Author Topic: Black Panther 23 -- Politics, Race and Insight  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther 23 -- Politics, Race and Insight
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »
BUT STORM has already stated that herself... i dont know which issue of xmen it was in.
She stated that when she first learned of her powers that she made it rain on a piece of arrid land to bring it to life, but inadvertantly caused a drought in a different part of Africa.

from that point on, she has to be careful on how she uses her powers becuz there IS a balance in the laws of nature that she must abide by.

Thanks for bringing that up. I wish other fans would remember that too.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:26:09 pm »
BUT STORM has already stated that herself... i dont know which issue of xmen it was in.
She stated that when she first learned of her powers that she made it rain on a piece of arrid land to bring it to life, but inadvertantly caused a drought in a different part of Africa.

from that point on, she has to be careful on how she uses her powers becuz there IS a balance in the laws of nature that she must abide by.

Quite a few "other" fans aren't even interested in KNOWING this in the first place.And if lovecrafty is an example of the people with whom you board-to-board battlers have given combat to,then it's almost like they possess a genetic defect which allows them to be articulate and intelligent on all things that don't deal with Black people and their racism/discomfort toward/with same.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

michaelintp

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:04:18 pm »
It is interesting to hear an explanation for superhero nonprevention of real-world catastrophes does exist (allowing real world issues to be addressed in comics). 

As to the race thing and people's comments ... such folk are both infuriating and disgusting.  And probably pointless to even converse with.

Though it would be interesting to see how any of 'em respond to this explanation for Storm's non-intervention regarding Katrina.  If that was the explanation given in the X-Men comics for her failure to prevent such events worldwide, it is difficult to understand why "certain fans" would hold it against the character.  We're are simply talkin' about a global dynamic in the imaginary comic book universe, that such a major positive regional intervention will have an equal and opposite negative effect someplace else. Now one might think this imaginary rule is silly, or maybe one doesn't, but it has NOTHING to do with the character of the character.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 05:25:54 am »
It is interesting to hear an explanation for superhero nonprevention of real-world catastrophes does exist (allowing real world issues to be addressed in comics). 

As to the race thing and people's comments ... such folk are both infuriating and disgusting.  And probably pointless to even converse with.

Though it would be interesting to see how any of 'em respond to this explanation for Storm's non-intervention regarding Katrina.  If that was the explanation given in the X-Men comics for her failure to prevent such events worldwide, it is difficult to understand why "certain fans" would hold it against the character.  We're are simply talkin' about a global dynamic in the imaginary comic book universe, that such a major positive regional intervention will have an equal and opposite negative effect someplace else. Now one might think this imaginary rule is silly, or maybe one doesn't, but it has NOTHING to do with the character of the character.

One problem with addressing "real world events" is Marvel's sliding timeline.  Originally, heroes meet Kennedy, Regan and I think the Beetles showed up at Sue and Reeds wedding.  But with the sliding time scale, all those events are negated out of continuity because they can't happen if the FF only went up about 7 to 10 years ago.  WIthin a few years, REggie's Katrina storyline will either be negated or changed into an imaginary huricane.

So some writers would rather never touch real world, because it "dates" the story.  (It's also the reason why some writers prefer made up slang, rather than real slang because it "dates" the book.)  On the other hand, it's a fine line to have fictional heroes intervene without diminishing the real world's heroes' efforts.  (for example, having Spider-man find the last survivor of the World Trade Center, would distort the real last survivor rescue.)  This is probably one reason why Reggie has BP focus on fighting vampires rather than focusing on relief efforts.

Easiest answer to "where were the heroes?" They were busy being heroes elsewhere.  Dr. Doom doesn't halt his plans because New Orleans flooded.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 06:48:28 am »
these last few points have been very good and insightful.

in times of major crisises, i have said to myself...i wish "superman" was here.
i KNOW i said that during 9/11...and that's real talk.

we needed help and all we could do was watch.

comics and heroes do have an amazing affect on us...whether u want to admit it or not.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline panthera kia

• View Profile
    • N'kia's Place
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 06:40:47 pm »

See issue #78 in X-Men vol.2.  Storm is talking to Ainet, and a flashback occurs stating what Storm said.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 07:22:36 am »
thanx Kia!
i'm glad you could find evidence to support my statement.
i knew i wasn't crazy

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 05:31:49 am »
thanx Kia!
i'm glad you could find evidence to support my statement.
i knew i wasn't crazy

Wellllll......I wouldn't go so far as to say you weren't "crazy" my dear brother  :D

You do have your moments afterall  ;)
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 11:07:18 am »
*kicks sins shins*
you brought this thread back up just to get at me?
hahahhaha...
oh...it's on ...brother.

:)