Author Topic: CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY?
« on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:43 pm »
Which is your favorite (or worst) special day?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:22:16 pm »
Hmm..  X-Mas falls less than a week after my birthday.  Especially in my adult life, it's been non-eventful, either way (when's the last time I had anything resembling a b-day party.. 8th grade? geez).  On my last birthday I was nursing a sore right foot, walking was a pain.. The job had a "holiday party" the same day-- I didn't even bother..  :(  On the B-Day, I usually go see a movie after work.. So I guess the b-day is almost worse because I usually feel more isolated than ever (couples, couples, everywhere).. If I could stand alcohol I'd do quite a bit of drinking.

Mostly I just send Christmas cards.. My extended family is scattered all over the country.. The "Soul Food" movie-type gatherings are extremely few and far between from my vantage point.  I scarcely buy outright gifts anymore.. Even now, buying gift cards has become stre$$ful..   Christmas is hectic with the local relatives hassling over the meal.. grocery shopping.. the kitchen ends up off-limits for several days in a row.. I'm usually too broke to fly out somewhere and get some peace of mind.. I really don't relate to the traditional Christmas meal anymore. (turkey, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, greens, sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly, ambrosia salad, etc., and leftovers for two weeks afterward; gah!  I just want something else entirely now[Mexican; Jamaican/Caribbean; Italian], but I don't control the menu.)

I sneaked out to a Chinese restaurant last year, it felt so good..  :-\  I don't know... This year, for the B-day I'll have to do something special, hit up a nightclub, both days.. Especially if I've made my 'great escape' by then, it'll be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:42:44 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:21:50 pm »
My birthday lies smack dab in the week between my younger brother's and my mother's. If we celebrate anything, it is usually going to be on Mom's birthday.

I'll go with Christmas. We're more likely to get most of the family together and have a good time.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:32 pm »

Which do YOU prefer?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:38:42 am »

Which do YOU prefer?
I have kids, so Christmas is about them.  And the wife. 

I love Christmas music and always look forward to adding to that playlist. 

Gift wise, it's pretty even. Mainly clothes my wife chooses that I would never buy, but months later become my favorites.