needs to be on way more merchandise (by herself).  Marvel Licensing is really dropping the ball, there's no excuse at this point for her not to be "everywhere" at least as prolific as black widow is on merchandise. T-shirts, coffee mugs, office stationery, etc.

You're just telling it like it is...

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 09, 2017, 05:25:54 am »
Storm as a character, is where her easily pleased (but mostly fairweather fans) have placed her.

That sunken place of total irrelevancy.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 09, 2017, 10:10:33 am »
Storm as a character, is where her easily pleased (but mostly fairweather fans) have placed her.

More like she's being ignored by writers because they prefer other characters (i.e. Guggenheim prefers Kitty, Fraction preferred Emma Frost, etc.).  Since Storm, when written well, would overshadow their pets, she is scaled back to give them the center stage.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 09, 2017, 03:36:10 pm »

More like she's being ignored by writers because they prefer other characters (i.e. Guggenheim prefers Kitty, Fraction preferred Emma Frost, etc.).  Since Storm, when written well, would overshadow their pets, she is scaled back to give them the center stage.

It's funny. Seems like the X-verse doesn't have much use for her until she's in someone else's book looking good. Then they want her back because of "plans".
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #1989 on: July 09, 2017, 05:33:51 pm »

It's funny. Seems like the X-verse doesn't have much use for her until she's in someone else's book looking good. Then they want her back because of "plans".

The above is baldly and clearly true when the "others" who have her looking good? IS THE BLACK PANTHER. If A-Force [ which was a good freakin book ] was still going strong? These same X-cruciatingly racist writers would have zero or vastly vastly less prob with her looking good with a cast of all female badazz warriors. Especially if the stories either linked her with a possible nonAfrikan love interest, or zero love interests at all.

But the split second a Afrikan male is in the picture? Be it Bishop or T'Challa [ especially T'Challa, more than anyone else ]? Oh. The hate is extreme; on some Candyland wrath of the slave master level. Added with that special viciousness that spiteful, malicious cowardice [ reenforced with the surefire knowledge that they will be protected by The Powers That Be regardless of their provocations and transgressions ] against specifically Afrikan men breeds in the minds and hearts of White and POC Unfans and X-fetish writers.

Those vomitous venal vituperous vipers need to be Shadow Physics blasted out of existence. Or? Better yet? They need to be mindwiped. Freed of their fear and hate of Afrikans. They need to shed their fears, release and share their pain...and be strengthened by the sharing.

Yeah. I went there.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 09, 2017, 10:53:59 pm »
It still amuses me that when Hudlin believably "made Storm black/racially aware" and tapped in to her blackness X-Fans, Storm Fans, and Unfans hated it. Because "Storm isn't like that". But now that she's pretty much an afterthought in the X-books they are co-signing on her being a "sudden woke Black Activist", in Coates' crap run.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 20, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »
It still amuses me that when Hudlin believably "made Storm black/racially aware" and tapped in to her blackness X-Fans, Storm Fans, and Unfans hated it. Because "Storm isn't like that". But now that she's pretty much an afterthought in the X-books they are co-signing on her being a "sudden woke Black Activist", in Coates' crap run.

Parasites are what they're called

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:32 pm »

Hudlin was ahead of his time. They wont woke yet. lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 20, 2017, 08:26:20 pm »

Hudlin was ahead of his time. They wont woke yet. lol

All of the writers from those years were. Can you image if had Mildstone launched this year.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:14 am »
So, can Storm control a Sharknado?  😂