Author Topic: RIP Geoffrey Holder  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
RIP Geoffrey Holder
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Geoffrey Holder
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:11:11 pm »
Oh, heard about this over the radio this afternoon and was surprised and saddened to hear about Mr. Holder's passing.

If anyone want to see a spry and lithe Geoffrey Holder, just check out the Blaxploitative treatment of, 'Live and Let Die'.

If anyone wants to see a creative corporate Geoffrey Holder, just check out the hilariously romantic 'Boomerang'.

Thanks for giving those characters the depth they deserved, Mr. Holder.  Rest easy.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »
no!  An underrated, multi-disciplined talent, for sure!!  Had he simply lived in retirement in recent years?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:32:02 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
no!  An underrated, multi-disciplined talent, for sure!!  Had he simply lived in retirement in recent years?

You're absolutely right, Hype!

Geoffrey Holder (and his wife) were also established dancer(s), in the cultural arts scene in New York.
Sorry to see him go.  He will be missed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:07:39 pm by Battle »

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:43:07 pm »
Mr. Holder was/is magnificent and super talented.  I was re-watching Boomerang in his honor. I will watch Live and Let Die tomorrow.

Mr. Holder either worked or lived not too far from where I work,I would occasionally see him walking down the street.  I was amazed at how tall he was.

I also remember when I was in 7th or 8th grade, we went on a trip to Lincoln Center, where Mr. Holder was directing rehearsals for a group of dancers.

Amazing person.  He left his mark.  Thank you Mr. Geoffrey Holder.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:19:16 pm »
Mr. Holder was/is magnificent and super talented.  I was re-watching Boomerang in his honor. I will watch Live and Let Die tomorrow.

Someone pointed out an interesting piece of trivia in the comments section of that article posted, that Mr. Holder's character in the James Bond series is the only Bond villain to ever resurrect back from being killed.
I remember watching 'Live & Let Die' as a kid back-in-th'-day and being terrified of Voodoo imagery.
Mr. holder, indeed,  left an indelible impression.

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »
Battle,  you know I have never realized that!  I agree that Live and Let Die was creepy when I first saw it!  Especially the end of the movie with Mr. Holder as Baron Samedi on the train.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:55:27 am »
Aww man, I was just going to change my avi to Baron Samedi for Halloween. Does anyone else remember him in "the Gold Bug"?  It was a made for tv film for kids that was scarier than most. He was a good dude. R.I.P.

I just discovered that he and his older brother Boscoe were great artists. Their styles and subject matter were similar, lush scenes of their native Trinidad with it's regal inhabitants, but Boscoe's work was more refined while Geoffrey's was more emotionally charged and abstract. They're both gone now, but they've helped me a better creative person. Rest In Peace