Author Topic: NPR scheduled to end 'Tell Me More'  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
NPR scheduled to end 'Tell Me More'
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »
NPR To End 'Tell Me More'

by David Folkenflik
May 20, 2014

Washington, DC - NPR announced Tuesday that it would cease broadcast of the weekday program 'Tell Me More' on Aug. 1 and eliminate 28 positions as part of a larger effort to end the company's persistent budget deficits.

In an interview after the news was announced, Martin sounded shaken, saying her program had exceeded expectations in terms of the number of stations carrying it and had drawn a more diverse audience to NPR.

"To be honest with you, I think we've been casualties of executive churn," Martin said. "Every CEO who has been at this network since I've been here — and how many are there now? Six? Seven? — all of them have supported this program, but none of them have stayed around long enough to institutionalize that support."

She said NPR's record with shows intended to appeal to African-American listeners speaks for itself.

But, Martin said, "clearly, it's not enough in this environment to fulfill an editorial mission. You've got to be supported across the board by every element of the organization. ... And I don't think that's always happened."

Martin admitted having "scar tissue" from her show's cancellation. But she also said she wants to hold NPR to its mission and its promises.

"We've done a lot to show what's possible here and I want to keep that going," Martin said. "I can't say you need to do better at serving these audiences and then walk away from it. I don't think that's fair."

--------------------------------------------

This is the last week 'Tell Me More' hosted by Michel Martin runs its daily afternoon radio show at NPR and I firmly believe it is a little more than coincidence that this unfortunate turn of events happens just before the 2014 mid-term elections.
Looks like the ultra conservative, republican tea party types are finally getting what they want; they wanted to dismantle NPR ever since President Obama was re-elected.

Would You Like To Know More?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/20/314256024/npr-to-end-tell-me-more-lay-off-28-people

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NPR scheduled to end 'Tell Me More'
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:40:05 am »
With the limited amount of radio stations that has a "black perspective" this is a major blow. Will RadioOne step up and attempt to give her a show? Seriously RadioOne this is the opportunity. My hostile takeover of them isn't coming soon enough. There is no way I would let her slip away and disappear.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:45:04 am »
With the limited amount of radio stations that has a "black perspective" this is a major blow. Will RadioOne step up and attempt to give her a show? Seriously RadioOne this is the opportunity. My hostile takeover of them isn't coming soon enough. There is no way I would let her slip away and disappear.

I'm quite certain her [and our] political opponents were hoping for that.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:06 am »
That's irrelevant. The question remains who is going to step up and find a way to take her away from NPR and keep the show and concept on the air?
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:47:54 am »
That's irrelevant. The question remains who is going to step up and find a way to take her away from NPR and keep the show and concept on the air?

It's very relevant,   BmoreAkuma.

I get what you're sayin', however, our political opponents do not want her [Martin] presenting information to an audience, which is a huge chunk of the African American market share,  in radio that she provides.  Did you not read the article?  Ms. Martin says that "...her program had exceeded expectations in terms of the number of stations carrying it and had drawn a more diverse audience to NPR."   
That extension is a threat to the whole ultra conservative, republican tea party movement.
If anyone is going to acquire 'Tell Me More' hosted by Michel Martin there are other challenges that exist; you'd have to deal what territories can you extend her radio program to what audiences who don't own online devies.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:15 am »
I knew of the cancellation months ago when it was first announced here locally in Baltimore. I was listener of the only station that played the show WEAA (Morgan State University Radio). It is a major blow.  I do know that WHUR wasn't playing the show. (Howard University Public Radio). So it makes you wonder did the show actually tap all of the "urban" markets as they claim? There are 22 under RadioOne for example and the majority of are in the east coast.

The challenges are expected and having the "conservative boogeyman" is the reason why the show may have been canceled doesn't fly. So the show will disappear and she'll only "appear" in segments once the topic of "race" comes into play. We have to be honest here that the majority of the audience that listen to NPR are not black folk. The show wasn't "mainstream enough". It is what it is.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:39 am »
'Conservative boogeyman'?  ???

Y'know, what? 

I won't engage in back and forth texting with someone who refuses to see the obvious. 
I'll just say, "You don't understand the game"  and leave it at that.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
From the (very little) I know Radio One doesn't have anybody who broadcasts nationally, unless Ed Lover is national or Mike Baisen works for them. So if they picked Martin up she'd be one of the first National broadcaster for them.

NPR gets a small pittance from the Federal government for funding and Congress resent even doing that,
they hate Public TV just as much IMO, but nobody wants to be the guy that killed Sesame Street and Nova.

So like Public TV NPR gets most of its money by passing the hat around.

And since NPR listeners if I were gonna typecast them are mostly the real life equivalent of Frazier and Niels Crane, Tell Me More isn't something that is bringing in the pledge dollars.

Jazz Set and Ted Radio Hour they will open thier wallets for.

Tell Me More...not so much

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:10 pm »
'Conservative boogeyman'?  ???

Y'know, what? 

I won't engage in back and forth texting with someone who refuses to see the obvious. 
I'll just say, "You don't understand the game"  and leave it at that.
Indeed lets take out facts of what was the deal and just point fingers

From the (very little) I know Radio One doesn't have anybody who broadcasts nationally, unless Ed Lover is national or Mike Baisen works for them. So if they picked Martin up she'd be one of the first National broadcaster for them.

NPR gets a small pittance from the Federal government for funding and Congress resent even doing that,
they hate Public TV just as much IMO, but nobody wants to be the guy that killed Sesame Street and Nova.

And since NPR listeners if I were gonna typecast them are mostly the real life equivalent of Frazier and Niels Crane, Tell Me More isn't something that is bringing in the pledge dollars.

Exactly the radio show didn't have as much of an audience as people are trying to pretend they had. I loved the Barbershop segment however it just didn't have the amount of people to listen. Hell the show "came back" to the Baltimore area some time ago last year (even though its been on for 7)

As for the point of a "national" they have Steve Harvey, part ownership of the company that operates Tom Joyner and yes the new addition of Ed Lover. This would be the "first" news oriented segment on RadioOne.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »

'Tell Me More' hosted by Michel Martin is a qualitative 1 hour long talk show.   Your point about this current 'do nothing' Congress not wanting to fund the show is exactly the point everyone 'in the know' was making; The ultra conservative republican tea party movement does not want to fund a program that criticizes or competes with their brand of programming especially if the radio show appeals to African Americans, however, I firmly believe that if the show were to go national backed by a financially secure entertainment entity, its placement would have a stronger influence on the 'big picture'.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:10 am »

That is the more accurate description of the problem. 

Public broadcasting...both televised and radio...are not designed like commercial networks.  They don't all air the same shows, or broadcast them at the same time when they do.  They don't do national campaigns to support those shows unless a national sponsor/underwriter does so.  This approach cripples all their programming by limiting their audience. 

So the shows are left to the fundraising abilities of each station, which can wildly vary.  Their audience can as well.  So it's tough for any show that's not exactly on demo for the npr audience. 

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 07:12:59 am »
Saw Michel Martin on MH-P this weekend she is always so information and balanced.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 08:07:13 am »
I know one of the producers at WEAA and he told me how much of a big blow it was for them. When they got the “show back”, she was invited to the campus studio with open arms. The radio station changed their lineup to have her show on. She had the 11am slot (which is the “live” recorded broadcast)

This was the segment as in the last day of the show
6:00 AM   The Baltimore Blend
8:00 AM   Democracy NOW! (News/Talk)
9:00 AM   The Marc Steiner Show (Talk)
11:00 AM   Tell Me More
12:00 PM   Cool Vibes For Your Midday (Jazz)
2:00 PM   The Cool Jazz Countdown
3:00 PM   In The Groove (Jazz)
5:00 PM   The Anthony McCarthy Show (Talk)
7:00 PM   Listen Up!
8:00 PM   The Friday Night Jazz Club

This is the segment right now.
6:00 AM   The Baltimore Blend
9:00 AM   Democracy NOW! (News/Talk)
10:00 AM   The Marc Steiner Show (Talk)
12:00 PM   Cool Vibes For Your Midday (Jazz)
2:00 PM   In The Groove (Jazz)
5:00 PM   The Anthony McCarthy Show (Talk)
7:00 PM   Urban Health Beat
8:00 PM   Jazz Straight Ahead