Author Topic: Who Will The Rock Play?  (Read 9264 times)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
Who Will The Rock Play?
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:27 pm »
The other thread had this big warning about resurrecting threads that are 120 days or older. :D

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/560082/20140723/dwayne-johnson-captain-marvel-shazam.htm

Fingers crossed for Captain Marvel.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Who Will The Rock Play?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:40 pm »
The other thread had this big warning about resurrecting threads that are 120 days or older. :D

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/560082/20140723/dwayne-johnson-captain-marvel-shazam.htm

Previously he was slated for Black Adam.  Which I always thought was an insult.  Who is better than him for Shazam!

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:06 pm »

Previously he was slated for Black Adam.  Which I always thought was an insult.  Who is better than him for Shazam!

Yeah you and I were in agreement on the previous thread. You get more mileage out of him playing the hero.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 05:44:53 pm »
I still think he is the perfect Black Adam, but I can now see him as Shazam.   If they don't play the dark Shazam we see in comics today,  I can see his smile as Shazam 's face.

I just don't know who has a strong enough presence and the right look to play BA against him.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »
I just don't know who has a strong enough presence and the right look to play BA against him.

What's interesting is no one (or at least not many) pondered the inverse when he was the favorite to play BA, as in "who has a strong enough presence and the right look to play Captain Marvel/Shazam! against him." Which kinda baffled me since that's kinda more important, especially since DC looks to do a bit of worldbuilding in their movies. The only person I can think of coming close to that is Channing Tatum, but he's already been hired as Gambit for the X-Men franchise.

In any case, someone who could conceivably kick The Rock's ass will do. Matching charm for charm would be a bonus but not necessary. But hey I'm not writing nor directing. However. Throw some pointy ears on Marko Zaror, put him on the same regimen the Rock will be on to bulk up even further (the man is already built so he doesn't have far to go), and voila.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:38:32 pm »

What's interesting is no one (or at least not many) pondered the inverse when he was the favorite to play BA, as in "who has a strong enough presence and the right look to play Captain Marvel/Shazam! against him." Which kinda baffled me since that's kinda more important, especially since DC looks to do a bit of worldbuilding in their movies. The only person I can think of coming close to that is Channing Tatum, but he's already been hired as Gambit for the X-Men franchise.

You see, I don't see Captain Marevel, or rather Shazam as someone with that kind of commanding presence.  If we are dealing with the 80s-2010 version and not the snot nose kid version we see today, then Billy is the bigger role than Shazam.  And Shazam is an ultra boy-scout (which the Rock can do well too.)  But that's my point, Shazam has less of a commanding presence than BA. 

The CM/Shazam of Justice League United and the comics was very yielding to the other members of the team.  He looked up to them like a kid looking up to Superman.  He could and did stand his ground against them, but it was because he was right, not because he had the leadership persona.  For the last 30 years, and even the current snot-nose version, CM acts like a 10 year old in a 35 year old body.  That's not a strong presence.

Actually, Channing Tatum to the Rock (as we saw in the last GI Joe movie) is very close to the kind of dynamic difference I see between Shazam and BA.  The Rock's character was the stronger, more mature role, but Tatum was the good guy commanding officer.

Plus, BA might be in the movie more than Shazam is.  Since if this is an origin movie, we might go half the movie before seeing the Rock and depending on how they play it, Shazam could be in the movie for only a third of it.  It is Billy that will carry the movie.  It's like the Hulk movies; the actors are actually more important to the movie than the Hulk.

(Now, throw out everything I said, if we are talking about Shazam on the JLA because then it will be 90 percent Shazam and only 10 percent Billy.  But I got the impression this would be a Shazam movie, not a JLA movie.  )

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:08:47 pm »
You see, I don't see Captain Marevel, or rather Shazam as someone with that kind of commanding presence.

Ah ok. For me I was thinking about it in regards of charm, since Cavill and Affleck will have the commanding presence covered. Plus believability (I think Gadot will pull off a convincing Wonder Woman). When I think of Captain Marvel, I think of the joy and wonder of children who think "If only I was bigger look what I would do!" and then suddenly that wish coming true. I think that direction would endear the general audience to Shazam if they go in that direction. Someone who keeps a light about them when everything around them is so dark. The Rock can do that quite well. I saw him as pretty much the hope of the team, not the commanding presence, as that would make him a bit redudent. He would need something else to set him apart from Superman since the general audience could think "same power set minus heat vision, what's the point".

Actually, Channing Tatum to the Rock (as we saw in the last GI Joe movie) is very close to the kind of dynamic difference I see between Shazam and BA.  The Rock's character was the stronger, more mature role, but Tatum was the good guy commanding officer.

That dynamic would have worked. I guess its too late now, since Tatum seems enthused to play Gambit.

(Now, throw out everything I said, if we are talking about Shazam on the JLA because then it will be 90 percent Shazam and only 10 percent Billy.  But I got the impression this would be a Shazam movie, not a JLA movie.  )

Unless I'm missing something, isn't that the point? DC is trying to catch up with The Avengers so they're essentially making Batman v Superman a prequal to a Justice League movie. So they're getting the characters in order for a Justice League movie to come right after. Otherwise if they come out with solo movies first (solo movies that could bomb (re: Green Lantern)) we won't see a Justice League movie till, what 2018, if we're lucky?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:31:03 am »
You see, I don't see Captain Marevel, or rather Shazam as someone with that kind of commanding presence.

Ah ok. For me I was thinking about it in regards of charm, since Cavill and Affleck will have the commanding presence covered. Plus believability (I think Gadot will pull off a convincing Wonder Woman). When I think of Captain Marvel, I think of the joy and wonder of children who think "If only I was bigger look what I would do!" and then suddenly that wish coming true. I think that direction would endear the general audience to Shazam if they go in that direction. Someone who keeps a light about them when everything around them is so dark. The Rock can do that quite well. I saw him as pretty much the hope of the team, not the commanding presence, as that would make him a bit redudent. He would need something else to set him apart from Superman since the general audience could think "same power set minus heat vision, what's the point".

If they go the route of the more traditional Shazam, I'd agree; Rock has the personality to be the wide-eye pre-teen in the body of a 35 year old.  But if they are following Man of Steel, these movies are dark and not fun like the Marvel movies, so we might get a Shazam with a major chip on his shoulder.  (Yes, Rock can play that too, but it would be a missed opportunity.  If he is going to play dark, then let him play the darker BA.)

Unless I'm missing something, isn't that the point? DC is trying to catch up with The Avengers so they're essentially making Batman v Superman a prequal to a Justice League movie. So they're getting the characters in order for a Justice League movie to come right after. Otherwise if they come out with solo movies first (solo movies that could bomb (re: Green Lantern)) we won't see a Justice League movie till, what 2018, if we're lucky?

Perhaps, but I just thought I read that the Rock's movie was not part of the JLA movie.  At least not his first movie.  I might be mis-remembering that.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 07:13:33 am »
I would hope SHAZAM is stand alone.  Except for KINGDOM COME, I don't think that character meshes well in the DCU.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 05:13:44 pm »
Friend of mine heard that the Rock wants to play Black Adam; he wants to be the bad guy.  Anyone hear any comments from him about who he wants to play?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Says He Will Play This DC Superhero Or Villain

The Associated Press reports Johnson is up for the roles of superhero Shazam and anti-hero Black Adam. According to AP, it sounds like Johnson has the final say in who he gets to play. “[He] has yet to decide between superhero Shazam and his arch-nemesis Black Adam.” The Rock has previously told fans Black Adam is one of his favorite superheroes. 

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 04:02:23 pm »
I would hope SHAZAM is stand alone.  Except for KINGDOM COME, I don't think that character meshes well in the DCU.

Agreed. There are a lot of DC characters I feel don't mesh well with their universe.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:58:57 am »
I am very angry.  >:(  I'm not supporting this, but hey, I guess fans will get their 'real' Cap Marvel after all.. *sigh*:

http://www.newsarama.com/22027-the-rock-apparently-confirms-black-adam-future-role.html

The Rock is saying SHAZAM, but it’s not to be Billy Batson’s alter-ego.

”"Kneel at his feet or get crushed by his boot." My honor to become.. #BlackAdam #TheAntiHero #DCComics” That’s what Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson tweeted just moments ago late Wednesday morning, apparently confirming that he is in fact taking the role of Black Adam in an upcoming movie for DC Entertainment.
The actor has been teasing an upcoming role with DC and Warner Bros for months, and leaning heavily towards Black Adam, the “Anti-Hero” who acts as a foil for the hero now known as Shazam. The choice was reportedly Johsnon's to make, and his long-standing love for the darker character was well-known.

Black Adam is a character born in the early days of civilization who was one of, if not the first, to wield the magical superpowers of Shazam. In some stories, he is a true anti-hero, just doing everything he can in the service of his people (Think The Punisher with Superman’s powers), and in some he has been an outright villain, terrorizing the world. It seems we’ll see more of the former than the latter.

Warner Bros has not yet commented on the apparent hiring, nor on when and where Johnson will appear in the role of Black Adam.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:02:34 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 10:17:29 am »
I am very angry.  >:(  I'm not supporting this, but hey, I guess fans will get their 'real' Cap Marvel after all.. *sigh*:

I feel the exact opposite. I'm ready for The Rock to steal this movie! Maybe it's because I love Black Adam but could always take or leave Captain Marvel.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 11:18:18 am »
Super-Man is going to need someone to punch.  Don't think it would be a good idea for him to go around punching Bat Villains.  I like this choice.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."