Author Topic: Black-ish  (Read 4958 times)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Black-ish
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:40:13 pm »
The new sitcom debuted tonight on ABC, what did everyone think of it?

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black-ish
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:08 pm »
I missed it!

I blame the internet!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:51:54 am »
Missed it!

I blame MSNBC!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:45:21 pm »
Just based on the pilot, it's cool so far.  I had already seen lots of the jokes/punchlines from the preview clips/ads, so I wasn't surprised by a lot.  I was amused, if not fall-on-the-floor-laughing.  But I hope that it maintains its momentum to be a fun sitcom that manages to make some social observations on race/class along the way.  Looks like Anderson's character works at an advertising agency.  So it looks like there's lots of opportunity for satirical ads to be created in-show.

..Seems like too many kids, with four.  But hey, we'll see.
Rainbow:  "...let's have some white yogurt.."
Jack and Diane (who was the Mellencamp fan?) "Yayyyy!!!!"   :o  (just plain yogurt?  at their age?  bleh..)

The Andre/'Andy' sequence kind of fell flat with me.  An alternate scenario could have been amusing, say if the son's name were spelled phonetically, and got detention for mouthing off to a classmate (or a teacher?) who initially insists that his name is "spelled wrong" ("Andray"!?!?!)           Or maybe they could have called him Deondre and made a recurring joke among all the suburban-folk who ask him what the "D" stands for... (never mind, I'm spitballing..)  ;)

...I'm not sure if the Fishburne character lives in the family home or not.
I dug the aside when Andy's friend casually starts fishing through the refrigerator, to dad's consternation...

... So was Andre doing the 'Afrikan-kultural' coming of age ceremony right?

... we haven't seen Rainbow's parents yet (wonder which parent is black?  Heh.)

side observation for future shows:
Andre's Dad"we're black, not African... they don't like us, no-way..."
maybe eventually they can explore "intra-cultural" issues among suburbanized black folks; in Andre and Rainbow's social circle of color, is there anybody who's from an immigrant African, Caribbean, background, etc.?  Do they even share Andre's "we're losing touch..." angst?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:29:05 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
Great show! The black-lash comes from black people not having a clear sense of culture. The first episode drops a lot of jewels: Dead Prez, African rights of passage & bar mitzvahs. If anyone can have a bar mitzvah- it’s black people. Moses married a black woman. Joseph married a black woman. Abraham was with Hagar & the other chick after Sara passed. Both were Black women. King Solomon was with the Queen of Sheba. Yep, she was black too. Face it, Hebrew community, we family.

The show reminds me of Chuck D & Flavor Flav (P.E.). The message is there, right along with the “YEEEAAH BWWOOOY!” 

Span-ish 

Brit-ish

Jew-ish

Engl-ish

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:23:54 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
Watching Anderson trying to give his son "the talk" now.

This dude is a fool. Ha!

Those little kids are pretty funny too.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:05:40 am »
Anthony Anderson getting into that fight with Harriet Tubman was hilarious. Except for the Ray Charles anniversary number, the Cosby Show was never that funny.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:01:45 am »
It isnt bad it isnt good just corny
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 04:56:13 pm »
Does Tracy Ellis-Ross have a tendency to be corny? Yes. Has Anthony Anderson been corny in everything I've ever seen him in? Yes. But the show itself somehow manages to skate the line. It also broaches topical Black subject matter in a way that's innovative and refreshing and that's commendable.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »
Has Anthony Anderson been corny in everything I've ever seen him in? Yes.

Anthony Anderson was at his best early in his movie career. He was capable of playing a bad guy and still be likeable.  He was also able to carry a whole movie to its conclusion by interacting with a digital character and human characters simultaneously.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:40:34 am »
Does Tracy Ellis-Ross have a tendency to be corny? Yes. Has Anthony Anderson been corny in everything I've ever seen him in? Yes. But the show itself somehow manages to skate the line. It also broaches topical Black subject matter in a way that's innovative and refreshing and that's commendable.
It is "refreshing" because of the many crappy realty shows that is out there. So anything that "appears positive" is refreshing.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 10:58:50 am »
It is "refreshing" because of the many crappy realty shows that is out there. So anything that "appears positive" is refreshing.

Nah I'm talking about Black sitcoms, which there's a dearth of right now. It's not like there were discussions on racial politics in the workplace on Hanging With Mr. Cooper, Family Matters or My Wife & Kids. There were on Girlfriends though and Black-ish is a throwback to that.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:46 am »

Nah I'm talking about Black sitcoms, which there's a dearth of right now. It's not like there were discussions on racial politics in the workplace on Hanging With Mr. Cooper, Family Matters or My Wife & Kids.

Or Half and Half or the Jamie Foxx show or The Parkers etc.

As far as Network TV goes, once you got past Black sitcoms that Bill Cosby ( or Norman Lear if you want to be old school about it) had anything to do with you weren't getting much in the way of relevance besides ROC.

But the point was that there was a balance. You didn't HAVE to watch the Waynans Bros.

You could watch Steve Harvey or vice versa.

You didn't have to watch The Parkers, you could watch the Coopers.

As it is now Blackish is the only Black sitcom on network. If House of Payne and Meet the Browns were still on the air this show would be judged in a completely different context.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:44:40 am by Vic Vega »