Author Topic: Black Panther vs Apollo Creed  (Read 45470 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: Black Panther vs Apollo Creed
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 01:58:13 pm »
I think you're giving Stallone way too much intellectual credit.  Dude didn't put any symbolism into his movies.  He's too dumb for that.

Box office stats would disagree. ;D

Rocky: domestic gross $117,235,147
Rocky 2: $85,182,160
Rocky 3: $124,146,897
Rocky 4: $127,873,716
Rocky 5(and here's where the wheels came off): $40,946,358

but wait...the sh*t aint over...

Rocky Balboa: $65,723,000 domestic and counting.  With a budget of 24mil, Balboa is a certified hit.

I left off the Rambo numbers because we're discussing Rocky flicks.  Stallone may not be the best actor in the world, but dude is far from stupid.  He wrote the first Rocky film and held out until the studio allowed him to play the lead.  Career made, the rest is history.

I agree that Stallone is much sharper than the average person gives him credit for.He also wrote RAMBO and did the training in MA for it...something that was pretty revolutionary for American actors during that time...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2007, 02:01:28 pm »
Rocky does have white supremcist undertones or at least that's the way I see it. I liked the first one and the last one. The rest are crap loaded propaganda.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:35 pm »
What the hell does the race have to do with the battle, damn fellaz.  It's 2 people fighting, stick with the damn thread topic.  And it doesn't have $#!7 to do wtih the movies.  Just put Apollo in the MU and have them fight.  "What if hes was white, what if Rocky was black doesn't have $%#& to do with it.  Try to stay on topic, dayum.

/end vent  >:(

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2007, 02:16:33 pm »
one punch Apollo is dead T'Challa wins. ;D
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2007, 02:43:06 pm »

I loved COMING TO AMERICA and thought the barber shop scene was pure genius.  Murphy mocked both sides with that scene.  On the one hand, you had a white guy clinging to Marciano.  On the other, you had a black guy getting outrageous in his defense of Louis.  "Joe Louis was 87 years old!"  No matter how many times I see, I always laugh at that exchange.

I've experienced questionable and memorable commentary from people as well.  I'm going to remember this commentary about ROCKY, for example. ;)

you are thinking about the wrong Eddie Murphy scene.  His commentary on Rocky was in his stand-up movie, Raw.

I think you will also find this very memorable.

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2007, 02:59:36 pm »
What the hell does the race have to do with the battle, damn fellaz.  It's 2 people fighting, stick with the damn thread topic.  And it doesn't have $#!7 to do wtih the movies.  Just put Apollo in the MU and have them fight.  "What if hes was white, what if Rocky was black doesn't have $%#& to do with it.  Try to stay on topic, dayum.

maybe if the thread topic didn't suck so bad.  I mean Creed got killed by an idiot Russian. Tchalla beatdown 6 men solo in his draws.  No contest?

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2007, 03:05:57 pm »
With all these new members to this board in the past week and the posts made inthis thread remind me why Black folks have and need to have barbershops, street corners, pool halls etc, to commune with one another away from others outside of the community.  If it weren't for these outlets we would go insane because of the insistence on outsiders defining our reality.

Anyways back to the topic at hand...

Oh wait Apollo Creed got whooped...

NEXT!

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2007, 03:12:53 pm »
Many people either don't know or won't admit when they do go in looking for something.  I think you have to be looking for it to come away from ROCKY thinking it has anything to do with satisfying many white people's desire for white superiority.

Now couldn't you say the same about people coming away from Reggie's books thinking that it has anything to do with portraying all or most whites as racist?

I mean, first, Rocky lost the first bout even though Creed wasn't properly trained.  And second, Rocky won the rematch but only by ONE SECOND and it was outright stated that he couldn't have won had he not trained to fight right-handed.  And let's not forget that it is strongly implied in the third film that Rocky's win is also due in part to the fact Creed was no longer at his best (having lost "the eye of the tiger, the edge!").  So I can't see any reasonable way one could come away from the series believing that it had anything to do with proving white superiority.

I agree with you here.  Add that Creed would have won if he would have stayed away in the last round as instructed instead of going for the KO and Rocky lost the first fight to Lang.  And the next two movies involve white adversaries.  So including the most recent movie, we have 3 black opponents and two white opponents..  Also, Stallone did write the script in anticipation of playing the lead role himself and the movie was inspired by an Ali fight.  He wanted an Ali type character to play the champion.

But I do think, as you guys have discussed, that the success of the movie was greatly influenced by the lead character's race and the fact that he was overcoming the then black dominated heavyweight championship.  But that has nothing to do with Stalone's motivations.

I came away from ROCKY believing it played off of the desire of the down-on-their-lucks to believe they can rise above the obstacles that face them and thrive.  That they can reach the unreachable star, beat the unbeatable foe, right the unrightable wrong, etc. etc.

Agreed.  And I believe that Stalone strongly had himself in mind when creating this character.

Offline sharcque

• I'm kinda old, but chicks still dig me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2007, 03:24:39 pm »

Why are you surprised?  It always happens.  Every single thread that's started here has undertones of white people hating black people.  Haven't you learned?

Offline Jonathanos

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2007, 03:47:21 pm »

I loved COMING TO AMERICA and thought the barber shop scene was pure genius.  Murphy mocked both sides with that scene.  On the one hand, you had a white guy clinging to Marciano.  On the other, you had a black guy getting outrageous in his defense of Louis.  "Joe Louis was 87 years old!"  No matter how many times I see, I always laugh at that exchange.

I've experienced questionable and memorable commentary from people as well.  I'm going to remember this commentary about ROCKY, for example. ;)

you are thinking about the wrong Eddie Murphy scene.  His commentary on Rocky was in his stand-up movie, Raw.

Personally, I find the CTA scene to be superior.

If you're referring strictly to the commentary-- Eddie Murphy may very well have come upon some people like that, but I don't think he was trying to suggest that it was due to a message the movies were trying to get across.

Offline Jonathanos

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »
Many people either don't know or won't admit when they do go in looking for something.  I think you have to be looking for it to come away from ROCKY thinking it has anything to do with satisfying many white people's desire for white superiority.

Now couldn't you say the same about people coming away from Reggie's books thinking that it has anything to do with portraying all or most whites as racist?

There's a poster at herochat doing a detailed thread of what he dislikes about the run and how he views it.  Some things I agree with, others I don't.

http://herochat.com/forum/index.php/topic,127072.msg2030477.html#msg2030477

I came away from ROCKY believing it played off of the desire of the down-on-their-lucks to believe they can rise above the obstacles that face them and thrive.  That they can reach the unreachable star, beat the unbeatable foe, right the unrightable wrong, etc. etc.

Agreed.  And I believe that Stalone strongly had himself in mind when creating this character.

I think this can be stated as a fact, actually.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:58:28 pm by Jonathanos »

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 06:07:20 pm »
Raw.

did someone say raw?

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
Yall just don't know how close I have been to 1) deleting this thread 2) closing this thread 3) renaming the topic to take any mention of the black panther out of it and moving it somewhere else. Focus mayne focus.

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2007, 06:29:08 pm »
Yall just don't know how close I have been to 1) deleting this thread 2) closing this thread 3) renaming the topic to take any mention of the black panther out of it and moving it somewhere else. Focus mayne focus.

8)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:40:39 pm by Yaw »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2007, 06:43:12 pm »
delete it homey.
i won't miss it.

oh shucks... 24 is back on.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!