Author Topic: The Pursuit of Happyness  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
The Pursuit of Happyness
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:51:55 pm »
Anyone watch this yet, I really wanna check it out?

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Pursuit of Happyness
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:14:47 am »
I did, real motivating movie. Will has really come full circle as an actor. His son was an excellent choice in casting. Will might have just passed Denzel as hollywood's best male actor.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 06:57:05 pm »
It's a MUST SEE.  Excellent film. Stayed with me for days afterward.  Can't say that much.

Offline masigl4179

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:24:47 pm »
I went and saw the movie, and then read the book. It is a memorable and inspirational story. It made me think about all the struggles I went through and had to overcome in college and deal with now today as a realtor. If Chris Gardner could survive on the street with a baby, then that motivates me to do what I need to do.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 05:29:50 pm »
Just got back -- spilled my ***damned Rasp. Ice Tea all over the nice white folks sitting around me... they felt sorry for me -- don't you hate that?

Man, this movie grabs you all inside and doesn't let up.  Just when things can't get any worse for a brother guess what?  they do.  Will-- er, Chris hit rock bottom, then fell through that floor to all new lows, I mean damn!

Will was excellent.  I almost lost it in tears near the end -- almost, but I kept it together.  Man, if you haven't -- go now -- don't wait for video.  Grab your wife, girlfriend, kids, whoever and make it a date.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 05:50:01 am »
As part of DAY 1 of my 3 day birfday weekend celebration, my wife and I went to go see The Pursuit of happyness last nite.
Wow.
It was very moving and inspirational.
I can't stop thinkni' about it.
I think you all should go and check it out.
Please.

:D

Consider it a birfday gift from you to me, aiight?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:04 am »
Overall I liked the movie.

However I have issues with it.

THe issues with it are what make Will Smith loved by white folks.  The reason he is so loved by white America is because he's a good safe Negro.  The tone of the movie with very conservative and promoted the highly individualistic themes such as "pull yourself up by your bootstraps."  This movie promoted the idea of a raceless society where with hard work a Black person can succeed with NO racial obstacles.  With hard work can Black people succeed? YEs of course, I'm working hard everyday and in time I plan to succeed.  I have plans and I'm finishing my education.  My problem however is that the movie showed an America that was not hindered by its belief and practice in Black inferiority institutionally, socially and individually.  Even the white guy's surprise reaction to will's character's ease at solving the Rubix cube was distinctly explained away by the earlier news report on the complexity of Rubix cube.

Will remains popular because he remains safe.  His roles rarely if ever challenge the status quo and particularly his roles where his Blackness is a factor (e.g. Bagger Vance, Chris Gardner).  Ali would have been the closest to that challenge but
1. he's loved by white folk presently because of his supreme athleticism
2. his portrayal was lukewarm at best.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 08:39:34 am »
yeah, when i went to see this movie, i said to myself, i'll finally see a Will Smith movie were he isn't running or doing some kind of athletic display...to my surprise, he's doing more running in this "drama" than any of his other "action" films.. The movie was cool though..Will's performance was the same as any other movie imo.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:56 am »
maaaannnnn, was he runnin'!
haahahahaah... my wife said "dang, he makin' me tired!"

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 09:55:25 am »
maaaannnnn, was he runnin'!
haahahahaah... my wife said "dang, he makin' me tired!"

lol

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 10:58:33 am »
His first movie role was as the guy who impersonated Sidney Poitier (sp) son, where he played a gay character. True it was a gay fresh prince of bel air but it different. Hitch was a non-athletic role. Oh that was the fresh prince to. :D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:57:49 am »
6 degrees of separation is the film that had will play a gay swindler.