Author Topic: Back to the Garden  (Read 1482 times)

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Back to the Garden
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:46 pm »
In hindsight people mock the late '60s "hippie" movement.  They view it as naive, self-indulgent, drug-promoting and short-lived.

There was, however, much more to it.  In longing for the Age of Aquarius it reflected a longing for the Redemption of the whole of humanity. This is why, as I understand it, the Lubavitcher Rebbe viewed it, in that sense, as something positive, to be focused.

It was short-lived, because it was ungrounded. It had, however, a strong spiritual component. Many explored eastern mysticism. Many experimented with hallucinogenic drugs. For some, even this drug use reflected a striving to experience the divine unity and interconnectedness of all things.

I've my own theories why it originated when it did. We were in the midst of a bloody war. People, and particularly young men of draft age, were frightened. But there have been wars in the past and they did not trigger the same response. There is something else.

The "hippie" generation was the first generation to grow up under the shadow of the mushroom cloud, subjected as small children to repeated duck-and-cover drills to prepare for the imminent nuclear attack. As part of a global atomic war that could lead to the extinguishment of all human life. Faced with this unimaginably horrible prospect, they longed for an alternative.

So ... this generation was psychologically primed. To move on. To something better. To transform the world as we know it. To something more beautiful.

They were premature.

Still, perhaps they sensed something, on a  subliminal spiritual level. That this generation, my generation, was (and still is) on the cusp of something transcendently transformative that words can't describe?

There is speculation based on legitimate Jewish sources that the Geula, the Redemption, will take place in the year 5775.  That year begins this Rosh Hashana, the evening of September 24th.

This prospect is a source of both great anticipation and trepidation.  The cause for anticipation is obvious.  The trepidation comes from the fact that if Moshiach comes "at his appointed time" (his final due date) rather than before his appointed time, this will be accompanied by all the tribulations foretold by the prophets. The Birth Pangs of Moshiach.

This is frightening.  But, through the lens of the present geopolitical climate, this makes perfect sense.  Evil is openly raising its head.  In the Middle East and worldwide.  Israel's enemies will likely act in a major way before President Obama leaves office.  Because they don't know who his successor might be.

... and so I've been thinking about the dreams my generation had in the '60s.

... and wonder how they will come to fruition in my generation.

May Moshiach come before his appointed time, to transform the world to pure holiness, without hardship and suffering. Allowing us to openly perceive the interconnected Godliness in all Creation in love and awe.

Beating swords into plowshares and turning bombers into butterflies above our nation. 

As he leads us ... back to the Garden.

Joni Mitchell - Woodstock (Live In-Studio 1970): http://youtu.be/cRjQCvfcXn0
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:04:54 pm by michaelintp »
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the Garden
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:23:23 pm »
Oh, and don't get me wrong. I don't claim absolute certainty regarding any predictions. There have been times in the past where great rabbis either believed Moshiach had come or was coming at a certain time that came and went. There may be Kabbalistic explanations as to what they were describing, but that is beyond me.  In the past few years I took such predictions with a grain of salt. But this time feels different to me ... because geopolitical events and circumstances for the first time allow it to make sense, with the irrational alignment of the "nations of the world" and so forth. Which is why it is frightening as well as a source of hope. Of course I can't predict the future. Only God knows what is goinng to happen.
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:27:13 am »
Woodstock
by Joni Mitchell   

I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him where are you going
And this he told me
I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm
I'm going to join in a rock 'n' roll band
I'm going to camp out on the land
I'm going to try an' get my soul free

We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you
I have come here to lose the smog
And I feel to be a cog in something turning
Well maybe it is just the time of year
Or maybe it's the time of man
I don't know who I am
But you know life is for learning

We are stardust
We are golden
Back to the garden

By the time we got to Woodstock
We were half a million strong
And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation

We are stardust
Billion year old carbon
We are golden
Caught in the devil's bargain
back to the garden
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6