Author Topic: Black Panther vs Apollo Creed  (Read 29804 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther vs Apollo Creed
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2007, 06:47:20 am »
But I'm still thinking that they should have made him a real black guy/alien. Superman is white as most of the Kriptonians we've seen then why can Icon be a black alien from a mostly black planet? I guess that if I was a comic writer and would have made Icon that way.
You know, I always thought that the notion of a planet full of alien white people was ridiculous.  The solution McDuffie and crew came up with seems really smart to me.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2007, 06:53:58 am »
But I'm still thinking that they should have made him a real black guy/alien. Superman is white as most of the Kriptonians we've seen then why can Icon be a black alien from a mostly black planet? I guess that if I was a comic writer and would have made Icon that way.
To paraphrase Icon, he's been a black man for longer than anyone else on the planet. ;)

I get what your saying, but the book works because Icon represents the history of African Americans, from slavery to the Harlem Renaissance to standing at MLK's side and on, while Rocket represents the reality of inner-city African-Americans in modern times.

Heh, Icon's real name was Arnus, and he looked like 'Kermit the frog with a better profile'.

The point to the character was that he had experienced slavery, Jim Crow and the Harlem Renaissance FIRSTHAND. Moreover, by the time Icon finally got back to his home planet a century later, his people has effectively cloned a replacement of him, rendering his return moot. During the time he was off-planet with Rocket he was replaced by Buck Wilde, Mercenary Man (Perhaps the funniest Luke Cage parody ever).

In retrospect, Icon was probably on of the better books published by Milestone. Milestone main failing (thru no fault of its own) was that it came out during the same time Image and Valiant did.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2007, 07:08:13 am »
Yeah, leave Rocky alone, he's the greatest sports hero in Philadelphia history, at least give them that.

Oh really? Well, where does that leave their REAL heavyweight boxing champion, "Smokin'" Joe Frazier? And what about Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker?

Uh oh...my post total adds up to the number 8. Time to hibernate, with my "Hero Member" self  :D

Will return in a few...

I dunno where it leaves them, maybe I'll have an idea when they raise their statues, lol.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2007, 07:22:56 am »
Yeah, leave Rocky alone, he's the greatest sports hero in Philadelphia history, at least give them that.

Oh really? Well, where does that leave their REAL heavyweight boxing champion, "Smokin'" Joe Frazier? And what about Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker?

Uh oh...my post total adds up to the number 8. Time to hibernate, with my "Hero Member" self  :D

Will return in a few...

I dunno where it leaves them, maybe I'll have an idea when they raise their statues, lol.

I hope that when they do raise a statue to "Smokin'" Joe Frazier, it will be a statue worthy of a Champion and not like that thing of Rocky Balboa some in Philadelphia call a statue. A member of Philadelphia's Art Commission didn't want that hunk of misshappen bronze anywhere near the art museum. He said, that's not a statue, "it's a prop". Which is exactly what it is  ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/09/06/rocky-statue.html
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2007, 07:52:09 am »

Will return in a few...

I hope that when they do raise a statue to "Smokin'" Joe Frazier, it will be a statue worthy of a Champion and not like that thing of Rocky Balboa some in Philadelphia call a statue. A member of Philadelphia's Art Commission didn't want that hunk of misshappen bronze anywhere near the art museum. He said, that's not a statue, "it's a prop". Which is exactly what it is  ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/09/06/rocky-statue.html

Yep, I agree with you totally, but as a Cowboy fan, the way Philadelphia has taken to that movie has been a cornerstone of my scorn for a long time.  It's all good though, great series of movie.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

GrimSkill

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2007, 02:15:08 pm »
yea,good movies  ;D

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2007, 02:39:51 pm »
yea,good movies  ;D

Either sarcasm, or did we just agree on something?
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron