Author Topic: Moving On: Laying "Old" Marvel to Rest  (Read 2750 times)

The_Scribe

Moving On: Laying "Old" Marvel to Rest
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:35:38 am »
Once upon a time, Black kids like myself and others had hundreds of Marvel comic books in various boxes.  They were alphabetized.  Then they were numbered for easy finding and trading.  Temp trading was fun, "I'll let you read this if you let me read that." 

Once upon at time, Black kids asked their parents for cable in order to see cartoon episodes of Spiderman.  Marvel is still using the catchy jingle, "Spiderman, Spiderman, do anything a spider can."  etc.  Black kids loved watching Electric Company to catch an episode of Spiderman which teachers liked as well. 

Marvel should be complimented for the string of Black characters portrayed in the comics and in film.  Marvel should be thanked for continuing commitments to throw a little pepper in a sea of salt.  Really, they should be thanked.  I will continue to follow and pay for Marvel movie products.  I saw Spidey 2 using PPV just yesterday. 

I predicted something not so positive well over a decade ago.  Many speculated online for the release of a Luke Cage or Black Panther movie.  The day I saw a blood sucking Blade movie before one of the first Black superheroes, I knew.  New Marvel will never do a Luke Cage movie.  A Black Panther movie will not get made any time soon if ever.  It's about competition.  Black people can do Black people at the Movies, e.g., Hancock.  Why stimulate a desire to see more Black heroes knowing someone else can do it better.  When the discussion began, my hair was completely Black.  Now, my hair has greyed.  Time has proven me correct. 

It is past time for Black people to take the reigns of image control.  Nothing against Marvel.  It has done a fine job so far.  We all now see that any company is only going so far.  That is the reality.  This is a positive.  This is an opportunity.  The new challenge should be to get White people to buy Black products like Black people once bought White products.  We should get to work.  Some people are already doing good works in that area.  Don't think "funeral" of old Marvel.  Think "Launch Party" for new ventures. 

I did not let my hair grow grey waiting on Marvel to do a Panther or Cage movie.  Don't you do it either. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:37:11 am by The_Scribe »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Moving On: Laying "Old" Marvel to Rest
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:11:00 pm »
Dude...

I empathize with you but you have to be patient.

A lot of times, certain movie projects are not finalized simply because the timing is not right. There are many, many, many, many, many, reasons why The Black Panther or Luke Cage has not made it to the big screen yet but not for the reasons you state.

Think about this:

Jack Kirby never got to see any of his creations in the movies...   

...but Stan Lee did.

The_Scribe

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »
It's not about Cage or Panther. 

I think Marvel has done all they can do for equal human rights in media representation. 

This is not the 1970s. Marvel and other companies listened to the Black community for inclusion and the dollar vote.  It is time we complete the maturation process. 

My compliments to all those writers, directors and producers that did not wait for SuperMovieCompany to save the day.  Thank you producers of The Matrix.  Thank you producers of Hancock.  Thank you producers of I, Robot etc.  Thanks everybody.  See you at the movies - as a matured people. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:17:28 pm »
It's not about Cage or Panther. 

I think Marvel has done all they can do for equal human rights in media representation. 

This is not the 1970s. Marvel and other companies listened to the Black community for inclusion and the dollar vote.  It is time we complete the maturation process. 

My compliments to all those writers, directors and producers that did not wait for SuperMovieCompany to save the day.  Thank you producers of The Matrix.  Thank you producers of Hancock.  Thank you producers of I, Robot etc.  Thanks everybody.  See you at the movies - as a matured people.

I feel you.

...but is your concern about people of color in superhero movies...?    ...or just people of color in any action movie?   ???

The_Scribe

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:01:19 am »
I am older.  I come from a generation where equal rights, including equal representation, came at the cost of house burnings, killing gunshots, police dogs, fire hoses etc.  People of my age are ready to give back.  You have to get to this state to understand. 

Once upon a time, African-Americans could only get slave roles.  The first Academy award to a Black person was for a slave role I think.  Many people worked so hard.  They did research, statistics and lobbied for something better. 

Marvel should be thanked and congratulated for their efforts.  Marvel's efforts changed media for Black people.  Marvel should get an Image Award or something.  However, companies like Marvel have done all they can (conditionally?) do.

Like a child growing to adulthood, African-Americans have to embrace that the greatest work must be done by them in the end.  Marvel carried the "good blacks in media" baby until it could walk.  Now, it is time it walked. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:18:20 pm »
side note:
Last week, on the Tom Joyner Morning show, in two separate "This day in black history" segments, Milestone Comics were given a lengthy mention, as well as "Marvel Comics' Harlem connection" (Falcon, Power Man and Storm were specifically mentioned, as having been born there, and in Cage/Sam's case, having grown up there.)
Apparently these newsbriefs were originally posted at BlackAmericaweb.com
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 02:32:59 am »
side note:
Last week, on the Tom Joyner Morning show, in two separate "This day in black history" segments, Milestone Comics were given a lengthy mention, as well as "Marvel Comics' Harlem connection" (Falcon, Power Man and Storm were specifically mentioned, as having been born there, and in Cage/Sam's case, having grown up there.)
Apparently these newsbriefs were originally posted at BlackAmericaweb.com

Heard the same show,  Hype, although at the same time wonder why The Black Panther didn't get a mention.  :-\

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Be Kind to Someone Today.

The_Scribe

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:34 pm »
Do you want a "news brief"? 

Marvel is not alone as it was when doing comics in its heyday.  Marvel needs to make movies with Paramount, Disney, Sony etc.  Those "other" hands care nothing about fan loyalty or artistic impression on fans.  The only king this "other" people are aware of are monstrous warlords in Africa.  Cage is just a thug. 

Let me say this.  Don't get your hopes up only to be disappointed with the results.  Cage will be a Netflix TV character instead of a movie.  Panther may head that way also. 

Kiddies, it's time we got our own place.  Birds gotta fly...etc.